Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Al! posted:

I first though "oh, Disneyland Adventures, that was a great NES game." And then I remembered that it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35A1bmXjQfY

Let's give them props: running around with your arms sticking out like a spaz is the true pre teen Disneyland experience. Clearly they are demonstrating their simulation roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Calling it now: X114JAM9 is Barack Obama.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

I wish it was more like an investment platform, so you could get equity in a project instead of just access and gewgaws, but that's legally unfeasible for now.

Gambitious allows exactly that. However it's based in Europe due to the legal issues mentioned. Unfortunately, investing is not allowed for U.S. Citizens (though they can pledge).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Toffile posted:

Shadowgate got funded, though it fell just short of expanding of its second stretch goal. :toot:

They opened a PayPal site so those goals might not be out of reach.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Suggestion for Stretch Goal: Almost Heroes mode. :-P

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of GODUS, they announced yesterday that every backer will have their face in Curiosity.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus/posts/371655

...if you ever fantasized about your faced being tapped by thousands of greasy fingers around the world, now's your chance.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Foglios don't have anything to do with this. Hell, only got Cheyenne Wright involved via a stretch goal, which Machination (which doesn't have anything to do with GG) managed from the get go.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's advertised on the Girl Genius webpage, one level rewards PDF versions of all published Girl Genius TPBs plus the Secret Blueprints, and the $1000 pledge reward includes having your name put in the strip and being sent the original art for that strip. There is going to be an absolute world of poo poo flying around if the Foglios are not involved.

Oh, must have missed that. My bad.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

XboxPants posted:

For instance, take Ravaged and Tales of Fallen London. Both asked for $10K-$15K, and ended up getting about $40K. And they were both able to finish and release their game with that money. Except, Tales of Fallen London is a text-based browser game, and Ravaged is a full-3D multiplayer, vehicular FPS. You can't judge the scope of a game solely based on how much money they're asking for.

Also, the Ravaged devs claimed the game was very near completion when they started the project. They just needed the extra money to finish it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...uh...is there some problem with Polygon that I am not aware of?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

At least we'll always have Wildman dong.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Ether One looks neat - it's kina Amnesia meets Inception.

...is this on Kickstarter? This is a Greenlight page and can't find a KS page. Because if it is a KS I'd gladly back it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BTW, for those who don't know, Road Redemption made it with a little less than 48 hours to go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkseasgames/road-redemption

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing they're going the "spiritual successor" route unless they plan to ask for several million to get the license back.

Which creates the funny situation of having three different Syndicate successors released in 2013/2014 (Black Annex, Paradox Interactive's Cartel and this)

EDIT: The site is called "Satellite Reign". Thought so.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

As an aside, it got me wondering about synonyms for Syndicate. Cartel is right out the window for obvious reasons but Trust, as in Teddy Roosevelt's trust busting, has a lot of interesting possibilities either as a single world name or in a longer title. Especially given how most citizens are brainwashed and you can't trust anyone.

"Consortium" is also sadly taken.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I assumed Satellite Reign to be the name they're going with, myself.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So that's what was inside the cube.

Tiny Peter Molyneux.

Why am I not surprised?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Toffile posted:

I wonder how much of it will come out of the KS pool.

"Bryan Henderson From Edinburgh" is going to wake up and find his house and/or car graffitied with the Kickstarter logo.

Multiple times.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

KuroKisei posted:

By all that is Gaben, I hope this doesn't end up on Steam for that reason.

Well, it would still have to get through Greenlight, and I don't see people voting for it BECAUSE they want a new Bad Rats.

Then again, strange things have bypassed Greenlight...

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe they could do a guest appearance in this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bitcoinlife/life-on-bitcoin-a-documentary-film?ref=live

...I kind of want to watch this just to know how the hell you can buy groceries with bitcoins.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Tangiers is down to 20 hours, and at this point, should easily hit the $40k commentary stretch goal. I really wish it'd hit the $52k reality tears one, but that's pretty unlikely. It miiiiighhhht hit the extra difficulty at $45k still, but I don't really care as much about that one.

I don't think I've ever wanted a game to hit the highest stretch goals as much as this one (with the possible exception of Satellite Reign). So freaking sad. :(

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

U55 - End Of The Line might have a rather lame title (between that and the thumbnail I thought it was a U-boat simulator), but it looks like a rather neat horror game that claims to be based on the Cthulhu mythos.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 21, 2013

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

It's disappointing that it actually isn't about a German U-Boat crew fighting off Deep Ones or something, that sounds rather cool. A horror game set entirely in a subway sounds pretty boring though, subway levels are usually the blandest areas in survival horror games and I should know I love the genre.

Even if the game were to somehow be set entirely inside the subway (which I doubt), A) European subway stations usually have a lot of variety to them and B) Metro 2033 proved it could work.

Also, we already had a game that had "Submarine crew vs. Cthulhu", it was called Prisoner of Ice.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This thing seems pretty hardcore, their description of their sound design suggests that they're using the same technology that Pokemon used to get people to kill themselves.

I honestly can't tell if the developers believe that poo poo or if they just wanted to inject some humor into their survival horror pitch. Either way it does not inspire much confidence.

I also can't wait for the top quality voice acting the game will feature, seeing as they're enlisting such illustrious actors as "person who pledges enough money."

Yeah, the binaural beat thing made me raise an eyebrow as well. I've listened to those and I suppose they sound SOMEWHAT creepy so whatever.

re: the voice acting, they explicitly state that one of the things they need money for is to hire decent VAs.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Everything seemed interesting until I saw the word Cthlulhu. Stealing that setting for your own is such a creatively bankrupt thing to do I instantly lose any interest in any game that does so.

Dark Corners of the Earth was a great game that unfortunately drowned in a sea of technical mishaps.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 21, 2013

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm waiting for the day somebody describes their game as "Dark Souls meets Dark Souls" and then watch it never get funded. Or overfunded. I have no idea how normal people react when they hear Dark Souls get namedropped constantly.

Dark Souls 3 will be entirely funded via Kickstarter. :v:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

Well, this is odd. Square Enix is setting up a service that lets developers propose game concepts using SE's IPs. If people vote enough interest ala Greenlight, and there's enough evidence that they can actually do it, they get to take their idea to Indiegogo for funding.

Not sure what to think of this, honestly. It seems a bit unclear.

Cue 5 umpteen billion cries of "Why isn't CAPCOM doing this?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex and Thief aren't on the table I don't really know what they expect people to pitch.

Kane and Lynch will rise again! :v:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wonder if they can eventually expand into the entire EU. That would be freaking insane.

Shindragon posted:

Well what is the last thing he ever did beyond voicing Snake? I mean yeah he was a screenwriter but ya know not much there either in terms of recent activity.

Wasn't he also in that other Kickstarter game with Hale? Republique? What happened to that one?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Oh cool, they'll still release on Steam? I guess we'll get another game that cuts to a wall of text saying, "The End, suckers!" like Dark Matter just did.

Eden Industries also did a Kickstarter for Waveform which failed yet made the game anyway (it's quite good, you should definitely give it a shot).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shalinor posted:

It takes almost a minute to get to anything that even remotely looks like a game, and I still couldn't tell you what the game actually is. Cerebral / avante garde is not the tone to strike when you're dealing with internet attention spans.

Between the terrible video and IndieGoGo - "that's why." It's got cool style, but I have no clue whatsoever what that is trying to be beyond "stylish."

I thought that crowdfunding would finally allow my Portuguese countrymen to finally create an actual games industry but it seems I am mistaken.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Windforge launched a Kickstarter to essentially finish the game.

I remember seeing that pre-alpha video they have down the page a few months ago and thinking "...this looks stupid and janky as hell". Now it's honestly looking kind of neat.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's something endearing about "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy."

Speak for yourself. Every time I hear that title I can't help but think "...they're making a game about the Greek economy"?

"Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore" just sounds generic.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I hate Dead State on principle because any property with that name should be about zombies in the White House. :colbert:

Also, is it just me or have game titles gone through every single combination of "Dead [NOUN]"?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Good news for Confederate Express fans: a VC firm has decided to fund all their single player stretch goals in exchange for some short term contract work:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects..._project_update

The devs assure that they will keep independence. Hope that's the case.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 17, 2013

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Reset has shortly over 48 hours and 23k Euros to go. They're really getting desperate and started a referral competition. I don't care as much about the competition (though winning wouldn't hurt :v:) as much as seeing this get made. My referral link is below:

http://igg.me/p/565603/x/5363898

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Reset made it with 13 hours left to go. :)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...I'm going to have to disagree. I watched the video and for a minute I thought this was supposed to be a Heavy Rain ripoff. Nope, they claim it's a first person shooter...and yet they give us a clearly pre-rendered video that shows some gameplay that looks as uninteractive as hell.

Even if you cast your common sense aside and assume this is meant to be a proof of concept instead of outright fraud, this is probably the worst way to go about it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey Brony Dating Sim Guys, your proposed UI absolutely loving sucks, just to let you know. There's too many fonts, it's all overly elaborate and busy, and in at least one screenshot, the character art is actually covering up a dialogue option. Big nono.

It shows how jaded I am that that's the part that pisses me off most.

Same here. My exact thoughts were "Look, if you want to do this, then all power to you, but can you AT LEAST fix the horrific layout and mishmash of fonts?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pann looks pretty neat.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kickstarter Gaming - Who says God doesn't exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I can't actually think of any Kickstarter games that reached release that were bad. There were a few that were mediocre, but they seem more likely to just fail.

No Time To Explain was borderline unplayable and Orion: Dino Horde was near universally panned.