Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Honestly I would like Obsidian to make something liked TWD and Wolf Among Us, not all games need to have standard combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Honestly I find the QTE combat in TWD and Wolf a lot more exciting than a bunch of convoluted D&D-esque mechanics could ever be. QTEs are usually like the nadir of good game design but Telltale actually did them right for the most part.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 11, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

I disagree with you. Violently.
Agree to disagree then, because I almost never play WRPGs for the combat.

CommissarMega posted:

Obsidian's Magical Diary? I'd play that. I'd play the poo poo out of that.
I'd definitely be in for some more Long Live the Queen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still can't get over how Dalton of all characters managed to beat Crono, Lucca, and Marle. Dalton.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah Chapters is looking really good already, its taking a page from the newer adventure games like Telltale's or KRZ and making their own twist on it. The whole having your character explain the dialogue options for you thing makes me kind of baffled that it was never even considered for a game before, it looks like it will add a lot of nice characterization too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Any new word about the date for the Pathologic remake?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Butt Ghost posted:

That doesn't sound like too terrible a loss. What has Silicon Knights even made? Eternal Darkness is a classic, and while I like Twin Snakes, apparently it has a negative reaction from other MGS fans. Too Human wasn't that great, plus it was in development forever. And that X-Men game is supposed to be terrible. Of the four games I know of from them, only one actually received a positive reaction, and I have no idea how it sold.
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen was good, but it was Crystal Dynamics that really made the series.

Their dumbest mistake was ever leaving Nintendo because they were the only thing keeping them from being godawful.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

odiv posted:

That's how the Veronica Mars Kickstarter worked, wasn't it?
Yeah, WB wanted proof that there would be enough of a market for the movie to let them use the rights to make it.

Also here's a good project that's video game related, the creators of Wakfu are running a Kickstarter for an English dub of the cartoon and a Blu-Ray release of the first season. I have no desire to play the source material, an MMO, but the cartoon is quite good, especially the first season.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

If what that update says has any kind of widespread truth to it then the next eighteen months or so will be interesting from the major Publishers.
This generation is probably going to destroy them. THQ was just the beginning.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

fez_machine posted:

DON'T BACK MMO PROJECTS. NEVER DO IT! They are always too good to be true, and will inevitably die. MMOs with hundreds of millions of dollars behind them fail, why should a kickstarted one be any different?
This, MMOs are a dying genre and WoW is barely even profitable now. It's only going to end in tears and .jpgs of spaceships.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just want an Anachronox 2 that doesn't end up a crappy sequel like Third Birthday.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, it is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just preordered the game months back and I'd say I got my money's worth on Part 1 alone.

But yeah, I'd say that only preorder if you're absolutely sure you'll like it and you'll play it when it first comes out; otherwise its a lot smarter to wait. Though in the case of Kickstarters they need the money to even exist in the first place, unlike plain pre-orders usually.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Megazver posted:

Ice-Pick Lodge's Dybovskiy did a Q&A about the Pathologic remake in VKontakte a few days ago:
Man, I'm hyped. But yeah I can see what they were talking about when they said what they were asking for would be too high. La Mulana had trouble getting funded for like a 1/4 of that and Pathologic is even more obscure.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shalinor posted:

Everyone who beared their soul a bear pun (and continuing on to the end of this page) will now get an Excellent Title, unless they grow winter turncoats and explain how Goat Simulator will drive Bear Simulator back into hibernation.

(Goat Simulator isn't a KS, but it still kinda shocks me that this is a game that is being made, and will seemingly be releasing roughly in competition with bear simulator)
Goat Simulator let's you use your grotesque chameleon-like tongue to grasp items like axes and benches and become a whirling dervish of pain and suffering as you tear apart quiet suburbia by breaking into people's homes and leaving devastation in your wake.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It will, Kickstarters that makes it past the half-way mark usually make it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Really you would think people would know by now that you really need to hit the ground running and release everything you have in the first few days which are essential. Holding on to stuff just screws you over and it just makes you look like you have no idea what you're doing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 23, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Broken Age is only half done currently, but its really drat good. Kentucky Route Zero is similar.

I wasn't a fan but people really like Faster Than Light too.

I also liked Giana Sisters, up until it got really bullshit towards the end.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

The last couple of stages were a massive fuckfest, but the expansion was REALLY good and made up for it.
That's good to hear, I'll have to start it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Monte Cook also owns Numenera and he's part of the development crew for Torment 2, so there really isn't any problems there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Silicon Knights is defunct. Eidos has a studio in Canada though, Eidos Montreal.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Among the Sleep is getting released next week on May 29. That's the horror game where you play as a toddler.

I'm a backer and it sounds like its been coming along well so I'm looking forward to it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh cool, I forgot about that. It looks cool but I'm wondering how much of a horror game it's going to be once you leave the house part. Did you take part in any of the alpha or beta testing at all? I can't remember what tiers those were, if they had them.
Nah, I just went with the early bird game tier.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Oh another thing, you can preorder Among the Sleep on Humble Store for 20 dollars too.

And yeah I read that article, I'm getting pretty hyped. That video they had months back with Kian in the prison looked really good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They actually put up a Steam page for it a few weeks back and I as all like "The premise of this game sounds pretty cool", then I saw who's developing it and all my interest died instantly. What a waste of a cool premise for a game. I wish someone like the KRZ guys or Fullbright thought of this instead.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dreamfall Chapters originally was planned to be episodic for years when it was under Funcom, (Hence the title) but they tried making a whole game for the Kickstarter, so it really isn't a big deal at all. And yeah episodic works, while Episode 3 took a while KRZ is fantastic and Telltale's games are great too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
3 was a more fun game to actually play than 2, but 4 is better than both of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
By the way for people who don't know Pillars of Eternity beta comes out August 18th.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope if he does it isn't just Castlevania with the names filed off like Mighty No. 9 is to Mega Man. I'd love a new Metroidvania, because I think the recent indie ones aren't as good as both Metroid and Castlevania, but I want it to be its own thing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were both good games. :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm betting that Star Citizen will end up like the Ouya, it actually gets released but it blows, but it just kind of whimpers and fades away instead of being a glorious trainwreck.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yogscast will make you their bitch.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just as a heads up Unrest, the story-driven RPG set in a fantasy world ancient India is out. I played the demo some time ago and I liked it and my buddy on Steam gifted it to me so I'll see how it ends up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sorry Rich, but you'll always be small-time compared to Myskam.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The fallout when Star Citizen either comes out and is poo poo or Roberts just takes the money and runs is going to be beautiful.

Yodzilla posted:

Oh welp I never heard that. I meant more take the money and run to a country where he can do a lot of drugs and hang out with warlords.

e: wait i can't find anything on the web about John McAfee doing that either. what's the story there?
Wasn't that his son?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

It is immensely depressing to me that people will happily donate money to get some kind of lovely plastic knicknack but not so the person making the product they enjoy can goddamn eat.
That's nerds for you.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Honestly I'm no game designer but I'm sure if they were smart Star Citizen would have been out already, even if it was bare-bones at first. Because then they could use the amount of money that rivals the GDP of some countries they collected to just fund new content updates every couple of months in order to keep the game alive because that's the most important thing for an MMO, to keep an active player base. But what I do know, I'm not Chris Roberts.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well at least they are being honest. How many games have honestly had your decisions matter to the story and not just change around names/location orders/add a little dialogue? Just off the top of my head: Witcher 2 has a different middle section with completely different locations, characters, and quests, so that's one. But I can't think of any others offhand.
Alpha Protocol.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DoctorTristan posted:

Godus just goes through a repeated cycle of disappointing you, then vaguely promising to do better later if you give it one more chance.
The Peter Molyneux way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MOBA is already kind of becoming kind of a nebulous buzzword though, i.e. they called the new Legacy of Kain, Nosgoth, a MOBA but its a team-based arena FPS.