Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Naar posted:

Speaking of projects in moon dollars, Tangiers looks really interesting - like Thief meets David Lynch. From the videos the art direction is great, and the concept of the levels rearranging themselves based on past actions is pretty cool.

I will probably back it. I just love what they are doing.

And then I will turn off the project updates so I don't see it die a slow death. I really don't think they can make it... Curse you, moon money!

Edit: Actually, this is a 28 day campaign, so it does not look as bad for them as I initially thought.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

Its actually tough figuring out a conversion rate from money to franks or whatever that symbol stands for.

It's easy.

The currency is Pounds. One pound is 454 grams. So you pay a kilogram for about every 2.2 pounds of kickstarter backing. I'm still trying to figure out what they want all this weight for, but who am I to know... I don't get imperial units. And what form do they want this weight in? Duct tape? Rebar? Rotten fish?

That is... Unless they want the British money Pounds Sterling, in which case google tells me it you multiply your USD by about 1.52 to get GBP.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=1+gbp+in+usd

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

Also, Tangiers is off to a solid start.

One can hope.

I get a very strong Thief vibe from it and want it to succeed.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Now I'm curious.

Have there been any other major Kickstarter disasters such as this Erik one?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

stille posted:

Crossing my fingers for Tangiers - it looks cool as hell

Thirding Tangiers. It really reminds me of the original Thief in spirit.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tangiers made it with a few days to spare.

Whew!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Overflight posted:

I don't think I've ever wanted a game to hit the highest stretch goals as much as this one (with the possible exception of Satellite Reign). So freaking sad. :(

Ah, they had a good run. The GBP doomed them from the start and yet they got funded and even got a bit extra.

I don't think they managed the end of their campaign the best. I know their reasons, but the end was a bit lackluster. Opening up a paypal with USD would have been a big boost, I think. So would a countdown live stream...

EDIT: And we can always hope for ThiefTangiers Gold.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

That's an interesting idea for sure but I'm not entirely certain how that translates into compelling gameplay or level design. Also I wonder what sort of creature hello.jpg would translate to.

There was a genre-ambigous game called "Inner space." which did this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Inner_Space

It was the best thing ever. Files were resources, directories were levels. The game was non-linear and thankfully you did not have to clear the entire hard-drive to finish...

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gorgeous Gorge posted:

Death Road to Canada just went up (along with a steam greenlight), made by rocketcat games who were the dudes who did punch quest, mage gauntlet, and the hook champ series on the iphone. It's their first attempt to break out of mobile gaming, and I'm sold entirely on the fact they've got the guy who made dwarf fortress endorsing the game in his video. Endorsing it while he wears a crown.

Also the game looks pretty great too.

I love the music on this thing. Reminds me of the NES, in the best way possible. As soon I learn about the DRM status, I'm backing.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain what is the fuss about that Mighty #9 game?

Ok, so we have here a Megaman sequel. Why is this significant?

I'd like to see the light, but I fail so far.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Capcom posted:

Okay, all Megamen cancelled.

Ah. I see. This is about Revenge. I can understand that.

It does look kinda neat. Maybe I should too... Maybe...

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wendell posted:

General Chaos was really loving cool, and a modern version has every reason to be excellent. Good news.

Yeah, it was a good game.

I absolutely hate the new art though. 125k is a bit steep of a goal too, so I think this one may be dead on arrival.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From the Hyper Light Drifter kickstarter:

quote:

I've dealt with some very debilitating and difficult health issues throughout my life, left with few answers as to what exactly was occurring within. This was only amplified in the past few years. Now I have answers, and more importantly a path, which is potentially life-changing in a very positive way.

Oh dear. This sounds ominous. Last time someone I knew got a "life-changing diagnosis" and "found a new good path" things did not end well... As in: All fun projects and school abandoned, creativity and personality eaten by medicine that is supposed to help but did the contrary. (Hope you are doing better now, buddy.) I'm probably wrong, but I don't think I will be backing it.

Backed the Road to Canada. The dogtaur in their last update did it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

Think positively. Maybe he found jesus, and now the game will feature a Satanic bossfight.

... regardless, Hyper Light Drifter still looks to me like "basically completed game that only needs some content," so hopefully it'll be immune from that kind of change.

EDIT: Heh, from the update he sent out tonight - this is TOTALLY a satan boss

Hail!

I wish finding religion were the case. This sounds more like: "Hey, you should know, since I have to keep you all informed. I have a terrible disease that has been tearing me apart for years and has been worsening as of late! I don't like to talk about it. But don't worry guys, I think I have just found the thing for it! It is life changing, I tell you!"

Pretty good art though... :10bux: ain't that much...

Maybe.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

Woah woah hold the loving phone. Hyper Light Drifter and Samurai Gunn are being made by the same programmer?

Everybody, please give him all the money. Like, run don't walk to the Kickstarter. You have NO IDEA how good Samurai Gunn is. It was set up at PAX, over in the very corner of the Octodad booth, and it was festooned with so many "Best of..." award stickers that you couldn't see one side of the large TV. Octodad was effectively outshown by it. Octodad. By a goofy little pixelated game about samurais shooting eachother.

It is Really. Really. Really. Really. Good. It has some of the best controls I've ever touched. If that guy (or gal) is behind it... you've got zero to worry about. It will control like a dream.

I had no idea what Samurai Gunn is. The video is boring to me and I don't like the concept.

Still, if you so strongly think it is good, then I will gamble on the Drifter. Bye :10bux:.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

You can get your photographed-claymation adventure game fix, but without supporting He Who Shall Not Be Named!

Ummm? Who?

Is this a reference to Amikrog? I thought I heard there was someone disagreeable there. What is the backstory for that?

I live under a rock.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bieeardo posted:

I was mildly annoyed, mainly because I've been waiting on a patch for SRR for a couple of months-- their last one hosed things up in precisely the way it was supposed to fix things for other people. Otherwise, eh. They wouldn't be the first outfit to do something like that, and it probably is going to be pretty close either way.

I'm a bit pissed off too. I wanted that native Linux support.

There also is a hillarious bug. Sometimes an attack instead of going to the proper target goes towards every thing on the map. This looks great (a massive whirlwind of bullets). The bad news is that it does not discriminate between friends and foes and I tend to play squishy mage-ish characters for my main character. They don't tend take the autoshotgun burst to the chest from one meter away very well. And the checkpoints can be far away...

So, yeah. I'd like my Linux support or at least some bugfixes for stuff that ain't quite right.

I still love that game, given what I paid for it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Another shadowrun update.

It kinda sounds like this 1.1 update is what the game should have been at launch... Lots of groovy stuff added.

Probably the version which launches with Berlin will be the one to play, once that comes.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Holy loving poo poo this artwork rules.

BAAAAAAAAAACKED.

This project is for the people who enjoy pain.

Pure evil project that tortures people for a long time posted:

Estimated delivery: Jan 2015

This is cruel and terrible!

Backed.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fart of Presto posted:

The kickstarter for Paradise Lost: First Contact is up and running.

While the title of this game is as generic as it can get, I really like the graphics style. Reminds me of Confederate Express, Hyper Light Drifter and all those other games that finally figured out how to do decent sprite graphics on limited budget, without going all-out Minecraft or Habbo Hotel.

The description says: "Take the role of an alien plant and escape from a hostile scientific facility, full of secrets and dangerous experiments."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP66bmLqRTg

Neat.

Too bad I have my doubts about the success of this getting funded, but who knows.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Modus Pwnens posted:

Is there a reason why Between Me and the Night is languishing with $766 of $70000 after the first week? At first glance it looks pretty cool to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF855cJJujc

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/between-me-and-the-night

I don't know. The stuff that they put out there really did not intrigue me. I don't like their graphics too.

Indiegogo is a factor, I believe.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Hyper Light Drifter combat video is up. (I think it may be for backers only.)

While the music and art design are fantastic, I want to call out the lighting here - over the course of the video a "spotlight" forms on the protagonist. I only caught it towards the end ("was that always there?") and it's a terrific touch.

I think what you are seeing is maybe a day-night cycle and the "spotlight" is the light radius at night?
I really don't see it early in the video. Just as well, I'd hate a permanent spotlight.

The video is public on youtube, so I don't think I'd be runining everything by posting it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu9w5P_7apA

EDIT: The update is public anyway.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
About Dex:

In their pitch video the whole section from 0:53 to 1:00 makes me want not to back it.

Timing puzzles with acid droplets and pistons? Come on! Cliche as hell.

Also: Fistfights in a cyberpunk world. Boo. Deus ex at least had a police baton, electric stun prod, pepper spray, fire extinguishers, a knife and a sword that doubles as a flashlight. Shadowrun has claw implants or mystical adepts who use magic in their melee fights. All those are more cyberpunk than fistfights.

Maybe I'm picky, but this one is a strong "no" for me.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 15, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fart of Presto posted:

I really hope Reset makes it, but as with most other Indiegogo projects I have supported, their biggest problem is lack of project updates throughout the campaign.

I'd say the price too. I can throw 10$ at a project. Maybe 15$. Never more. If the project dies, that's fine. No big loss.
At 25E this is more than twice my limit.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

I think I like E and H way better than the one that won.

E is easily the most expressive one of them all. Really neat faces. She seems most alive of them all.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Darkest Dungeon is now at 88k/75k. Funded!

Starting to feel the tug of temptation here...

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Your First Sim posted:

I watched the video, and I feel like this is an experiment done by aliens who don't really understand humanity.

Ah, that reminds me of a great thing I once read. I went roughly like that:

quote:

Shut up and cooperate, human. Or I will stop all but one of your hearts. Now go and mate with this human female pony.

It is from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_the_Homicidal_Maniac

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Arrrthritis posted:

That's just her cross to bear.

She chose to bear witness to this great thing.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No doubt with a stretch goal where the bikinis take "battle damage."

Your clothes cannot take battle damage if all you are wearing is your own skin.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

That said, I will award a fancy title to the first person that makes an embarrassing/counter-productive piece of art that could be mistaken for promo art for that game.

Squee! Bring it on!

EDIT: In all the deliberately artifacted jpeg glory!

(I'm new to this. Some please do a better job!)

EDIT2: God, I'm worse than terrible with this. Then again, I did happen to have 3 minutes spare, which is more than he spent on research.

EDIT3: Avatar-size and another minute of my precious life pissed away for production of worthless crap! Oh God!:

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 27, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm starting to worry about Tangiers:

Last Tangiers update posted:

The project went through some fairly difficult time around the time of the last update and the month following. First off was an... unfortunate situation leaving the other half of the team homeless and without a workspace.

[...]

Second hurdle was a long prearranged, immovable fortnight abroad (not paid for with Kickstarter money... don't worry!). Just as things are getting back together, I'm out of the frame. Not the best way to regain momentum. Slowly guiding things forwards, but.

[...]

Net result of this is less overall progress than anticipated and of being unable to deliver the previously promised trailer.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, something tells me that KS is not going to deliver if they can't even put together a trailer.

I was more worried about the "homeless team" bit. The trailer is just a cherry on the sundae.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you read the rest of that update? The game seems to be coming along pretty well.

True, but how many other fuckups will happen along the way?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fwoderwick posted:

The younger me demands I buy into this, the current me questions the pricing structure. It's the same issue I had with Satellite Reign which is they've got a comparitively miniscule number of early bird places (as a proportion of the overall total they're asking for), which is expensive enough sight unseen before adding on an extra $5 if you don't jump in right away.

On the other hand Outcast is one of the most wonderful games I've ever played...

Yeah, expensive...
My rule of thumb is not to pay 10$ for small games and 15$ for big ones.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Decius posted:

Outcast Remake HD put up some in-game footage now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir5Jmd0CRKc

That was both neat and unbearable at the same time. I know of few people with a more annoying voice and the uhms are killing me.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Myron posted:

There's a gameplay video for Outcast Reboot HD now. It seems like they'll barely make it, but won't reach any of their stretch goals, which is a little disappointing. I'd love to see Outcast 2, but that seems very unlikely unless this remake gets much more popular than it is now.

Nice visuals, but the voiceover is killing me. Something about the way this guy talks makes me want to punch my headset in the face.

Take the food out from your mouth and speak clearly, for gently caress's sake!

Too bad it won't make it.

EDIT: Yeah, lots of strange English too: "... you will see them eat, drink, sleep, or being intrigued ... "

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just had a thought.

Can we make it a probational offense to post here without a month of prior posting history?

It would save us a bunch of hassle, I think.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rebellion534 posted:

I have now added a short version for less hassle, thank you very much for the suggestion.

:ughh:

Yeah, what the guy above said.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Witchmarsh is some sort of sidescrolling supernatural RPG set in the '20s with a gorgeous pixely aesthetic.

In pounds. Won't fund. :(

Plus they have those drat stupid stick legs. Ugh.

Too bad, had potential.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Another thing: It is made in Game Maker. Same thing as Risk of Rain. This may mean that it will run slow as poo poo. This alone does not make it a bad game, RoR is pretty great. But it is a factor to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anarch posted:

Move over Amplitude and Universim! bob's game was just funded with nearly $6000 out of nowhere.

Probably a failed troll. Someone backed for lots of money, hoping to withdraw in the last minutes. All that without realising that once funded you cannot cause the project to unfund...