Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't understand all the claims in the Class of Heroes Kickstarter that our donations will make for an even better translation. So it'll be a half-assed lovely one if I don't pay? Are they holding a quality localization hostage? THAT'S WEIRD.

I would have considered giving them money if they were offering the digital version as a "reward", since I do want a dungeon crawl on my PSP. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, I'm digging this art style, the idea isn't bad, and they were the guys who made Legend of Fae which I remember being well received. This has all signs of being a good project. Their goal is just $8000, and $10 gets you the game.

Wow, I might just give them money simply because they have a reasonable goal. This just makes $69,000 for that Metacell game even more retarded.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Occupation posted:

I dunno why people keep on saying this as a valid complaint when Auditorium 2 asked for 60k and Banner Saga asked for 100k.

I mean, for just 5 bucks on the Metacell 2 KS you get copies of both it and Metacell 1; that's a pretty good deal imo.

It's a valid complaint because either they're making a puzzle game the likes of which there are countless free versions of on Flash game sites, and in that case why do they need so much money, or they're making something else entirely but they don't indicate what exactly it will be so in that case why do they expect to get so much money?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All right, I just looked at Cloudberry Kingdom. I don't even want to touch that, it looks unbelievably frustrating.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Caerus posted:

I don't like the top-down view. :(

Too bad, I absolutely loved Shadows of Darkness. If you can get past the bugs, that game is an absolute gem.

At the bottom of the page they have a FAQ section that says the top down screenshot is a placeholder, and the painted backgrounds they show are more what they're aiming for.

And how can anyone hate Meeps?

AND Quest for Glory 2 didn't have a "random" maze, it just had a regular maze. Which they give you a map for, even! It was still a bad idea, and it's good that the remake fixed it.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 20, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

the black husserl posted:

No, it turned its main city into a lovely endless maze. You had to navigate a terrible maze to buy something!

It's maybe the only point and click I've never finished.

I'm just saying it wasn't random, not that it wasn't bad! The game comes with a packed in map of the city so you give up pretty easily though.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Well I imagine Shalinor mentioned King's Quest 3 specifically because it is the biggest rear end in a top hat game in history. That thing loves to punish the player.

And of course I was playing KQ4 the other day and walked off a cliff to my death after ten minutes of aimless wandering. Any other game would have had your character stop at the edge, but Roberta Williams just loved to be mean.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

Things are not looking so good for Hero-U.

This seriously bums me out.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

DStecks posted:

You're talking about a perfect DM AI, I'm just talking about something good enough to work. Characters can be procedurally generated, and dialogue could be mostly canned but with a thesaurus or something. It doesn't all need to be from scratch, just enough to fool the player. I don't mean to suggest this would be easy, but it's quite possible.

Well that's just picking nits, and it's certainly no reason to be all "Ugh!! They don't know what they're talking about and the game they're making will probably suck!!!"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm glad Hero U ended up reaching its goal, it was really cutting it close.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

I'm not going to lie, I wanted this to fail.

100k stretch goal for a Companion Meep, no thanks.

Well that's pretty pointlessly spiteful.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

MikeJF posted:

What would 32 bit even mean? Bit used like that generally refers to console generation and we went straight from 16 to 64, compeditors notwithstanding.

I can't see myself.playing much Radio the Universe, but the 25 dollar tier is tempting me just for the extra content. And speaking of which, it's pretty telling there's more backers at $25 - game plus artistic/soundtrack content than there is at $10 - game.

32 bit was used by magazines (EGM and Gamepro at least) at the start of the PS1/Saturn/3D0/and so on generation simply because it was something easily understood by readers as meaning, "Better than the old stuff."

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Personally I think it's completely stupid to try to keep updates private. If it's bad news about your project of the "ha ha we hosed you over" style, everyone will know anyway. And if it's good news or just an informational update, then people who heard about your KS after it ended will be left cold wondering what the deal is.

e: I know you weren't saying anything to the contrary, it just honestly boggles my mind

Yeah, it's absolutely retarded to keep updates restricted to only those who paid. Really great way to not get anyone outside of the funders interested in the project at all. "I wonder when that's scheduled to come out? Oh, they won't tell me. Guess I don't really care then."

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That is just blatantly poor, amateurish art and there's no point in denying it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I want to see American McGee do something original and not "your favorite fairy tale but dark and twisted!!" He's the Tim Burton of video games.

Then brother, you want Bad Day L.A.!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scrapland had a nice little themetune, which is the only thing I know about it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Uh, I want to donate to that so if anyone can figure out if I'd be giving my 15 bucks to a pedophile furry that'd be great.

Steampunk Gent was talking out his rear end.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Whoa, all this time I've been confusing Tom Hall with the muscly Jason Hall.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

the black husserl posted:

These guys are amazing! Their remake of Quest for Glory III stands with the best point and clicks.

I'm sure you meant Quest for Glory 2, but all the same, come on, it's one of the best point and clicks because it already was, they just updated it a little.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"Here you go, early adopters, something that will help you give us more money!" is slightly insulting.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Harlock posted:

I haven't used the term 'mobs' since I played MUDs probably 10-15 years or so ago.

Anything is better than referring to your characters as 'toons' though.

Yeah, that's awful. Where the hell did toons even come from?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

BattleHamster posted:

This was a fun watch, but her pronunciation of "Karateka" made the sperg inside of me weep.

How on Earth do you say it? Like, "Erotica"?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Okay, so yes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Never thought I'd see someone complaining that a game isn't drab and brown.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I mainly think it's bizarre that people are throwing so much money at the company that brought us Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

A series whose entire claim to fame was being more violent than other entries in the genre, one where you whip people in the face with chains until they fall off their speeding bike onto the highway, is too violent because it has guns. All right.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

C'mon, having a map does not make something like Metroid. Orzo was absolutely right to say that the carefully planned progression of a Metroid title can't be replicated in a randomly generated world since they're striving for different goals entirely!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

And let's not forget Dare to Dream!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't really like the sound of the final Divinity stretch goal, just seems like needless complications and time wasters. Didn't think I'd be rooting against these guys getting money...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Drifter posted:

I'm honestly curious as to what you think a member of that length would be able to do for you. What credibility does that add?

Since you failed to get the joke, none.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Drifter posted:

What about it, specifically, do you like? From the trailer the writing looks poor.

The idea seems neat, I'll grant you.

Then I guess that's what he likes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

KuroKisei posted:

Just found another gem called Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet! (Retro Pirate Adventure). Looks like a pretty average point and click adventure game, but I love his video. He's how I picture the average goon except that he has a GIRLFRIEND.

This guy has a pretty good sense of humour, evidenced by the vid.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Starting to worry? There's, like, zero chance of hitting that goal.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

miscellaneous14 posted:

Man, A Hat in Time looks absolutely fantastic so far. I've read at least a couple of complaints that they're "ripping off" Wind Waker's style though, which is just :psyduck:.

Yeah, it's clear that the only thing they're ripping off is Barry Hatter.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dang, those designs are so derivative. Moogles, Robo, Garland, and the main dude from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance all make slightly altered cameos apparently.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Original_Z posted:

Anyone being kind of put-off by the stretch goals for Boss Fight Books? They announced that the creator of the ZZT book, Anna Anthropy, would make a new game in ZZT if the stretch goal was reached. It was and then they announced that the ZZT game would only be made if someone pledged to a new $1000 goal, because she deserved to be paid for it. Fair enough, but why was that even a bloody stretch goal then? The new goal they just passed is the opportunity to buy original artwork for $500, limited to 10 backers.

I know there's only so much you can do with a book, but these stretch goals have nothing to do with the actual funding, you have to buy them anyway, they might as well have just put them up as tiers to begin with.

HAha, what? She deserves to be paid for it? You reached the loving stretch goal, that's the payment!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

How is that not the payment? That's what stretch goals are, "If you give us this much money we will be able to afford adding this feature." So they are able to afford to pay this fool to make a ZZT game because they met the goal, right?!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That's why I asked if I was right, my snotty friend.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, if you can watch that Nelly Cootalot video without thinking, "This is the sort of guy I want to help make videogames," then you are just WEIRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was really surprised that they presented themselves as a collectathon, and that people were excited by that. I always thought that the collecting loads of random bullshit was the worst part of those games. Like, Psychonauts is great, except for the loving figments you have to collect a million of.