Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Friend Commuter posted:

You say that like adults in their mid-20s and up who like games aren't the prime obsessive manchild demographic. This is the internet, if people don't get what they were expecting there will be a shitstorm.

To be completely honest, I think I gave like $100 and I don't even have any expectations of quality, as much as I just want to see what happens and how it turns out. The more I go back and play old adventure games, the more I realize that I may not have liked them as much as I remember, apart from the odd few.

Recently watching the Retsupre of King's Quest 6 made me kind of throw out all that old nostalgia for that terrible game, and the whole point and click era of that series. I have almost no idea how I enjoyed them as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

You're really just throwing money in some direction to feed an idea, and in my case it's an idea that I've wanted to reconnect with for many years. That's pretty much the hope that drives this whole thing. At the end of all this, we'll end up with some games. Some alright, some awesome, some disappointing, but we'll have contributed to the advancement of our hobby into a new era.

With the thousands I probably spend every year on games, I'm alright with some of that money disappearing into a black hole and contributing to the betterment of PC gaming as an idea. If it doesn't, then we can't say we didn't give it a shot.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

On top of all this, if these projects succeed financially after funding, it may show publishers that genres thought dead still have a place in the modern market.

I'm pretty sure that's something we'd all like to see happen. So for better or worse, or even if every single one of these games totally blow, publishers will try to make more of these kinds of games again to gain market share. More games like the ones we like gives us a better chance of getting awesome games.

It's really a win for us all the way around.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Tufty posted:

ACTUALLY, Kickstarter isn't charity or gambling, it's really a lot like time. Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff... Kickstarter works the same way.

God drat it! You've cracked it! Now imagine for a moment though, if you take the fourth ball and replace the first ball. But there's another fourth ball...

The way I see it, it's like someone said earlier: give money to the companies you feel good about handling your donation to their cause. Hopefully it works out and you get out of it what you want. That can mean different things to different people though.

For some, they get a cool game, for others, the hope of a magical gaming garden sewn with the seeds of people who like good games.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 6, 2012

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

I watch the Yogscast videos from time to time when they check out something unusual, like this crazy Korean MMO they have been playing lately. I've got no idea what this game they are trying to make even is, though.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

A lot of the popular projects right now with thousands in funding are from unknown people. I'm not sure I get your point.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Maybe we shouldn't have The Dead Linger listed as recommended in the OP then?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Did you know that Your World has a website? Because I didn't!

http://www.yourworldinc.com/

I just want to see if he blows all his lottery winnings chasing this dream down by himself. I have to know what happens.

It's like if you gave hundreds of gold bars to a 5 year old and he had no idea what to do with them or how to turn them into money.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

That picture is a crime against digital art. It deserves some kind of Photoshop Friday treatment.

I know what I'm going to gently caress around with in Photoshop tomorrow at work.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Isn't there a game exactly like that on Kickstarter right now?

Holy poo poo this is actually really disturbing: http://poo poo-starter.tumblr.com/post/20992117178/the-brohoof-podcast

It's like reading a classic weekend web entry. Disturbing and hilarious.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

gently caress that, THIS is the best the best kickstarter brought to light by that tumblr: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1279009184/seekers-of-the-paranormal

That pitch video is amazing.

I love how all the dialogue was ADR because they weren't smart enough to buy a $25 shotgun mic for the camera.

And they're investigating fake ghosts for an internet TV show. Who would ever pay for them to do that? Besides the fact that it's loving stupid, I'm sure YouTube has about 500 amateur ghost hunters already.

What a great tumblr though, I'll deffo be following it for more hilarious SEEEEKERS OFFFF THE PAAAAAARAAAANORMAAAALLL quality efforts.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

You know, I kind of want to start a 'game' where people bet on what terrible Kickstarters aren't going to make it, by backing them. $100+ bucks aught to make it exciting. It's like playing chicken with awful internet products.

Think I can Kickstart that?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

I would just like to commend you all on how helpful and valuable this thread is for someone trying to find out more about KickStarter.

This just about sums it all up in one page.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Quarex posted:

This post is great, because whether it is serious or sarcastic, it is actually serious. Because either you learned a lot about Kickstarter inbetween all the debates about things on Kickstarter, or you are making a comment about how Kickstarter is mostly arguing about the merits of various Kickstarters, which is basically true at this point.

:thejoke:

This thread and the Awful Kickstarters thread certainly have begun creeping closer together in content, which is funny.

I did in fact think ahead and mean it in both ways. :thejoke:

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Wow, Cloudberry Kingdom is fun as hell. I hadn't actually played it until today but drat, that game is going to be a real hit when it comes out. Or at least I hope it does really well, because the random level design tech going on in that game is mind boggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOV9R1DOuE

I made this video to show it off for the guys who missed it, or didn't want to give ~:10bux: to the - extremely sketch looking - demo the dev showed in their video. Someone needs to run a boot camp for Kickstarter folks on how to make sales pitch videos, because they would have done crazy numbers if this game was accurately represented.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Electric Pope posted:

Early on the levels seemed very clearly randomly generated, and while not terrible not very good either, but as it went on and got more difficult, it started to generate very densely packed levels that, were they designed by a human, would have required a great amount of care to make them that difficult and tight but still so obviously doable.
It's not exactly Super Meat Boy, but I'm intrigued.

The thing that makes it cool is that if it can get even get close the the level of Super Meat Boy levels without being deliberately designed by a person, that's totally nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

The first update in a year and a half for failed Kickstarter In Profundis (earned about 5k) back in July. Thought I would share.

quote:

Hello all. I am sorry I haven't posted many updates here lately. For a long while I was caught up with trying to keep myself alive and fed, and it is dishearting to everyone, not least of which myself, to make a full update, sent out via email to all the backers, that basically states "not much to say." More on that in a bit.

I'm still having problems supporting myself, and that is a great drain on my time, but at least I've been able to put in a lot more work lately. I'm not asking for pity, I'm just stating what the unfortunate reality of the situation is. Also, the problems with the original engine, another source of the lack of development that held the project back for so long, necessitated a rewrite. That's coming along much better, the code is much cleaner, the new version uses OpenGL/pyglet for hardware graphics acceleration, and should also be a lot more amenable to acceleration through Cython or pypy than the previous version, which used the unmaintained, x86-only, and rapidly aging, Psyco. But the new engine seems to be fast enough that, should those things fall through, it shouldn't be a problem.

Some of you might have noticed in previous versions that the graphics were leaning towards a vectorized depiction of the world, heading away from raster tiles. The new engine takes that further; everything is rendered using polygons. Not 3D polygons, but 2D shapes. It is an unusual look, but I think it suits the sort of ant-farm nature of the simulation well. I will try to have a video up soon, although it still looks blocky, even more so now, since the new simulation uses "blocks" of fluid instead of tiles with up to 8 levels of fluid in them.

The big thing about the delay is, I've had a LOT of time to think about the nature of the game, the purpose of the simulation, what the interest IS in a cave exploration game, and particularly about the presence of other actors in the cave and their motivations.

I have had moments in the past couple of years where I've had to think long and hard about whether this goofball idea I've had will actually be any fun to play.
It is the style of these kinds of blogs to be upbeat and happy, only touch upon the highlights, etc. That is not my style. I try to be truthful about everything I say, and if I'm having trouble, I tend to either say that outright or, on the "if you can't say anything nice" principle, not speak at all. I think the improved design, with more complex kinds of simulated entities and other actors, will have a better chance of meeting that minimum fun objective.

When I have spoken, so as not to antagonize anyone through direct email, it's been through the development blog, which I remind everyone is at http://coindoorinterlock.blogspot.com/. Now that the project has some forward velocity again I'll post here more often, but that's still the place where I'll be speaking most often.

I must ask this... if you are angry or upset, please try to moderate your responses. I have difficulty enough keeping up energy behind the project as it is with so many distractions. I am doing the best I can. I apologize again to everyone. I will write again soon.

Nothing since. I sometimes leave a message in the comments to see if anything will happen.

Nothing happens.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/445452543/in-profundis-random-cave-exploration-sim-game/comments

The update before that was in February 2012.

quote:

I made a mistake in the previous update. The password is "derpyhooves".

:fuckoff:

dvorak fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 8, 2013