Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

particle409 posted:

I'm not sure if this interests people, but I'm backing a smaller game that is supposedly influenced by Puzzle Quest. The developer released a raw demo, which was fairly reassuring in terms of gameplay. You can get it on their kickstarter page.

They're almost a third of the way there, at $3,584 out of $15,000, with about 3 weeks to go.

Match and Magic
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1217383590/match-and-magic?ref=live

FYI on this, the guy over at Dubious Quality has posted about this game a couple of times and has really good things to say: http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2011/08/match-magic.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Drifter posted:

One of you guys should put together a new thread for it. I'd post in it to help keep it visible for a few days. It's nicher than most things I've seen, and will definitely be overlooked in this thread alone. I checked it out and thought it looked pretty cool.

I found a super short youtube review of the game. There's also a free e-book novelization of the game written a few years later by the guy.
I'm definitely mildly interested. I wish I knew more about the guy or the game. It seems like the kickstarter would play as something similar to the Journeyman Project; would that be accurate?

Man. The youtube review of the original game you posted makes it sound awesome.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So I thought for sure Match and Magic,http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1217383590/match-and-magic, wasn't going to make it, due to only being at 35% or so with a couple days to go, but looks like the dude's mom came through... ;)

"Jeff LaFlam 1 day ago

Hi guys,

Sorry I've been a bit quiet lately we had a death in the family so I've been dealing with that. I want to assure you that I did not pitch in the big chunk of money but I found out who did. My mom did. She surprised me and I can't thank her enough (love you mom!). Thank you all for your kind backings and words.
"

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My problem with the old school RPG pitch is I have no idea what kind of game they are making. Doublefine adventure was a similarly vague pitch but you still knew what you would be getting due to the pedigree. These folks are all over the map. Brenda is the only one who has even been involved with games I care about. If this was the spiritual successor to wizardry kickstarter I would probably be down.

I'm not sold.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Shalinor posted:

I don't think I'd kickstart a true MUD, but if someone were to do a MUD in the style of Grimrock? Man... that, that I might have to play.

(for reference: this is Legend of Grimrock - you know, that 3D tile-based dungeon crawler thing)

Have I been living under a rock? How did I not know about this game? It looks fantastic!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Axegrinder posted:

I know some people have mentioned being hesitant to back Star Citizen/Squadron 42 on Chris Roberts' site. Good news; the game is now on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=recently_launched

So he has a 2 million dollar one running on his site and a 500k one running on kickstarter simultaneously? That seems...weird.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Illessa posted:

Seems to be a lot of stuff in the Interesting-But-Doomed category at the moment

MaK - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1125462381/mak - Mario Galaxy meets Little Big Planet?

Wow, this looks so pretty. The breakdancing robot video totally sold me. It is a shame it looks like it probably won't make it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Nyphur posted:

A few people have asked about Diplomacy and the peaceful play style, and it's definitely going to be a big part of the game. I can lay down our current plans for you, but as always they're subject to change based on feedback from supporters:
[Good Words...]

This sounds really cool. Backed. Hope you make it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SupSuper posted:

I don't mind the concepts, what puts me off is that they seem to require advanced setup for just quirky silly fun games. If you look at the Release Plans section, different games need different hardware, special setup, controllers, bluetooth, PlayStation Move, limited availability, etc. I imagine I'm not the only one that would rather just get something that you can just pick up and play (which is where these games shined, in expos and cons where it's all already setup for you).

Yeah, this. I think I would really enjoy playing Joust for example, but I don't have a PS3, don't have any moves, etc. The amount of extra money/setup/etc makes the bar too high for something I doubt I'd get to play that often anyway.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

the black husserl posted:

This makes me really unsure of Double Fine's abilities. 3 million dollars is more than enough for a point and click adventure. What on earth are they spending the money on? Is it going to have 400 backgrounds? 1000 objects?

No one would have been disappointed with a four hour game. It was supposed to be small, so I dont think "epic length" is going to be the excuse.

First, the original game was going to be a tiny little thing, because of the expanded money they also expanded the scope to something closer to their typical adventure games from way back. They reached a point in the project where they needed to rein the vision back in a little bit. That is all. Most projects experience something like this, you just don't see it. We have an amazing amount of transparency with this particular project. It is awesome.

Second, let's talk about the 3 million. Final tally after fees and failed transactions that they were left with: $3,099,660. How much of that is going to rewards? $473,231. That leaves $2,626,429. How much of that pie is 2 player productions getting to make their documentary? $393,964. That leaves them with $2,232,465. So 2.2 mil is their actual budget for the game. I think there are plenty of places in this very forum where it is discussed how much needs to be allocated for each developer for each year of a product so not going to dive into that discussion.

What does that translate into? Originally 3 people working on the game for like 6 months turned into 11 people working on the game for like 12 months. I'm sure that doesn't include things like QA, Voice work, etc which also need to be budgeted for.

----

None of this means the game will come out and be awesome, I just wanted to counter some of the weird negativity and misinformation. I have every confidence in Double Fine, but who knows. It wouldn't be the first time I've been disappointed by people who normally rock if they fail to make something great.

*edit to add some additional comparison info*
"Games like Grim Fandango cost a hefty $3 million back in 1998. Full Throttle cost just over $2 million to produce, and Psychonauts had a whopping $12 million dollar budget back in 2005" http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Tim-Schafer-Compares-Past-Video-Game-Budgets-Current-Budgets-39474.html

So this game has a budget closest to what Full Throttle had back in 1995. Obviously, 2 mil in 1995 money is not the same as 2 mil in 2013 money, but on the flip side, productivity gains from software tools have increased since then so maybe it will balance out. Full Throttle was considered pretty short when it came out though, I believe.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 11, 2013

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Al! posted:

I mean we saw the worst way to do it last year with 38 Studios, the company closes down and you find out they never paid your moving expenses, you have an extra mortgage, and your health insurance was cut off yesterday but your wife is due next week. GPG is saintly by comparison.

Yeah, this is a far better way to go. Man that sucks.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Axegrinder posted:

This looks interesting:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1320581435/moonbot-studios-next-game-the-golem

History and myth collide. I doubt they'll reach their target, though.

I don't know what kind of game this will be for sure, but still hope this succeeds. I love the work they've done in the past.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Shalinor posted:

Delver's Drop looks kind of neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDnpIdX6i1U

... and it's also cross-posted in the Greenlight thread, because it's there too.

I kinda dig the looks. A bit worried about the floaty-looking movement physics, but it makes for some unique-looking combats and puzzles.

I dig this. I understand the lighting criticisms, but I think it looks pretty.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Antitonic posted:

Got this in my Twitter feed: There Came An Echo, which is billed as a voice-controlled RTS. They've got a couple familiar names attached, chief among them being Wil Wheaton. Not sure how the voice gimmick will go, but sounds like an interesting concept, at least.

I'm really intrigued.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

miguelito posted:

Wait, I don't understand. With this being KS and thus fixed funding, how are they able to set any partial goals below their actual budget? They're not seeing a cent if it doesn't get funded, are they?

Uh. It seems pretty clear to me. Those are easter eggs, of a sort. Releasing alternate intro videos/gag reel/etc as they hit certain dollar figures.

You guys are making a way bigger deal of that then it needs to be. Although maybe the problem is on their end in terms of presentation if people can misunderstand what they are doing that badly.

Here is their description:

quote:

What the heck's a "microgoal"?

Normally, no rewards are made available prior to the successful completion of a Kickstarter campaign. However, in this case, we shot so much extra footage during the production of our video that we thought it'd be fun to release it as we hit certain milestones along the way.

The first two microgoals are alternate scenes with Mr. Wheaton, shot because he had too much hilarity for one scene to hold. These scenes aren't color corrected and audio mastered like the main video is, but we think they're still pretty awesome.

The final microgoal is a blooper reel and behind-the-scenes video, where you'll get to see the crew mess around and Jason flub his lines, over and over and over again. We think you'll enjoy the look at the production process!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

nessin posted:

I can't speak for miguelito but I can read just as well as you can quote. The point is how ridiculous they are, not what they are.

Fair enough.

quote:

...they have GOALS for less than they're asking for

I mistook the above for you not understanding that those micro goals aren't costing them anything and were just little carrots along the way to their goal.

I guess I just don't get the vitriol. We may have to just agree to disagree on this one.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Der Shovel posted:

"New studio blows 9 months on what was supposed to be a little side project" is more accurate. This isn't scheduling, this is completely derailing your project and losing focus on what you were doing. It's also a bit more serious than a little snafu when they're pretty much flat out saying they're broke and using whatever money they can get from Factions to stay afloat. If it took them 850k to get this thing made and stay in business this long, how the hell are they hoping to get the single player portion finished?

EDIT: I'm not saying we should crucify them or anything, but I am starting to get seriously worried that this project will never come out.

Can you quote me the sections where they are saying they are broke? I just read through the whole update and I'm just not seeing it. Is this because they said they haven't been taking salaries? If they are broke, I can definitely see where you are coming from.

I do agree about being mostly uninterested in Factions though. I'm looking forward to the single player game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The Adventures of Dash looks pretty neat:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fourzerotwo/the-adventures-of-dash-a-2d-platform-and-puzzle-ad?ref=live

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Macaluso posted:

$400,000? :raise:

Yeah dude, I dunno.

This is what they say the money is for: "To pay for artists, programmers, and designers to build the dream worlds and awake world puzzles over the course of 7-months. As well as the license required for Unity 3D Pro, and for the feature length documentary titled "Project: Robotoki" (detailed below)."

Which seems similar to the budget Double Fine was looking for, for a similar period of development/documentary.

But yeah, I'm wondering if they have any chance of hitting that given their serious lack of fame. Unless there are people who are super psyched about the composer or something.

It's a shame, because it looks cool to me, I'm hoping they can pull it off.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My hope is that these projects do well and start to bring in enough money to make it unnecessary for them to keep coming back to the well. We are still a fair amount away from delivery of some of the bigger projects though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

miguelito posted:

My, the kid has grown a lot in one year. :3:

I'm positively inclined, and will back depending on their updates. Their pitch was spot-on already.

Yeah, I'm surprised actually. This was going to be right up my alley regardless, but it sounds much cooler than I thought it would.

*edit* 408k now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kenshin posted:

That's gotta be a new record.

:stare: there are already 5 backers at the $10,000 level.

A couple of them are the obvious ones, Notch and Dengler(Dracogen).

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Torment Numenera question: Anyone know if they set a new record for fastest funded Kickstarter game, or fastest funded Kickstarter, period?

Fastest ever to 1 million.

https://twitter.com/kickstarter/statuses/309409958817050624

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Where is that from? If he really said that, just wow.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Shalinor posted:

That it does. I cracked a smile when they zoomed back and it dropped into good ol' classic hex display. I used to love Panzer General, and the rest of those old great SSI strategy games - this really does look like that, but modern.

That was what sold it to me. I loved the classic hex display on zoom out.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They also posted a special video to go with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUPfejQ7xE

The goal for them is not "give us money so we can make/finish making the game", but "give us money so we can expand our team to make the game bigger, better and deeper". It's actually quite a modest goal too, at $400,000.

This looks really good. I hope they make their goal so they can make it even better!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

theblackw0lf posted:

The Divinity kickstarter is at $172,000. Looks like it'll hit the halfway point by the end of the day.

Feeling pretty confident it will hit its goal. Even with the lack of PR.

I know there were some people interested in their editor. The first divinity update is them building a very quick and dirty encounter in the editor. Looks pretty nice. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/439547

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Only 8 hours left on the Torment kickstarter if you want in on it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

Looks like they will probably beat Project Eternity on kickstarter funds. Currently at 3.9 million.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do they have to? Are there any kickstarters that have just said "Nope, this is the scope of the game that we're offering, that's all we want to do"?

It happens. Small World 2 did this recently. I can't think of others off the top of my head but there have been at least a couple more that I've seen that either had no stretches at all, or stopped at some point.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

citizenlowell posted:

Shoddy production aside it's refreshing to watching something where everyone is so positive about each other. I'm not huge on many of the artists, but Katie Rice has a style that reminds of weird 90s cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life and I totally dig it.

Yeah. I have my complaints, but it is great to see a reality show that is so lacking in drama.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

katkillad2 posted:

They already buffed Grand King and higher with 50 packs of set 2. Pro was the first tier sold out... because it's probably the best value per dollar donated. Why should that tier get more benefits just because they are bringing the severely lacking tiers in line to be more attractive?

Look, I don't agree with this, but surely you can see the problem? They would PROBABLY be whining anyway, but to play devil's advocate here, they didn't just decide to buff those tiers in a vacuum. They are buffing those tiers specifically as a stretch goal. So it is a giant stretch goal, bigger than any by quite a bit, and it positively impacts every other 250 tier but theirs in a very big way.

I can definitely see where they are coming from even if I wouldn't be making that complaint myself.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Drifter posted:

It's probably to have physical bits that you and your friends can experience some form of tactility. No one wants to sit around staring at an iPad.

It's a shame that I literally have no interest in Harebrained Schemes' new project. I wish them well, though, certainly.

Yeah, it's weird. I feel like I should be a prime target for a game like this, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Drifter posted:

... an update about their (failed/terrible idea/super-niche) Golem Arcana project.

I don't know that I'd call it failed either. It is going to be close, but I'm pretty sure they are going to make it based on how fast its been moving up since it hit 48 hours. I guess we'll see.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm not going to argue that a bunch of white people making a reggae adventure game is going to be anything other than a train wreck (although I think the art they have so far looks pretty nice) and I agree that having the two main designers be people who are currently loving up their own Kickstarter does not inspire confidence either, but $10,000 definitely buys more than two plane tickets to Israel and it's not really clear how much the "power team actually making the game" is going to be doing, since the dude behind the pitch has made a couple of games himself.

I'm not backing this, and I'm not arguing that anyone should, but I want to point out that the Coles designed part II of this trilogy. Part I is what is being kickstarted.

I don't know that that makes it any better, but fyi. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

That is a great change. Super useful.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bieeardo posted:

His updates tend toward 'hi, i'm not dead, i have been making progress on X and batting these gameplay concepts around'. Not exactly hype-worthy, but not really worthy of making backer-only either.

In other newslike things, the Detective Grimoire devs are spending the night individually e-mailing download details for three thousand copies of the game. After all this time, I can't even muster the enthusiasm for an emote.

:effort:

Yeah. I wonder if it will be any good?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hawkgirl posted:

Boo, Detective Grimoire is cute, but prone to crashing. Got two crashes for doing nothing in particular in about 15 minutes playing on my iPhone. The game seems to save pretty often, but it's still annoying to deal with.

Yeah, won't run successfully on my android devices so far. I'm glad they finally got it out, but looks like it still isn't ready for prime time.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

People are probably most down on it due to the lack of a massive as campaign maintaining hype levels. The massive success of the kickstarter and amazing art style made us more aware of it than we would be of most indie games at a much earlier stage. Then the questionable f2p game and long period with no ads telling us what to think led to natural buyer's remorse and pessimism.

Think of it like Blair Witch Project if they'd been able to only afford the initial attention grabbing ads and then waited a year to release, people's initial excitement would slowly have morphed into questions like "well how scary can a super low budget movie filmed on shaky cam in a forest be?"

When people can play the game I think excitement levels and word of mouth hype will increase again greatly, we're just seeing what the lack of an ad campaign on a high profile title does to perceptions.

This is actually a fascinating opinion of what is happening.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Drifter posted:

I can't tell if you think it's a valid opinion or not.

It is something I hadn't even considered. I don't know if it is right or not, but it is absolutely a valid opinion.

For me personally, factions is what made me slightly down on it. But considering my reasons for wanting the game revolved more around the look of it, and the fact that it was, as Dr. Maniac put it, an "Oregon trail-ish caravan with a reactive story," I'm actually coming back around to being pretty excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Just in case you haven't seen the banner on kickstarter yet, they were hacked. Change your passwords.

*edit* ^^^ :argh: