Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Naar posted:

Just got an email about the start of Darkwood's crowdfunding campaign, which I've been looking forward to for a while. Any game that namechecks Teleglitch can't go too far wrong. It's a shame there's no playable demo, though - the footage in the videos is great but it's always hard to get a sense of how things play.

This game looks pretty amazing. I can see the strong influence from Project Zomboid which unfortunately didn't hold my interest. I can only play so much of a non-linear crafting game that has no objectives other than "survive" (eg; Minecraft, Terraria, Don't Starve, Project Zomboid) before getting bored. I'm hoping that the backstory of the game is enough to give me a reason to keep exploring and see what is over the next ridge without it being just some randomly generated world. Here's hoping they reach their goal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

SaltyJesus posted:

Another project I want to see happen is Among the Sleep. Kicktraq shows it's trending towards the goal, but only just. This means one significant slump or surge in backing and it could go either way.

I'm really interested in Among the Sleep. They're including Oculus Rift support too and from the demo video of it in action, it looks pretty engrossing.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I just noticed that Among the Sleep have added stretch goals.

• $200,030 - Ice cream! - Buys an ice cream for EACH person on the team
  • $225,000 - Oculus Rift! - A proper implementation!
  • $230,000 - Commentary Track! - With thoughts and anecdotes from the development
  • Locked - Locked

I was pretty excited about Oculus Rift support for the game and am sort of disappointed that "proper" implementation is now a stretch goal. Does anyone with some knowledge of the Oculus know what this might mean? I watched their Oculus Update Video when it came out, but can't remember them mentioning anything about a stretch goal and can't rewatch the video at work.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I just stumbled across a KickStarter for Deus Ex Machina 2. It was definitely not what I was expecting and has nothing to do with the Eidos Deus Ex franchise. It has voice acting by Christopher Lee and looks like an old hippie's LSD trip. Apparently it is the sequel/reimaging of a game from the 80s that has a modicum of success. I'm really just not sure what to think after watching naked people in the fetal position flying through coloured psychedelic hallways and then hovering through the air in a hanging-on-a-cross position collecting floating needles.

Edit: Despite the KickStarter saying the original was well received, apparently they only distributed 5000 copies according to Wikipedia.

KuroKisei fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 25, 2013

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Not gonna lie, tempted to kick that start.

It bugged me how he kept pronouncing machina, and then I was even more surprised when Christopher Lee pronounced it correctly.

Given that he is fluent in English, Italian, French, Spanish and German, "moderately proficient" in Swedish, Russian and Greek, and "conversational" in Mandarin Chinese; I'm totally unsurprised he knows how to produce "machina". He's actually pretty badass for a 90 year old and just released a heavy metal album a few days ago which is available on Amazon.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Sorry, I guess the way I phrased that was weird. I wasn't surprised that Lee knew the correct pronunciation, I was surprised that he was pronouncing the name of the project, in game, differently than the way the project leader pronounced it. The lack of brand unity, for lack of a better term, was the surprise.

Ah, understood. I think I want to back it, but I'm still not sure how it makes me feel. :|

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Mug posted:

That animation at the start with the rat made me go "ooohhh that was stylish", then the gameplay footage made me say "This is HORRIBLE". What the gently caress is this? The bit with the bent-forward nude person floating forwards collecting floating syringes? I can't even fathom how this plays out. Are they saying the game is already finished?

One of the stretch goals is Oculus Rift support... how the hell would that work if you're in the fetal position?

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Just found another gem called Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet! (Retro Pirate Adventure). Looks like a pretty average point and click adventure game, but I love his video. He's how I picture the average goon except that he has a GIRLFRIEND.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Crash74 posted:

Are there anymore of these floating around anywhere? Got a good chuckle when I reloaded my page.

I stole it from the OUYA thread from a few pages ago. It was originally from an older SA thread about Pokémon fusions that is referenced in the other thread.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I've been trying really hard NOT to back TinyKeep because I'm really not all that big a fan of dungeon crawlers. But the guy sounds so nice and he's not really asking for a lot of money for what he's offering. I'm in at Ł40 now...

My wife enjoying playing Torchlight 2, so here's hoping we can have some fun playing this together as well.

Edit: I got my thank you message. :3

KuroKisei fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 29, 2013

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I responded to Phi's message he sent me after I backed TinyKeep and told him that SA was behind his project and were hopeful that it went well. Apparently he has been lurking this thread!

Phi Dinh posted:

I noticed on the SomethingAwful forums! I decided to stay out of that conversation though, looks like you guys were handling it fine in there! I've actually had loads of backers from that site - so thanks very much for your support!

Sorry for outing you Phi, but you deserve some more love. :3:

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
With the success of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter the and Virtuix's Omni (the omnidirectional treadmill) who are starting a Kickstarter in a few days; it looks there is another new gadget trying to capitalise on the immersion train. :toot:

ARAIG (As Real As It Gets)

It looks like a vest with a heap of vibrating sensors and muscle stimulators. I'm pretty sure that this isn't a new concept (except for the multiple sensors that would need to be specifically accounted for by the game developer), but how well do these things actually work?? Sure the thing sits great on the guy in the demo, but how well would fit the average goon? Also, who the gently caress sticks a big cylindrical subwoofer on the back like that?

Edit: Looks like my two questions are actually answered in the FAQ.

quote:

What sizes does ARAIG come in and are their variations for males and females?
As for sizes we plan on having S-M-L-XL for males and females. The final range that each size covers is dependent on what sizes our community is. With that said there will still be particular sizes that we will not be able to accommodate but we will do our best to ensure everyone who is part of our Kickstarter campaign can get an ARAIG that works for them.

Why isn't the subwoofer integrated into the back more seamlessly? It doesn't look like I'll be able to lean back in my chair with it protruding like that?
So the ARAIG you see in the video is ARAIG Mark 2 and the placement of the subwoofer will change in final implementation. We will have it integrated into the suit so you can actually sit back. We just liked the way that particular subwoofer sounded so we were using it more for the sound quality then the actual design.

KuroKisei fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 2, 2013

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Crash74 posted:

How where they aiming on the omni? It actually looks kind of cool and it would keep people from being fat asses. But how would it work when your rotating around like a mad man wouldn't you eventually strangle yourself with all the cords coming off the Oculus?

The consumer version of the Rift is rumoured to be wireless.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Going back to the ARAIG, I asked them if they had any developers on board yet and this was the response I got.

KuroKisei posted:

Have any developers expressed an interest in this product or begun implementing support for it? Are there any specific existing or future titles that have confirmed ARAIG support?

ARAIG posted:

Hi KuroKisei,

We have always believed that it should be the community driving the industry rather than the industry driving the community. With this in mind we went on Kickstarter to let the community show the developers that this is the next level of gaming.

ARAIG will work on a fundamental level with all games on any console platform as they already provide haptic feedback and sound. This not only gives the community a base use for ARAIG but gives developers the initial framework to begin building upon to differentiate themselves.

Overall we want the community to prove that this is what they want and in turn that will show developers that there is a need. By showing them there is a need there will be less risk and a reason to develop for ARAIG. It also allows indie developers to have a new differentiating factor to help them compete with AAA studios and we do know of several indie developers who look forward to using ARAIG.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have anymore please let us know.

Sincerely,
The ARAIG Team

None of that was really comforting for my hopes for the product. Assuming indie developers will support an obscure feedback suit in order to compete with AAA titles and a business model that involves getting the customers to adopt the product and THEN have developers support it?? Yeah...

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Then all he needs is a game to support everything!

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Fantasyche: Mike - A Two-tier game dealing with Escapism looks like it could be interesting.

quote:

A unique RPG that attempts to deal with mature issues. Mike uses a escapist techniques to deal with his Depression.

Basically, you play as Mike and when you can't deal with reality, you become Super Mike! It could be genuinely interesting and deep, but it could also be very self-involved and angsty. I don't think I'll back it, but I'll look out for the reviews once the game is released.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Sethmaster posted:

By the video, a new contender for Bad Rats? Now, we had two games to gift our erstwhile and unsuspecting compatriots :dukedog:

By all that is Gaben, I hope this doesn't end up on Steam for that reason.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
There appears to be a new game that is getting a lot of attention called FRONTIERS. It got $20k towards its $50k goal in the first day.

quote:

FRONTIERS - Explore, Discover & Survive in a massive, relaxing open world that emulates the tone of classic first person RPGs.

quote:

I can still remember the first time I played Daggerfall. Yes, it was uglier than a monkey's armpit and controlled worse than a bumper car on a frozen lake.

But it also created the feeling of a world that lived on even after I'd stopped playing, and that feeling still sticks with me all these years later. A world where you could spend hours searching every pixelated nook and cranny. A world of potential. A world of EXPLORATION...

...and then a Dragonling would chomp my face because I hadn't spent ten hours grinding in the easy regions. Arg! So frustrating!

Other games have touched on that elusive feeling, especially Elder Scrolls and early Fallout games, but as fun as they are and as much as I love hardcore RPG mechanics, I've always dreamt of a game that emphasized exploration above all else.

FRONTIERS is that game

In 2011 I finally decided if no one else was going to make it, I'd give it a try. For a full feature list check out the 'Game Features' section below. The trailer you see is the result of hundreds of hours of work and many thousands of dollars out of pocket.

I'm close to finishing this thing. Another six months ought to do it. But it needs a push - and that's where you guys come in.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
It looks like the Kickstarter for "competition" to the Omni has launched: the WizDish. If you check out this video of the thing in use, it looks TERRIBLE. They also criticise the way the Omni works at about 3:20. I also like how they say it "encourages good posture" instead of saying "if you're not careful, you will end tits up".

Edit: Apart from costing Ł150, it also appears to be completely reliant on the Kinect to detect what you're doing. It really is just a plastic dish with some low friction shoes.

KuroKisei fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 18, 2013

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Colon Semicolon posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog they need moh' monies to make a cool game, please help them! only 30 hours left!

Kicktraq is projecting $854,545 to $949,469 at the time of posting. The huge variance really is because of the surge of backers in the last 24 hours. If it stays that way now that people see it actually has a chance of being funded; it should be fine.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
What is the general feeling in here on the omni-directional treadmill fad? Do you think it will be a perfect complement to the Oculus Rift or they're all just riding the VR bandwagon?

There are two up on Kickstarter at the moment. The Omni is exceedingly more popular with 2000 backers in the first week. The second is the WizDish which barely got 30 in the same time frame (which is sad considering it apparently is 10 years in the making and they went to the effort of getting a patent).

The Stereoscopic 3D Gaming thread also linked to some new device which may not even be coming to retail called the Virtualizer.

I backed the Omni, but in all honesty I have no idea if I'm that keen on the idea of running while gaming, or if I'm just throwing money at VR gadgets because I can't wait for my Oculist Rift to arrive.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I just looked in on FRONTIERS for the first time since I pledged when it was released. They're less than $5k off their Oculus Rift and controller support stretch goal with 17 days to go. The projection on Kicktraq puts them between $127k and $204k. It would be great if they could crack $125k since that is the stretch goal for multiplayer. If you haven't checked it out already, it's definitely worth a quick look.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
My brother-in-law has a game up on Kickstarter called Toby's Island.

Kotaku did a writeup on it called "A Very Lonely Cross Between Pokémon and Harvest Moon", describing is 'a PC RPG where you try to survive by farming, crafting, raising monsters and building a settlement all by yourself on a dangerous, untamed island.'

At this stage, it looks like they might fall in short of their CAD$20,000 goal, but I'd appreciate it if some people had a look at it even if it was just to give some feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Sethmaster posted:

Here's my thought about it, no need to take these personally.

Firstly for the good thing, the trailer start up nice which is good.
The trailer music is also pretty good.
I think the pitch video is well done.

Now, the criticism,
The combat feel bare bones with no juice at all.
While there is a tech demo video, there is no demo to people to play with.
Most importantly,
the game art style feel too "deviantart-like" for some people which may turn people off.

Nothing taken personally at all! I'll pass on your feedback to him as I'm sure he'll be happy to get some constructive criticism from an honest third party. :)