Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Saoshyant posted:

Christian Allen's Hardcore Tactical Shooter, probably the first of the big name kickstarters that won't reach its goal.

Which is too bad. The kind of game they're talking about would be awesome.

It probably didn't help when they launched or how the 200k isn't actually to make the game (how could it? It's only 200k) but to show that there's interest in the game and so they can hire people. There doesn't seem to be a guarantee at all. Not that there ever is, but at least you know Doublefine is good for it.

That said, I still funded it because I want a game like this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Thats probably part of the problem. They never said the game would be made with that money. It's their way of showing that there is fan interest to publishers. More than any of the big kick starters it seemed like it was the least of a sure thing.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

So I didn't see this mentioned, but while checking all the links, Hardcore Tactical Shooter has a bunch of stuff added about it instead of just being a "are people interested in this genre" into a "are people interested in this game? here are actual things about this game". It's name is also Takedown as a working title.

With 5 days left, I doubt they'll raise $120,000, but still, I feel like this is kind of...eh to do in the middle of your campaign. Should of just stuck it out, failed, and then maybe started a new kickstarter with the game stuff on it with a new deadline and a lower amount of money requested.

Link to the page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

Someone must have just dumped a lot of money on it because it's up to $97k now. That's a lot for a game I was sure wasn't going to hit 50.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, Fargo's self-aggrandizing on twitter is a little off-putting. It doesn't reflect very well on him. I mean, Christ who would seriously requote this about themselves:

To make matters worse, it's a quote from RPGCodex. What a cesspool of a site.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Rime posted:

So if I understood that developer blog properly, Yogventures is a Unity game with a bunch of 3rd party plugins, the rest being coded by an animation rigger who started learning XNA a year ago. With his friends donating art assets in their spare time. And the Yogs crew providing "Creative Direction". This got 70% funded in two days?

Where's the pot for first big-name project to take the kickstarter money utterly fail to deliver? This isn't going to sink their brand, it's going to implode it like a singularity. :toot:

I think it'll be an indie getting in on the hype, something like the Yog thing. The only reason I say that is I can see a "named" developer with a project that just needed more time or something having an easier time seeking outside, non-kickstarter funding if they run out of money compared to a random indie game by someone no one ever heard of. Most of the developers with actual know how seem to have an scope (with the exception of the hardcore tactical shooterTAKEDOWN guy(s)).

I could see this Yogsventure thing being it. My prediction is that it's an utter failure but they spin off the assets into a mod for Minecraft and then spin that into some kind of kick starter success.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 10, 2012

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Those "in game" shots look suspicious, too. Not only are they artifacted to hell but the mountain, at least, looks like a real shot someone messed with.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The Carmageddon dudes should really have put limits on some of the reward tiers. I'd hate to see them blow a ton of money just printing up t-shirts and card games.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Is this a fake site or somehow affiliated with Kickstarter? It's literally the EXACT same layout, same tab placement, etc but HEY GUYS GAMES!!! themed.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, remember the Tactilol Shooter later renamed "Takedown"? The one that Kickstarted for money to pitch for a publisher? That one, they just got signed by 505 Games.

I guess we should expect more projects to try a similar approach in the future? Or maybe this one turning out terrible will be enough to prevent this sort of thing from becoming a fad in the first place. I sincerely have no idea, but these certainly are interesting times.

Huh. I guess those guys knew what they were doing after all.

At least I'd hope that's the case. Despite backing it, I sorta wrote it off after most of their updates related to forum stuff. I'm glad I was apparently wrong.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Frontiers looks amazing. I accidentally stumbled on it in the comments of another kickstarter yesterday afternoon. It's basically everything I wanted in a game.

Baby Sathanas posted:

FTL was pretty big.

Wasn't FTL already mostly done before that, though? I can't imagine them getting it out in 6 months otherwise.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know anything about BitCoins beyond being a stupid fake currency but upon receiving them can you immediately - cash out I guess? - so you don't have to deal with them any longer than you have to?

Yes, you can. I'd hope it's what they're doing considering how much the prices flucuate.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Harlock posted:

I wonder how much he had to pay on the license

The Oz books are in the public domain.

So is Alice in Wonderland, for that matter.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Hey guys Shadow of the Eternals is back on kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0

Asking for $500k less and no longer episodic. So now they're expecting to make a full game on 750k, I guess?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

It's weird that in 2013 people still think they can make MMOs by themselves. You'd think they'd have learned in the past 13 years that MMOs are expensive as poo poo and require extensive coding far beyond the average game.

It's like the yearly "We're the Everquest/WoW killer!" releases that failed despite being given wheelbarrows of money never happened in their world.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 4, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

CaptCommy posted:

As someone who got a degree in game design (and then switched to traditional software development), you have no idea how many kids show up freshman year with their idea for an MMO they're totally gonna make that'll be the best, most open and dynamic MMO ever. And they really do think they can do it themselves. gently caress, one kid spent four years working on his MMO built entirely in Blender.

Please tell me that the instructor(s) for these courses beat into their heads what an awful idea it is.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Here's the press release for Project Phoenix. I bolded the only important part.

One of the main characters is an angel called Ruffles. :allears:

Maybe this speculated outside funding is a Frito Lay sponsorship and this will be 2013's Cool Spot.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Haha. They already have renders of game boxes for PC, 360, and PS3.

The concept art and stuff seems okay, if a bit generic, but I can't imagine this ever being made for just $500k especially if that's also going toward software licenses.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

You're not the sole arbiter of what artistic trends are tired and unnecessary.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

That is the exact accent I want from the guy making Toejam and Earl.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Skychrono posted:

The Mighty No 9 kickstarter has some drama incoming.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MightyNo9/comments/38e6ki/signature_edition_vs_ks_backer/

Long story short, they announced a bunch of cool physical editions, including one with an ugly action figure. However, for the same price as that ($60), you could have backed the $60 KS tier and gotten... a lot less. No toy, no retro DLC, no steelbox, no signature, etc. Just a gold skin.

people really need to stop viewing backing a project as pre-ordering.

this goes for both creators and backers but mostly backers

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Witcher 1 is basically fan service for people who read the Witcher books. Witcher 2 is when it actually starts having a cool storyline and comes into its own as a video game series.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Veib posted:

Does the game have potatoes in it, that's always my favorite.

I keep seeing this mentioned. Is there something specific I'm missing other than people not realizing potatoes aren't european?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Veib posted:

(because it's not actually about historical accuracy, it never is).

The guy talked about how he hates political correctness because it hampers his ~*artistic vision*~. I wonder if that's more "restrictive" to artistic visions than a strict adherence to history.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Ghost of a Tale, an rpg where you play a cool mouse bard, funded in 2012 or 2013 on indiegogo has been in early access for a year or so and is finally coming out next week.

I backed it back when because it looked like the cutest thing. Their early access period was pretty good, as well, though I never finished all of it there since I didn't mind waiting.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/417290/

It looks pretty nice

Weirdly enough, "game where you play a tiny mouse/other creature" seems to be a minor gaming thing at the moment.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Darkhold posted:

I haven't messed with it in years and just from that announcement I could tell it's not close to being done. Question is Clockwork Empires not done or Spacebase not done?

Judging by what I'd played a couple alpha/betas ago I'd say it's not nearly as bad as either of those. Its more like if Rimworld had ended when it was originally meant to after alpha 12 or so. Solid foundation, good early game but once you hit the 'mid game' it gets dull and repetitive.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's dumb garbage like shenmue got 5 mil while the sequel to the funniest game of all time got so little in comparison.

Didnt they decide to add like a few thousand more art assets or something a few years into development?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

They'd have to license 4th edition and I can't imagine WOTC is interested in that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I can't imagine inXile was too expensive. Its the studio equivalent of "I see you like Obsidian, would you like to add inXile for only x$ more?"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Looks like Shenmue 3 showed a trailer at the PC Gamer show (presented by Epic Games)

https://youtu.be/aSAqTmwY2eY

Also announced Epic Store exclusivity. Lol.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

An asian dev is pretty much the only high profile case of a kickstarter taking epic money after the Phoenix Point debacle, so this isn't totally unexpected.

Also can I just say that a PC Games show hosted by Epic is like a gay pride parade hosted by Kevin Spacey?

A sexual predator hosting a pride event and a company you don't like hosting a show advertising video games are not at all alike. Sorry.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Surely the NLRB, headed by three Republicans, a Democrat, and an empty chair, will come to the rescue.

Kickstarter is based in New York, though, so it's possible there's a state apparatus that could pick up the slack. But even if a complaint does get filed it's possible the fine is less expensive than having to treat your workers fairly.

I've heard the punishment is just having to rehire the person they fired too. Not sure if it's true or not but it sounds like the exact sort of toothless bullshit we'd have.

"congratulations in winning this uphill legal battle that required you to prove you were fired for unionizing and cost you thousands in legal fees.

Here's your job back! By the way it's still headed by the same people who want you gone and also still bad. "

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I was under the impression that most embargoes were not like actual enforceable legal documents so much as they were just agreements between the two parties not to reveal anything or risk being blacklisted or whatever. There's probably some NDA and stuff but i don't think it's the norm.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I was listening to an old bombcast the other day and Jeff was talking about how Activision used to try to set embargoes for the Wednesday after game releases but GameSpot's (and presumably everyone else) response was pretty much "haha yeah okay"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Spiderweb put up a remake of Geneforge 1 on Kickstarter 5 days ago and I didn't see it mentioned here. Spiderweb's been making indie crpgs since the mid 90s and Geneforge is one of their more unique series.

I backed at the $30 tier since thats probably what I'd end up buying it for when it's out. I'm rather excited for it! I loved Geneforge back in the day.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I remember being semi active on their forums back when EV Nova was newer and there was a definite divide between EVO fans and EVN fans.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I've always been under the impression that consumer laws (what few we have) and such do kinda cover crowdfunding but to get anything like that enforced in the US you'd need to sue. That then means you need a lot of money and and a lot of time to waste.

There's really not any feasible recourse to getting hosed over for $60 or whatever, especially if the developer actually made a good faith effort.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Cavauro posted:

I wonder if his credit irregularities were related to some kind of artist union stuff or an easily circumvented employment limitation for working on other projects or something. makes for some funny views now

I would guess it's probably the opposite of that. The complete lack of any standard for crediting in video games someone might be credited with a nickname in one game and their full name the next whereas in a movie or something you know an actor is going to be credited by their SAG name or whatever