Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Illessa posted:

Having difficulty actually pledging since Indiegogo is being hella sluggish right now, but Ghost of a Tale is the most adorable of the action-rpgs :allears:

This looks so good. It makes me sad that it's on IndieGoGo instead of KS, since I think he'd do really well. I guess it's because he's in France?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Orzo posted:

I am honestly surprised that such a polished, already-functional game like this hasn't met such a modest goal. The graphics are really great. Is the genre something people just aren't interested in?

Edit: The music is pretty great too.

It really seems like they just haven't managed to tap their audience. The game is cheap and pretty, but it only has 200ish backers. I imagine the British pounds things makes people more wary too :(

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Yodzilla posted:

It does. Backing Humans Must Answer worked fine for me.

Yeah, me too. I did have to put my card in manually (instead of using Amazon payments), but it seems okay otherwise? Guess I'll find out since it seems they made their goal. Still really surprised at how close it came to failing, especially since the tiers are wacky low on price.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've got so many projects backed I can just kick back and watch the games roll in for 3 years.

I wish Kickstarter would let you mark projects as "reward received" or something, and let you filter them. I have so many and I often forget which ones have delivered. It's more of a problem with music projects, but even the games are getting hard to manage.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Wendell posted:

I don't really like the sound of the final Divinity stretch goal, just seems like needless complications and time wasters. Didn't think I'd be rooting against these guys getting money...

This is how I felt with Torment. Playing house is dumb.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Baronjutter posted:

I've gotten to a point where I've lost track of about 50% of the kick starters I funded, they could all just run off with the money and I'd never remember.

Yeah, I've asked Kickstarter about implementing a way to track your projects properly (at the very least, filtering projects that have delivered), but they don't really give a poo poo (if anything, they might prefer if people forget).

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Toffile posted:

There are people who donate to a ton of failing projects just to pump up their number.

There was some guy who managed to donate to like 50 crappy projects. Only 1 got funded. According to you he's a great guy who wasn't cynically trying to pump up the number to fool people.

If you're running a kickstarter, you're looking for money for something. I wouldn't assign any goal beyond that.

You can see if the projects failed. I guess if you just looked at the number, you wouldn't be able to tell an active member from a liar, but a quick glance at the list gives it away.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

nerox posted:

Hex is hitting stretch goals constantly, they are going to have to add some more cards to the bottom of their stretch goal graphic at this rate. :v:

This kickstarter (that I am admittedly very tempted by) and things like Words with Friends baffle me, How is it that in the most copyright/patent crazy country, people can just copy someone's game and market it?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Yeah, I know. It just seems really crazy, because you can copyright every godamn thing.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Ugh, we get to play house in Torment

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Massive Chalice seems like it has a way worse set of reward tiers than Broken Age. The game is more expensive, there are less tiers below $100, the 100 dollar reward is worse....

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Original_Z posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers

British guy wants to go and create a book detailing the history of Japanese gaming developers. He's written a lot of good stuff in the past and it seems like he's really taking this seriously with his contacts and insistence in hiring professional interpreters, so I think he'd do a good job. First time I've pledged to something in pounds.

Consider extending your new streak by backing Nelly Cootaloot

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The price points are super weird. Why is the PC version 5 times the price of the mobile version?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

DancingPenguin posted:

Looking for Group has a Kickstarter.
Looking for Group is a webcomic that used to be pretty decent until Ryan Sohmer realised that they had done all the classical RPG-puns and went over to making Richard, the warlock, carry the comic with humor. But the real downfall for me was when Richard had been the central point for a few hundred pages, after that the whole comic just hopped on the meme bandwagon.
These guys also work pretty slow, but as far as I understand, they have multiple projects running all the time and I suppose the drawings take some time.

I still think they are decent artists and comedians, and having really bad humor I still laugh at the jokes every now and then.
What do you think goons, should I back it?

My only real regret would probably be that the art looks nothing like in the comic (At least not the color scheme).
At the same time I love these cute little games like Magicka and that seems to be the direction the game is progressing towards.

Ugh, decisions. :confused:

If it helps, I think I remember reading that Sohmer is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

For the Square-Enix Collective thing, somebody has to get on an Urban Chaos: Riot Response successor. Best one-off FPS of the sixth generation - which nobody noticed because it came out in between all the new consoles ramping up.

Also, yeah, give Knite and the Ghost Lights some money. Shameful if it doesn't make it.

That game was really good until it got weirdly terrorism-y

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

AnonSpore posted:

I feel bad for knowing this, but it's a euphemism for masturbating.

You don't have to feel bad because it was always going to be an euphemism for masturbating. I knew it the moment I read it.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

atholbrose posted:

I just wanted to say -- the mail got lost at the tail end of my inbox and I hadn't gotten around to playing the little Longest Night game from the Night in the Woods Kickstarter yet. I just did, three months later.

I'm so glad I backed that one.

Oh hey, did not know that existed! Thanks!

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

CottonWolf posted:

I really don't know how you respond to the video for this. I can't even tell if I liked it or not. Either way, it's probably worth two minutes of your time to watch.

That video is great. I just wish the game underneath looked like anyone was trying at all.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Overflight posted:

Pann looks pretty neat.

It's weird to say this but there are too many early birds at way too steep a discount

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Pann The Game isn't gonna make it and it's a bummer. It looks pretty.

I hadn't noticed that Stomping Lands sent me a key! News post got buried in the mass of Memorial Day kickstarter posts. Time to get my dinosaur on.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 28, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Icarus Proudbottom was too beautiful for this world :(

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Sunless Sea is really weird and fun. I have no idea how to succeed in it, because everyone goes insane and I can't fix it.

Also salt got mad and killed my girl

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the secret to minimizing terror is to stay within lighted corridors as much as possible. Think of the buoys and lighted zones and land areas as the bases and your job is to get from base to base with as little time as possible in the lightless dark. You can reduce your terror by carousing on the docks in London.

Also for right now avoid most of the enemies they're still balancing things and the opponents are all really, really hard.

The trouble is making the money to party at the docks enough times. I tried to use the sisters as a means to bring terror down for a while. Guess I'll try to be more mindful about light.

Oh yeah, I run away from anything that isn't a bat swarm (and maybe a pirate if I'm desperate for money but high on hull). Fought a weird island once though, which I assumed would murder me, but it never hit me.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Megazver posted:

A deeply depressed bearded man is kickstarting a deeply depressing game about a parent coming in terms with accidentally killing their own child. Everything in the game is made out of paper and heartbreak:

A Song for Viggo.

This is so grim. I kinda love it.

Frontiers seems cool and I wish I remembered why I didn't back it

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Yodzilla posted:

Did you ever use any of the chalices other than the one that refills your health and magic? I sure didn't.

I did when I fished up one of his helpers. 10 seconds of invincibility ain't bad.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

The Insomia guys mentioned it in their congrats update, but I'm pretty excited for After Reset which looks like it'll hit funding. They've tried before with a goal of 900k, but the guy behind it is a little obsessed with the game and has been supposedly pouring money from the business he owns into making the game. I followed it after it didn't get funded and they've been keeping up with development since then and they've got some pretty cool stuff so far. They showed off a bit of their character creation recently and it looks solid.

The guy's kinda crazy but I'm excited.

Wait, they went from a 900,000 ask to 35,000? How is that gonna work at all?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

How the hell do you back double digits projects let alone 26. There's been MAYBE at a stretch (heh) 6 worthwhile things to toss in for.

What are these 6 paragons of gamekind?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
This is a neat looking game whose campaign ends soon:

Deer God

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Kamrat posted:

Why do some kickstarters still have Ouya as a target platform? Didn't it flop?

Anyone crazy enough to back Ouya will back anything, so why not?

The real question is why PS4 is so loving high up on stretch goals given that it is the most successful

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's already made so much money at this point that it doesn't really have to be finished. People are clearly willing to pay ridiculous sums of money for promises alone, why spoil it with an actual product?

I get that Kickstarter is built on paying money for the promise of something interesting, but why would you ever pay more than the cost of a pre-order for something like Star Citizen, which clearly doesn't need the help?

I assume because a. you want the fancy exclusive giant ships and b. giving the developer more money means they should be able to make a better product, regardless of how much money they already had

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Megazver posted:

The creators of Oknytt are making a new Settlers/Banished/Dwarf Fortress type of game focused on online co-op settlement management called Northward. There's a technical alpha available with some basic gameplay. It's decent. I'm backing it. It's on Indiegogo but they're using Fixed Funding, so Indiegogo's main downside is not in play. (Although WTF with the two mandatory address lines? They want me to put just the house number in one and the street name and the apartment name in the other? What?)

Indiegogo's main downside is that it's not kickstarter and this won't get funded :(

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
This neat looking game is ending soon :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682108903/jotun

Scared it might be a bit barebones, but it's very pretty

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Correnth posted:

We just hit our funding goal on Kickstarter with a little shy of 48h left on the clock. I don't want to spam the thread or anything, like I've said before, but a good chunk of that was goon money, and me and the team wanted to offer our thanks to those of you who backed us. Knowing that we made it is an awesome feeling. =D

Congrats!

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

vmdvr posted:

It`s basically a two person team, and they are both giant assholes, so I wouldn`t worry too much.

Like, "pre-madonna" IS the rest of the team.

Yeah, in his 'leaving the company' post, the guy couldn't even decide if 4 or 5 other people worked on the game.

What gets me are all the people rallying to his cause.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mr Underhill posted:

I know it's not video games but the Exploding Kittens card game made 2 mil in its first day. I hope this is good for games kickstarters overall... Pump some hype back into Ks. drat! It's by the guy who made the NIN Year Zero ARG and the Oatmeal people.o

I doubt it's good for Kickstarters overall, since it looks like a bad game funding on hype alone

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
All I want is to be able to fly A-wing starter ship into the bridge of a big expensive thing and make it explode

Etalommi posted:

Yup. They try to get around it a bit by making you replace the mods and adding a delay for the replacement that grows with how often the ship is destroyed. However, these will likely either be trivial or nerfed after the sperglords whine. The stupidest part of the whole thing is that even if they somehow manage to make an amazing game in every other respect, the economy will be so broken and real-money driven that it's still not a good game overall. They can't make a game worth investing in without screwing over the people investing in it.

I think they realized quickly how silly lifetime insurance was, and now they're trying to figure out how to deal with it without trivializing it or making it way too valuable... which I don't think can be done

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Chairchucker posted:

Huh, apparently Obsidian Entertainment are teaming up with Zero Radius Games to make a Pillars of Eternity card game. I've never heard of ZRG but I guess they make card games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081578473/pillars-of-eternity-lords-of-the-eastern-reach-car

Not really my thing but whatevs, hopefully they make a bunch of money off of this.

The font and spacing make it look like the name of the thing is "ETERNITY LORDS"

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Does Kickstarter sometimes just fail to charge your card correctly? Just had two campaigns end and complain about payment even though my credit card is working fine :confused:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

RottenK posted:

Larian makes good games so I don't care if they get nerds to finance all their games forever but didn't the first OS sell well enough to fund the developement?

Why spend your own money when you can spend someone else's?

Especially with Kickstarter, where you can basically rack up presales way in advance and keep almost all the money, and still go get regular financing for your game after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Tippis posted:

Hell, the FFIX animations were so long that even the game itself acknowledged it by including a skip/reduce time option.

I don't understand how no one tested that game and said "what the gently caress is this poo poo"

FFIX is so good. But so loving burdened by this poo poo (and the steal mechanics)