Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I got my Barkley 2 kickstarter reward today:

Its pretty awesome! I need a pillow for it though.

I am now instantly sad that I forgot to back that kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Greyman posted:

How come the people who backed you at the $20/$50/$75 don't have your intense gratitude?

Yeah! What about those of us that funded it?!? (Congrats dude!)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Microcline posted:

a single AAA flop (Star Wars: The Old Republic).

Uhhhhh they made all that money back in the first two months and it's the third most popular MMO out there last I saw and was making bank off cosmetic poo poo. Might wanna rethink your stance there. Also :lol: Star Citizen will kill crowdfunded video games when it fails to come out forever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DatonKallandor posted:

"So we're gonna hire you." "Great can I have my first couple months pay right now?" It doesn't work in the non-video game world, why would it work that way with a publisher?

You clearly don't understand video game development. Are you even a dev??

The one thing I've learned from kickstarter games and the drama with it and other crowdfunded stuff is that game making is completely different from any other kind of job and is actually harder and more complex than anything else attempted by man and is never ever on track with their own goals or estimates and everything will take 10 years to accomplish anything. It's really weird.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FreeKillB posted:

Technically the investments aren't confirmed but are merely reserved, in that after the campaign ends anyone with a reservation will get a formal description of the offering and the option to confirm their investment. It looks like they'll only offer that option up to a certain point, which if the campaign ended now would be only $1.2 million. The $2 million amount is the maximum amount Obsidian agreed to allow, but it's a little opaque whether the fact that the 'current cap' is determined by Fig or Obsidian, and I expect that similar to Psychonauts 2 they won't necessarily decide to offer the full $2 million.

This sounds insanely confusing to me who had never heard of fig and even though I got the email from obsidian I thought it was a scam website

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SupSuper posted:

Well looks like they got rid of all the Fig Club exclusive stuff, and it's already 40% funded in one day! Fears settled.

Now to figure out how much can I afford to give the man that basically made me The OpenXcom Guy without filing for bankruptcy. :ohdear:

yeah but wheres openTFTD HUH SUPSUPER WHERE

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mirificus posted:

I came across this post about Ashes of Creation in /r/Games

This is star citizen levels of scam lmao

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mirificus posted:

Referral Program - Ashes of Creation: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/referral-program/

[emphasis in the original]

Chris Roberts looks at this and crys because he didnt push it first lmao

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

the coolest part about kickstarter is getting emails 5 years later with a game in that you dont remember ever backing or what because it's been so long. downside is you probably forget about the cash you spent on these things

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So paradox is going to make all the money on these mid tier games then

thats actualkly a really good plan. very valve

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Fig just feels like a scam even if it isn't. The whole thing just smells wrong and I can't tell you why cause i don't even care about whatever the creators did. The website just gives off scam vibes and i really want the freaky horror xcom to succeed

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Megazver posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun did an interview with Jon Shafer yesterday and people thought it odd that it doesn't mention At the Gates at all.

Turns out they saved it for today's continuation article. They still don't talk about the, uh, controversial issues with its production.

what are these issues?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I guess Shroud of the Avatar only has 500k left and is launching in july and they say they have 280k expenses a month :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6elvda/after_rereading_everything_in_seedinvest_im_about/?st=j3fppv3a&sh=b17477e9

hold on to your butts this will probably be funny

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DatonKallandor posted:

It's a sibling of Star Citizen. The conmen in charge are good friends, they even did cross promotion and they're both not building a game in a sustainable way, just promising more features to draw in more money so they can promise more features. It's just less high profile than the spaceship jpg emporium.

It's so amazing to see the legends of yesteryears Origin coming back to scam nerds outta money once those nerds grew up and got money to burn. It's breathtaking in a way.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So star citizen just put up the whole company and up and all their assets as collateral to a bank for a loan lmao

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

yeah haha. heres the whole thing in pdf form.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/charges/W3FsufjDb8gTRZZqoCvnEAJKzSk

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

152 million and going!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I can't wait for it to become a gamergate/trump thing and get super politicized. That's the logical next step in this sort of thing really.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Chairchucker posted:

Huh. Ancient Cities is apparently on IndieGogo, now.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ancient-cities-extended-pc#/

But like just to get stretch goals I guess? Not sure how I feel about this.

That's super shady and real gross and greedy

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kai Tave posted:

Wellllll...

Shhhhhhh! Spoilers, c'mon man!

So. Pathfinder Online somehow remains online to this day. As of yet, none of the promised features, or any features for that matter, have been implemented to the best of my knowledge. Goblinworks has slowly, but steadily, been subsumed by Paizo in an official capacity, putting the lie to the idea that the two companies were ever actually distinct entities...billing now goes through Paizo instead of Goblinworks, for instance. Lisa Stevens is still the acting, and effectively official, CEO of Goblinworks-in-name-only. Periodic blog updates were posted hinting that Goblinworks was in negotiations with a secretive prospective investor referred to only as NewCorp but unforeseen difficulties continued to push this back over and over again.

On March 17th 2017, a blog update was posted titled The Road Forward.

Nobody, it seems, is interested in salvaging Pathfinder Online. There will be no angel investors swooping in to save the day, no lottery winners with more money than sense, Notch won't be taking a break from shitposting on Twitter to turn things around. Lisa Stevens is committed to lying in the bed that Ryan Dancey made, for good or for ill. The blogpost itself gives a more extensive breakdown of the roadmap they've set for themselves. By May of 2017 their goal was to make it so that enemies would attack all nearby characters, not just those in a party. By January of 2018 they want to have friends lists.

As for Ryan Dancey, Alien Rope Burn is correct. According to his Linkedin, Ryan Dancey became Director at Alderac Entertainment Group in September of 2015 where he's remained to the present day. Sharp-eyed readers may recognized Alderac Entertainment as the company that Dancey himself helped found back in the mid-90's to produce and publish the Legend of the 5 Rings CCG, which means he's come full circle all the way back to his roots. However Alderac no longer owns L5R actually...in the very same month they sold the rights to it to Fantasy Flight Games, who are now in the process of rebooting it as a non-collectable Living Card Game. To the best of my limited research Dancey was not actually involved in this decision, though it would be funny if he was. These days Alderac isn't involved in anything terrible big or exciting. They publish Smash Up, Love Letter, Thunderstone, and a couple dozen other games that for the most part nobody has ever heard of or cared about. Ryan Dancey seems to spend most of his time talking about politics on Twitter, saying absolutely nothing whatsoever about games of any sort, let alone Pathfinder Online, but I have every confidence that a man of innumerable talents such as himself can't be kept down for long.

UnknownXV logged off of Pathfinder Online one day and was never heard from again. His whereabouts remain a mystery.

Lisa Stevens seems like a pretty good person for even doing that much for the thing. Weird. I feel dirty praising a business.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thundercleese posted:

Hey y'all I'm the developer of this game! (Big thanks Manyorcas for the writeup a few posts up.) I knew even a year ago when I started on this path that it was going to be a tough sell, so I made as big and polished a demo as I could and now it's just a question of whether that show of competence and good faith is enough to overcome people's skepticism of game Kickstarters, and whether the audience I thought might be out there for this niche will find it. If I'm wrong... well, the all-or-nothing model is a good thing for everybody in this case. Taking nobody's money would be a whole lot better than taking not enough.

If you're a person like me who plays JRPGs for the combat system first and foremost, I think you'd enjoy the game a lot. The demo is available here for Windows & Mac.

On Matsuno - I'd love to see something along the lines of Crimson Shroud again, a small game that is his style top-to-bottom.

It looks pretty neat and I wish I had money I could throw it at you. I've been enjoying the demo so far! Maybe try to shill it at some star citizen dudes, they spent 150 million on a scam game so maybe they'd give you some cash for a game that actually exists and will exist and is real? Maybe try to sell your blood to backers like Garriot is too lol. Hope you get the money you need dude!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What I know thanks to kickstarter is to never ever back a game or anything else.

death is certain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is barkley 2 vaporware yet