Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Some kickstarters I didn't see mentioned (in this thread) were the successful No Time To Explain kickstarter (although I think the original flash game was enough), the successful Octodad 2 kickstarter (I'm excited for this game), and the successful Idle Thumbs Video Game Podcast kickstarter for which backers of a certain level get a sequel to the free Indie game Gavity Bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Shalinor posted:

This is us: http://gravitazgame.com

There's a thread for it now

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SupSuper posted:

This probably isn't as nostalgic as most Kickstarters going on, but remember the classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge?

More Chip's Challenge-style gameplay, made by the same guy that did it the first time?! This sounds amazing.

I wish there were a more well-defined basic reward tier, though. $5 is "maybe you're preordering the game, maybe not" and the next tier is $25.

Edit: Actually I think I just read it wrong. I think $5 is "preorder the base game for sure and either the whole thing or at least $10 worth of DLC".

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 18, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Boiled Water posted:

You could just make a kickstarter that said 'I'm going to pocket your money' as long as you remember to pay taxes.

Actually, vaguely similar kickstarter proposals get denied by Kickstarter.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dancer posted:

So here's a game that I would say really really deserves the relatively modest amount of money it's asking for:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/niffler/chucks-challenge-3d?ref=home_location
If you haven't played Chip's Challenge back in the day, you really missed out. It's one of the greatest puzzle games out there. Now the original creator is making a sequel and it needs 1K more in the next 2 days and a bit.
Also worth noting is that the lowest reward tier that gets you the game is 5bux. Definitely worth it, I would say.
It's just a port of an existing game, and that existing game isn't very good according to at least one goon who's played it:

Agrias120 posted:

buttopticor posted:

More Chip's Challenge-style gameplay, made by the same guy that did it the first time?! This sounds amazing.

I wish there were a more well-defined basic reward tier, though. $5 is "maybe you're preordering the game, maybe not" and the next tier is $25.

Edit: Actually I think I just read it wrong. I think $5 is "preorder the base game for sure and either the whole thing or at least $10 worth of DLC".
It's honestly not very good. I downloaded it on iOS a while back and it didn't have any of the same charm that Chip's Challenge did.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
There's Gravitaz, which has Shalinor on the team. SA thread

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Jason Rohrer, the guy who made those artsy games like Passage, Gravitation, Sleep is Death, and Inside a Star-filled Sky has made a 2-player (single cart) game for DS called Diamond Trust of London. You both try to out-compete each other in the diamond business, while doing sneaky things like bribing people to give you information your opponent thought was secret. It sounds kind of fun, but I don't know if I'd want to put that kind of money down for a game that requires my opponent to have a DS.

Anyway, he has a kickstarter up for production of carts (the game is already made and approved by Nintendo if he can order enough carts) kickstarter link.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Darthemed posted:

Diamond Trust of London, a 2-player diamond-trading strategy game for Nintendo DS has 5 days to make ~$5000. Kind of doubt that they'll make it, given the niche appeal of such a game.

Whoa, they're that close? I really wish the game were just released for PC or something; it looks interesting to play but I don't know how many times I'd get someone to play DS local multiplayer these days.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

the black husserl posted:

They will absolutely make it. No kickstarter gets that close and fails, its part of the weird psychology of the supporters spending habits.

Yeah, they got more than half of their remaining money yesterday, and they still have 5 days left. It may have helped that they changed some reward tiers to encourage people to chip a bit more in, but now it's looking like they'll probably be fine.

Edit: Actually a lot of that was a single huge donation…

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Personally, this thread has given me all the updates about Kickstarters I might want, that aren't contained in the individual Kickstarter pages. I figure if a game hasn't come out yet, then all the information we have comes from the Kickstarter page itself, and if there's something really special that warrants its own thread for more discussion than goes on here, I imagine the Games mods would allow the thread.

Megazver posted:

So yeah, apparently you can't even PM mods if you don't have the upgrade. Lame.
Incidentally, this is why pretty much every mod has their e-mail address listed somewhere (e.g. in profile, the general SA rules, the thread of rules for an individual forum, etc.)
For example, Axemaniac's e-mail address is listed on the very old forum rules page.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

lordfrikk posted:

notable ones do, I feel.
I agree, and it's my understanding that the admins/Games mods do too. That's why if it warrants a thread, mod approval can be gotten.

I just personally don't read those individual game threads much, but that doesn't mean I think, say, the Wasteland 2 thread shouldn't exist.

octoroon posted:

I kind of instinctively dismiss any KickStarter that claims to want to make an MMO. I mean it would take some absolutely stunningly crazy name-recognition for something on that scale to seem viable through KickStarter.
I was thinking the same thing.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah, agreed. For a sword game with a 1:1 control scheme to work, the controller has to be able to stop when it hits another sword or a person or whatever. And that's not really a thing that's possible.

Otherwise you're just doing the same old 'waggle horizontally to slash THIS WAY' 'waggle vertically to slash THAT WAY' that we've already seen in Wii games.
Well, there is a middle ground, where the angle of your fake-sword actually matters, but it's still a little weird when the controller can't really stop, as in Red Steel 2 (which used the WiiMotion Plus), except, that's already been done…

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I just heard about this big videogame music bundle kickstarter project. Basically, the various rewards are digital downloads and/or CDs of various game soundtracks/arrange albums from a wide variety of artists: Kickstarter page

The main focus is on releasing a 2CD set: one CD for music from Rokko-chan* and one CD for arrangements thereof. However, there are other video game music things involved, including (a lot more than) "Super Meat Boy Choice Piano Cuts", "The Binding of Isaac: The Wrath of the Lamb", CDs of Hydorah music, and live music from Nobuo Uematsu.

*Rokko-chan is a well-regarded 8-bit Megaman style game done in Flash and playable here. (You need joy to key if you want to use a gamepad.)

dirby fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 11, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Flexible Funding :negative:

I've never used IndieGogo before, but is it possible for me to withdraw funds at the last minute if they don't reach their goal, or is it immediate funding rather than a pledge for "flexible funding"?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
This came up in the Ouya thread, but not everyone reads that. There's apparently a kickstarter for an iDevice dock with controllers and TV-out called "gamedock".

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Al! posted:

it's really fun if still pretty incomplete.
This is also the status of Cloudberry Kingdom, which is in Beta (Alpha?) now, but I don't know if that counts as "major".

dirby fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 11, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I found three games that I thought looked pretty interesting.
First, is Crea, which is more or less Terraria, but it has a really good art style, and I think it could become something of its own thing.
I wonder how this will pan out. With only 15k I hope they have some good deals on a musician and/or artist because for the game to have the kind of modding community they're hoping for, I think it'd have to be pretty special.

quote:

Next is QONQR which reminds me of a combination of The Secret World and Parallel Kingdom, which is a pretty awesome combination. It's more or less a real-world map-based MMO for mobile systems and the PC.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but massively multiplayer anything, mobile or no, with only a 25k goal sounds impossible.

quote:

Last is Project Locus, which is a cyber-punk RPG in the vein of Diablo with an emphasis on co-op. They're asking for a lot of money.
50k is not a lot of money to make a game of this scale, and it looks like their tiers are set reasonably. I'm not personally interested in that kind of game, but that's the only one of the three I'd really consider possible to end well.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

atholbrose posted:

I also went ahead and backed Moon Intern, which I don't think anyone's mentioned here before.

Star Guarded posted:

Moon Intern

Watch the video - it's rather hard to explain. Kind of a randomly generated, serialized 2d action/sidescroller with base build elements. They're asking for 30k.

quote:

This is one I hope works out.
It's definitely a cool idea; I hope they can deliver a good fraction of what they're pitching.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
So Skyjacker is probably not going to make it on this round of Kickstarter, but if it doesn't, they'll break up the development into smaller pieces offering some sort of software for money up-front. Also "who there prayed for Skyjacker in OUYA? Your dreams are not such unreal now :))" :shepface:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Tippis posted:

That said, given the data they must have collected by now, it really shouldn't be that hard to come up with a proper “standard evolution of pledges” formula that could give a much more accurate estimate. It would still be simple maths, just not naïve maths.
Isn't that what the Prediction (not the "Trending") that pops up after the first few days is? Or did they get rid of that?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Francois Kofko posted:

Pretty sure the only predictor they have is a linear regression

That's definitely false, because they have two "predictors". If you go to a page like the kicktraq for Castle Story, you can see four tabs, two of which are labeled "[Exp] Projection" and "[Exp] Trend".

There's not enough data for the "projection" yet for that project, but on something else, like Ouya, clicking the Projection tab shows a different sort of prediction than the "trend" tab.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Remember Tortured Hearts, that RPG that was designed (except for artwork, IIRC) by this sweet old lady but didn't have the best kickstarter because they had almost nothing they could actually show? Well it has a website now.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
A physical reward at $25 is probably not the best idea.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I just found out that Indiegogo does not make it obvious that you've contributed to something (you have to go through your dashboard), and even if something is fixed funding I think you can't cancel payments (or even combine your contributions). That's really obnoxious.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Renoistic posted:

Contrast on Greenlight looks pretty cool, actually.

I'm kinda glad you posted that here because the Greenlight thread seems to be a lot more of a repository of bad Greenlight projects.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Shalinor posted:

Rhythm Destruction looks like it could be pretty cool. It's a mixture of shooter and DDR - rather than shooting, you're DDR'ing with one hand and maneuvering with the other.
The idea reminds me a bit of synaesthete. Also holy poo poo the soundtrack is partially done by Kyle Ward, a.k.a. KaW a.k.a. almost every other composer name in In The Groove/ITG2! That's a pretty big deal, so now I'm excited.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Urdnot Fire posted:

Anyways, since I'm tired of horrible, non-Kickstarter posts, here's an interesting FPS called Retrovirus.

Basically, you play as an anti-virus program and destroy an infection. It's a neat concept and is certainly a diversion from the gritty FPS norm these days. The MOBA multiplayer mode in particular sounds like fun. The team behind this, Cadenza Interactive, created a game called Sol Survivor a couple years back, which itself was a fun little indie turret defense/strategy game.

As a followup to this: While the kickstarter failed, they ended up getting a deal with gamestop to have the game released on gamestop's digital download service (which I didn't know existed): gamestop purchase page free demo page

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The Rhythm Destruction team just updated their demo to make things a bit more fair and to increase compatibility. They really seem to be seriously working on things, so I hope they make it (but worry as their low end projection on Kicktraq is below their goal).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

jvempire posted:

Not a videogame, but a boardgame.

For reference, Trad Games has its own crowdfunding thread.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AnonSpore posted:

Does Kickstarter not have any sort of quality checking before you can throw up a project? :psyduck:

The Awful Kickstarters thread's size rivals this one.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AllanGordon posted:

Is there a good list anywhere of successfully funded kickstarters and maybe dates when they released their games?

Diamond Trust of London and Unemployment Quest came out. As did No Time to Explain and betas of Cloudberry Kingdom and Rhythm Destruction.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CrookedB posted:

Speaking of the soon-to-be-launched Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 kickstarter, I've had the pleasure of interviewing Chef Boyardee about it. For those interested, the interview has a lot of exclusive info and a bunch of Barkley 2 screenshots: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632

that interview posted:

We set the goal for $35,000 because this is a realistic number that we think we can reach
That's peanuts. If they don't double that in the first 24 hours I'll buy myself some dumb custom title or something.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If someone makes a banner ad, I'll buy it.
Edit: I should probably post that in the thread for the game.

dirby fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 29, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

He probably would have made if it the kickstarter didn't end at 2am EST.
Sad, but probably true.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

I don't know if anyone here got anything from that summer bundle, but now there's a nubuwo winter bundle of chip tunes and game song remixes, etc.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cassielle posted:

What is it? Akaneiro is a free-to-play action-RPG in the vein of Diablo and Torchlight, set in Edo-era Japan.
I read this, decided I wasn't personally interested, and didn't bother with the rest of the post. I didn't even realize you were trying to do some sort of question and answer session until you posted about it now.

I don't understand what benefit SA would get over having questions about the game answered here when they could just be answered on the Kickstarter itself for those interested; to give us secret answers other people don't get would be weird. For questions not about the game, then yeah maybe an Ask thread in Ask/Tell would be appropriate.

If there were independently a big fanbase on SA clamoring for your game, then asking a mod for permission to post a thread of your own would make some sense, too. But as you saw, there doesn't appear to be one.

Finally, if there was any confusion/doubt, I am not a mod of the Games forum in any way and if I'm out of bounds report me/PM/e-mail me.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I've never used Indie Gogo before and don't they still get the money even if it's not successful? I'm sure I remember hearing that somewhere :shrug:
The little bit that says "Flexible Funding campaign" means that GNERDL will work that way. There are many projects that are on indiegogo that say "Fixed Funding campaign" which means it works like Kickstarter. Also sometimes Flexible Funding campaigns will be set up in such a way that it's reasonable to say "you still get the goodies even if we don't hit the goal", and then it's up to you as to whether or not you trust them.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Can you withdraw from flexible funding pledges before the end of the funding drive or are you locked in as soon as you pledge?

Pledging deducts money immediately; you're locked in.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

MikeJF posted:

What is the actual point of the 'goal' in Flex Funding projects?

It's a number that if you don't reach it, indiegogo takes a bigger slice of the pie. So I guess every flex funding thing should just have a goal of $1…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Antitonic posted:

They've got a couple familiar names attached, chief among them being Wil Wheaton.
I disagree. I think the most notable is that it's being done by Iridium Studios, who made the excellent-for-what-it-was game Sequence.
Edit: I'm talking about There Came An Echo.