Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Occupation posted:

Is this the place where I can voice my distaste for Brian Fargo's ill-thought-out and pointless "Kick it Forward" campaign? Because man, I really really really don't like it, and I've been following Kickstarter for a long time.

What's not to like? It's a promise to put 5% of your profits into other Kickstarter game dev projects. Like, the developer decides that's something they want to do with their money, and then they do it. Do you not like it when people decide they want to fund Kickstarter projects and then do just that? Because that's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wow Occupation, you have a really weird hate-on for Brian Fargo. With your whole "waah" thing, typing out crying noises, I get the distinct impression that literally anything he did/said would be cast in a stupid, stupid light by you and you'd jump up and down about how disingenuous and baby-like he is. Like, I'm of the opinion that the whole Kick it Forward thing is in fact a publicity stunt, but that is irrelevant because good things are good. And you're making the most puerile complaints about everything, and it's kind of weird. Chill out man (unless you know the guy in real life and he's a huge dick or something, if that's the case then I guess acting like a school kid on the playground might be more appropriate).

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 29, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I need some help: is my humor detector broken? In the Jane Jensen video, the daughter/interviewer says that Jensen wants to write games with good plots, like a novel. She clarifies that she doesn't mean some crappy beach-read, but a "serious novel," like The DaVinci Code.

Is that a joke, or does she actually think that The DaVinci Code was a serious novel? I want to say it's a joke, but they play it so incredibly straight in the video (complete with a laugh and "Well, she's not that good") that I'm just confused now :ohdear:

I wasn't really planning on supporting this one since it, as mentioned, only talks about how great Jensen is and doesn't give any clear indication of what kind of game I'd be supporting (a problem with the whole CSG deal, perhaps), but I'm not sure I want to even bother playing the old Gabriel Knight games if The DaVinci Code is what this woman considers serious fiction. Like, I'm just fine playing a game that's no better than a fun if ultimately goofy thriller novel (because hey, it's fun and goofy!), but if that's considered shooting for the stars, I don't really want to see the reality, if that makes any sense.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 6, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

They also say that they'll be using motion capture "thanks to some friends at Disney/Pixar." Riiiiight.

e: Thanks a lot Al, making me look slow and dumb :shobon:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Anybody who hasn't seen the Sherlock Holmes video, I highly recommend it. Fair warning: it involves references to Monty Python and most of the jokes are groan-worthy. You might have to be an old man and/or connoisseur of dadjokes to find it funny, but I loved it.

It probably won't make its goal (needs to raise almost 40k in less than two days), but it looks pretty neat. I also loved the games as a kid, so there's that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

full point posted:

I think its Korean and means "fast hands."

It literally means "high hand." Not literally, it means you're really good at something (Go, martial arts, StarCraft, whatever).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Like in all areas in one's life, being smart with your money is the most important thing you can do. Just don't say pre-ordering a game from an AAA studio now is something better and risk-free than pre-ordering via Kickstarter, because it isn't. Results will vary in both cases, and you may get rewarded or hosed accordingly.

Not really. There is no benefit to pre-ordering games from large studios, unless you count stupid-rear end weapons exclusive to Gamestop as something desirable.

There's minimal benefit to supporting a Kickstarter if it is any good, because then you might get the game cheaper, or get some extra funding perk or whatever.

Either way, if you want to be smart with your money, you'll wait until the drat game comes out and gets good reviews, and then buy it. The "reward" you're talking about isn't a reward, it's "Hey, I didn't waste my money." There are other ways to accomplish that goal.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

If everyone thought like you this new way to produce games would never had taken off. There would be no Wasteland 2, no Shadowrun, no Banner Saga, nothing.

That's pretty irrelevant to, well, everything. Yes, if everyone made the same decision, Kickstarter wouldn't work. Since the world you describe is nothing like the real world, though, we can ignore it and instead base our actions off of other people's behavior. As you say, "This isn't hard to grasp."

quote:

but if you had not helped its funding, there would be no game

You're right. If I hadn't donated to Banner Saga or Wasteland 2, they wouldn't have happened. It's all me. You're welcome.

The point (that you missed quite spectacularly) is that Kickstarter is not a venue for being "smart" with your money. It's a venue for backing projects that you'd like to see made and getting a warm fuzzy feeling from it. It isn't quite charity, because you hopefully get something back, but it's pretty close to it. Support projects that you want to support. Similarly, donate to the history museum if you want to see more dinosaur bones, and donate to your local public gallery if you want to see public art. The latter two will usually come with a free tote bag or coffee mug, but you're not giving MoMA $100 or whatever for a tote bag. Similarly, you're not giving your pet project $25 in exchange for a video game that may or may not be made. You're giving them money and hoping they'll make the product, because you want to give them a shot and it makes you feel good to do it. If you're going to be hyper-rational with your money and look for return on investment and all that, Kickstarter is not the place for you. Read: if you're going to be "smart" with your money, Kickstarter is not for you. It is for giving money to projects and then feeling good about that.

You can make better and worse decisions when it comes to which projects to back, of course, but when an investment is "better" to you, it generally also looks "better" to other people and therefore the impact of your $50 or whatever decreases tremendously. The Kickstarters where your money actually would help a game get made that otherwise would not are precisely those that are less likely to produce a satisfactory product. So follow your heart.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Electric Pope posted:

This post got me extremely excited, and implied this project was something I'd been wanting for years. But man, the idea that 1:1 control of your sword, whether it's by motion control or weird mouse control stuff, is necessary for that or even desirable really bothers me. It seems like something that sounds cool, but really thinking about it, it comes across as the same logic as thinking a game like ARMA 2 needs a reloadable light gun.

Yeah, agreed. For a sword game with a 1:1 control scheme to work, the controller has to be able to stop when it hits another sword or a person or whatever. And that's not really a thing that's possible.

Otherwise you're just doing the same old 'waggle horizontally to slash THIS WAY' 'waggle vertically to slash THAT WAY' that we've already seen in Wii games.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wait, so anything the guy reviews you automatically won't buy?

That's rather peculiar, to say the least. I mean, it would make some sort of sense if you were automatically and blindly hating everything the guy likes, but hating everything he reviews is just, well, peculiar.

And if you're not supporting a game you think you'd like and otherwise want to support because someone you don't like reviewed it, of all things, than that's just a whole other level. What precisely am I missing here?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jefferoo posted:

This isn't my world at all!

gently caress! Christ!

Holy crap, Bestow got a job. Expect art assets on ogres and 'vials of dong slobber' in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

That Pamplemouse game is bad. The singer is bad at singing and apparently doesn't know how to pronounce the words she uses. I hope that she goes on about loving "drot" beer and "drot" horses in the next installment!

If this were a placeholder or something, it might be acceptable. But if it's any indication of the game's final quality, it's going to be a stinker. I like the concept (and the stop-motion figures aren't bad, and the writing is OK), but the execution is really lacking.