Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm pretty sure emoticon's point still stands. They don't bring any expertise from a management, business, or technical perspective and are apparently raising the money they need. How is this any different from the Your World millionaire who can easily fund his game but will never succeed in making it because he has no management or business experience or technical experience? Having an established brand or fanbase doesn't make producing something and managing a project one iota easier.

Think of it like celebrity perfumes, the celebrity gives an idea of what scent they want and then the grunt work is done by other people who check in occasionally to okay changes and the design of the bottle. The celebrity gets to dip their hand into design while the actual company making it uses the brand of the celebrity to increase sales. It might even be that a perfume company has a scent they want to launch but can't gain traction of more established perfume brands so they approach the celebrity for an endorsement and branding deal.

As a celebrity, you don't need to have experience in making perfume because you're doing minuscule changes around the edges of a design made and managed by other people. I assume it's the same case with Yogventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Seashell Salesman posted:

This was, and remains, my point. What I said was it is the same as the Your World guy, ie. random scrub with means to fund project has a vision.

You're making a bad comparison, the Your World guy wants to be a project director as he has a complete design of what he wants to do (as unworkable as it may be).

The Yogscast guys are lending a name to a project and are consulting on making "minecraft except with better tools for adventure maps". The difference is between a general direction for a design to follow (generalised expectations can be very useful for placing the boundaries of a project) and an ill thought out list of desires.

The advantage they have over both Your World and celebrity perfumers is that they have quite a bit of first-hand knowledge about making a good adventure map. Remember that Simon and Lewis are not the totality of the Yogscast, they have a team who work on making Shadows of Israphael. As well as general community members who submit their own work for them to play.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 9, 2012

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

I hope, for the sake of basic decency, this is more Hetalia, and less actual WWII. But yeah, I can barely comprehend the existence of the game as a whole. I mean, who thought, 'I really wish Hitler was a hot girl I could have sex with'?

It's even worse than that its "I wish that the had imperial Japanese Army teamed up with Hitler to win the war." Plus its being made by the same people who brought you “Transformed into Females!! Biographies of World Dictators” featuring 70 Dictators!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's also how Kickstarter was supposed to work. Rather than providing funding for the whole budget, the idea was that you would crowd fund an initial budget to 'kick start' your project so you could show both interest and a product to more serious investors.

Obviously, that has changed a lot, but there really isn't any problem with that method as long as it is clearly stated.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 23, 2014

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Simon Rogers posted:

The TimeWatch RPG is an GUMSHOE-powered game from the makers of 13th Age, Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agent.
As of this post we are close on $30K. Our intial goal was $4K, so we are rather excited.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kevinkulp/timewatch-gumshoe-investigative-time-travel-rpg

You've got a time machine, high-powered weapons and a whole lot of history to save. Welcome to TimeWatch! TimeWatch is the new GUMSHOE game of investigative time travel from game designer Kevin W. Kulp. TimeWatch takes Robin D. Laws' superb GUMSHOE rules and tunes them for improvisational GMing and fast-paced play.

Simon, this thread is pretty much only video games, you might want to go to the Traditional Games subforum kickstarter thread. Which can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139 . Also shilling without depth of content is generally frowned on in this thread, less so in the TG thread.

In fact, looking over it, the kickstarter has been already posted and favourably received.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 24, 2014

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Goredema posted:

The Repopulation is in its final 48 hours, and I'm still debating whether to drop $10-$25 on it. It sounds amazing, but I've already invested in one pie-in-the-sky, "you can do everything/anything you want in the game" project, and I'm not sure if backing another such idea is just throwing good money after bad. Any thoughts on whether this has a chance in hell of living up to its promises?

DON'T BACK MMO PROJECTS. NEVER DO IT! They are always too good to be true, and will inevitably die. MMOs with hundreds of millions of dollars behind them fail, why should a kickstarted one be any different?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well technically a producer's role is to provide funding (which is usually done by drumming up investors, so I guess kind of similar). This is more like those movies that have "Quentin Tarantino Presents" in the trailers - it's a big name lending some of their fame to a project they find interesting, but not actually having any role in its production.

I think they provide their spare offices and computers though, so the devs save on rent.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Darkhold posted:

Yeah what are they thinking? For $34 it needs to be a sure bet not a bunch of guys nobody knows about.

The lead Sheldon Pacotti wrote Deus Ex and has programming chops at least from his website. He's made a game as well called Cell: Emergence, so at least its not a bunch of narrative designers without any experience in programming.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

If you're making junk culture, you got to have a junk culture ethos. Release that poo poo if it's good/bad/superb someone will buy and read it. Move on to the next thing. Junk is a volume economy not a quality one.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

Oh, alright. I got my first computer in '97 so I wouldn't know who the guy is. No offense to any of those people, it just seemed like they were exaggerating the way they delivered their little speeches for some reason, I guess it's just me.

Part of the reason is that he hasn't had a new idea in 20 years. Siboot is a old trading game, with a bit of weird face reading thing. It gets tedious very very quickly.

He's got a bit of a cult around him that quickly disintegrates whenever people realise just how much an ego maniac he is and how unworkable his ideas are.

He drives for emotional connection in games, but designs games that are like interacting with someone on the spectrum. It's an almost purely mechanistic view of human interaction cloaked in aspirations towards art.

In meantime, he's designed awful games, that suck as games and barely work as experiments. Anything he says should be taken with the awareness that he's really really bad at this stuff.

Do you enjoy playing that weird game about a dinner party with a couple just about to break up, Facade? Then maybe you'll enjoy the 2d version of that except filtered by M.U.L.E.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another way of describing Chris Crawford's games is to say they're all plot and character but no narrative.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

His diagnosis is partially correct, but his treatment is impractical and can only really be implemented by a artificial general intelligence. And if that were possible, you'd be running into an ethical conundrum where you have a bunch of intelligent lifeforms enslaved to allow a bunch of fleshbags to act out their social fantasies using videogames.

Also, I wonder what he thinks of Japanese VNs. He probably thinks they're horrible failures that, while capable of finding more commercial success than western attempts at interactive fiction, still can't effectively simulate social interactions.

And this is the problem, his theories are bad from first principles. We don't create narrative to simulate social interactions.

We create narrative for a whole bunch of reasons, many of them social in and of themselves.

His dream is of Crusader Kings 2 but a version where you have to spend time analysing previous behaviour in order to guess how a character will react or behave.

Problem is people cry at the end of The Last of Us, not when they finish playing Crusader Kings 2. There's simply a great deal more emotional connection and involvement, even though there's a great deal less player choice and volition.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 10, 2015

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Trapezium Dave posted:

They are, or at least can be, and there have been attempts to generate narrative structures on the fly as well. I'm speaking in general here, not just Crawford's work. The problem they generally have is that once you loosen constraints or add more rules to your set, they fly off the rails and make really stupid stories.

I'm mainly going from what I remember from about a decade ago when I studied up on storytelling and character AI. The problem I have with Crawford's kickstarter is that it looks pretty similar to the stuff I remember from back then. His work was always very heavily based on rules and very obvious mechanics, and I don't think that's where the difficulty is. The presentation is at least as important. It's all about providing that sleight-of-hand to provide the illusion that you're dealing with genuine characters, which requires an artistic touch. And in the past Crawford has been very bad at that, and unfortunately I didn't see much change in that pitch

Even with a good artistic touch you're likely to get another God Will Be Watching, where the rules and mechanics aspect of the game mean it becomes an exercise in see through the obfuscation to see the rules as clearly as possible and then you've lost social believability.

Unfortunately, Crawford focuses on giving the player the agency to control the plot of a story, where the success of Tell Tale Games' series of interactive visual novels, shows that a far more effective strategy for player involvement is interactive control of the narrative (or how the story is told).

My bets are on people getting used to Tell Tale's slight of hand, where you don't have any real control over what happens, but still returning for the ability to add a personal flavour to what happens, and interactive storytelling evolving out from that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

That's the big "if". If they'd talked about it when the decision was made and showed off where the freed up effort was allocated in a big backer update, there'd be some grumbling but it'd pass. Only posting explanations when people call you out on editing your pages a month before launch gets trouble brewing.

It's not the crime that's the scandal, it's the cover up.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

I heard 'Crafting' had been cut? That's usually a big deal in those sort of games, right?

There was no crafting in the original Torment, so no. Crafting is an MMO/JRPG thing and their rip offs, its basically a motivator to grind.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

Whoa, huge diss on Arcanum outta nowhere.

Acranum is a poorly designed game, come at me.

(It's a good game, but with a lot of bad stuff as well, crafting being one of them!)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fuzz posted:

My take away from the last several pages is that apparently Wasteland 2 was bad?

It's more annoying than bad, fun can be had but it's despite the elements that were added in because of nostalgia.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Megazver posted:

Should have gone with Fig, I suppose.

If you're not a name, you don't raise large amounts of money on Fig either. Kickstarter at least has a large internal customer base.

Really the only games that make the megabucks at the moment are one single scam dream game MMO, and board game pre-orders.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

That's literally just the Pillars of Eternity UI, they didn't even change the icons.

I guess it's worked before but pitching something with visually unoriginal, and maybe plagiarised on kickstarter? It's not a great look, especially from Russians, makes it look like a knock off.

But Pathfinder is already a knock off, so maybe people won't care.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 6, 2017

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

njsykora posted:

Making things worse, people found an interview the head of Patreon gave in June where he said they'd rather have a few people making a lot of money (and giving them a bigger cut) than a lot of people making a few hundred bucks because the big people making lots of money get them more press.
https://twitter.com/juliedillon/status/939210129261473792

Actually a few hundred dollars counts in the "life changing" category. I don't like what Patreon has been doing but people are over-estimating what very low amounts means to Patron. There a tonne of low advertised Patreons that are in the ones or tens of dollars, hardly life changing amounts. This is what comes from not actually specifying what you're talking about and talking in easily misinterpreted generalities.

It's like how the bulk of Kickstaters are so terrible that they don't fund or receive only minimal amounts of money, but Kickstarter doesn't like advertising this fact because you'll probably fail isn't a sexy line to attract backers/creators.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

rujasu posted:

I can kinda understand where having people actually able to make a living off Patreon is better than a ton of people getting pocket change. Now if we're talking "we'd rather have 50 millionaires vs. 5000 people getting adequate money" then that's weak.

Yeah, having read the article they're not talking about Millionaires at all. They're totally on-board with "Having a Patreon lifted me over the poverty line" (that's legit life changing which is the definition of what they want, they don't want a narrative of Patreon buys me beer and doughnuts) but the venue for the article is this business speak growth marketing blog so all the human element has been removed and its shying away from giving away potential competitive advantage so its not specific AT ALL.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Megazver posted:

And it was obviously meant to be posted weeks ago. They dropped the ball hard on it.

It was posted by an author I've never heard of. For an authorial personality driven website, it sure is letting in a lot of dud authors recently.

There's always been people who suck on Rock Paper Shotgun, but at least they were competent and had a distinctive voice and opinions.

There's that guy that posted a bunch over the weekend who always ended an article with a really blatant call to action. Cheap engagement tricks like that were never RPS's thing.

(I guess it's a post-buy out quality decrease).

Edit: And I guess the author was hospitalized recently, but RPS really should have taken over the article.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 12, 2018

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

Holy crap, the Cyan "Kickstarter" which is pretty much pre-orders for collectors' physical boxes is nearly at $850,000 --more than three time the base goal which was $247,500 with 39 days to go.

I wonder if this success is going to create a new trend with similar Kickstarter "projects".

It's also not very secretly a SAVE OUR COMPANY kickstarter. So that's an extra reason to donate above and beyond the swag.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SupSuper posted:

Wow that's an unappealing art style.

This but for every adventure game released in the last ten years.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

That FNF Kickstarter looks like it’s going to be crushed under the weight of its stretch goals. They’re promising multiple extra games worth of content there.

and physical rewards in our year of the lord 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Now let's watch the trainwreck as they try to fulfill the 5000+ backers who wanted cd + casette etc

This is going to be a very good schadenfreude Kickstarter

The meme lord tone they've cultivated in their comments is going to bite them so hard in the rear end when they're two years behind and run out of budget and they have to troubleshoot why a sixteen-year-old backer's t-shirts haven't arrived yet

Their risks and challenges section inspires a lot of confidence that they have no ability to handle things at scale.

quote:

Risks and challenges

Making something is never easy, each and every level we've made thus far has been weeks of blood, sweat, and delays. Though after 5 months of development, and 7 'Weeks', we have a solid flow for handling production that's already brought us this far. And now we're trying to create something larger than the average free web game, pull talent across the web, and create the dream Newgrounds game people have been dying for since the old days. We either bring a cartoon world to life through a game filled to the brim with ballin' rear end content, or die trying.

We've spent years online making things before ever meeting each other, content creation is nothing new to any of us. Sure it won't be easy, but we think we've got what it takes.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 19, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
gently caress, how much money did he expect to get beyond the Kickstarter amount for a highly experimental and simple text heavy game?

Read the market! Every text game is essentially self-published. You just can't market a game to a broad audience that has no pretty pictures or movement. (If you've got an exception to this rule, I'd love to hear it!)

What would a publisher be doing that self-publishing wouldn't also do for a larger slice of the pie? There's no engine support, project management, or marketing resources that would make the game more attractive or sell better than slapping it up on Steam, becoming active in a few interactive fiction based communities, and posting in the Something Awful forums.

The smart move would have been to produce Harm Other with in the scope provided by the Kickstarter funds and build a portfolio and following that wasn't dependent on a dead website.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

fez_machine posted:

This is going to be a very good schadenfreude Kickstarter

The meme lord tone they've cultivated in their comments is going to bite them so hard in the rear end when they're two years behind and run out of budget and they have to troubleshoot why a sixteen-year-old backer's t-shirts haven't arrived yet

Their risks and challenges section inspires a lot of confidence that they have no ability to handle things at scale.

:synpa:

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Original_Z posted:

For those who remember Project Phoenix, someone released an old interview that was never published until now:

https://www.timeextension.com/features/the-man-behind-the-usd1-million-vapourware-rpg-project-phoenix

It’s very interesting to read this in hindsight knowing that the project would be a massive debacle and never released!

Notably, the interviewer is the author of The Untold History of Video Game Designers which had its own contentious kickstarter campaign.