Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

oneliquidninja posted:

More of a traditional gaming thing but that sub-forum had no kickstarter thread so posting it here.

Shockbolt, the guy who recently did a bunch of tiles for Angband and does the tiles for ToME 4 just put up a kickstarter for "Game Master's Campaign - The Fantasy art kit".

Basically it will be a bunch of new Shockbolt art with a program you can use to arrange and manipulate it as well as print it out for table top gamers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vortexgames/game-masters-campaign-the-fantasy-art-kit
Its called the TG crowd funding megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Plus, maybe it's possible they make more money being on Steam than being on Steam and GOG? I don't know if that's the case but I think it's actually encouraging that they're looking into things before making promises.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

How the hell do you kickstarter a game, get 28,000 dollars, and then decide to pay 3 dudes each a 33,000 dollar a year salary? How does that make any sense?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

seorin posted:

I don't think anyone has linked this yet: Rainfall: The Sojourn.

It's a 2D action RPG with great looking pixel art, character designs that aren't blatantly offensive, and it even looks like they're putting some effort into the writing. What they have so far looks very professional. I'm really impressed.

I'm definitely going to back this. It's pretty much exactly what I look for in a kickstarter. Cool looking game, reasonable price, and a modest goal.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I grabbed one of the £7 tier slots for Maia, it looks super cool and that's really drat reasonable.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Does this count even for projects with a mobile port as a stretch goal?

On the one hand, I don't really kickstart pure mobile games, but, if FTL had had a mobile port stretch goal...

I don't really get porting to other platforms as a stretch goal. Like, maybe if Mobile is a stretch goal and I know for sure it'll be on iPhone and not Android AND I get a free copy in addition to my PC copy that would be an incentive to pledge/up my pledge but for the most part goals like that don't offer any incentive to increase my pledge. Like, I'm buying the PC game already basically, I don't care if it's on Mac or Linux or whatever.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I like the look of the game but I feel like I would enjoy it more without the whole lighting aspect. I know people always want to add new or different mechanics to their platformers but it feels like a mechanic I would enjoy for one area/level and then quickly get tired of.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

There is a section of a Kickstarter page titled "Risks and Challenges"

This is what it reads for Wildman

quote:

Making games is inherently risky, with unseen challenges that inevitably spring up over the course of development. But we’re an experienced team, and we’re using our own proven technology and tools. We’re confident we can address these issues.

Most of the costs of a computer game development project are in the salaries of the people working on it, so significant delays in its release could require an additional influx of capital. Without this additional money, the release date could be in jeopardy. Mitigating that risk, however, is our history of delivering projects on-budget and on-time.

The design challenge is to blend two familiar genres in a satisfying way, and do it in a very short amount of time. We will only release Wildman when it meets our quality bar, and we intend to release in within a year of this Kickstarter. This is an ambitious goal, but we’ll have a lot of help…from all of you. Let’s do this together!

Maybe it should have read "We will have to lay off the entire staff of the company next week. We will try to make the game despite this."

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It's not even that they're lying by omission. They're flat out lying. The kickstarter form has a question on it. "What are the risks and challenges associated with your project?" How can anyone argue that they shouldn't have to list the fact that their company is days away from laying off all their employees as a risk or challenge associated with the project? What does this have to do with being an industry insider or an average gamer?

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 21, 2013

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I know its been out for a minute already, but I tried Banner Saga Tactics today for the first time and... man this game seems awful. I was really excited for the actual game but if this is the actual pace of the combat in the game it's going to be terrible. Also all of my characters feel like they do sweet gently caress all. I upgraded my archer to Bowmaster and now I can.... hit for 1 damage from 100 miles away? Wow was that a waste of time, I figured that poo poo would at least do damage.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

If you don't like it you don't like it, but it sounds like perhaps you just don't have the hang of it yet?

This could be true. I'm trying to like the game and maybe once I've unlocked a bunch more stuff it will be more fun. I think my first reaction was overly harsh. There is some fun stuff here, I just wish I had more options with my units (especially kinds of units) and more of an ability to customize without paying a million dollars. Plus the game still feels REALLY REALLY slow.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

OK, I'll stop posting about Factions after this, but man it just goes to show you how different folks' experiences can be.

My Steam profile says I've put almost 20 hours into Factions, and I think I've played around 50 games. So that's less than a half hour per game, especially considering time spent futzing around in the team-builder or waiting for matchmaking. My usual weekday habit is to just log in and knock out a single game while having a cup of coffee.

Maybe it depends on what time of day you connect and what group of dudes is typically in your matchmaking pool. (Or maybe I just play super-aggressive? Seems to be working out OK though.)

Despite complaining about it I'm still playing this thing. Add me on steam and maybe we can get in a few games? steamcommunity.com/id/wezlar !

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't really know how videogames are written but I don't really understand why adding more writers is a goal? Like if I was crowdfunding a novel I wouldn't want chapters written by someone completely different.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

This game is a sequel to what many believe to be the best written game ever made, more or less, so writers are important in this instance in particular.

What I mean is.. why MORE writers. Are having more different people writing this game going to make it have a more coherent voice/narrative or are they just going to muddle it up? What are these people bringing to the table?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

In hopefully-other-news, Shovel Knight just ripped right past 200K with 3 days left. Four player battle mode is in! :toot: Gender swap mode is in! :unsmith:

I hope Gender Swap mode is exactly the same but at the end of your game you take off your helmet and have longer hair.
This is not a feminist boobplate thing, I just think it would be hilarious if that was the result of a stretch goal.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think the biggest problem with all these metroidvania games I see on kickstarter is that all of them seem to have a... cutesy pixel art style I guess? None of them seem to have the atmosphere that helped Super Metroid and Castlevania so great.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Shadowrun Returns comes out in the next couple weeks and I'm pretty excited for it. It's sort of funny to me though. If you kickstarted it you paid 15 bucks at least for the game. Now a year later I can preorder for 18 dollars, after seeing in depth gameplay, and knowing it has full Steam Workshop support.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm not backing Massive Chalice because while I think the idea is sweet, "Hey guys we want to make Crusader Kings vs Final Fantasy Tactics give us money!!!" is a terrible pitch.

And if you're not going to show me anything, and you have no track record for games like this, at least tell me why I should give you my money now instead of a year or two down the line when I'll have an idea what I'll actually be getting.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The best part of the interview is that he doesn't even actually commit to gay marriage being in the game.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Did Our Darker Purpose hit in here yet?

Looks a bit like Binding of Isaac. Maybe too much like, can't decide. Regardless, looks competent / nifty.

I kinda want to pledge this but 15 dollars just to get the game, or 30 to get beta access and kickstarter goodies seems a little high when Binding of Isaac is 5 bucks and its expansion is 3.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If these delays and budget issues are the norm in the industry and you don't inform the people who you're asking for about the risks but instead give them unrealistic promises how is that anything but deceitful?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I like to see a basic breakdown of what the money is going to just to get an idea of how well they've budgeted their project. Honestly I'd rather see part f the budget for living expenses.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

If Double Fine provided a budget for "Broken Age" during their Kickstarter, would the backers now ask for a detailed accounting of how the money was spent and what the planned budget was to release the game now? At some point the only difference between using a publisher and Kickstarter is that the publisher tries to figure out if they will make money off the game, and KS has a ton of backers posting on reddit.

I mean, I guess so? I personally like to have an idea of what and who I'm actually giving my money to. If they don't have a ton of experience (or if they have a lot of experience that demonstrates I might straight up lose my money) then I want to know they have a solid plan before I give them my cash. And if they do have a plan/budget, which I think pretty much anyone can agree that you should before launching a kickstarter, it's very easy to outline it.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Man what the gently caress is an RPG?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Am I the only person who has no desire to build poo poo in my vidja games?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I have played it yet myself, but a lot of my friends have been going on about how good Path of Exile is.

Path is pretty amazing. It's got a really deep skill/spell system, and lots of sweet endgame stuff with maps. Plus different leagues, races etc. It really feels like a more proper sequel to Diablo 2.

Plus the art direction is (mostly) awesome. Going from wearing rags and poo poo to badass armor is sweet, and the world has a pretty great grimdark feel to it. Except when you're slaying hordes of monkeys, I don't know who thought that was a good idea?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think the reason they've gotten so much criticism is that they spent a lot of time on the game, and then released the f2p tactics game that's huge a huge pay for power grindfest, and was really bare bones upon release (I don't know what state it's in now, I havent played since the first few weeks).

Which was probably a good financial decision, but for people who were waiting for the game for a long time it was really frustrating.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

ChaoticKitten posted:

There is a CCG/deck building kickstarter ending in a few days,I've played the beta, and it's good enough that I not only backed it, but dug up my SA account to share it here ^_^
It's called War of Omens:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1564141972/war-of-omens-a-digital-deck-builder-ccg-hybrid

How exactly does their f2p/microtransaction model work?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

So, Darkest Dungeon announced that you will in fact have to pay 49 dollars to get the backer exclusive class. I'm going to remove my pledge and buy the game when it comes out if it's good. Game looks fun but stuff like that is complete crap in my opinion.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

odiv posted:

I'm not a fan that they put that exclusive class in their rewards either, but what else would a backer exclusive tier mean if not exclusive to that tier?

I kind of figured it would be, but calling it backer exclusive and not exclusive to that tier or whatever kind of threw me off. Also I hoped with the uproar it would change. Kickstarter exclusive game content isn't something I like in general, but having to pay more than 3 times the price of the game to get an exclusive class is pretty insane to me. Plus the game is already funded and will clearly be made so I can wait and pick it up when it comes out if it's good and receive exactly the same product, possibly for a dollar or two more, or get it on Steam sale.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Despite having some issues with the f2p game that preceded it I finally got around to playing The Banner Saga and the game is amazing. I really enjoy the battle system and art is amazing. The only real annoyance so far is losing characters in text events but it seems like they're replacable enough that it's not a real issue.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

Insomnia the Hey-It's-Fallout-But-RTwP-and-Coop just posted a playable tech demo. It's decent, for a tech demo. The art and sound direction are really cool and the mechanics seem like they could be fun. I really hope this game makes it.

"The atmosphere is chilling. Cold rusty metal and memories of gun battles and blood.. THROW IN SOME TIME TRAVEL"

Other than that the game looks cool, I hope it makes it.

edit: Damnit I'm a sucker for isometric RPGs! I backed it for one of the earlybird slots.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Peas and Rice posted:

Goddamn it, this is making me strongly reconsider my "no more backing video game kickstarters" rule. :clint:

If this game was more Sergio Leone and less "Horror creeps in" I'd back it... But I dunno.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't know what Parallax maps are but the poo poo in the foreground looked like rear end.

Otherwise I think the art in that game is pretty good and I might try it when it comes out. I'm a sucker for a good jrpg.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Humerus posted:

I put down $30 for this because the PC is starved for good Metroidvanias, though I hope the animations improve-they all look really stiff right now. Definitely looks like it'll be a good game though.

Yeah it looks interesting but the animation, and the art in general really rub me the wrong way.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Original_Z posted:

A couple of successful kickstarters have gotten sequels recently.

Boss Fight Books, Season 2:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gabedurham/boss-fight-books-season-2

How many goons can we get to vote for Bad Rats as the 6th book?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Mimetic posted:

I've grown wary of games that make their pitch by invoking the names of other games, but oh man, I'm a sucker for anything described as "like Final Fantasy Tactics". I'll have to keep an eye on it.

While I loved the job system in FFT the main thing that really drew me into the game was the setting/storyline and pretty much no other game of that style (even the sequels) have been able to recreate the way it feels.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Pavlov posted:

Oh god why does everyone look like they have down's syndrome.

Anime

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I hope Americana dawn gets released but I can't bring myself to throw money at a project that has already had a successful Kickstarter and isn't even projected to be released for 2 more years. Especially considering how often Kickstarter games get pushed back...

Also I think race relations in early America is a pretty... ambitious topic to be tackling in a JRPG and I can't imagine it being handled particularly gracefully

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I do feel like in general the games that go in with a demo and are already well underway do end up being the better Kickstarter games so I think he has a point there