Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
It's the hilariously awful Class of Heroes 2 kickstarter. I don't see any posts on kickstarter itself, but someone in the comments links a NeoGAF thread where Vic Ireland is posting. I don't know what's harder to believe, that Vic Ireland is trying to make a comeback, or that he's managing to gently caress things up yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

nftyw posted:

$500k to localize a Japanese dungeon crawler? Jesus.

It's because he's pissing most of it away on the printing costs for a lavish deluxe edition full of a bunch of pointless junk, and he refuses to decouple the deluxe version from the actual in-game enhancements that the average person might actually care about. The reason he won't do a digital only tier is because he'll lose money on the deluxe pack if he has to do a small print run, and he doesn't want to risk the kickstarter succeeding if there's only demand for 2,000 deluxe copies.

That's right; he won't do a digital-only tier because he's afraid too many people will buy it and make his kickstarter succeed.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

mutata posted:

If any of you are bummed by the Kickstarter hate in the other thread, you should go watch episode 1 of the Double Fine Adventure documentary and watch Kickstarter change a bunch of people's loving lives.

Thanks for pointing that out. That was a really good video and it gave me exactly the warm fuzzies I was paying for in the first place. I think I'm actually now more excited for the rest of the documentary than I am for the game itself.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
It looks like the Tortured Hearts kickstarter has been adding more game info and put up a new pitch video. It's like a pitch video done by your own mother, and I can't help but feel sad at how few backers there are. The game honestly doesn't look bad, they've explained far more about it than any of the more popular kickstarters, they've given a very solid idea of what exactly the money is for, and everything about the project is just so drat earnest that I really want it to succeed. :smith:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Megazver posted:

Yeah, they've gotten just enough things right to make me feel bad about what they're doing wrong.

At this point, what is it they're doing wrong, do you think? It looks like they've fixed the complaints people had, and I'm just kind of hoping it isn't too little too late. I'm not saying it has no problems, but maybe it's more that I can't quite put my finger on what they might be.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know why I've spent so much time thinking about this old lady's kickstarter. It just makes me feel so sad for her.

This is where I'm sitting at, yeah. I just feel so sad whenever I look at it. :(

I guess what it comes down to is that I understand where they're coming from and why their couple of shortfalls exist - they're a successful mod team trying to make a stand-alone game, so in that context, the lack of mechanical specifics and the similarity to D&D make sense. I don't think that means the game will be horrible, though I wouldn't expect it to be amazing, either. In some ways, I think that's a good thing, because expectations for some other kickstarters are so high that they can't possibly be anything but a letdown. Even if you think of the final game as likely to be average and somewhat flawed, both the individual amount they're asking ($10) and the final goal ($300k) seem pretty reasonable and realistic respectively. When I put all of that down, though, it's obvious not everyone is going to give it that much consideration or even reach the same conclusion if they do.

So drat sad, though. If anyone hasn't watched the video yet, you really should take a look for your daily dose of :smith:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I finally pledged to the Tortured Hearts kickstarter because I wanted to show that I am interested even though I know it's not going to reach its goal, and a couple hours later the lady managing the kickstarter sent me a personal thank you. :smith:

I ... I just have something in my eye. :cry:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I'm kind of at a loss for words after reading this interview with Vic Ireland.

quote:

RPGFan: XSEED Games recently began localizing Falcom's titles for PC, and Steam has been a great platform for indie games. Is this a platform under consideration?

Victor Ireland: Everything's a possibility, but our focus is initially console, portable and otherwise. There really hasn't been a great track record for these type games on Steam to date, but if that builds, we're open to all options. However, just wanting to do a Steam release doesn't mean you're guaranteed to do it. Steam has a rigorous approval process.

How can somebody in charge of a company have this little business sense? He really needs to hire people to talk and think for him, because he's not very good at either.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I very much probably am, but didn't a fairly obscure localized game end up outselling Skyrim for a couple hours?

I think Carpe Fulgur's last two releases both hit #1 at least once, if not again during various sales. They've been incredibly successful, to the point where Recettear allowed both Carpe Fulgur and EasyGameStation (the Japanese developer) to focus exclusively on development of future titles instead of having to worry about day jobs and barely scraping by.

To quote Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games, developer of Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World):

quote:

If he's talking JRPGs, there's Carpe Fulgur, our games, and Ys. If he's talking dungeon crawls, Grimrock is in the top 3 sellers RIGHT NOW. And if he's talking RPGs in general, there are so many successful Steam releases (both indie & AAA) you can't even count them all. Based on our own sales, it definitely appears like a lot of those fans of classic JRPGs prefer to play on the PC these days.

Seriously, Vic's response to that question is extremely revealing about how ignorant he really is. I feel really bad for the Japanese developer that agreed to work with him, because just about anyone else could have easily pulled off what he's already managed to catastrophically gently caress up.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Still, when people are pledging $15 specifically for international shipping it's kind of silly to add that all up and then say "look how much we have to spend for shipping."

If they want to inform people about what happened to the money shown on the final Kickstarter total, it makes sense for them to disclose the amount that went towards shipping. Ideally, the extra pledged for international shipping wouldn't be included in that total since it was never intended to go towards the game in the first place, but you can't fault them for taking it back out again and explaining where it's going.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
They've said they're going to make an actual demo using their own money and then try kickstarter again at a later date. I really hope it works out for them. :smith:

Edit: "Tortured Hearts" is turning out to be a sadly appropriate title.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Rebel Blob posted:

The developers of Legends of Eisenwald have won me over.

That game is pretty much guaranteed to be janky as all hell. I want it.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

e: they're giving metal pins, hand made leather pouches and cosplay swords as rewards for contributing? These guys did not get the "don't blow your whole wad on top end prizes" memo.

Those rewards are very limited and very expensive. I doubt it will be an issue.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Looks like RPS is crediting this forum with uncovering the Mythic scam. Good work, goons! :toot:

edit: whoops, the RPS link actually goes to the Banner Saga thread.

seorin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 1, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
This Storybricks kickstarter looks like it could be interesting. The concept seems kind of weird, but I think that makes it a better candidate for kickstarter than a lot of the more traditional games. I was interested just from Chris Avellone's endorsement, but looking closer, it seems like he's actually advising the team directly, which sounds pretty loving cool. They also have the guy who made Eversion working on it, which makes me want to donate even more.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
They go into that question a bit in a blog post linked from their FAQ (which you can find here), but it sounds like Neverwinter Nights, only with a greater focus on the toolset and a lesser focus on the default campaign (literally, "The Kingdom of Default", which they only have so people can start tweaking the world and making stories right away instead of starting from scratch). The idea is that you'll create whatever you want - either just a small quest in the Kingdom of Default, a longer campaign with dynamic events based on radiant AI style NPC motivations, or an entire world in a completely different genre. If they pull it off successfully, the only thing stopping you from creating a multiplayer version of Morrowind will be Bethesda's lawyers.

This is getting more and more speculative as I go on, but it also looks like the Kingdom of Default will be hosted on their own central, MMO-like server. I could be misinterpreting that, though, and it might be more like a community site where you can find stories and servers that other people are running. A server, whether hosted by them or by you, could be a dynamic, MMO-like world with tons of people playing dozens of stories at once, or it could be a personal adventure crafted for your friends, where you act like their game master and continually tweak the world in response to their actions.

The main thing to take away is they want to make a toolset, not a game. Any included game is just so people can figure out the toolset easier and get started faster. Beyond that, they want people to have the freedom to make any kind of RPG story they want, whether it's open world and dynamic with lots of people, or a more tightly wound narrative for a small number of friends.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

LumberingTroll posted:

They have an interesting pledge tier that we as a community could take advantage of, if we get 50 people, which pitch in $50 each, we can all get alpha access and lifetime subscriptions... I am very interested in this, and would be willing to organize it if there is interest.

I've set up a google dock to start organizing. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdHhhNWxFVGd1VHpmWW9LcllObFhTb3c

if we get enough participants we will make the pledge, otherwise, no one has to send cash.

That is an awesome idea and I'm down. I don't really have the time to make a thread for it and evangelize in proper Quarex fashion, but I think that's a really good idea, too. We can probably pull in some traditional games goons as well.

Between the uniqueness of the Storybricks idea itself and the endorsements from people who actually know these guys, I think this is worth the risks (and the cash). It's truly contributing to a completely new idea, and I'm sure they'll turn out something interesting, even if it's not perfect. That's usually how new ideas go anyway - someone makes something interesting, but flawed, and then other people build on it. It's admirable that these guys are aiming for exactly that, hoping other people will build on their idea to make even better things.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
There's never a guarantee with Kickstarter, but I'd rather give my money to people who have thought about the budget and are confident they can get a game out. I refuse to give money to anyone who is just using Kickstarter as some kind of "get paid for marketing exposure" scheme and crossing their fingers that someone is willing to give them the big bucks after their name gets out.

The basic idea of Kickstarter is that somebody either gets enough to make their product or they get nothing at all, and while there's obviously no way to enforce that, I see no reason why we should support people who flagrantly violate it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Rebel Blob posted:

Man, it hasn't been all that long and new Kickstarter projects seem to be getting zero coverage.

Yeah, Storybricks looks like it's going to fail because of that. :(

I think the problem is that, while a $100,000+ video game kickstarter was rare and newsworthy two months ago, it's become very commonplace now and it's not really noteworthy enough to make headlines. It's a shame that the free exposure and fan funding is starting to die down, but I'm still really glad for the projects that were able to take advantage of it while it lasted (particularly Banner Saga, which might not have been funded at all if they'd waited).

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Chef Boyardee posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but an old friend of mine is running a kickstarter for his RPG Alcarys Complex.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modestarcade/alcarys-complex

He's been working on this game for years (like, at least half a decade, as long I've known him) and he's really pouring himself into it. He's also a veteran, which is probably why the project has taken so long. But yeah, this is definitely a quality game and he's been working super hard on it for a long time so at least check it out.

Thanks for posting this. It actually looks better than I thought it would, and I ended up donating. I admit that part of the reason is I'm fascinated by these projects that are so indie they probably can't even get on Steam, since I might have a project like that soon, too. The writing also didn't seem abjectly terrible, which is a step up from the vast majority. He didn't show anywhere near enough for me to say anything more positive than that, but what the hell, I've been eating in lately anyway.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
With how much kickstarter is increasing in popularity in general (not just in the video game category), I think they would really benefit from a slight change to the way kickstarters are created. Rather than just letting the creator set various tiers and put whatever they want on there, I think they should allow creators to set an estimated reward cost for each tier. Like everything else on kickstarter, it wouldn't enforce anything, but it would encourage creators to think about that sort of thing beforehand and to budget for it.

If the donation amount then had the reward cost subtracted from it before it was added to the total, we could avoid the perpetual question of whether a kickstarter will actually have enough money leftover after they pay out for rewards. It's still possible for the creator to gently caress it up or outright lie or whatever, but I think it would be an improvement to the system explicitly for people who are trying to do things the right way and not scam anyone. If the estimated reward costs were public, it would make it harder to perpetrate a scam by forcing scammers to do some research first. That would also help identify people who might not be scammers, but clearly have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I actually sort of know these guys so I feel like I should pass this on: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

I'm still really not a fan of "help us pitch to an investor" kickstarters, but if you're going to do one, I think this is about the best method I've seen for it. They're extremely straightforward about what you're funding to the point of including it in the title, and they're not promising anything they can't deliver (even though it makes their rewards pretty lackluster at lower tiers).

It's kind of weird, though, how much more funding it's getting than Storybricks. I really like Storybricks. :(

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

octoroon posted:

I get what they're doing, and given the creators' reputations I'm sure this is legit. But a pitch video with zero content for an MMO-scale project promising lofty, vague, buzzwordy goals FEELS wrong. People with as much industry experience and credibility as these people claim to have should honestly know better. This is, at best, a very dubious use of KickStarter.

e: Or maybe I'm just being sour grapes. It just feels a little bit intentionally misleading, and that bothers me.

I pretty much agree with this. However, I think Republique and Takedown are/were even worse. They're a lot less direct about saying what you're actually funding (so I'm sure some people think they're getting a game), and they're promising things that they might not be able to deliver. If either one doesn't get a publisher, or the only publisher they get makes them change the game around, you're going to see a lot of disappointed backers. The downside of the Pathfinder kickstarter not promising things they can't deliver is ... well, they're not really promising anything. I still find that preferable.

That said, I'm not backing them. They're cool guys and everything, but I don't think this is how kickstarter should be used.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Harlock posted:

If you missed out on the Kickstarter, they'll accepting $15 over Paypal for a copy of the game and access to the documentary/forums/whatever.

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/

I came here to post this. The documentary is shaping up to be really, really good and I honestly regret not donating $100 so I could get the DVD. I scoffed at it thinking I wouldn't give a poo poo, but at this point I am more interested in it than the actual game. I hope they sell DVDs after. :(

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Smol posted:

$100 for a DVD? They still make DVDs? :aaa:

It was just one of the rewards, like a T-shirt, and I think it was DVD or Blu-Ray. Yeah, $100 for a DVD sounds silly, but no sillier than $100 for a T-shirt.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Jack Fool posted:

alpha protocol

Do you have any idea the magnitude of the derail you just started?

Edit: vv Thank you. Aside from "that was the publisher's fault" that should hopefully head it off at the pass.

seorin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 14, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Grim Dawn just released another update with some changes to the rewards. They've summed up the reward tiers in a handy chart you can see here.

I hate to say it, but after seeing that chart, I actually downgraded my pledge. I originally went with the $150 version for early access for my wife and I, without much caring about physical goods. If I can save over $50 and still get exactly what I want, I'm going to. My only hope is that most of the difference would have gone into all the physical goodies they were going to mail me anyway, so they're not actually losing (much) money from my downgrade.

It's tempting to say that offering such an attractive reward at a lower price was a mistake, but I actually think it should have been that way from the beginning. People who want physical goods are willing to pay a lot for them, and people who just want digital goodies can be easily enticed with extra digital goodies, co-op bundles and the like. I've been tempted to downgrade my Grim Dawn pledge for a long time because I really didn't want to spend that much, and I'm much happier with where it is now. I think a lot more people will upgrade to that $98 pack than will downgrade from the $150, so it should still be a net positive.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Interesting. The Alcarys Complex kickstarter linked earlier just posted an update promising a digital copy of the game for everyone who donates $10 or more, even if the kickstarter fails. It's going to be interesting to see how that turns out.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Italax posted:

Is it even possible to verify who actually donated if the project fails?

They can tell who their backers are and at what levels, and they can message people through kickstarter. The creator of the Tortured Hearts kickstarter a little while ago would message every backer individually, thanking them for pledging, upping their pledge, etc. It's certainly possible to do what they're claiming, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to pull off.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

SupSuper posted:

What do you do when you're unemployed? Why, make a Kickstarter for an RPG about unemployment, of course!

Haha, the thousand mile stare in this screenshot is pretty great:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Grim Dawn really did stretch goals right, I think (assuming they can deliver, anyway). There are tons of them, and each one is very close together. Many are just filler rewards that are easy to implement, like additional item art, but it helps backers see part of what all the extra money is going to, and makes further goals seem a bit closer together. That kickstarter has been really well done since the beginning and I'm happy to be supporting it. Now I just hope they keep the servers up on launch day!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
While we're at it, let's complain about all those games that come on CDs. The CD format is DRM because it prevents you from installing the game on unintended devices, like netbooks without a CD drive.

This semantics argument has gone way too far. Are we really going to argue about this for over a page because some idiot raged out over Steam in a kickstarter comment?

Edit: well, at least that's over.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Grim Dawn just finished at $537k, reaching one last stretch goal beyond their prior final stretch goal: a new faction and story-line. It may not have pulled in as much as the big name kickstarters were a short while ago, but I still think it's an excellent example of how to run a successful kickstarter now that the excitement is dying down. You could do worse than trying to follow in their footsteps (or Banner Saga's, for that matter).

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Deakul posted:

loving Conquest 2!

For a minute there, I thought we were headed for another censorship derail.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Juc66 posted:

I saw that earlier, my fist thought was "cool" my second was "whats the actual goal?"

It's like a kick starter for videos on how potato chips are bad for you.
Aren't these tropes pretty obvious?

You should actually watch the video. She explains how her past videos have made a difference by educating people, helping to broach the topic, and even being used in classrooms.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
From the top of that RPS article:

quote:

And you can also note that almost all of them aren’t pledging to Kick It Forward, which completely sucks, so you should get in touch with them all and yell at them.
This is exactly why Kickstarter asked people to start removing the badges. It sucks and needs to stop.

Glad they finally mentioned Kinetic Void, though.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
The obvious EA interest in kickstarter has me wondering about a potential future use of the service. Aside from factors that one can't really control for, like the nostalgia of a property or the idolization of its creator, general trends show that the most successful gaming kickstarters are the ones that already have a mostly finished product. It's also obviously not a downside for a game if it's going to get made regardless of the kickstarter's success or failure - it might even be a slight boon. Finally, the success of Republique and Takedown prove that anti-publisher sentiment is not the sole driving force behind this surge in kickstarter support, and games can succeed even if they plan to be attached to a more traditional publishing model in some way or another.

Considering all that, I feel like it's pretty likely for publishers to start refusing to increase funding for their developers when things take longer than expected and instead demand the developers do a kickstarter to get the money. It's less risk for the publisher and it even acts as a marketing stunt because the game gets additional exposure. If I want to be really cynical, I'd even suggest we'll eventually see kickstarters for games that don't need the money at all, just because it's such good advertising. It's not often you can get paid to advertise your product instead of being the one to pay for it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Quarex posted:

The space game thing confuses me; Drifter and Kinetic Void are both the good CRPG-lover-friendly kind of space game where you can do interesting things, and the other ones were more "shooting ships in infinite detail! Wooo!" kind of space games that have never done anything for me. I consider those to be very different types of games, even if superficially they are all "space games."

I think the problem is that these genres are so old, many of the people posting have no idea that the genres didn't used to be considered the same.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
The only thing that concerns me about Dead State is that they're really not asking for much money. Hopefully that's just because the game is so far along already. I want this game so bad. :ohdear:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Personally, I'd rather see a rule that says anyone who is just blatantly begging for money will be banned and have their thread gassed. I like it when devs post threads about their own games, and I also like the threads maintained by eager fans. Maybe someone should make a thread in QCS about this?

Also, I upped my donation to the Tropes vs Women kickstarter. Even if you don't think the videos will do anything, it's extremely important for the message to be out there. Opinions become more extreme when they are allowed to exist unchallenged, so even if it seems like the misogynist trolls aren't going to change (and they won't), simply having their opinions challenged will help prevent them from getting even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

NmareBfly posted:

Well, mouthbreathing 12 year olds continue to be upset about the Tropes v. Women kickstarter.

:hurr:

More on her site that I won't paste here because I'm not sure if this is a great place to discuss this. Still, four days left to get her up to 1,000% of her goal if you want to help prove a point? Even though she may have no idea what to do with the money by now, all the stretch goals have been completely crushed.

This ranks pretty high up on the list of things that make me embarrassed to be a gamer. It's like shining a light behind your fridge to discover a bunch of cockroaches, only instead of scattering they start lunging at you and crawling up your pants leg. I can't up my donation more than I already have, and I'm not sure how much good it would do anyway, but drat if I don't want to donate more anyway just because of this bullshit. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that, either. These trolls are apparently completely unfamiliar with the Streisand effect.