Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Edison Carter posted:

Okay, I'm pretty critical of the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter too, but this is just a bit knee-jerk. He's not extorting money threatening a lovely translation. He's said several times it's just going to be a more literal localization, with no planned "upgrades" to the game, no english VA, no Japanese VA, etc. He's not going to half rear end the translation, he's just not going to go that extra mile to 'murican up the game like he wants to (and like he's essentially wanting to do to Idolmaster). The Kickstarter has plenty to be cynical about already without having to go all apeshit about it.

I just like how he never mentioned any of this because he assumed it was a "sure-thing", that people would have no problem plunking down half a mil's worth of money for an extremely niche game on a dead system. The guy's delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Rinkles posted:

They're not going to lose a single visitor over this. They remain one of the better sites covering games. I just think they had a lapse of judgement in this particular case.

Yeah, RPS has hyped some really questionable games before and seem to keep their credibility. I remember one of the guys was really into the new XCOM game and kept posting about it once it was announced, and this was the first build of it which everyone else who saw it seems to agree that it was pretty drat terrible.

Still, most of the time they seem to be pretty good, I guess if they constantly wrote about these questionable projects they might lose readers.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SupSuper posted:

So apparently some guys got the license of Bad Dudes to make a sequel, though the fact they got nothing to show besides some lovely concept art (though they've cleared up they got a proper artist now) isn't very encouraging.

Heh, you guys remember when Bad Dudes was so great to make fun of because of the stupid story? Hurr hurr, are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

I can't help but feel that they're trying to take this outdated joke too far.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
You know what they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectbc/vacant-sky-awakening-a-pre-apocalyptic-rpg

Any of you guys checked this out? The artwork is pretty bad but for some reason the ideas kind of appeal to me. Haven't backed it yet but I keep looking at it for some reason.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Trapezium Dave posted:

The pitch seems to be "If you're a fan of our previous work, we're doing something new" which is a fine approach to a kickstarter. The entry ten buck pledge is for the first episode of a whopping eight though, which is disconcerting if you aren't already into their games.

Yeah, I noticed that it's related to another game they made. $45 gives you the entire series, although if they're making an iPhone version I'm sure it'll end up being less than that when it launches.

Either way, I decided to download their other game and the installer is full of trojans which hijacked my browser and wanted to put in a bunch of adware BS on my computer. Looking online on how to fix it just gave me a bunch of shady websites which barely gave any help and wanted you to download some poo poo to fix things, which makes me wonder if it's all just a big scam. Took me awhile to finally get all of that crap off, needless to say it kind of killed any goodwill I had toward the project.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

CommissarMega posted:

What other game is this, if I may ask?

Their other Vacant Sky game or whatever, it's available on their main website. Sure hope the pennies they get by selling out their installer to spyware is worth it!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SatelliteCore posted:

I would normally be super excited about this but gently caress the direction they are taking the game in. I really hope this doesn't turn other studios away from trying to re-capture what was so great about the series. I don't care that the original creator is on the team; it looks like they lost sight. Guns? That level of violence really doesn't belong in this series. What also bothers me is that in the video they are pandering to 'hardcore gamers' and trying to turn it into something the series never was. The statements "With the resources we currently have from our private investors we can't really make the Road Redemption game we really want" and "Publishers will never let us make a game like this." are insulting to my intelligence. I feel like they are just reading this crap off of the 'gently caress the industry, help us' indie script. :jerkbag:

They're bringing back Skill Based gameplay! How could you not be frothing?

It's almost like a parody these days, just write some rant talking about the evil publishers watering down games for the casual audience. Somehow, this just happens to be the exact game you want to play, something something classic-style gameplay updated for a new generation but with no compromises! Fight those clueless suits!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers

British guy wants to go and create a book detailing the history of Japanese gaming developers. He's written a lot of good stuff in the past and it seems like he's really taking this seriously with his contacts and insistence in hiring professional interpreters, so I think he'd do a good job. First time I've pledged to something in pounds.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone being kind of put-off by the stretch goals for Boss Fight Books? They announced that the creator of the ZZT book, Anna Anthropy, would make a new game in ZZT if the stretch goal was reached. It was and then they announced that the ZZT game would only be made if someone pledged to a new $1000 goal, because she deserved to be paid for it. Fair enough, but why was that even a bloody stretch goal then? The new goal they just passed is the opportunity to buy original artwork for $500, limited to 10 backers.

I know there's only so much you can do with a book, but these stretch goals have nothing to do with the actual funding, you have to buy them anyway, they might as well have just put them up as tiers to begin with.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Wendell posted:

How is that not the payment? That's what stretch goals are, "If you give us this much money we will be able to afford adding this feature." So they are able to afford to pay this fool to make a ZZT game because they met the goal, right?!

Yeah, that's how it seems.

On the original page for stretch goals:

"$20,000 - New Tier: ZZT Game UNLOCKED - After she writes her book, Anna Anthropy is going to make a brand new game in ZZT. One backer will get to decide what the game is about, where it takes place, and who the main character is! Once the game is complete, Anna and Boss Fight will release the new game, crediting you as co-creator."

Once it was surpassed, we got this update:

"I'm excited to report that we've hit our $20,000 stretch goal and unlocked a new tier:

NEW ZZT GAME TIER *** After she writes her book, Anna Anthropy will make a brand new game in ZZT. You will get to decide what the game is about, where it takes place, and who the main character is. Once the game is complete, Anna and Boss Fight will release the new game, crediting you as co-creator.

This tier's a little pricier, and here's why: Anna's a professional and if she's going to make a new game, she deserves to get paid for it. I'd love for someone to take us up on this. It would mean that Boss Fight would have a role in putting a new game into the world."

Someone did buy the tier, but if no one did then I guess the stretch goal would have been for nothing? Makes no sense why this stuff has to be a stretch goal if we still have to pay for it. Good think we managed to unlock the "game art tier" so 10 people can pay $500 to get original artwork!

This stretch goal is also really important to reach:

"$50,000 - Book #6 Author Revealed - The author of our fan-selected Book #6 revealed!"

Oh boy, let me get my wallet out!

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 21, 2013

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The finalists for the fan-voted Boss Fight Book #6 have been revealed, they chose the most popular user-requests:

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Final Fantasy VI (Originally FF 3 in the U.S.)

3. Metroid (NES) / Super Metroid (SNES)

4. The Legend of Zelda (NES) / A Link to the Past (SNES)

Eh, to be honest none of them are really that appealing to me, although I'm not surprised there were so many votes for them. I'd rather they focus more on forgotten or obscure games like ZZT instead of some mega-popular JRPG that everyone's played and researched to death already.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I liked it when McGee's company tried to post here shilling for Akaneiro or whatever that game was. Then it came out and was received pretty poorly by most websites.

Really, after Bad Day LA you'd think his name would be poison now. Maybe that's why he ran off to Shanghai.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
What do you guys think of the selection for boss fight books? I think ZZT and Jagged Alliance 2 are good choices, they were important games which were very popular at the time but have kind of been lost to time. I was super-active in the ZZT community at the time and there were some wonderful games made in that engine.

Galaga is hit or miss, it's a legendary game but I kind of feel like the whole retro-trendy thing doesn't really pay attention to the pre-NES era, I'm just wondering about how much one can write about the game.

Earthbound and SMB2 are both super-popular. I feel like the SMB2 story has been done to death already, and Earthbound has a shitload of content due to the fanatic fanbase. I would think they would be the least-interesting books, but who knows.

Book 6 looks to be your typical popular retro game that everyone loved, but it's a fan suggestion so I guess we can't be so surprised.

I guess overall it's a good balance of titles, both well-known and forgotten ones.

In other book news, The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers) got funded! It was definitely in trouble for awhile, but managed to pull through! Boss Fight Books promoted it in an update, and it shot up after that, so I guess that helped a lot.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Just noticed that the $1000 ZZT tier has been rescinded at Boss Fight Books. Hmm...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

BiggerJ posted:

The tier is still there. Are you talking about a pledge to that tier?

Yeah, that's what I meant. It was taken really quickly but now it's available again, wonder what happened with that. I'd imagine even if someone doesn't take it the game should still get made, I'm sure they can use the many thousands they went over the goal to pay Anna to make a ZZT game. It'd better be a drat amazing ZZT game for $1000 anyway, seems kind to defeat the ideas of the game anyway. ZZT became super-popular because there were so many great mods to download for free!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My fighting-game friends seem pissed that the 3DS version that was promised before seems to have no mention, among other things.

What happened to Skullgirls seems more like a miracle, I still don't understand how it got so much money. No way can you bank on that for future fighting game KS.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The writer of Boss Fight Books #6 for Chrono Trigger has been revealed! Some guy called Michael P. Williams (https://twitter.com/wizzy0807). I found it kind of amusing how they were hyping him up as an expert in Japanese culture since he lived 2 years in Fukushima as an English teacher. I don't want to knock the guy or anything, but that's a pretty goddamn low bar to become an expert in Japanese. Apparently they really liked his sample chapter though, so maybe he's a good writer.

You can also preorder the books on the official website now apparently (http://bossfightbooks.wordpress.com/), for exactly the same prices as the Kickstarter campaign! Anyone else starting to feel like KS is starting to turn into a pre-order site? Games like Mighty No. 9 costing $20 when I doubt the official release will be much more than that at all, or even that Shantae game costing as much as your typical PSN/XBLA game to start. Considering that they're using our money for the game to be made only only promises, and how often we've seen projects miss expectations or deadlines, you'd think they'd give us a bit more of a discount to compensate for the risk.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The first person who's description says that it's like Dark Souls, Metroid, Zelda, Final Fantasy Tactics, and some other nostalgic poo poo is gonna rake in millions.

I can see where Blood Alloy is going, and it does get some nerd points for the Vanquish reference, but they need to namedrop more loved games to really get those nerds to open up their wallets!

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 11, 2013

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
With all of these fantasy promises, CoT is starting to remind me of that Your World MMO that came out in the early days of Kickstarter. That one had a slightly more realistic goal too!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Slate Action posted:

A few other people in here backed LIONESS, right? They sent out some of the digital backer rewards today (The 7 little mini-games you get for pre-ordering)

I can't say that I'm surprised how most of these games make little sense.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Has anyone been reading the Earthbound book that got sent out if you backed Boss Fight Books?

I'm really unsure what to think about it, I think there's supposed to be some sort of story about how the game represents the author's childhood, but it's so bloody confusing. It just randomly switches from talking about playing the game, to the history of the game, to the author's childhood, to some random tangent. It's very difficult to follow what's going on.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, I got the refund as well. How bizarre, I thought the whole idea of Kickstarter is to make it so people can do whatever they want with the project, and not be tied down with this sort of BS?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

InShaneee posted:

They have physical items in every pledge tier. I don't see this working out well for them.

Geez. Apparently the 4000 dollar tier also includes airfare and lodging, which is actually a pretty good deal considering that most of these meet the team tiers have you foot your own bill. I don't know how these guys are going to be able to pay for everything, even if you just want the bluray you'll end up with a bunch of extra crap.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, I kind of get the impression that this is more marketing or testing the waters than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the rewards are being produced and sent out at-cost. It's actually a pretty good use of kickstarter, gauge the market and reward those who help make it happen.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
All this disorganization and excuse making is giving me flashbacks to Rainfall...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Someone mentioned Video Games Live 3 having a release date, but I just noticed that they're also having a release party that's open to all backers. That's pretty goddamn awesome, usually these things make you donate to some overpriced tier to have the privilege of meeting the people behind the project or attending some launch party. There's no way that I'll be able to make it, but I got a lot of respect for Tommy. You can tell he really loves what he does and is really happy to make the project.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I like how you didn't even bother to include a link to the kickstarter that you're shilling.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Count Uvula posted:

The link is on the live on kickstarter image.

Ah, I have images off so the link doesn't work nor is there another way to access the page.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot of similar stories as those first run game KS projects start to run out of money and time.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Kind of strange how, despite living together, he complains about a lack of communication and getting work out of his team members.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Fedule posted:

With 5 days and $2.5kCA to go, Dysfunctional Systems is looking enough like a lock that they've released their Stretch Goals. With how this thing's been slowly picking up in the last few days, and especially with the 48 hour rush looming, they might actually make one or two of these! They've stated that £64k represents their ideal state for the series... although after seeing the OP for Episode 1, I sure wouldn't mind seeing them reach $69k.

I suppose that the sale of the first game to $1 probably helped drum up interest, it also makes the $30 pledge pretty pointless, I pledged it but dropped it to $25 after just getting it on sale. Some of those goals are pretty ambitious as well.

After playing the first game, I thought it was all right. The start-up is pretty bad, I almost gave up after they spent like 5 minutes talking about drinking beer and the main character punches her boss for no reason. I feel like it takes way too long for the story to progress, everything is too wordy and the main character over-analyzes everything so simple scenes just drag on and on. I was satisfied with the overall story by the end though, and the team definitely has potential so I'm interested in seeing what they can do with a proper budget.

In the end, it's still an anime visual novel, but not super-anime and embarrassing to play, which automatically makes it a lot better than most of the trite in the genre. I kind of wish that the character wasn't a 14-year old kid, but oh well.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I don't know why they just had to use the Amplitude name, it's more of a curse than a help at this point considering how stuck they are with everything. I definitely would have pledged for a PC version (imagine the potential for making custom songs), and I hope that they take the feedback and remake the kickstarter doing just that.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Yodzilla posted:

Drake claims in that video that Sony owns more than just the name Amplitude and that if they released it elsewhere they'd have to change fundamental Amplitude gameplay systems. That sounds kinda weird I'll admit but maybe there really is something legal going on there. And he is right, an established name does carry some weight. Enough to make up what ports would bring in? Who knows really I guess.

Considering how well many "spiritual successors" do on KS, I don't think many people care about the name, whereas I'm sure a lot of people care that it's a Playstation exclusive. Just make a game that has some similarities but isn't a direct copy of Amplitude, name drop it to make sure that people know that this is the sequel in all but name. Complete misreading of the market by doing the KS as it is.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If they are actually harassing random people loosely involved with the project they are just as bad as him if not worse.

My favorite part is them saying they may bring charges against the backers as well. Good luck with that!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I actually got the DVD for that Japanese developer book, the interviews are pretty goddamn good and full of cool stuff, including prototypes of games that don't exist anywhere else. It's definitely worth the money if you have any interest in that sort of history, I'm sure the book will be amazing as well if the DVD quality is any indication.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On the other hand their kickstarter looks pretty down-to-earth and interesting? :shrug:

You know what they say about the definition of insanity...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I'm always glad to get updates from the projects, it's nice to get a view of all the behind the scenes stuff we normally wouldn't know about. I hate it when projects give you tons of updates during the campaign and then you never hear from them again when it's successful, at that point there's no advantage to being a backer. Most of the exclusive forums for updates are so rarely updated and there's barely any discussion that I never get into the habit of checking it, so I prefer the email updates over that as well, unless it serves a specific purpose like beta testing reports.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I had a friend that did Internet tech support and told me all sorts of stories of people getting pissed off.

"Fix my internet! I'm a business!"

"A business? Well then let me set you up with our corporation subscription plan!" (Which was like 10x the price)"

"Uh, hold on there."

"According to our terms, you're not allowed to run a business using residential plans."

"Uh, well, I don't do business here."

"So you're a businessman?"

"Uh, Yeah"

"So is everyone else, sir. Just wait for us to fix things on our end, we'll get to you eventually."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
It should be mandatory to post a project's "score" from that gamasutra thing when someone introduces a new one to this thread. I'm pretty sure this game would be in the "don't back this you idiots" range.