Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's odd they'd put themselves up as competent managers of this though, having never produced or designed games. And then to basically propose a clone game no less of Minecraft... seems like a waste of a project.

I love the Yogscast's Guild Wars 2 videos, and look forward to seeing them goof off in games I like. I just think with this they're exploiting an audience that don't know how hard it is to make a good game. It will end up being a novelty product with their avatars in it.

They had a huge hand in organizing some of the mega mod packs in Minecraft too, I think they know what their limits are. And remember Minecraft itself was a clone of a game at the start, Infiniminer, that Notch tweaked to his vision. They are essentially doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Spiky Ooze posted:

Well yeah, if by tweak you mean added an entire wiki worth of content and new gameplay stuff to.

I can't fault people for having trust in their icons but I could see this as one of the Kickstarters that will have big issues. I mean the closest analogy I can think of is the Penny Arcade games, which while having the charm of the series are clunky as hell. That "clunky as hell" part I wouldn't want attached to something people are supposed to be able to make content for.

Yes, after a few years I would hope it has an entire wiki worth of new content, but when Minecraft first came out it had less features than Infiniminer.

I mean its not a big deal if you think its a dumb idea, you just don't support the kickstarter then.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

buttopticor posted:

There's Gravitaz, which has Shalinor on the team. SA thread

I looked at this and I think I'm still burnt out on this genre. There were so many of these kinds of games for like PS1, we rented one every other weekend, and almost every single one of them was really lovely. I'm not saying what they are doing won't be fun, but seeing the alpha in an unfinished state immediately reminds me of those games.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

AllanGordon posted:

Yeah it doesnt seem that any of the project locus guys have worked in the industry and I guess one of them is still learning how to program at college.

Their website says there are more than 3 of them, but it doesn't say how many more or anything.
edit: Oh the video says there is ten of them.

Fund our tech demo it's legit we have an artist.

Apparently 2 of the 10 are swordmasters. That will work to integrate combat in the game. One of the reward tiers is to get a lesson from the swordmasters. Really bizarre.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

mutata posted:

Eh, my project would rely on the pathos of showing a realistically rendered concept. The kind of people who are into designer products don't give a poo poo about CAD drawings, they want to see the shiny. Even Apple uses renders for their product shots; it's because that's what generates the emotional response in people that leads them to think "I need that even though it isn't necessary".

Again, I agree that something that is more of a DEVICE like that phone watch or the Ouya should have working prototypes to back it up, but for something that is a THING like a toy or case or drinking glass, it's just a stupid, arbitrary rule.

It just sounds like they don't want people to get confused that you have the ACUTAL PRODUCT in the render. You could put some text like -Computer Sketch of Concept- on the picture or something else that in no way could somebody mistake it as a product that phyiscally exists. I think you would be ok, but also add some pencil sketches in there as well to document 'the whole creative process'

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If I can steal random people's boats and sail aimlessly until I get killed by a water elemental, I'm in.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

Neocolonialism is how you do an indie Kickstarter video. He shows a functional and fun-looking (in spite of iffy art) prototype right off, then dives straight into the meat of what the game is and why he needs the money. My only real negative critique is that he should have turned on another lamp or something, as the video seems a bit dark.

(it's a political game, about buying votes and running the world economy into the ground right before you make off with your swiss bank account)

I really like games that allow you to be a tremendous rear end in a top hat on the world stage and reward you for it, but geo-political economic games always seem like hell to balance and also be fun. My biggest critique is the awful map project he is using, North America and Asia look like they have gigantic boners sticking out in opposite directions.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mukaikubo posted:

I had the complete opposite reaction. After reading that, I'm about to pull my pledge, because it's manifestly clear the game isn't For Me and I am unlikely to enjoy playing it. There are people, like me, who are not Good At Games (tm) just in general, and in fact barely and only with much struggle and less-fun-than-exasperating grinding manage to beat something like Civ 5 on the default difficulty. When I read an update where it seems like 3 or 4 times the developer goes out of his way to assure people that this will be a super-hard game, way harder than Civ 5, I am not sure what I am supposed to think other than 'casuals not welcome'. I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion here or anywhere else, but Kickstarter's model is geared towards the hardcore and as such games funded on it are probably going to cater more to hardcore players than people who don't want to invest 60 hours to get 'kinda okay' to the point where they can actually play the game without getting curbstomped. It kinda is what it is, and why I usually only back games that are 'big' and have huge support like P:E, because I have a reasonable hope that there will be some way for people like me to enjoy them. I was hoping AtG was gonna be one of them, but the developer is pretty bluntly saying I was wrong, and the Kickstarter won't fail for lack of my 25$ I guess. :shobon:

I'm with you, huge stacks of units, a bunch of sliders, resources you have to stockpile to make a purchase, are all things I really dislike in a strategy game because it makes it so fiddly and bogs everything down.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

ClickerMonkey posted:

He is always up to date with information (he gave me the same forewarning about other lawyers). Aside from that I haven't asked him for professional advice yet, I still have a month trial period using practicing lawyers from setting up an LLC.

You gotta chill out man and stop responding to every post that comes up here one by one and concentrate on your stuff. There was a guy just before you in this thread that got heavy criticism for his presentation. He listened to it, and came back with a pretty kick rear end video for his game.

I think the engine you developed looks pretty powerful, maybe easy to use. The issue is that all of your levels are just big boxes with environmental lighting gradients that go from green to blue. It doesn't show off the possibilities of it at all. People make convincing as hell builds within Minecraft, but you have a lot more shapes, colors, and texture possibilities.

I know you already got your kickstarter up, but I'm gonna make a suggestion. Release a mini editor that people can build in your engine with. This made people totally crazy for Spore, and there is another goon here with a game Kinetic Void who released his ship editor alongside his kickstarter and people went nuts with that. And that way you don't have to spend your own time making nice looking things with the engine.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

Supposedly, there's a wave of these devices hitting the market because of the "teach yourself to focus / meditate" angle they have. It's possible we may see evolved devices that have more sense capability, but even a single axis of control is enough for a huge number of mobile games. Basically any one-touch game could be ported, after a fashion.

(my mom's an author targeting the new age demographic, and is trying to get me to make a game for it - "it's a growth market! tons of opportunity!" ... I may yet. Undecided. I might jam out a simple game in 48 hours, since she's got the headset already.)

I assisted some research once with a device like this. It wasn't one of the commercial one, but one for scientific research with a bunch of nodes that you wore like a tight hairnet. It was a really expensive piece of equipment.

There are four types of brainwaves and we tried to subdivide them out to tell the mental mood of the person. The only thing we could get was the same thing as these commercial devices could - total sum activity of the brain. If you want anything more than that, you HAVE to shave your head and apply that contact gel to the skin to get good connections on the nodes. Even that can be touchy - the skull just blocks everything too much. The real serious things all require implantation and that is a custom job where you have to run a battery of tests to see what part of your brain responds to what because everyone is a little different.

I'm not going to say its impossible, but its a long way off still.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kenshin posted:

Welp, all Skyjacker Starship Constructor backers just got this in their email:

:psypop:

Jesus christ.

I swear International Women's Day must be a big joke in some countries. I got an email from a Brazilian supplier at work today 'celebrating' Women's Day. It was:

"Congratulations! Women on showing yourselves to the world...

Women: Delicious, Interesting, Passionate... Moving"

And its like well if you sent that to any of our women engineers I doubt we'll be doing business with you for a long time...

echoMateria posted:

Our 99 Spirits IndieGoGo campaign reached its goal last night.

I would like to personally thank everyone for all the help making it better.

And of course thank all the contributors for helping us get so far.

Thank you!

I can't wait to release this game, so everyone else can take a look and see why we like it. But of course there is still a lot to do and it will take some time. Guess I can at least share this right now, here check out one of the Tsukumogami from the game, we never revealed this one anywhere else before:

Hey, I have a question: Can I get the original Japanese language game along with the localized version?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Saoshyant posted:

Well, this was certainly unexpected:

I have no idea what to think of this one. It's a verified non-profit (American Southern University Inc), it's also running on flexible funding, always a bad mistake for everyone involved, and it gives you things like the source code of up to three games for a "mere" $199.

e: they also got a site called Save Atari with a plan listing what they're trying to achieve.

quote:

This campaign is raising funds on behalf of American Southern University Inc, a verified nonprofit. The campaign does not necessarily reflect the views of the nonprofit or have any formal association with it. All contributions are considered unrestricted gifts and can't be specified for any particular purpose.
This particular project has been authorized by the ASU leadership team and is considered an official initiative of that organization.

This sounds so scammy, christ.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kunzelman posted:

Also made by "The Fun Pimps."

The god drat fun pimps are you kidding me.

They show off the list of games of their "AAA Experience" and its like the most disappointing and also terrible game list.

Look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAC8GDbOx18

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think Yogventures was ever supposed to be a Minecraft clone. It's an adventure creation kit, really. It's not something you can just play in a sandbox mode, as far as I can tell. Basically the Yogscast really loved Minecraft "adventure maps" (scenario maps with stories and objectives created and shared by other players) and recognized that Minecraft was extremely limited in what it actually allowed adventure map makers to do. So they thought they'd make a game dedicated entirely to that. Since their campaign ended, however, Minecraft has gotten substantially more powerful as an adventure creation tool and has given map makers a ton more tools and there has been some really advanced and interesting stuff coming from the community since then. I wonder if Yogventures is necessary at all in light of that.

Sometimes I really wonder if all those adventure creation tools in Minecraft were a reponse to Yogventures funding. Notch has never been friendly with those guys for whatever reason.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Wow, there's a girl I work with that loves Final Fantasy and eats Ruffles every day. Immediate send to her.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm not interested in Yatagarasu in the slightest, but that still pisses me off. In what world does not releasing development funds until development of the game is over make sense? They can't develop it if they don't have the money to pay their employees!

The weird part is doing 50% now and 50% after it is released. Are they trying to act like a publisher or something? Whats the deal here...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You could always get some stickers printed. There are a couple local T-Shirt printers by me that will also do stickers, I got 100 4" diameter round stickers for $60 from them once (4" is pretty big). They were vinyl, shiny, and weather proof.

People around here seem to enjoy putting stickers on their laptops so who knows!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kyrosiris posted:

Horrible human beings being used as figureheads to garner excitement for a project should not be rewarded. Especially not financially.

Especially since every single goon who posts in Creative Convention can draw better than him. Even the photographers.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Jedit posted:

The Wings Kickstarter failed quite hard. Cinemaware do plan to try again, though.

I used to play RedBaron online a lot back in the day, and the community was probably like 250-500 tops so its going to be tough.
Also many of them where old grognards in bad health and no money so we'll see. Still, I'd love another one.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Jane Austen novels are horrid but I really want to see Jane Austen Online get made because the griefing opportunities would be immense.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

ImpAtom posted:

Project Sen is a nice idea but just to echo what people are saying, the art design on the two 'character info" pictures really doesn't hit 'big girl' so much as it does 'fetish art.' The body structure as a whole doesn't really fit together. It's understandable to some degree, a lot of artists are just not taught how to draw larger women, but the initial impression (especially on the internet) is going to come closer to 'this is someone's fetish game' than anything else. The overly small head and the general design of the legs really are what give that impression and the proportions in general seem like they could use some work.

I'll also echo that the sprites themselves look better proportioned and less deviantarty and I (for the most part) like how they look.

I'd say 75% of my life drawing classes were 'larger women' and it seems to be a pretty common thing to experience in classes or sessions, this is just lovely fetish art.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

voltron lion force posted:

$175k for an endless runner, what the hell? It had no chance in the first place.

Dino Run is not an endless runner! You can run back and forth at your heart's content, until the giant wall of molten hell hits anyway. There is a free flash version floating about, its a really fun game.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Tagichatn posted:

Do levels have an end or do you always die to the lava? Either way, it's very similar to an endless runner.

Absolutely the levels have an end. You can beat the game in about 20 minutes if you know what you're doing, but there are a lot of hidden eggs and things to find.

You can move in all the directions no problem, there is nothing forcing your character to run forwards. Its a platformer, not an endless runner.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Drifter posted:

So it's a runner, just not endless. No one is :airquote:forcing:airquote: you to move forward, except, you know, the big gameover that happens if you stay still.

Like how in a racing game you can reverse or turn around on the track, you just won't progress in the game.

Well alright then. I thought endless runners were things where your guy was always running and just had to tap buttons to jump or duck or whatever.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Scraps is really cool. As a kid I read Steven Jackson's Car Wars manual probably a little too much (gently caress trying to actually play though). I hope you make your goal even if its in NZD.

Spindly stuff is harder to hit right?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Nition posted:

Yeah, I didn't actually play Car Wars but I have played the original pen-and-paper BattleTech, which I imagine is similar to Car Wars with mechs.

Car Wars was a grind fest, four hours+ of real time to set up the game and play ~15 seconds of game time. It was a pen and paper game that really needed to be a computer game.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
"This project has ultimately is died. "

Karim, aspiring writer.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Sethmaster posted:

Ummm, shouldn't this be in traditional games kickstarter thread rather than this one?

More like bored games.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It reminds me of Bob of Bob's game when he streamed himself over the weekend repainting the same pixel art template for a whole weekend, while half naked. You don't want to be like Bob.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It'd be cool if they took money from Saudis and the citizens of a score of other nations with human rights abuses as bad.

The people of Iceland cannot fund games by themselves, get real.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That Winterkewl guy got over a half mil and didn't quit his job? Seems like he didn't really have any confidence in it either.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Holy poo poo a $35000 lump sum payment upfront?!

Also no negotiating with any of the artists, just $35k up front for all of them no questions asked... this dude is a loving moron.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

Absolutely everything about that arrangement is bog-standard for game startups. Including the upfront payments with limited means of recouping. That kind of business is often done on a handshake, and it's insulting to be an equal partner in an enterprise but be doled out a monthly stipend (that isn't enough to cover your bills / is well below your salary) by your partner. You just split it equally at the start, and all go in for back-end rev shares, and everyone trusts everyone else to not be a douche / manage their money responsibly to keep afloat.

The reason it fell down, the only real problem, is that "hire a programmer for $100k" bit. If your engineer isn't part of your core team? You have a big loving problem. The engineer is the only one on the team who can actually cost out the game you're proposing to fund, and s/he wasn't even present for the planning - you can't just shove that on at the end and expect it to work. Let alone how difficult it is to hire a good engineer for a project like this, doubly so when you're not an engineer yourself and lack any kind of social network for such.

So that, plus unexpectedly losing a core team member. Who yes, was a bit of a douche for not handing the money back. But it ends at "he was a douche" - the base arrangement, equally splitting amongst your core team at the start, wasn't abnormal.

EDIT: It probably could have stayed afloat, though, if the engineer thing hadn't been tacked on. It would have saved them $60k+ / friend-gineers are WAY less expensive than hiring one externally. Please, if anyone in here is considering a Kickstarter, make that your takeaway from this... DO NOT plan on hiring a lead engineer externally.

EDIT: Oh, and also the obvious "you know, it's Minecraaft, but BETTER! ... in a year!" thing. But a solid engineer could have at least pooped out a Minecraft clone and gotten the game proper rolling, instead of just a ton of art.

Its really that way in software? To me that's crazy. In startups in my field (more hardware) its totally different, everyone hired is not on an equity share except for maybe 2 or 3 people, and the pay is generally less than at an established company for everyone else (bimonthly) with the opportunity for rapid advancement if the company grows and/or some options. Its not that great for the people with a share either, they're generally living off of their savings except for maybe a small bump during later investment rounds.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
They make real pretty gifs but that Confederate Express demo gameplay was really clunky and the opposite of fluid that you'd expect from a 360 degree shooter. I was going to back until I play that steaming pile.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its funny how many ConEx art in the updates also show up in the Knuckleclub game. Nobody is buying his engine which maybe even doesn't exist. All the previews are handcrafted probably.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

If we're calling Winterkewl out for failing to understand the scope of the project, we might as well also call Yogscast out for actively marketing a game that they were refusing to feature/market IN THEIR OWN VIDEOS. Which would have been free, and more effective. That kinda makes me chuckle.

They did use it in a few videos but honestly the game was pretty bad.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

evilmiera posted:

Good thing this one runs out next month, I was completely out of funds until then. Hoping everyone else gives this one a few bucks at least.

What's CAD? A digital currency from the creator of Ctrl Alt Delete?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

It's still a thing because, seemingly, they still have a giant pile of money left-over and no one to give it to. Sending your game out as an OUYA exclusive is a bad idea for obvious reasons, and they're totally unwilling to negotiate other funding deals with the same money (a bunch of us have messaged them about alternative exclusive deals, yada - they're entirely inflexible).

So it's pretty much just a pot to be targeted by scammers at this point. It's kinda annoying to think how many actually-good indie games they could have just, you know, "funded" with that money in exchange for exclusives. That would have even made the timed exclusive bit reasonable, but, nope. They just wanted to hitch their wagon to other already-successful indie projects.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if its the venture capitalist is laundering his money through OUYA or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's still not improving emulation though - it's prettying up the rendering at the end.

Maybe with better rendering more people will be attracted to N64 emulation. Even when it was new it had smeary graphics with that bizarre linear mapped light/darkness across triangle function.

Other than Mario type games you could tell the massive struggle the developer went through to get anything resembling a machine that wasn't cartoonish to look even passable.