Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zaphod42 posted:

People who run a contest and promise a boy they're going to change his life and then forget to so much as call him back definitely deserve a public shaming.

I think it's incredibly nasty that his excuse for not giving him any money was the fine print that 1) the multiplayer needed to be in the game functioning properly (which I'm sure has a huge feature list to check off, otherwise the multiplayer isn't working as :airquote:fully intended:airquote: so it doesn't technically exist) and 2) he has to become 'god of gods' (whatever that might mean, like is there some sort of contractual obligation he might not fulfill? "To truly be god of gods you must enact 1,000 edicts, lightning zap 10,000 citizens, etc. etc. otherwise you failed to be god of gods").

It's such a shifty dirty trick to pull, to me at least.

:dance: : yay! I'm going to get a percentage of the profits!

:agesilaus: : not so fast there young man, the multiplayer element has to be in the game first so you can become god of gods!

:confused: when will that be finished then?

:agesilaus: : never.

I assume the real reason he's not handing out any money is because 22cans is this close to filing for bankruptcy.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Genocyber posted:

The best thing is that despite the writing quality being that of a 12-year old's, it's probably someone in the twenties, late teens at the earliest.

I think this is him.

Yeah it's weird, I feel bad and sad for these initially, because I assume they were written by an idealistic and naive kid. It's sort of cute in a way, but I still feel bad for them and I hope it doesn't crush their dreams of making a game someday.

But then like you say, it's usually someone in their 20's or 30's and I think loving hell this guy has no excuse. :cripes:

edit: going through his tweets he also created something called probidders.co.uk, which unsurprisingly doesn't seem to exist anymore.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

Labyrinth, the Game. Yes, you read that right.

:laffo:

loving muppet. These are the times I wish you could post comments on people's Kickstarters without having to back them.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I doubt John whoever at RPS did it for e-peen or fame or whatever, I assume he was legit pissed off that this lovely game is still being being sold while Molyneux takes nearly his whole team off development for the Next Big Thing. Like that Jimquisition video pointed out, this is a repeating pattern of deception, deceit, and disingenuous apologies, so we can only expect it to continue with this The Trail or whatever it's called.

When he develops a game, he pumps it up, shits it out, cries and says sorry but also in the same breath "the NEXT one will be great!". John whoever said what a lot of other journalists were too scared to do (because I guess Molyneux is royalty or something to gaming press?), and probably said something a lot of fans (like me) would love to have said to Peter ourselves.

For a guy who's been in the industry so long and worked on so many huge titles, I don't see how if his career ended right now we should feel sorry or something, like he was such a promising young game developer. He's 55 years old and been in the industry almost as long as I've been alive. So I'm not sure why we're crying at the idea of his career being over, he's definitely had one hell of a ride and all rides have to end sometime.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 20, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Chas McGill posted:

It's gotta be a pisstake.

He should put up a third kickstarter for a new PC to make a video for his other kickstarters. :v:

Flashback to Doobie and his vent hood.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Or another angle on the god of gods rubbish; he had no idea what the hell the super secret surprise was at the center of THE CUBE OF DESTINY. So at the last minute he had to come up with something, and he shat out this idea about some random person being in charge of his game (which makes no sense but it sounds good and that's the important thing) and the press eat it up. :(

Also I stupidly bought Godus on Steam as early access, which is supposed to be less of a gamble than Kickstarter, so there's no point going on about Kickstarter is like a donation not an investment etc.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

monster on a stick posted:

Tell the people who put together Kickstarters that.

It is when they want the money.

It isn't when they run away with the money.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SquadronROE posted:

Interesting, I somehow stumbled on this kickstarter:

Looks really neat, it's a shame it's multiplayer only though. :(

Single player with some interesting small squad/platoon campaigns would really make me back this.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think they're both right, in that the artists create/tell the stars where to be and in what general quantity, and the procedural generation algorithms take over.

But they seem to have weird bugs like this.

But I completely agree, there's little point in saying "we have over five trillion stars and planets in our game!" when there's little to actually do in this impressively sized universe. I'm still pissed off that I can't transport tourists or passengers yet. :colbert:

edit: makes me think of Spore, everything was procedurally generated, but artists (players or staff at Maxis) still had to create them.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 22, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

DolphinCop posted:

furry commissions are still the most lucrative money to be made as a freelance artist

I'd guess not just furry, but any sort of sick fetish poo poo will net an artist money on a semi-regular basis if they're good at it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Cheez posted:

I think they're going to have to, because those backgrounds don't really match what little I've seen of the character art. It's horrendous, and now it'll be even more so, because the style is mismatched.

Yeah I'm conflicted, the characters are Maniac Mansion, the backgrounds are Curse of Monkey Island. Bit of a mismatch, but who knows, maybe they can pull it off.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

No Gravitas posted:

- ;-* Hi, honey. Can you buy some milk on the way home?

- :unsmith: Yes, of course. I love you! I cannot wait to get home and give you a big loving hug.

- ;-* Great. Also ERROR GET THE gently caress OUT THE HOUSE YOU MOTHERFUCKER I HATE YOU rear end in a top hat gently caress YOU DIE IN A DITCH please get me some more tea from the corner store.

- :smith: Yes, dearest.

Obviously suffering from BPD.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Obsurveyor posted:

What I want to know is why the bird in this image has a tiny man's face with a green beard on its breast.

:eyepop:

Can't be unseen.

edit: maybe it isn't really a bird at all, but some sort of small magical fairy type creature who wears a bird costume?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

DrManiac posted:

What's the name of that Diablo-like post-apocalyptic RPG only with robots?

Exoshock?

quote:

ExoShock is an Action RPG in the vein of games like diablo. It is a twist on the classic fantasy dominated Genera that instead focuses on the rich sci-fi and robotic idea space.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Ok let me try again; World War Machine?

They had an Indiegogo campaign, but it failed.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

To me that seems more like a cost-cutting/time saving measure than any stylistic decision. And if it is a style choice, they definitely appreciate the coincidence that it also saves the artist a lot of time, I'm sure.

Also this whole derail is quite the :can: isn't it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

Well, in more KS adventure news, 7th Guest fan game the 13th Doll is live now. I got nothing more to add since I never played the original, I know people were quite inamored with it back in the day, so some of you might dig that these guys are trying to revive it.

That looks interesting, people might be more tempted to donate if they knew who they had in mind for actors.

They really nailed the retro look of the early 90's CG, very impressive. It'd be so tempting to overdo it and make it better, but they left it as it was. Fun fact; the VHS tape that came with the game as a behind the scenes thing was what inspired me to get in to 3d art in the first place.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That may have something to do with Trilobyte having a pretty checkered history as a developer. I can't imagine giving them money and expecting much out of it other than schadenfreude.

Plus their pitch mentioned "mobile devices" and "touch tablets" a lot, which probably puts a lot of people off right away.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds loving radical, but I'm a little sad it's not Mech Commander 3.

I'm the opposite, Mech Commander was mainly a sort of tactical strategy game, with little to no RPG elements. Battletech is a RPG at its core, the combat is just...well, combat. I'm looking forward to role playing, interesting characters, and an engaging story (things Mech Commander never had, afaik).

The very fact it's Battletech instead of Mechwarrior makes me very happy and hopeful, I'll definitely be backing this one.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Suspicious Dish posted:

i am not a 3d guy and i've modelled a better waterwheel than that

I didn't even realize that's what it was until someone said pointed it out.

The graphic style is really contrasting, the character looks pretty nice and detailed (I see individual fingers!), whereas the environment looks like it lept right out of Mario 64.

Also that second gif of him jumping on the palette swapped warp pipes looks like he's on rollerblades, his animation is way too slow for the speed he's moving around the game world.

edit: also the artist is obviously really good, his art is excellent, which leads me to believe it was a stylistic decision by the two founders. They decided to make their levels look like rear end, I guess in the name of "retro"?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 4, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hav posted:

Stick leg apologist spotted.

I fixed this for the true aficionados of REAL pixel art.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

KozmoNaut posted:

I *clang* have *clang* no *clang* idea *clang* what *clang* you're *clang* talking *clang* about :v:

Me either. Star Wars had totally realistic sword combat. :colbert:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

But of course Tim Schafer is to blame, because Tim Schafer, and furthermore, Tim Schafer!

How about you name a point n click with better production values, music, voice acting than BA in the last 5 years? I'll wait.

And again, the kickstarter promised a point n click adventure, made no ridiculous promises some seem to imply for some reasons which escape me, people got WAY better than what they put their money up for, not to mention the best video game documentary ever made. Which they then put up free or public viewing up on youtube, those loving egotistic scammers.

I get you love to hate the Tim but shouting Broken Age is lovely at the top of your lungs just makes you look delusional to everyone who's actually played the game.

For one the post you're quoting specifically talked about Spacebase, not Broken Age.

Secondly, just because the market for good adventure games isn't what it was in the 90's doesn't mean companies can turn out mediocre poo poo with 3.5 million dollars of donated money. That argument is right up there with "Well, let's see YOU do better!".

Personally I didn't care much for Broken Age: Act One, and was so unimpressed by the time Act Two was released (a year later or so?) I'd not only forgotten about it completely but didn't even bother to finish it. This is coming from a person who's really looking forward to Thimbleweed Park.

edit: also
And looking forward to "Those aren't proper point-and-click adventure games!"

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 18, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Those goalposts moved so fast the field is on fire.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ravenkult posted:

i loving love pixel legs

I HATE THEM AND FURTHERMORE :supaburn:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

...neither of which are point and clicks.

So what was the point of asking/pointing out how few "point and click adventure games" are out there?

Is that an excuse regarding how mediocre Broken Age: Act One and Two were? Because there aren't many others so we should be happy we got anything at all?

Are you suggesting this genre is so stale and old that the developers forgot how to make a good adventure (excuse me, a good "point and click adventure") game? The whole reason it was funded was based on the pedigree, so I think everyone thought they knew what they were doing. Now it may be different, but then we were young and naive and thought Tim and Co. would make something great.

Were you asking because you think Broken Age: Act One and Two was literally the pinnacle of "point and click adventure" gaming, and you're comparing it to other "point and click adventure" games of the last decade? (But only "point and click adventure" games! And the criteria for "point and click adventure" games are very strict, so don't try anything funny). If so I don't see how that matters, just because the genre has declined steeply since the 90's doesn't mean Broken Age: Act One and Two become the best by default.

So what *is* the point of asking how many other "point and click adventure games" are out there?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 18, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Nemo2342 posted:

No one envisioned a situation where a company like Double Fine would just up and dump a half-finished game out of Early Access

Of course that was the biggest issue, as Toxx and others have pointed out so eloquently. That's why they get so much flak, because they were trusted and betrayed that trust. Not only that, but they're still selling the alpha DF-9 on steam, albeit heavily discounted. Broken Age: Act One and Two being pretty boring was just another bite of the poo poo sandwich.

Mr Underhill posted:

Hope that cleared it up for you.

Not exactly, I'm mainly curious why you limited the comparisons to the last five years, instead of all gaming history. Seems like a cop out, because we all know there are a lot of point and click adventure games (when they were in their prime) that wipe the floor with Broken Age: Act One and Two, no question about it. And they probably had less of a budget to work with too, unfortunately I don't have any numbers to back that up so I'm just guessing. (edit: Hell I bet the game you're making is just as good, if not potentially better, than Broken Age: Act One and Two! I doubt you have 3.5 millions dollars in the bank. In fact I'd say it already does look better, just from what little I've seen of it)

But then again, trying to change someone's mind over the internet is pretty boring, so I'll stop now.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 18, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Toxxupation posted:

a game where the player interacts with the environment and/or solves puzzles using items the player finds to form a narrative, heavily story focused

You didn't even mention pointing or clicking. Checkmate. :smug:

In all seriousness though I can see the argument some people are making, the specific 2d adventure game. And that's fine, I like those too, and again I'm really looking forward to Thimbleweed Park.

But just because there aren't poo poo loads of 2d retro adventure games these days doesn't give Double Fine a free pass for making a boring game, and wasting a lot of money. If anything that puts them under even more scrutiny, because classic adventure games are so rare. They had a chance, and gave us a boring, animated paper doll Southpark looking nonsense with plot as thin as the characters.

In fact, reading those steam messages by Mr. Tim, I'm amazed the 3.5 million went only towards Act One! He said they used the money from sales of Act One to fund Act Two.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 18, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Nemo2342 posted:

I really don't know if I want to keep giving out financial details to every new "crowdfunding" website that comes along.

Yeah doesn't Kickstarter just use Amazon as a payment processor? I wonder what Fig will use.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mirificus posted:

quote:

But that’s one of the risks of public alphas, crowdfunding and transparent game development.

I don't agree with that at all, and I don't know how they could be that dense.

The problem wasn't selling alpha access, or the alpha being public (which it wasn't, you had to own the game), or crowdfunding or anything like that. The problem was Tim Co. had no financing for the game, and it was purely funded by ongoing sales. That was the problem, and it's not the way to develop video games.

So anyone shrugging their shoulders and saying "welp that's alpha/crowdfunding for ya!" aren't seeing the real problem. Timmy didn't have the capital to fund the game, and he didn't let any of us know that.

DF-9 was like dragging a dead dog around Crufts with a blind audience, and Tim providing the commentary. "Look at him go, wow what a dog! Isn't this awesome? We could do these tricks all day! Donate now!"

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

So there's a Fig investment level cap, at least on this campaign:

Not sure if I understand it completely, but maybe it's designed to prevent over-funding based feature creep?

Better for people, they know what the project will be and the goals, and those won't change. The developers know the game they're trying to make, and have a solid plan with no unforeseen changes or additions to add.

I don't know though, could be something else. :shrug:

edit: Where's that Battletech Kickstarter! :arghfist::mad:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 22, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Lowtechs posted:

I wonder what their stretch goals will be.

Hopefully none, just a "Thank you!" to the community. It seems really ambitious as it is without pilling on more features.

Considering it's trending towards ten million dollars, I'd hate for this to become RPG's Star Citizen.

After all, Torment and Project Eternity got around only four million each, with the highest RPG right now being Shroud of the Avatar at almost seven million.

Of course this might just be early days donations and they'll taper off, and they won't get near ten million. Still, their comment "But you’ve caught us of guard and showed us there was an even better scenario." seems to suggest they might not have expected this nor designed any stretch goals. I'd be worried they'll panic and start listening to fans and start pilling on more poo poo.

edit: Dumb me didn't remember this bit: "We are financing Divinity: Original Sin 2 ourselves, but the ideas that we have can be stretched a lot further than what our current budget allows for." which means they must have some ideas up their sleeve.

But then again that could be interpreted as "ideas we could use an extra 500k for", not millions of dollars.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 27, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

AnonSpore posted:

First off, never trust trending information, especially in the first few days. It's never accurate; every popular kickstarter trends towards like 20x its stated goal in the first few days.

Second, apologize to Larian Studios please tia

I'm sorry Larian Studios. :ohdear:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Delusibeta posted:

Hopefully they don't follow WreckfestSpacebase DF-9 in immediately getting stuck in development hell.

Seriously isn't this basically what Doublefine did? Not to stir the poo poo again and get another ten pages of Doublefine talk, but selling early access and hoping to fund it entirely through that seems really dangerous. I can't imagine they'll somehow sell 500k dollars worth of early access to make up the difference in what they didn't get in the Kickstarter. If people wanted it they would have backed it already, so where are all these customers going to come from?

It seems like a move out of desperation and panic more than anything. Probably would have been better to get feedback, retune/rework features, make the game better, and just relaunch it on Kickstarter later or try and find a publisher.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hakkesshu posted:

It's so dumb in every way. For starters, Fig is a horrible loving name, I just spent like a minute trying to get to the site directly from Google and could only find news stories linking to it.

I'd say the game itself (Outer Wilds) is stupid as poo poo too. It seems like a losing Awful Jams competition entry that had a Wacky Space Adventure theme.

Also it boasts that the alpha has been "downloaded nearly 90,000 times", yet there are only 548 supporters. Guess it didn't make that big of an impression on the other 89,452 players. :smug:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Foglet posted:

With stonework textures misaligned like this?

I dunno, this one seemed a bigger crime to me.

Is that a hair texture on the side? The same plank texture on the top part, seriously?

Like I said before about this game the characters look nice, but the rest of the art is just so poorly done.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I've been watching this too, and especially with their stretch goal change from "larger server" to this interesting "pvp/crime" thing I'm really hoping it makes 200k. It reminds me of actually 'solving' crimes as a moderator on Minecraft servers; you had to warp to the place something happened, use a special plugin that showed who did what, and repair the damage and ban/jail the person responsible.

It all looks really interesting on top of an already unique concept, I hope even if it doesn't get to 200k they still add the pvp thing eventually.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Megazver posted:

I'm not thrilled with them adding a crime system. Online games by their very nature are already weighted towards antisocial behaviour and for sandbox games "you can decide how to play!" means indiscriminate slaughter by default. If you want cooperation to be the default mode for the players, you have to work really hard to steer them towards it and restrict all obvious venues of being dicks. Spending their time on adding more opportunities to gently caress with people is the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Well I think they were doing that by default, one because there's an incoming asteroid that will destroy the world if not dealt with, and two for now you literally cannot break a rule/law. I think it's a lot more interesting to give players the option of obeying or disobeying rules, as well as include consequences for their actions.

Calling that just "loving with people" doesn't seem accurate to me, it's about adding more depth to the game. Also Eco hasn't really billed itself as pure sandbox afaik, since there's the aforementioned global objective that has to be dealt with otherwise everyone (and their builds) get wiped. So there's already built in need for cooperation and teamwork, not going rogue and just doing your own thing. Yes a fringe element will do exactly that and not care about anything else, but the majority will probably want to see their world survive.

Another angle is to think of it like this way; what if the server gets some draconian bullshit 1984 laws that everyone hates? Wouldn't it be neat if players broke the laws and just did their own thing in the name of freedom, some sort of resistance uprising if you will, while the server agents try to stop them? Or what if laws somehow get passed that make it impossible to prevent the asteroid disaster? I think it makes things a lot more exciting and interesting, rather than a "You are unable to harvest more wood because it's the law!" barrier that they have in place now.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Der Shovel posted:

No wonder the dude split.

Reading their Kickstarter update it also says he was working on another game at the same time? :confused: So hire one programmer, while he's also working on another game? Brilliant work!

Also lol:

Is the tiny 3.5% sliver labelled "Unity" for programming costs? So the programmer (yes singular) was going to get allocated ~34,000 dollars, while the artists were going to get ~290,000 dollars?!? With three official "3D artists" on their team (not sure if I want to count the cinematic artist or not), that comes to ~96,000 for each artist. :psyduck:

These guys are complete idiots, programming is typically the most expensive (and time consuming) part of game development, not the least. This is literally backwards from how most development studios do things.

edit: Just remembered they were paying the programmer in "royalties" weren't they? :jerkbag: No wonder he wasn't very invested in the project

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Subjunctive posted:

You sure that's not content development? Pretty sure most games have more artists than programmers, in part because it's easier to buy or reuse code than assets.

I don't know, I'd have thought art is pretty straightforward; they create an asset and it's basically up to the programmers to actually make it do something. At least that's how I've always thought of it, I could be wrong!

Artists make art, but programmers have to; code, fix bugs, create AI, maybe create an editor, maybe create some fancy shaders or something not in the standard engine, fix more bugs, make sure all assets play nice together, create multiplayer framework, etc. etc.

According to Gamasutra's poll, salary wise artists are barely above idea guys:

Business and management: $101,572
Audio professionals: $95,682
Programmers: $93,251
Producers: $82,286
Artists and animators: $74,349
Game designers: $73,864
Quality Assurance: $54,833

Which brings me back to the original problem: Those Phoenix guys 'hired' a programmer (who was working on another game at the time don't forget) purely on royalties, no salary at all. However, they were paying their artists ridiculous sums of money for mediocre art. That was the backwards part, not necessarily the number of programmers versus artists, I'm sure one good programmer could do wonders. It was just the salaries that didn't make sense to me. Again, art got 40% of the budget, the programmer got 3.5%. Hell maybe that wasn't for the programmer at all, since it's labeled "Unity" maybe it was just to cover license costs? In which case the programming budget was 0%!

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 4, 2015