Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

echoMateria posted:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'll have my partner read your suggestions on improving his descriptions.

We got some good progress with the gameplay trailer. We haven't put it up on IndieGoGo and Greenlight yet, will do so tomorrow if it passes the final evaluation.

Please take the first look and tell us what you think about its current state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZniPLudYGdw

You could definitely edit a good main video from that. If you took one of the battles, edited it down to the key parts, and included explanation text, like you did in your trailer, it would be pretty good. By "key parts", I just mean like minimizing repetition - when the heroine is slashing like 3-6 times in a row, you can just show one and be fine.

As far as explanation, you need to explain not only what is happening, but what the player is doing to cause it to happen, and why that matters. For instance, when "paper" or "nt" shows up on the screen, you need to explain that the player is using the hint gem to get clues about the enemy, and that "paper" is a characteristic of it and "nt" are some of the letters in its name.

You need to explain what the grid is, too. Is that the world map? :crossarms:

edit: Oh, and I thought of something else you may want to include in future projects, or add onto this one. This probably will come across as an attack, but try not to be defensive, it's a question people will have. Now, I know that there are plenty of native speakers of English outside America/Britain/etc. But you should probably explain why a group of people in Finland decided to open a Japanese->English localization house. Do any of you speak English natively?

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

echoMateria posted:

Thanks for the video edit recommendations, we'll make good use of them.

The only Finnish in our trio is Jakke, our editor and project manager with a degree in English. He edits the translations of Yoshifumi, our Japanese translator and relations coordinator. I am Ozhan, the Turkish guy who handles graphics and marketing. Our additional staff include another Finnish and Turk, a Dutch and a couple of Americans. We three partners have worked on many localization projects under other banners in the past, some released successfully, some cancelled. That's where we met and decided to strike out on our own. More reading on this is available from our site's About Section if you like.

Thank you very much for the honest answer. :) I did read that section on the site, but I didn't see anything there to tell me whether any of your translators are native English speakers. That's something I'd really like to know - though, that's sorta just my personal curiosity. ;)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Megazver posted:

I still think the tall pixely dudes are neat looking. Westerado is pretty sweet, for example.

I really like Riot's sprites, too. I don't always like tall&skinny - it definitely took me a while to warm up to it - but I personally feel that it's like any style, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. I liked Under the Garden, too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

echoMateria posted:

We applied the suggested edits and ended up with this video below. Thanks for all the help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4dUDJU23U

IndieGoGo campaign for 99 Spirits reached 31% in less than a week and the Greenlight entry is getting good reception as well, things are looking up.

Yeah, great job! The game actually looks pretty compelling now. I bet it'd be a great fit for mobile.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

miguelito posted:

I'd consider it ethical to leave that site to the little guys with crazy niche projects instead of using it as a tap for free money

This makes sense if there's a fixed amount of money coming into KS, and huge projects take money away from smaller ones. What actually seems to happen, though, is that huge successes expand Kickstarter's total audience. Because of that, smaller projects actually benefit from the huge ones because they increase the total amount of Kickstarter users, which increases the chance that a smaller project will get funded.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So it seems like that Rainfall thing was some kind of misconstrued joke or something, but while looking into it I found some interesting stuff on a blog I thought I would share.

This is from the guy that did those Rainfall mockups, showing his process. You can imagine if you showed a prototype that had first or second pass art from him it'd look about on par with that other image, heh.

Renoistic posted:

In a similar vein, the Sealark Kickstarter hasn't updated since October last year. January if you count the comments section. Thankfully I had learned my lesson by then and didn't pledge....

Sometimes ya just gotta poke around a bit. Looking at her site that's linked from the Kickstarter page we have an update from last Tuesday: link

Sealark Dev posted:

Been working on more between frame thumbnails, and spriting. Trying to refine my spriting process too. Though, I still need to finish the cloth physics so I know how to sprite certain characters effectively. Cloth will be for minor details like dresses and pony-tails (once it works, it’s in a pretty buggy way right now). The actual physics-physics seems pretty solid though. Dove does not clip through her boat and ragdoll into space! The fact that she doesn’t do that, is a bug that will soon be fixed.

Probably the one thing I continuously put off, is posting on the actual Kickstarter website blog thing though. Not that I forget or anything! It’s just one of those things. Where you don’t post for a while, so you need to make a really big post to make up for it. Which in turn makes you take longer, meaning it has to be bigger. And it keeps goin’. Boooo…

I should really set up a livestream soon. Now that things are finally starting to get interesting. Though I’ll warn you all beforehand that I am prone to stagefright. The entire stream will probably devolve into me making every viewing artist feel good about their art by comparison!

I thought that game looked awesome and honest I wish I did back it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

With 12 hours left, Race The Sun, an amazingly beautiful game has a tiny chance of getting funded.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flippfly/race-the-sun-endless-racer-with-mod-tools-and-mult

It seemed like it had no chance, but they managed to surge up to 75% of their total. They... may have a shot at this. Check it out, $8 for the game reward.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kennel posted:

Is there any good procedural platformers other than Spelunky? I like the concept but it seems to be very difficult to make computer generated content interesting.

Yes! They're not all RPG heavy, but Spelunky-like is a growing subgenre. There's a bunch on Greenlight, since that's where new-edge experimental games go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94166786

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Christ, I didn't realized I'd backed so many projects. Don't know if we're still doing this.

Q1 2013
Castle Story - Got it! (March) - All tiers included beta access set for October 2012. It didn't arrive until March. It's still very much a "beta", but it's surprisingly awesome. Very happy with this pledge!

Q2 2013
Solforge - Got it! (April) - All tiers included beta access set for January. It didn't arrive until this month. But it's here now, I have it in my Steam library, and I believe it's a pretty playable version of the game. I'm sure I'll check it out some time.

Detective Grimoire - April - Originally set for September 2013. I've no idea their current progress, but they claim to be on for an April release. Seems a bit unlikely given how little they've shown.

Volgarr the Viking - Spring/Summer? - Originally set for February. However, they have done great updates that show excellent progress, they got picked up by a publisher, and they're apparently in crunch now. Should be out in a month or two, hopefully. Excited for this one.

OUYA - May - Originally set for March. Well, I guess they finished their product on time, but shipping has been very slow. Their last claim was that they'll finish shipping by late May. We'll see if that holds up.

Shadowland Returns - June - Originally set for January. They put out a juicy video as well, looks great to me.

Q3 2013
Kinetic Void - July - Originally set for December 2012. They're up on Steam Early Access, but I haven't played out that build yet. It looks like the game will be cool whenever it releases, but the Early Access build is missing a lot of systems so I'm not sure what state the game will be in by July. I guess that depends on how far along those missing systems are behind the scenes.

Q4 2013
Wasteland 2 - October - They haven't been updating too often, but they did show a nice long gameplay video off two months ago. Maybe it'll get delayed, but I'm feeling quite positive on this one.

Moon Intern - November - ...maybe on track? They have an alpha version for testers, and they've been saying a new stable build will be coming soon for the past month or so. GDC was a big disruption for that, so hopefully now they're back on track. We shall see.

Shadowrun Online - November - Originally set for May. They haven't shown a lot of progress so far, but they delayed it to November.

Meriwether - November - These guys appear to still be on track! Played a great vertical slice at PAX. (I think it was a slice, that may be wrong)

Dead State - December - Just got greenlit for Steam. I guess they're still on track for Dec release. A long combat video came out, but it wasn't that exciting; this game's not really about combat.

Autumn's looking pretty sparse, there. I guess I'll keep my eye out KS projects to help round out that season. ;)

Unsuccessful, but still alive projects:
Super Motherload - Kickstarter Failed - 2013 - Originally set for February, but obviously without the Kickstarter funds that got pushed back. They're still pushing hard though, and just had a great showing at GDC with a playable build. Say they're aiming for sometime this year.

Skyjacker - August - Kickstarter Failed, Successful Relaunch - They seem to think they're on track for August. They'll probably release their demo thing in May like they said, at least.

Divekick - Canceled - Q3 2013 - Originally set for November, but then they got bought by Iron Galaxy. That'll disrupt your plans. They're making tremendous progress, though; game played great at PAX.

Kaiju Combat - ?? - These guys have had it rough. They relaunched after their first unsuccessful campaign with a lower goal and they managed to hit it. But now Wizards of the Coast has hit them with a bullshit IP infringement claim, apparently Wizards thinks they own the entire kaiju genre. I guess stuff like this is always gonna be a risk as a small company.

I also threw a few dollars at various projects without getting the game as a reward. (Lodus, Song Masters, Phantasmaburbia, Shadow Remnants, Deozoa, Homestuck)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Davincie posted:

That's some lazy art, the right and left one look exactly the same and the middle one is just scaled up a few percent.

Well they've certainly made a very strong argument that without funding, their game will be horrible. Hopefully that 250k is enough money to fill out their dev team, and then replace all the current members and start from scratch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

On a different game.

Well, I was assuming that nobody except the people currently running the project would ever choose to make a game like that... but I guess that's a big assumption. :(

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

RIP Big Blue. We barely knew ye.

Even though it wasn't the sole reason, I think the media failed this one rather badly. It wouldn't even show on that weekly Kickstarter column RPS does.

In other news, Carmageddon posted an update with a so-childish-but-somehow-totally-kickass new car:

No, Big Blue failed to show a game. I pretty much got no sympathy for people that don't give any real indication of what the game is going to be and end up failing. I've seen screensavers deeper than the 5-second "demo" they showed.

I would have loved to see a successor to Ecco, but they didn't really present that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Shalinor posted:

There's something really charming about Dog Sled Saga. The video won me over. Doesn't hurt that it's also a unique concept.

Oh, man...

quote:

WELCOME TO OUR WORLD OF DOGS ● Add your pet's name to the pool of default dog names

They did it, they came up with the ultimate KS reward.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 3, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

People seem to confuse matchmaking services with MMOs.

What if WoW is really a 5-player co-op game, and Azeroth is really the most advanced matchmaking GUI ever created? :aaaaa:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

I have seen some silly USB keys thrown into Kickstarters. Shadowrun Returns had a dog tag, of all things. Some space-fighter 'sim' had one shaped like a business card. And while not attached to a Kickstarter, I've even seen a thumb-sized dog that would vigorously hump your laptop when it was plugged in.

This though? This beggars the imagination. A diskette that you have to slide open, draw a cable out of, then fiddle with the cable to determine its orientation, then leave the whole ungainly apparatus hanging from the back of your tower or the side of your laptop in order to operate. It worries me that this rated beyond 'silly weekend project' and apparently went into production somewhere.

Doesn't the floppy just have a little flash drive inside that you take out? https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/551/496/0c908722f88467d25c4e422fad1ada43_large.gif?1367251135

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

This whole campaign is really stupid, but even if they don't have to hire anyone, there's gonna be some work required that'll need to be payed for. Editing, site work, etc. They mention that the staff guy that used to edit it doesn't have enough spare time anymore. It's not a complete sham.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The PA business guy, Robert Khoo, is talking about it on twitter right now. Of note is this tweet:

So... yeah, whatever.

FWIW I think the whole thing is stupid and completely beside the point of what Kickstarter is for, which is to act as a fundraising platform where people can pledge their money on the condition that the goal will be met. If the goal is going to be met no matter what, why use Kickstarter? But on the other hand if a bunch of idiots want to give Penny Arcade money for literally zero reason (like, honestly, it's unclear what they are using the money for - bandwidth for the podcast I guess...?) I'm not really sure what the problem with that is. The idea that people like PA or Zach Braff shouldn't use Kickstarter because they can get money other ways has never seemed right to me. If people want to throw money at millionaires, go ahead.

I guess I'm happy that since they're not just asking for money directly, they're at least generating some revenue for Kickstarter. I like Kickstarter. If PA pulls in a couple hundred grand on this, Kickstarter gets $10k. So there's that.

And, although I give zero credit to the PA guys for this, they're also generating some interesting data by doing two Kickstarters, one at $250000 and one at $10.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

drat. I've been following Energy Hook for a while because the basic gameplay looked really fun. I'm really disappointed to see that it's being made as a sports game. In the indie scene that basically translates to "alright so we got the character moving, and we made some big, static, empty levels... LET'S CALL IT A WRAP GUYS".

I mean... sure, they could make it into a deep game with a lot of mechanics, but it sure as gently caress doesn't look like that's what they're doing.

Qwo posted:

I suggest you guys click the "report Kickstarter" button at the bottom of that project page. Hopefully KS will address the problem.
Done and done. This does violate Kickstarter's rules. Each Kickstarter campaign is meant to have a specific project goal that they can guarantee if they reach their funding goal. To put it simply: "X" won't happen unless we get funded. This project doesn't have that. Which means that there is no project. The way he's presented it, this isn't a Kickstarter for Energy Hook, it's a "fund my life" project. Those kind of campaigns are strictly prohibited.

Obviously the game will be better if he has funding, because he'll be able to work on it more, but he hasn't really articulated that very well. He needs to remake his project.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Coldrice posted:

Only 5 days left on Bitcrobes kickstarter - and only about $200 from its goal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1664072802/bitcrobes

I really have to thank SA for their support. Reddit gave me a lot of emails, questions, and "karma" - but SA actually put forth money and gave me some advice/tips.

Haha, this actually looks pretty cool. Would definitely play on a phone. The splicing minigame looks pretty neat, too. It's hard when you're pitching a free game, but I pledged anyway. :3:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DancingPenguin posted:

Take a look at this beautiful ship.

Void Destroyer seems like a pretty cool game, albeit a bit unoriginal.
I feel pretty obliged to post about it since it uses Ogre3D.
It would be pretty awesome with multiplayer, which is a post-release goal.

Speaking of space ships...

Fiction D posted:

Some good friends of mine just started a project that I think would interest some of you on here that have a thing for blowing things up in deep space.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninedots/god-factory-wingmen

Take a look! :)

Wow, this sure flew under the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A59mQBbUyQQ

I personally love the style in this game, though if you're looking for gritty realistic brown & black look elsewhere. Tons of fast & flashy lights and colors and particles here. Build your own ship out of modules and jump into competitive 4v4 space battles. In general it's a much faster, arcadey space shooter, more akin to something like Star Fox than, say, EvE Online.

Also, Oculus Rift cockpit mode!

(is amazon a suitable host to link an image from, or is that considered leeching?)

quote:

Oculus Rift is not ideal for every game because it completely replaces your vision. For a game with a character that moves and jumps, it can feel a bit awkward as the player is sitting in a chair. However the experience from GoD: Wingmen is within a cockpit, creating the perfect environment for simulation.

It is our intent to support the Oculus Rift for GoD Factory and we hope that we'll be ready on time for launch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

"Endica VII The Dream King": surprisingly not poo poo. (1 Day Left)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2AvFswrR4w

I saw this project a while back and it caught my interest, but it has a ton of warning signs, like being part VII of the creator's grand vision and sounding like a retro gaming madlib. But the game did look competently put together, at least among typical Kickstarter fare. That, and it had both a reasonable funding period & goal ($1600), as well as an actual playable demo.

Well, it's been funded! Good for them. Figured it was a good as time as any to try the demo, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's definitely alpha, but it plays well and it's fun to explore a Metroid-y world with a Mega Man X play style. The basic character players very much like Zero (sword + buster), but the other characters, though half-done, play pretty differently and seem to indicate the creator is branching out from "Mega Man fangame".

Give the demo a shot, and maybe think about tossing a couple bucks their way. They've got some very modest stretch goals, and this is exactly the kind of game that could benefit from a few coats of polish like hiring another artist ($2000) or deepening the RPG elements ($2250).

Click Here For Demo Download

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I've never played a Shantae game, but to me that looks incredibly dull. Pretty, but dull. It looks like a 3rd party platforming game from the early NES era - something like a proto Bonk's Adventure. Maybe its just really early in development but that video makes it look like it's the most basic of basic platformers.

The action & platforming is pretty dull, as you say - the element that attracts people to the series is the puzzly/exploration/metroidvania style, along with the colorful attractive art.

Even then it's not the best metroidvania series, but the games tend to also be extremely cheap.