Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

something posted:

Basically some very upset 4channers are playing with the idea of making an opposing kickstarter.

Looks like someone did!

this guy on twitter is posting chatlogs from their steam group. Racial and homophobic slurs abound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
My biggest question about the PA kickstarter is why is it important to drop the adverts? What is having to run advertising preventing them from doing? What will they suddenly be able to do with 1 million a year from crowdfunding that they couldn't do with the same revenue from ads?

I hope it's not just "now without having to worry about our advertisers getting all offended, we can finally bring you the 3-month dickwolves saga you have all been yearning for"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Reading over the KS page again, I think they mean that they won't have to do promotional comics for videogames anymore, and they can spend the time on other stuff. It's easy to miss, since they seem to make a far bigger deal over the pictures of their websites without ads, which everyone without Adblock has already seen.

I'm still skeptical though. How much time do they spend on these promotional comics? Will they really be able to pump out a bunch of amazing original content in that time? I guess I'm biased, since I don't really read PA anymore and I don't really care how much content they're putting out.

NmareBfly posted:

As for what getting the ads out accomplishes -- isn't all the money poured into advertising part of everyone's complaints about Video Game Journalism? I don't think there's any way not having banner ads will mean they're totally uninfluenced by Big Publisher, but it's a worthwhile start. No, I don't consider PA to be games journalism exactly, but the PR they provide games is undeniable.

I'm still confused as to what influence publishers have over them currently. If they're not afraid to offend rape victims en masse, I doubt they'd be afraid to pan a lovely game just because they might lose out on advertising.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 11, 2012

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

macnbc posted:

Yeah, I'm completely over high fantasy as a setting. If this was an Alpha Protocol 2 kickstarter (or even a non-licensed "Spiritual successor") I'd be in for over $100, no problem.

Original high fantasy setting with a map that still looks suspiciously like Europe? Meh, I'll pass on this one.

I really doubt it's going to be like another Dragon Age: Skyrim Wars 2 generic fantasy. I mean if they can make a compelling story out of the Star Wars universe, then an original setting is going to be something special. Here's a quote from the Kotaku article:

quote:

The world is totally original. "It's fantasy with its own voice. Josh Sawyer has been leading the charge with the world and race creation—at first glance, players will recognize archetypes and seemingly-familiar landscapes, but often, we just use that as a means to draw you in and let you begin to see the subtleties and differences. Our first goal with the world creation was to make a world that's fun to explore first, and then construct the lore, factions, and conflicts around that."

People are already buying the $5000 / $3000 tiers. This game is gonna have some amazing portraits/ items.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I saw there were only two 25$ slots left on the Divinity kickstarter and said "what the hell" and backed it. I have never played or seen a Divinity game. Help what have i become