Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

SparkTR posted:

Worthy of it's own thread.

I'd agree with that. Has anybody emailed RPS yet too? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

If nobody does it before I get home, I'll try and make a thread about it, explaining what Shadowrun was, etc. So HYPE right now.

Somebody just beat you to it :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476514

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Dead Linger is looking pretty interesting as well. Over 50% funded in 5 days, and not surprising given the premise. If they can make good on what they're promising it's one of the games I've always wanted to play :)

Tufty
May 21, 2006

njark posted:

the game he is selling sounds awesome but i have serious doubts about him with 60k will be able to deliver even a sliver of what he's promising. no gameplay video? just some assists to show for it? no thanks.

I have those same reservations but they're an established indie studio with a game under their belt already that's available on Steam and they've all associated their full names with the studio so that stopped me being worried about it being purposeful vapourware. I'm sceptical about them delivering what they're aiming for, and I'd like to see some videos too - supposedly there's one coming soon.

Apparently they have been working on it as a hobby for 6 months and the Kickstarter is it fund the next 6 months with them able to do more work on it than they had previously. At that point it will be in alpha and will then be using an alpha funding model. If it gets some good buzz, the videos are promising, and goons say it's shaping up to their promises then I'll definitely alpha fund it.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

There was never a freelancer 2? and Freelancer was a Microsoft game.

there are a ton of 'high-profile' projects going up, makes me unsure about our indie game getting enough notice. I will still put it up and hope that we can get enough interest.

I wouldn't worry about it :) It's not just a group of 100 thousand people who are the "gaming investment community" like someone said in one of the kickstarter threads. You've got people pledging to Wasteland because they played the first one, because they're fans of Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas, because they like turn-based RPGs, because they like old-school RPGs, because they like post-apocalyptic stuff, because they thought Brian Fargo's video was funny and have never played any Fallout or Wasteland games etc. There is some overlap with W2 and Shadowrun: Returns because they're a similar genre and the originals were from a similar time (RPG fans, turn-based fans, really old people like Quarex) but there'll be people who pledge to one and not the other, and people who've only pledged to Jane Jensen's thing and I'm not gonna list all the possibilities.

Plenty of low-profile indie games get funded and do very well. See: Faster than Light, Stardrive, Star Command. Notice how there's tons of space themed stuff that did really well, like your game? NERDS LOVE SPACE poo poo. And even better, space games are really under-represented in the mainstream publisher-funded market (Mass Effect and Halo don't count).

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Yeah, that's how I like to think of it. I guess the people who think it's some sort of new evil business practice involving principal capital and return on investment and all that crap are just viewing it in a way that is miles away from it being charity.

When you donate to the WWF, they send you a nice picture of a tiger or a panda or whatever. If you donate enough, they send you a cuddly toy.

When you donate to Wasteland 2, they send you a product of the cause you're supporting. If you donate enough, they send you a big old-school style box and a cloth map too.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

nessin posted:

You're buying a product, even though the product doesn't exist yet, it's a simple as that. It sure as hell isn't a charity drive, because most 1st world countries have special conditions and benefits when providing money to a charity and usually other restrictions behind the scenes. If you refuse to see it as purchasing a product, then it basically boils down to providing a interest free loan with no security behind it and only what little enforcement on repayment as is provided by the initial Kickstarter review.

And while investment isn't the right word, as an investment in the financial sense generally requires some security of a return, it's far close to an investment than a charity drive.

It's not charity because it doesn't fit what charity is according to the laws and regulations of some countries?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

People aren't saying that they think Kickstarter or individual projects are charitable organisations. The word charity doesn't just mean "A charity", it also means the act of giving to those in need. You can view the pledging of money to a kickstarter project as charity because the developers are saying "We want to make this game, but we need money to do it". The developers are in need of money/funding in order to produce the game they want, and like with a lot of charitable donations you get a reward.

What I personally meant when I said that I think it's closer to charity than investment is that, to my mind, pledging/donating/buying into a kickstarter is like a combination of charity, patronage, and pre-purchasing a product made to order (not a bespoke product before anybody decides to quibble over what I mean by "made to order").

Tufty
May 21, 2006

ACTUALLY, Kickstarter isn't charity or gambling, it's really a lot like time. Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff... Kickstarter works the same way.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What they're doing wrong is not being famous and asking for more than 10 grand. That project is proof that kickstarter is not some great new funding mechanism for mid budget games but simply a way for developers with a devoted following to monetize that into making a midbudget game.

Oh you mean like this low-budget indie game being made by no-names that asked for $10,000 but got $200,000? Or this one that asked for 100K and got nearly twice that? Or The Banner Saga which doesn't have famous or popular developers associated with it, just industry professionals?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

That Yognaut thing actually sounds like a cool concept and seems like it would be a nifty game to play and mess around in, except it does really seem like it's going to be a novelty stupid thing with a dwarf and a star trek officer going "AaaaaAAAAAA!" whilst surrounded by memes.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

I can offer a suggestion for why it's failing to get funded, but it's just based on my reaction to the pitch and the assumption that a lot of people out there will have the same reaction combined with the fact that there's no press or buzz about it prompting people to investigate.

You click onto the kickstarter and you're greeted with "Tortured Hearts, or How I Saved the Universe Again" and a picture of a hearts suite playing card that looks like it was drawn by a 15 year old girl and put on her Deviantart. It then goes on about it being an 'epicly epic satirical RPG' that is funny and subverts all the common tropes of epic RPGs. I see and read that and I don't care about anything else on the page, I instantly do not want to keep on looking and certainly do not want to pledge.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I wish I could say. The fact they haven't released a gameplay video of any sort really bothers me.

They're supposed to be releasing some footage soon, within a week or so. I like the concept a lot, and while I don't think it's deliberate vapourware or a scam, I'm not too confident on them delivering what their page promises. Apparently they'll be using the Kickstarter to get to an alpha stage and then they'll be alpha funding the rest of the development. I'll definitely send them some money that way if it seems like they're reaching their goals.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Where are people getting the idea that this YOGScast game isn't going to be like Minecraft at all and will be just a game maker? I'm going to paste some bits from their Kickstarter below but replacing 'Yogventure' with 'Minecraft'.

quote:

Minecraft is going to be an open world sandbox game designed first and foremost as a multiplayer experience.

Generate fantastic new world terrain that is random and editable. This means the terrain will be vast, interesting and fully destructible - you'll be able to diggy diggy as much as you like or just say 'Balls to it!' and blow it all up!

Beautiful, randomly-generated game worlds that are different every time you start a new game of Minecraft.

Fully shapeable terrain - with the ability for players to raise a mountain range or create a vast ocean; you can effortlessly shape your world however you imagine it.

A rich underground to mine and explore - bristling with rare outcroppings of gems and crystals, hidden tombs and dark underground terrors that drop rare weapons and loot.

A fully-fleshed out crafting system.

Yeah, they've said they're putting a lot of emphasis on creating and sharing adventures and that a focus is "adventure maps from Minecraft" without the limitations.. However I don't get the impression at all that it will simply be you can either play in Editor mode and it's like RPGMaker/LittleBigPlanet create mode or you play in Play mode where you run around in the maps you or other people have made.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Piece of piss" means something is easy?!

Yeah, it's the equivalent of "piece of cake".

Tufty
May 21, 2006

What do the mods think of a kickstarter thread tag for Games? It seems like this trend is going to keep growing and it'd be nice to have a tag for kickstarter projects rather than people sticking it in the thread title.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Krenzo posted:

How is this different from other virtual tabletop programs that have come before?

That one is free, isn't tied in to one or more systems in any way, allows you to search appropriate sites and forums for tokens and maps and images and drop them right into your game, lets you search the internet for background music that is filtered to be appropriate (doesn't have lyrics I guess) and then preview songs before electing to play them for your players (with adjustable volume and the ability to play several at once).

I didn't know about that Roll20 thing until the guy who quoted posted it but it looks really good to me, I've been wanting to try P&P RP games for a while and it looks like a great free solution. Watch the demo video on their kickstarter, it explains it all and showcases the nifty features.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Megalixir posted:

Personally I dislike this idea, it takes a little something away from "Hey guys, here's my page. I'm making thing. Thing's gonna be awesome, because this." and just shoves stats in your face instead.

Is finding out what the daily pledging total is actually going to help people in deciding whether they should also pledge?

You do know that Kickstarter didn't make and don't own Kicktraq, and that it's not trying to be some sort of weird alternative to Kickstarter or that nobody would ever say "Hey, back my project!" and then link to Kicktraq page of their Kickstarter project, right? It's just a stats tracking page. People like numbers and graphs and stuff.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Quodio Stotes posted:

Looks like they botched it. I'll slide in with a better nanopet reboot.

There's this on the horizon: http://toucharcade.com/2012/05/21/monster-loves-you-is-an-upcoming-tamagotchi-like-from-dejobaan-and-radial-games/

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Everybody should check out this sandbox/RPG roguelike thing with the most fantastic world generation and most beautiful ASCII graphics I've ever seen. It's called Cult. I found out about it a couple of years ago while browsing the Bay12 forums for some reason and then pretty much forgot about it. I decided to google it today and bloody hell he started a kickstarter today or yesterday! It looks fantastic and I'm gonna give him $10 :3:

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Al! posted:

I do think it's kind of lovely to charge money for the broken version but then hey if you want the real thing. Isn't the point of alpha funding that you're rewarding early adopters for funding you while your project is small and helping iron the bugs out, not punishing them for not giving you enough money?

I guess it just depends on how you look at it. You view at like that, I'm looking at it as "It's gonna be $20 for the full game but you can get it for $15 now. If you don't want to pay $15 you can pay $10 instead and try out the alpha. If you then like the alpha you can pay an extra $5 to upgrade yourself to the discounted full game price".

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

Well, he has a point that it is lacking, most games where swords are involved won't even let you choose direction of your strike just execute predefined animation of 1,2 or 3 on targeted bad guy. Personally, I don't think realistic sword control will be fun, swinging and blocking manually was a bit of annoyance in Daggerfall and Mount & Blade and that with only basic direction control.
Most duels with realistic control will end in first strike kill or accidentally cutting off some body part of your own. :)

Hey, give me some credit man. I have a very extensive collection of Samurai swords and I have never once cut myself. I practice Bushido with them 3 hours a day while I watch anime too.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

octoroon posted:

Torchlight 2 is pretty much exactly this, robust toolset and all, unless I am missing something. And it is also going to be released pretty much any minute now.

I think end of July was the last word in the TL2 thread :(

Tufty
May 21, 2006

illiniguy01 posted:

What does this mean:
Cult is written entirely in Python, and utilizes the libTCOD roguelike library to make text look purty. Yes, that's correct - Cult so far is only text.

Please don't tell me a "game" that has only text so far has gotten $6000.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Speaking of Cult, does anyone else hope he doesn't reach his 10K milestone and get a tileset artist because the ASCII is so beautiful?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Steve Glutenberg posted:

Seeking investors for Super Mario Combover. I have already done the hard work (grown out an incredible excess of matted, straw-like hair from the very top of my head) and have already hired a team of 8 to figure out ways to assemble my wispy thatch into a reasonable facsimile of a human hairstyle, but here's the issue: these people need to eat, and apparently they don't like sebum and keratin very much. So I'm faced with a conundrum, Code Red and Burger King are expensive. So I need you to give me ten thousand dollars, and once you've done that, and I look like a goblin in a cool wig, I will say "yahoo" and "mamma mia" repeatedly on justin.tv at 2:30 EST each afternoon for 6 weeks.

I laughed so hard as this you wouldn't believe it.

Unbeknownst, your hair is really bad.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Cult has met it's final stretch goal, it's a shame the guy's probably asleep and can't put a few more up. He's still got 3 days to go. With some really great stretch goals I reckon he can hit $40K, maybe even $50K since it's a prettier number.

I looked this morning and it was on $21K meaning he had $4K pledged today alone :3:

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

Oh man I really hope he puts up more stretch goals. I feel left out though since everyone else apparently got a personal 'Thank You' from the guy after they donated, I didn't get no personal message :(

e: I WILL up my pledge to the next tier if I get a message

I didn't get a personal thank you either :( Either he's backlogged on sending them out or he's gotten too big for his britches now he's 800% funded or something :smith:

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

The public update says it's the 40k goal, the private one says he'll do it anyway (and acknowledges that he is leaving the public one up for people who didn't donate yet).

Yeah, I got that email and was a bit in two minds about it. I'm not sure if I like the deception involved. I wish instead he had just posted an update saying he was collaborating with someone to create a 3D API (but the 2D tilset version would still be the default view) and then added some other, reasonable stretch goals with concrete info about what will be added by his 'improving the game' from $25K onwards.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Ok everybody. We have just over 20 hours to get Crystal Catacombs another $25K so it has co-op multiplayer. GO!

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Honest question: How many more old school RPGs can Kickstarter take before it gets saturated?

We've got to be getting there soon.

Yeah, I'm totally sick of this glut of old school RPGs. I know that a lot of people have been clamouring for more games like this for years, but 4 or 5 is enough! I hope after these games all come out we don't see any more for another decade and a half so I have time to play Dragon Age 3 and Gothic 5.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Davincie posted:

Weird references considering Dragon Age 1 was hailed as a come back to old school rpg's and the Gothic series started as some as the most gently caress you hard games ever.

The fact that Dragon Age 2 was a piece of poo poo and so was Gothic 4 (and I doubt the sequels to both games will be any different) makes it a really good reference.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Vafthrudnir posted:

Man, I have zero interest in the game but this is really heartbreaking.

Me too. I clicked on it from Shalinor's post a few hours ago, saw 'Funding Unsuccessful' and then looked up to see how much they missed by and literally winced. Poor guys :(

Tufty
May 21, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I've noticed that he thinks that his name is enough to carry the games he makes. I mean he was patting himself on the back years ago about how cheap it was to develop games in China, so I have a feeling that he's just hiring the cheapest people he can find rather than actual talent. Because he's AMERICAN MCGEE and that's all his games need.

This is true and the worst part about it is that his name is dumb as gently caress.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Lap posted:

Is everyone just worn out of zombie stuff or is the developer just bad at publicity?

ROAM

http://www.roam-game.com/images/4.png

Highlights:

-Base building.
-Procedurally generated world (randomish)
-Isometric
-Multiplayer

Pics, vids and more information at kickstarter link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roam/roam

They're nearly at 10% of their goal only two days into the campaign. I'm sure they'll make it just fine.

ROAM actually looks pretty cool after watching their video and the separate base building one. I'd probably pledge them a tenner if it got me the game but for $15 I'm gonna wait and see what other media they put out during the campaign.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Shalinor posted:

That looks a LOT like that cancelled Midway open-world hero RPG. Anyone know if Phosphor Games has any connection to the other dev team?

I thought when I was playing inFamous 2 which added the ice and fire powers to your character that it'd be awesome if someone made an open world game with gameplay kinda like inFamous but with character customisation approaching City of Heroes. This doesn't look quite like that, but it's probably the closest thing I'm gonna get. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Project Awakened.

Edit: Okay, after watching this video of the cancelled Midway game HERO it looks almost exactly like what I described. I think I might actually pledge to this :ohdear:

Tufty fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 5, 2013

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Dawnfire posted:

I really want to believe in that Project Awakened kickstarter. I've always loved superhero games. Doubly more so if said superhero game allow you to pick your powers. And I'm even more of a sucker for a game that has great character customization. CO was fun in that regard, but you pretty much had to really focus on certain power sets in order to be effective. CoH was another nice game like that, but it's class system was even more restrictive (while also being somewhat more polished). These guys are promising a fully open skill system. That's gotta be hell to balance, but it certainly sounds appealing to me.

It does sound like the kind of game I really want, but their goals may be too high. They promise a whole lot in their pitch, and $500k doesn't seem like enough to fund it. However, they do seem to have a good portion of the assets and actual gameplay coded. Their pitch video shows some combat and power choices. They also seem to plan plenty of development time with their date of late 2014. It all leaves me on the fence, though. I love the idea of the game and everything they want to do with it, but I'm hesitant to buy into it. I feel like I'd just get my hopes smashed.

Against my better judgement I decided to pledge (much for the same reasons that you're considering it). They sent out an email update this morning and I'll paste it here for you, maybe it'll help you to make a decision one way or the other.

quote:

-snip-

Edit: I just realised that this wasn't a private backer-only update so here's a link instead.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 6, 2013

Tufty
May 21, 2006

uaciaut posted:

What i keep asking myself is how are board games so popular and what does someone do with $2mil to spend on making a board game when they initially asked for $35k. Sorry if this was asked before i'm just kinda baffled by it D:

Spend $35k making the game, spending another $35k making an expansion because "the campaign did so amazingly well!" and then pocket the $1.9 million

Edit: Also boardgames are so popular because they're fun (check it out) and they tend to do so well on kickstarter because boardgamers seem to have a lot of disposable income.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, they can still make it. 19 days is alot of time. Spread the word, get on facebook and get your friends to pitch in and get them to get their friends to pitch in.

As they say, nothing worth doing is easy.

Speaking of Project Awakened, they just released another update which I think is really cool. It details the power creation system which includes letting you choose the power type, the socket point it comes from (eyes, hands, mouth, chest, crotch etc), the animation you do while using it, and all the visual effects of the power itself. It's like taking City of Heroes' power animation and colour selection and multiplying it by 10.

They're also doing an Ask Me Anything on Reddit but they're already answering backer questions in the comments, but hopefully it'll help with exposure.

Edit: Oh and here's a video of a power they made using that power creator thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrK25p64ndM

Tufty
May 21, 2006

GhostBoy posted:

Dreamfall Chapters have passed 90% funded with 22 days yet to go, and just revealed their first stretch goals. 50K past the 850K finishing line gives Mac and Linux versions of the game, a cool 1 million gives a longer game overall.

Stretch goal update:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/406579

Feel free to spread the word.

That 2 million stretch goal, 'The Longest Journey Home'... remake of The Longest Journey in this new engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Dawnfire posted:

:stare:

Was his super power just making everyone dance? Now I just want to make a Daft Punk stand-in with laser light shows for powers and the ability to make everyone dance themselves to death, and that seems like a possibility with this game.

Yeah pretty much. They did some motion capture of a dude dancing in lots of different ways, added the animations to the game and made a power that did an AoE effect that caused all the enemies in the area to play a dance animation. It's based on this weird Harlem Shake meme: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_shake_(meme)