Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

Dragonrah posted:

While you can count the number of universally recognized good FMV games on one hand, it would be amazing to have one done now as a throwback to the “good old days” providing it was done properly.

I'm curious besides Tex Murphy and Roberta Williams games are there any other FMV games universally recognized as good?

Dragonrah posted:

If we got a Tex Murphy game, I think I'd only have two games left on my "I'd kill to have more" list.

No One Lives Forever and Quest for Glory

Is there a reason we never got a sequel for No One Lives Forever? It was a highly regarded franchise in a popular genre and nothings happened for ten years. It looks like the original developer is even still around. If someone did a kickstarter to test interest like the hardcore tactical shooter project I think it would attract a lot of attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Roberta Williams games are generally recognized as poo poo with horrible gently caress-you puzzles.

There was a sequel.

Sorry, I should've been clearer I meant why hasn't there been a third.

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's a pretty dodgy project. A kickstarter for two guys who make minecraft videos to pay some indie devs to make them a minecraft clone.

If I was more cynical, I'd say that this the one to watch for an inevitable explosion and shitstorm when it doesn't deliver in time / at all and people start wanting their money back.

If it's anything like this project http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zioneyez/eyeztm-by-zioneyez-hd-video-recording-glasses-for they can miss their promised delivery by a year and have their only contact be one update a year later promising they're totally still working on it and nothing will really happen.

Then again the Yogventures guys have a bigger internet following to protect so they'll probably put something out even if it is terrible.

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006
It looks like Republique finally gave in and are making PC and Mac versions. I'm happy it looked like one of the few cool projects that wouldn't meet its goal now I think donations will really pickup. They still need to update the faq though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

macnbc posted:

I love the concept that they're going for, but the pitch itself is kinda lacking and the abundance of physical goods in the rewards tiers tells me they didn't really think this one through clearly.

I agree this looks like an interesting project though. If it fails (most likely) I hope they take what they learned and try again especially if they could get some kind of mock game play video to show. With a bit more momentum the project would at least have a fighting chance to meet its goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The difference here is that "success" has a different meaning, whereby for Wildman to be successful for GPG, it would have needed to be overfunded. It's very clear that they'd make at least a million dollars if they kept on trucking, but it's evident that wouldn't have been enough, otherwise they wouldn't be in this situation.

This is what makes me hesitant about the project. If you're clearly going to need 3 million to make the game you're showing then make that the goal from the beginning. You can't rely on stretch goals when only 4 games have really gotten up to that 3 million level. I don't want to back the project for a million and find out later that wasn't enough to get it done. I hope if works out for him though it would be sad to see a 15 year old studio go under.