Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Doublehex posted:

Except, as far as I am aware, tanks are not sentient beings that can say no to a command. I would imagine that'd be the big draw of power armor.

I think in this metaphor the armor is the tank and the warforged are the terminators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

-Fish- posted:

I think in this metaphor the armor is the tank and the warforged are the terminators.

Yeah, I know. I am saying Power Armors/Tanks have no intelligence so they can't argue or debate about an order unlike Ironforged/Terminators.

Dec 26, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait, so you've not suffered for it from not being able to actively do your One of Class's Core Features by using your feats, which are supposed to be used to help you specialize you character and help you do better at the things you want to do, to shore up your weakness so you can use your class feature?

Look, if you have to spend feats to do a thing your class is meant to do well just to be able to do it at least adequately then the design is at least a little hosed.

As long as you keep wisdom at like at least 12-14 - which is not exactly an imposition buildwise and certainly not with three +2's kicking around - it's no big thing to even go without taking the extra ki feat if you wanted to focus on more base damage per attack. The difference is that you'd ideally take more abilities and forms that increase number of attacks like Flurry rather than ones that really want ki to fuel them like Greeting Fist.

I can't disagree with the general sentiment that they seem to be coming at this from a strange, wrongheaded perspective of considering 3E MAD as a thing that was desired to replicate when bard, druid, and ranger have str/dex versatility built in just like that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Doublehex posted:

Except, as far as I am aware, tanks are not sentient beings that can say no to a command. I would imagine that'd be the big draw of power armor.

I demand super anime prototype power armor that's better than the mass produced stuff later.

I'll paint it red if I have too!

I figured there would have to be a dude inside the armor. My character already has a robot buddy. He doesn't need one that can't talk - he's got enough trouble with his silent God thing.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait, so you've not suffered for it from not being able to actively do your One of Class's Core Features by using your feats, which are supposed to be used to help you specialize you character and help you do better at the things you want to do, to shore up your weakness so you can use your class feature?

Look, if you have to spend feats to do a thing your class is meant to do well just to be able to do it at least adequately then the design is at least a little hosed.

Not really. I mean, the Champion and especially the Epic feat for Ki are things I really want, and the Adventurer's 2 points has helped my 14-15 Wis Monk have plenty of Ki when she needs it. (We rolled stats. I forgot it was that high but it's only a +2 bonus. Hardly something I'd say I invested in, I have higher Str/Dex/Con)

And I don't intend to raise it with stats either, I just want to raise Str/Dex/Con. I mean, to me, I have a heck of a lot of Ki points. We don't fight often, but I've never ran out of Ki Points. If you run a bunch of combat encounters though, I can see you running out if you spend willy-nilly, but isn't that resource management part of the whole thing? I mean there's ways to get more, and you can totally make a Ki Focused build, I just didn't and don't have to. I can see doing something like lowering Con to build your Wis or, with the Overworld Lineage, Charisma, and relying on the crazy amount of AC and stuff you can get off of things like Temple Weapon Master instead of lots of HP or whatever.

It seems to be designed with this in mind, as a whole. If you don't want to use a lot of ki, pick a Deadly Secret that has a lot of power but weaker Ki Powers, and then you're fine.

01011001 posted:

As long as you keep wisdom at like at least 12-14 - which is not exactly an imposition buildwise and certainly not with three +2's kicking around - it's no big thing to even go without taking the extra ki feat if you wanted to focus on more base damage per attack. The difference is that you'd ideally take more abilities and forms that increase number of attacks like Flurry rather than ones that really want ki to fuel them like Greeting Fist.

This is true too. Flurry, for example, doesn't need your Ki to do awesome stuff. It just lets you do awesome stuff. Then, by taking forms that focus on doing things without Ki Powers, I can save all of my Ki for the base level powers, allowing me to take my pool and use it for a very long time. If I was using Temple Weapon Master or Burning Fortress, I'd probably have switched my Con and my Wisdom or something. Honestly Burning Fortress is the one I'm the least sure about. I guess you could use it as a super tanky, not very damaging monk with high Con/Dex/Wis due to how the damage is done.

I'm not saying I like MAD, but the way the monk is designed definitely lets you have multiple different styles of Monk just based on, essentially, which of the abilities you pick to focus on.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 12, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

Burning fortress's main ability scales in value with the number of enemies you have - against mooks, it's incredibly destructive. Against normal enemies either they miss you or it's free damage, both of which are good outcomes. The ki power is for the opposite situation from mooks, when you have one particular enemy who will stick around longer - get in there early and if they hit you, you use it and they're vulnerable for the rest of the encounter.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I just read a draft of something from 13 True Ways, and the one monster I suggested is now 4 monsters of varying level with a handful of campaign suggestions to use them, and they look incredibly deadly. I am very happy with these developments.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Simon has a new post on the Pelgrane blog, with a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the Shadows of Eldolan adventure cover. It's nice to see the art, but it's also valuable insight for artists who want to break into the fantasy illustration business. He starts with the artist selection process, and walks through the creative brief and the rounds of review and feedback from various stakeholders.

In case you haven't heard of Shadows of Eldolan.

waderockett fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 12, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

waderockett posted:

Simon has a new post on the Pelgrane blog, with a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the Shadows Over Eldolan adventure cover. It's nice to see the art, but it's also valuable insight for artists who want to break into the fantasy illustration business. He starts with the artist selection process, and walks through the creative brief and the rounds of review and feedback from various stakeholders.

In case you haven't heard of Shadows Over Eldolan.

This is really awesome, thanks for posting it. My skill level isn't anywhere near that but this is something I want to get into eventually, so it's cool to see the process step-by-step.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sounds to me like the dude who wants the power armour just wants some awesome glowing armour that lets him use the power of souls to thunderpunch bad dudes in to the sides of mountains. I can get behind this.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Doublehex posted:

I lead the party to a magical item inquirer, who informs the party that the crystal is a soul gem. I improved that soul gems are awesome arcane batteries, that usually fall into one of two types. One; they are either the less powerful, but more stable, portals to other worlds. Or they can be the more powerful, but more likely to go kablooie in a million different ways, version that actually contains a world within the crystal.

The players asked if they could remove the soul from the crystal. I said a big maaaybe, but only because to do so you would need to know the manner in which the soul gem in question was created. And considering soul gems can be really loving old, it is going to be really tough to figure that out.

And then the Paladin said he wants to use the soul gem to make a bad rear end power armor! Or animate a piece of armor a la Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist.

At this Ralph, our Warforged/Ironforged Rogue who was one of the first to be awakened by the Dwarves and helped negotiate the Ironforged's rights as sentient species, brought up the concern that this will, through a wide chain of events, start up an arms race between the races. Especially the Dwarves, who would want nothing more than to kick the Dark Elves out from Underhome.

Before you can get to the arms race story arc, there's the matter of whether the PCs can use the soul gem to make powered armor, and how. They've already won an item of great magical power which somehow can be used to bestow extraordinary abilities on ordinary material. Now the question is, what kind of raw material and processes can bind and channel the crystal's immense power into a usable suit of magic armor without, y'know, blowing the wearer up, or teleporting him to another universe, or worse?

If this armor's going to be REALLY amazing, I think some quests are in order. First they need to trace the origin and nature of their soul gem, so they don't blow themselves up when they try to make the armor -- that information might be archived in Horizon. Then they need to find an armorer of legendary skill (who, if I were the GM, would be imprisoned by giants), and find out from him or her what materials are needed and where to get them. (Metal from Moonwreck? Leather made from the hide of a mythical creature in the Queen's Wood?)

The armor's special abilities could come from the nature of the materials used. For example, if it's made of metal from Moonwreck, maybe it has gravitational effects, or can shed light. If unicorn leather is a component, maybe it enhances the paladin's healing abilities.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

waderockett posted:

Before you can get to the arms race story arc, there's the matter of whether the PCs can use the soul gem to make powered armor, and how. They've already won an item of great magical power which somehow can be used to bestow extraordinary abilities on ordinary material. Now the question is, what kind of raw material and processes can bind and channel the crystal's immense power into a usable suit of magic armor without, y'know, blowing the wearer up, or teleporting him to another universe, or worse?

If this armor's going to be REALLY amazing, I think some quests are in order. First they need to trace the origin and nature of their soul gem, so they don't blow themselves up when they try to make the armor -- that information might be archived in Horizon. Then they need to find an armorer of legendary skill (who, if I were the GM, would be imprisoned by giants), and find out from him or her what materials are needed and where to get them. (Metal from Moonwreck? Leather made from the hide of a mythical creature in the Queen's Wood?)

The armor's special abilities could come from the nature of the materials used. For example, if it's made of metal from Moonwreck, maybe it has gravitational effects, or can shed light. If unicorn leather is a component, maybe it enhances the paladin's healing abilities.

I loving LOVE THIS THREAD, THIS COMMUNITY, PELGRANE AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH 13th AGE

These are all great ideas Wade. I won't use the Giant idea, since that contradicts some hidden lore I have for my interpretation of the Dragon Empre (Hint: Dark Souls), but everything is one hell of a jumping point for this.

This campaign was gonna be short. I have a feeling my player just doubled its length.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

This is really awesome, thanks for posting it. My skill level isn't anywhere near that but this is something I want to get into eventually, so it's cool to see the process step-by-step.
I can't get over that goofy-looking zombie, it was better as a silhouette.

e: or the lamplighter staring blankly into space instead of turning her head to look at what she is doing

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 13, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Doublehex posted:

I loving LOVE THIS THREAD, THIS COMMUNITY, PELGRANE AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH 13th AGE

These are all great ideas Wade. I won't use the Giant idea, since that contradicts some hidden lore I have for my interpretation of the Dragon Empre (Hint: Dark Souls), but everything is one hell of a jumping point for this.

This campaign was gonna be short. I have a feeling my player just doubled its length.

Well you gotta give everyone else some cool poo poo too. It can't just be how Octavian got his bitching power armor and hung out with some scrubs who couldn't even kill a soul crystal golem without destroying the soul crystal first, which he did solo (while his stats were still laughably overpowered from not doing character gen properly).

Ok so I was overpowered for that bit, but my point stands: give us crazy destinies and we'll cheer you for it.

What would be real sweet is if it tied in with the whole Silent God thing. Maybe he's trapped in a soul crystal and that's why he can't speak?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Jackard posted:

e: or the lamplighter staring blankly into space instead of turning her head to look at what she is doing

I agree, I think it would look better if she was looking at the lamp instead of the reader.

I am going to be running a game of 13th age for some friends soon and its going to be the first game I GM. Is there any Particular things I should know about running 13th age that aren't in the book? My group doesn't have any proper front-line warrior types because they are dumb and some of them have expressed concern about this but from what I've seen it doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue, Am I right in this case?

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 13, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Jackard posted:

Yeah there's definitely some off things with it (I'm not real fond of the coloring of the flame) but eh. :v:

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Doublehex posted:

Well, as a shortcut I bet you could just bind the gem to the armor of the Wizard King and it would work great. I hear it's in the Imperial Armory in Axis.

VanSandman posted:

Well you gotta give everyone else some cool poo poo too.

That's part of my thinking with the ArmorQuest campaign -- the party adventures in exotic locations and deals with powerful beings to collect all the elements needed, so along the way everyone has a chance to do and get cool poo poo. That way by the time the paladin gets the armor he wants, everyone else has something equally awesome and unique to them.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Yeah there's definitely some off things with it (I'm not real fond of the coloring of the flame) but eh. :v:

Also, the foreground perspective and the background perspective are completely different. And the hook she's trying to hang the lantern on isn't the one that looks like it could hold the thing. And if the fire is all over the exterior of the lantern like that, won't it burn the lamp post? And and and :v:

e: ALso, if that's a 'long staff' either she's secretly Reed Richards or it's poking through a hole in her bathrobe, okay I'll stop now.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 13, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

That's part of my thinking with the ArmorQuest campaign -- the party adventures in exotic locations and deals with powerful beings to collect all the elements needed, so along the way everyone has a chance to do and get cool poo poo. That way by the time the paladin gets the armor he wants, everyone else has something equally awesome and unique to them.
Then at the end of the campaign, all the powerful magic items and weapons they've found will merge with the armor, the soulgem drawing the party's spirits together to fight a giant world-shattering threat Voltron-style.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Man Whore posted:

I agree, I think it would look better if she was looking at the lamp instead of the reader.

I am going to be running a game of 13th age for some friends soon and its going to be the first game I GM. Is there any Particular things I should know about running 13th age that aren't in the book? My group doesn't have any proper front-line warrior types because they are dumb and some of them have expressed concern about this but from what I've seen it doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue, Am I right in this case?

It's a pretty complete book. Something to note, I believe it was advice in this thread: make sure enemies outnumber the party in most encounters. Maybe not so much at the low end, but definitely from 3rd level onward. Trust me.

Second, the Wizard's charm person uses INT, not Charisma. This was confirmed errata.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man Whore posted:

If they're worried about not having a "tank", remind them that anyone can try to intercept an enemy that's moving past them, and disengaging from someone requires a roll (11+), so technically anyone can be the defensive guy.

e: also geez I've been using the Engagement/Intercept rules completely wrong. :doh:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 13, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

If they're worried about not having a "tank", remind them that anyone can try to intercept an enemy that's moving past them, and disengaging from someone requires a roll (11+), so technically anyone can be the defensive guy.
Only if they are not already engaged; can you really disengage while its not your turn?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jackard posted:

Only if they are not already engaged; can you really disengage while its not your turn?
No, but if you intercept someone then they have to make the roll to get away from you on their turn.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, but if you intercept someone then they have to make the roll to get away from you on their turn.
It was sort of a sticking point with Pathfinder friends; how are protectors supposed to fulfill their role when they are always engaged in the first place?

I don't remember it ever coming up in play, so :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Intercepting's only really come up once or twice in the short time I've been running the game, and that's just been the previous and current season of organized play. And the one time it's come up in a significant way was last session when they fought the siege tower.

Dec 26, 2012

Jackard posted:

It was sort of a sticking point with Pathfinder friends; how are protectors supposed to fulfill their role when they are always engaged in the first place?

I don't remember it ever coming up in play, so :shrug:

This is the point of the fighter's Shield Bash maneuver - it's a free pop-off, and with the feat you can pop the target off all allies. That way you can intercept them if they try to get back on again, or intercept a different target if that makes more sense at the time. 50/50 shot of getting an even to proc it, granted, but that's a different complaint.

I've only seen interception come up a few times outside of defense-oriented fighters because generally everyone who would be intercepting is engaged from the word go.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The rogue is good at it if they use their evasive strike, or even "harmless misdirection" (on a miss, intercept something worse!).

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Everyone duck and cover!

With a lot of the input from people a few pages back... there's a new OP!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Gonna close this one, if anyone needs anything from it PM or email me since quoting preserves formatting and whatnot.

• Locked thread