Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Either I'm retarded or and I can't seem to find a passage describing on how to actually scale monsters stats and abilities. Can anyone point out the relevant page? I feel like I went from "Look at this weird as poo poo table, for this type of encounter use this many level X monsters" but I seem to have completely missed how to give them the right stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
DIY Monsters are pages 252-255.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Jackard posted:

The binding on mine is already coming apart on page 112, without having had much use. Is it too late for a replacement?

Ironically this is where GGW's art is. He has failed to contain the Abyss :v:

Woah, weird, mine's doing the same thing at the same page. I thought it was just my fault for being a clumsy dummy and letting it get knocked around, but I hope it isn't a design flaw. Either way, I ordered a replacement copy, so as to keep my signed book from falling apart.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So as a thought experiment I turned the Rogue into a Dragoon.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UNuo2dmw-9_6U5_5N2dR0A7h9WvtaVqxayVslESyG40/edit?usp=sharing

A couple mechanical tweaks had to be made, mostly shifting ability scores to make Leap Attack and removing the weapon requirement to make Breath Beam. The Rogue "Trap Sense" just didn't work, so it got replaced with a narrative effect ability like Swashbuckle.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
So, I ran 13th Age for a couple of friends of mine today, and it was a blast! I ended up modifying the adventure in the back of the book using several in-jokes we'd developed over the years, but everyone got their chance to shine. Working in some of the icon relationships and One Unique Things was pretty awesome, and everyone seemed to like that the fights were both exciting and not dragged out (the highest the escalation die ever got was 4, and that was party because one of the characters was a Cleric with the War Domain).

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

-Fish- posted:

So as a thought experiment I turned the Rogue into a Dragoon.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UNuo2dmw-9_6U5_5N2dR0A7h9WvtaVqxayVslESyG40/edit?usp=sharing

A couple mechanical tweaks had to be made, mostly shifting ability scores to make Leap Attack and removing the weapon requirement to make Breath Beam. The Rogue "Trap Sense" just didn't work, so it got replaced with a narrative effect ability like Swashbuckle.

You've only assigned 7/8 background points and Dragon Magic looks like it could do with a few restrictions but otherwise it seems sound. I'd probably tweak dragon magic to go for something a bit closer to the way Avatar: The Last Airbender does it, where your elemental power is linked to another action, so you can add fire damage to your sword, or ice to a sweeping kick in order to knock an enemy over. That way you have some sort of roll in order to do bigger effects. It could scale in terms of damage per level like a spell, so you would have to wait before you could properly create a wildfire.

If you prefer to have it be similar to swashbuckle then you might want to just tone down the example effects, at least at a low level. Otherwise you've basically got someone who, once per day can do anything a sorcerer can for free.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Pyradox posted:

Otherwise you've basically got someone who, once per day can do anything a sorcerer can for free.

That's actually a fair description of the intended effect, with a few minor limitations.

It shares the mechanical restrictions of Swashbuckle wherein it rarely has any mechanical effect, and doing extra damage as an effect is strongly discouraged. I realize this wording was not included in the description and that's being corrected.

Another limitation which wasn't spelled out was that the Dragoon would have a single element to use depending on which kind of Dragon they have affinity with. Someone with affinity to a White Dragon would have ice, a Gold Dragon would have fire, a Void Dragon would have... Gravity? Antimatter? Hypermagnetism? Whatever weird element it is that Void Dragons toss around.
That's not explicitly spelled out on the sheet, although if I ever did a full conversion of the entire Rogue package it'd be spelled out in the class writeup.

So yeah, you could probably look at it as being a sorcerer once per day. But only if that sorcerer is limited only to chucking thunder around ever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

-Fish- posted:

a Void Dragon would have... Gravity? Antimatter? Hypermagnetism? Whatever weird element it is that Void Dragons toss around.
Now you have me wondering how a fantasy character would make use of a magical Vacuum

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
They'd use it to clean his magical mansion, of course.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

-Fish- posted:

Another limitation which wasn't spelled out was that the Dragoon would have a single element to use depending on which kind of Dragon they have affinity with. Someone with affinity to a White Dragon would have ice, a Gold Dragon would have fire, a Void Dragon would have... Gravity? Antimatter? Hypermagnetism?

Force, effectively. Expand the void between objects to push them away from one another. gently caress physics it's magic.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I happen to run into this homebrew class. It's essentially an attempt of making a more complicated barbarian. I haven't read all the way through it yet, but it seems ok so far. I don't think its done yet since only one of the frenzies (this classes' version of spells or maneuvers) has scaling effects for higher levels. Though maybe that's intentional.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

The binding on mine is already coming apart on page 112, without having had much use. Is it too late for a replacement?

Ironically this is where GGW's art is. He has failed to contain the Abyss :v:

Man!

Pretty much any questions about your order -- status updates, defective books, damaged copies -- should go to Cat Tobin at support@dyingearth.com.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

In the further vein of complicated Barbarians, I threw these talents together. I tried to keep them generally in line with the normal talents and each option within the talent generally in line with each other, but it's late and I'd like some feedback on whether or not I accomplished that. I also tried to get each one to encourage a specific playstyle (Hotblooded being to get stuck in with as many foes as possible, Stormlord to leap around like a pinball).

Hot Blooded:
During a short rest, choose one of the following:
-Firesoul: You have resist Fire 12+ all the time, and deal +CON fire damage with barbarian melee or thrown attacks while raging
-Magma Heart: Whenever you spend a recovery, deal CON mod (2xCon Champ, 3xCon Epic) fire damage to all engaged enemies
-Scorcher: Gain the following power:
Scorch (1/encounter, Quick Action)
Attack: Level+CON vs. PD
Target: Engaged enemies
Hit: 5+CON ongoing Fire damage (10 champ, 20 epic)
Miss: [Level] Fire damage

Adv feat: 1/day when you hit an enemy with a barbarian melee attack while raging, additionally deal ongoing Fire damage as if you’d hit them with the Scorch attack
Champ feat: 1/day after an enemy attack drops you to Staggered or below, make the Scorch attack as a free action regardless of your chosen option
Epic feat: You get the a 1/day cast of the Fireball spell at your level or below, use CON as the attack stat, and always cast it Recklessly

Stormlord:

During a short rest, choose one of the following:
-Lightning Fast: You have resist Lightning 12+ all the time, and while raging you gain +DEX to all defenses against Opportunity Attacks
-Static: While Staggered, you deal DEX mod (2xDex Champ, 3xDex Epic) Lightning damage to every enemy engaged with you at the end of your turn
-Voltaic Arc: Gain the following power:
Arc (1/encounter, free action when you hit an enemy with a barbarian melee or thrown attack)
Target: 1 enemy nearby the target of the triggering attack
Attack: Level+Dex vs. PD
Hit: Level*1d6+Dex Lightning damage
Miss: [Level] Lightning damage

Adv feat: 1/day as a free action during your turn, take a move action
Champ feat: If you have Voltaic Arc as your option, it is not expended if you’re raging and the triggering attack brings the target to 0 HP or below. If you do not have Voltaic Arc as your option, gain twice your level (3xLevel when Epic) in temp HP each time you engage an enemy you were not engaged with at the start of your turn.
Epic feat: 1/battle while raging, you may teleport into engagement with a nearby enemy as a move action. After the teleport, deal 2*Level Lightning damage to each engaged enemy.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Jackard posted:

Surprised how much easier it was to use a complicated program like Scribus over OpenOffice. Came up with this in a day:

Looks good! I will be swiping this.

Also, the 'void' in 'void dragon' refers to the 'creative void', or the primordial chaos from which many mythologies believe someone made stuff. Don't think so much void "nothing" as it is void "no-thing". Note how it creates monsters from its breath.

Or to use an Earthbound reference, 'you can not comprehend the true nature of the <void dragon's> attack."

edit: DTAS hit Page XX

RyvenCedrylle fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 24, 2013

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Page XX also has a pretty good article on why we should back the Tome of Races indiegogo... Which closed a week or two ago.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

-Fish- posted:

Page XX also has a pretty good article on why we should back the Tome of Races indiegogo... Which closed a week or two ago.

Without reaching its funding goal. It was pretty unrealistic anyway, not sure I would want to pay that sort of price for a 96 page pdf.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I feel as if I'm missing something about the setting, since I don't remember a thing about the void dragon. It's actually one of my biggest complaints about how the book is laid out, in that I wish the history and setting were the first thing in the book, instead of just dumping the Icons at the players without any sort of context about how their role in the setting or the game. Even then, a lot of things seem to be hinted at, like the whole reign of the Wizard King or what happened with The White, and I realize that some of it is supposed to be filled in by the GM, but those seeds aren't really organized in a useful way for me.

I seem to be the only person to actually mention this though so maybe I'm alone in this, but sometimes I look to the internet for validation :unsmith:

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Void Dragon is a monster in the Bestiary.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Do they allow you to update these articles?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

We got another new class in Page XX too.

The Elementalist

I think I'm in love with this class. Most of its daily powers essentially grant it encounter-long element-infused melee attacks, class features grant these cool elemental evocations. AC is a bit low, but the ability to have resist 12 (and later 16) to up to 3 damage types including untyped majorly shore up the handful of lacking points. Str/Dex primary with Wis secondary means you'll have the ability modifiers to balance the lack of usage of heavy armor too.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

I added Jackard's DTAS character sheet to the Resources page with a link to Ryven's article.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Ordered the Bestiary this morning and it gave me perfect inspiration for not just tomorrow's session but so much more for the rest of my campaign. I was surprised to see just how much some of the monsters had changed from the Playtest Tranche to this version - one of the monsters I've already used has jumped up 6 levels and become significantly less annoying (marble golem, FWIW).

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
In the summer of 2012 I ran a session with the playtest packet for the ladies that would be my wife, maid of honor, and wedding officiant in the summer of 2013. One of them doodled everyone's characters but those pictures were lost. Now, she's redrawn them and I'm going to show them off to you.

A dragon bard who was really bad at both barding and dragonry. Everyone had the good sense to keep that to themselves or face harsh consequences.

Twelve-legs Stacy, celebrity chef. She earned her nickname through her skill at dressing the twelve-legged Grunkle-beast at record speeds.

Olga the half-orc brawler. She was a kind and gentle soul that really loved smashing poo poo. Any smash opportunity was taken with adorable enthusiasm. Olga is now a semi-notable NPC in my regular campaign.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

General Ironicus posted:

Olga the half-orc brawler. She was a kind and gentle soul that really loved smashing poo poo. Any smash opportunity was taken with adorable enthusiasm. Olga is now a semi-notable NPC in my regular campaign.

now I feel kinda bad for what we did to her livelihood

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I plan on running a campaign for some roleplaying newbies (and one veteran) with this system. The first session will use an adaptation of the blood & lightning adventure. I'm just wondering if there is any don'ts I should know.

Also, my players felt the default setting was a little bland and they wanted something more out there. They all asked for some conflicting stuff. So I haven't shown it to them yet, but I did work on a little bit of some homebrew setting stuff. I didn't write alot of it down since I plan on giving my players room to shape the world, but I did write some stuff down in relation to the custom icons. Its not really well formatted or professionally, its just a note sheet. I'm just wondering if it looks like anyone would have fun playing in a solar system run by these people.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You guys: redcaps are the best monsters in the history of forever. My players figured out the bad word in the first round and they were still saying it on the fifth round and raising a general outcry whenever it got said.

(It was "attack." My brother suggested "gently caress," which in hindsight would have worked just as well.)

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
I hadn't ever heard of Redcaps until relatively recently and when I did I thought they were lame and there was no way I would ever use them in a game. But when I saw the Bestiary write up for them that changed in an instant. They are like something from a cheesy horror movie like Leprechaun which is awesome. I also would normally hate something as ridiculously metagamey as the "badword" but the way they do it is hilarious and in keeping with the tone of the write up.

Really, the whole Bestiary is fantastic. Instead of just being a boring re-hash of the standard D&D monsters it might be the best monster manual ever.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The Crimsoncaps "Nasty" special ability (the double badword) is awesomely named:

F*** T*** ;)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I agree 100% on the love for the Bestiary. Just about every monster in there is flavorful. Got to the entry on Intellect Devourers, which I thought would bore me, and they have become my new favorite monster.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Running a one-shot for Ash Law and Thedandmom. They're working for The Crusader to assassinate a young metallic dragon in order to send a message to her mother. So far they've adopted a pair of goblins, then set them on fire and beat them to death for two gold pieces.

Edit: And now they've crashed the economy.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 27, 2013

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

-Fish- posted:

Edit: And now they've crashed the economy.

Did they pick every scale off the corpse of said metallic dragon and just drop them into the laps of anyone who'd pay?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

ArkInBlack posted:

Did they pick every scale off the corpse of said metallic dragon and just drop them into the laps of anyone who'd pay?

Yes and no. The Dragon was a prominent artist in her human guise. They used the money from the components to buy up as much of her art as could be found, and are now preparing to break a talented forger out of jail to flood the market with imitations. Demand for her work will skyrocket following hee unfortunate death at the hands of the Dragon, which our heroes valiantly slayed.

QuinnMurphy
Oct 5, 2012
Hey all,

I try not to spam every single update we do on Thoughtcrime, but there is a huge glut of stuff that I think you might be interested in.

First, a new Worldbreaker!! Yenee of the Waves is an adorable, cute, unstoppable hydrokinetic spirit:

http://www.thoughtcrimegames.net/worldbreakers-of-the-schism-yenee-of-the-waves/

Pay attention to the threaten mechanic, as it's pretty drat portable.

Next, I've written a series on hacking 13th Age. I discuss what the game is/isn't in relation to other d20 games, and give examples of places where it possible to hack and improv.

Parts 1 to 3:

http://www.thoughtcrimegames.net/hacking-the-13th-age-what-13th-age-is-not/
http://www.thoughtcrimegames.net/hacking-the-13th-age-what-13th-age-is/
http://www.thoughtcrimegames.net/hacking-the-13th-age-places-to-start/

I hope you enjoy! Also, let me know what you might like to see on 13th Age. Some things I want to cover in the next few weeks:

Custom classes
- Psionicist (name change pending, uses playing cards)
- Summoner (uses relationship dice hack to manage summons)
Character Mentors (special relationship type)
Icon Agendas (merge AW fronts with Icons!)
More ephemera (wealth, take two on injuries system)

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I like the threaten mechanic but one of the threats has a mechanic I don't like very much, namely the tidal wave. Taking half damage from melee attacks is pretty pointless if it can't be engaged, since you can only make melee attacks against engaged enemies. I get the point, flavor wise (it does seem silly to stop a tidal wave with a sword), but there's no penalty to trying to stop a tidal wave with a bow and arrow. Either make it immune to conventional weapons and add in some way for characters who use such to affect it (setting up walls, diverting it somehow, etc) or just accept that only spellcasters can mess with it and embrace the 3e. The fear threshold is also pretty pointless because again fear only affects engaged enemies, I'm fairly certain.

The children of the sea might need some numbers balancing because they seem pretty harsh. They're mooks you have to clear in two turns but their at-will attack against PD weakens. That's rough. (Also, the weaken needs a "end of turn" or "save ends" to tell when it's going off.)

Other than the mechanical quibbles, however, I really like the concept and think it plays particularly well with 13th age.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I am very sad to see the "Soul Flenser" removed from the Bestiary. :(

QuinnMurphy
Oct 5, 2012

Zarick posted:

I like the threaten mechanic but one of the threats has a mechanic I don't like very much, namely the tidal wave. Taking half damage from melee attacks is pretty pointless if it can't be engaged, since you can only make melee attacks against engaged enemies. I get the point, flavor wise (it does seem silly to stop a tidal wave with a sword), but there's no penalty to trying to stop a tidal wave with a bow and arrow. Either make it immune to conventional weapons and add in some way for characters who use such to affect it (setting up walls, diverting it somehow, etc) or just accept that only spellcasters can mess with it and embrace the 3e. The fear threshold is also pretty pointless because again fear only affects engaged enemies, I'm fairly certain.

The children of the sea might need some numbers balancing because they seem pretty harsh. They're mooks you have to clear in two turns but their at-will attack against PD weakens. That's rough. (Also, the weaken needs a "end of turn" or "save ends" to tell when it's going off.)

Other than the mechanical quibbles, however, I really like the concept and think it plays particularly well with 13th age.

All fair stuff. The monsters on the blog are usually just rough sketches and most don't have playtesting. What I think is portable about threaten is the timer effect and how it makes that leap off the numbers and into the fiction. Lots of ways to use that in 13th Age!

Glad you liked! When I make another pass on this I'll keep all this in mind. Thanks!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Having beaten it into submission, my players have hauled a piece of a dead/semi-dead thing (some call it a god, some call it a demon) out of its ancient prison and have set out to find a more permanent solution to the evil dead god problem. After looking over the map and debating, we've decided that the best way is to drag it to High Dock, lasso a flying island, and sail down to the Magma Keeps to try dunking it into lava (the alternate disposal methods I threw out were to seek out the Ur-Otyugh which can eat anything or to try and get the Black to dissolve it, but I was open to any plan).

Also, the encounter with the god-piece proved that it's technically possible to have an encounter where the party is level 4 (though with a barrel of incrementals) versus a 10th level monster. I mostly gave it stats as a just-in-case, but I didn't actually have any set idea on how to get rid of it and the party decided to fight it as their first step. I felt kind of bad telling the people who targeted AC that their good rolls still missed, but it was still seemed pretty fair since it didn't actually have all that much health and there was a more level-appropriate guy in the fight that needed regular stabbing.

When a fight has only a couple monsters, I find I need to give them guaranteed damage of some kind. The god-piece did hefty miss damage (which wasn't wholly necessary since being level 10 and attacking PD it could've hit a couple people while rolling negative numbers) while the other guy had a multi-hit attack (if the first attack roll was even, hit or miss, it triggered the secondary poison attack) and also had an auto-damage aura.

Also making its appearance this session was a monster that constantly spawned mooks, which turned out not overpowered at all, and in fact I might need to beef it up next time. One attack was pretty much wiping out each wave, though it was also one attack that didn't hit the spawner so they served their purpose.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mind throwing up the stats for that god thingy? I'm interested in how you made that work.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

It's nothing too tricky. It was a giant severed hand and forearm suspended by chains, so it didn't do much moving around and mostly just blindly vomited entropic gases at the party (it had a mouth in the center of its palm).

Anchor Fragment One
Level 10 Caster
Init +12

C: Entropy Ray (1d3+2 nearby enemies in a group or rough line) +15 vs PD – 15 Negative Energy damage
Natural 16+: 5 ongoing Poison
Miss: 7 damage

Crush +15 vs. AC – 44 damage
Natural even hit or miss: +20 damage

(Usable up to the Escalation Die times per round) Flailing chains: While the Fragment is staggered, whenever a nearby enemy rolls a 5 or less on an attack, make the following attack:
C: Chain Whip (triggering enemy) +15 vs. AC – 15 damage

AC 26
PD 20 HP 216
MD 24

Might be a bit more overwhelming without a sorcerer, cleric, and bard throwing PD targetting attacks at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So I just finished the final session of a campaign for the first time ever. Ryven Cedrylle and Thedandmom started in... sometime this last winter, running a game set in The Elder Scrolls universe using 13th Age. Really good ending, got to do a "happily ever after" type of thing. Also the players briefly became cosmic beings whose bodies were created en masse from collected star matter to battle an immortal universe-devouring uber-daedra. So that was a thing.

• Locked thread