Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A 1 does actually have an effect in 13th Age, different than other numbers that miss. At least for attacks that deal damage on a miss. A 1 deals no damage on a miss.

Unless I am mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You are correct, and also a 1 rolled when shooting engaged characters means you hit one of your allies.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
The way I read the rule it's supposed to be like rolling a 6 or less in Dungeon World; your intended effect doesn't happen and you also get something else that is overall detrimental.

Maybe if a caster rolls a 1 it gives an enemy they really don't want to be engaged with a chance to engage them. Maybe it means the fighter trips and falls flat on their rear end (Stuck would probably work to imitate being knocked prone pretty well). Maybe it means their swing misses so badly they accidentally hit an ally. There's all sorts of nasty stuff that can happen on a fumble, it's just up to your DM's imagination/mood/cruelty.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

You are correct, and also a 1 rolled when shooting engaged characters means you hit one of your allies.
Well, you reroll the attack with your ally as the target. Probably as fair as "shoot a guy lol you hit Bill" ever gets.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Oh, do you? It only ever actually came up once for us in a one-shot so I'm not very familiar with it. My group is almost entirely melee except for our sorcerer who tends toward close attacks anyway. That seems a lot fairer than "haha, you rolled a 1, you killed your pal."

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm thinking in the veins of the rulebook going over background/"skill"-checks where you can "fail forwards". Your cursed dude gets that locked door open with his "1",
and the room inside just happen to be
1) The guard room
2) Is just having a guard change so now there's twice the amount of guards inside.
3) :dealwithit:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Earthorn posted:

Glad the Stalwart was a hit with your group!

I may revise the class write-up to replace the "playstyle" section with the bolded.

Based on your comments, I'm hoping you're the author of the Stalwart, and I had a question. Under the Stalwart Stats section, you list it getting (7 + Con Mod) base HP, but in the Level Progression chart you list it as 8 base. To add to my confusion the Colossal Stamina talent says that it raises HP/level to 8 base.

If the base HP without the talent is 7, that gives you lower HP per level than a fighter or paladin, with lower defenses and abilities keyed off of getting hit, which assumes you need to be able to survive hits. Is the correct base 7 upgraded to 8 by the talent, or 8 upgraded to 9 by the talent?

I have a player who seems interested in trying it out, and I would defer to you before mucking about untested stats.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

SageNytell posted:

Based on your comments, I'm hoping you're the author of the Stalwart, and I had a question. Under the Stalwart Stats section, you list it getting (7 + Con Mod) base HP, but in the Level Progression chart you list it as 8 base. To add to my confusion the Colossal Stamina talent says that it raises HP/level to 8 base.

If the base HP without the talent is 7, that gives you lower HP per level than a fighter or paladin, with lower defenses and abilities keyed off of getting hit, which assumes you need to be able to survive hits. Is the correct base 7 upgraded to 8 by the talent, or 8 upgraded to 9 by the talent?

I have a player who seems interested in trying it out, and I would defer to you before mucking about untested stats.

Yep, I'm the author.

Base HP is indeed 7. The Stalwart can be very durable, but at base they (like the Barbarian) are more fragile than the Fighter and Paladin. Investing in some of the defensive talents (Colossal Stamina and Legion of One) and powers (Indomitable, Divine Stamina, Unfinished Story, Bat Aside)is probably a good idea unless you are in a healer-heavy party, in which case a full-offense Stalwart might be a lot of fun.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

If the Stalwart can make melee attacks wielding enemies as melee weapons, does the Sky Blade attack allow a Stalwart to use an Orc as a boomerang?

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

-Fish- posted:

If the Stalwart can make melee attacks wielding enemies as melee weapons, does the Sky Blade attack allow a Stalwart to use an Orc as a boomerang?

I was actually wondering this the other day and I have to say, I'd be rather disappointed if the answer was anything but yes.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

-Fish- posted:

It does if your GM is rad enough.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It does if your GM is rad enough.

I think it would be a Cardinal Sin, as a DM, to refuse.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

-Fish- posted:

Well...
Sky Blade let's you make a "boomerang" throw with any weapon at multiple enemies.
Batter let's you use an enemy as a weapon against a group of enemies.
So,

I certainly hope your GM would let you combine their use!

That being said, it sort of makes me wish the Stalwart simply had a talent/feature that spelled out letting you use a grabbed creature you can move as a weapon.

Earthorn fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 18, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm running Blood and Lightning for some friends tomorrow after my last disastrous attempt at running. I've got a general idea of what I want to do but I'm hoping some of you guys have tips for a GM whose previous experience is a few very poorly thought out 4e games. It goes without saying that if I mention anything specific and spoiler tag it, Mimir, don't read it. Like so:

As far as I can tell this game really depends on character icon relationships to develop backstory/set the stage for future events. The one character we have so far is a pagan barb. His OUT is that he's the sole survivor from a clan who follows the High Druid's traditions, after the Emperor razed his town to get at the primal energy site nearby. This indicates to me that the Emperor is a more ambiguous figure than the default setting would seem to imply, and that the Druid is gonna be important...IF Angus rolls a 5 or a 6 on his relationship dice tomorrow. Positive dice I get; he's got 2 points with the High Druid so on a 6 Druids show up and recognize him at some point, for positive effect, and on a 5 he gets a benefit but has to work to avoid the associated complications. What the hell do negative/conflicted 5s and 6s do?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Captain Walker posted:

I'm running Blood and Lightning for some friends tomorrow after my last disastrous attempt at running. I've got a general idea of what I want to do but I'm hoping some of you guys have tips for a GM whose previous experience is a few very poorly thought out 4e games. It goes without saying that if I mention anything specific and spoiler tag it, Mimir, don't read it. Like so:

As far as I can tell this game really depends on character icon relationships to develop backstory/set the stage for future events. The one character we have so far is a pagan barb. His OUT is that he's the sole survivor from a clan who follows the High Druid's traditions, after the Emperor razed his town to get at the primal energy site nearby. This indicates to me that the Emperor is a more ambiguous figure than the default setting would seem to imply, and that the Druid is gonna be important...IF Angus rolls a 5 or a 6 on his relationship dice tomorrow. Positive dice I get; he's got 2 points with the High Druid so on a 6 Druids show up and recognize him at some point, for positive effect, and on a 5 he gets a benefit but has to work to avoid the associated complications. What the hell do negative/conflicted 5s and 6s do?

With a negative, you can either make the icon's folks mad at you or get help from enemies of the icon. I used a Negative 6 with the Diabolist to get help from the Crusader's guys for example.

Conflicted is a bit more complicated. From what I can tell, you can go either way with it, but they might not trust you for whatever reason or not provide as much help.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
New character class going up on my blog Friday morning. Figured I'd give you all the early release (as it were). As usual, beware of Google's inability to render colors correctly. Download for best effect.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RyvenCedrylle posted:

New character class going up on my blog Friday morning. Figured I'd give you all the early release (as it were). As usual, beware of Google's inability to render colors correctly. Download for best effect.
Return of the 4e Swordmage? It has arcane shield, bonded weapon and the possibility of teleportation.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 19, 2013

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Jackard posted:

Return of the 4e Swordmage? It has arcane shield, bonded weapon and the possibility of teleportation.

More or less, yes.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

More or less, yes.

Looks good Ryven! :) I love the emotional bond with the weapon.

Want me to post it on the Vault for you tomorrow, or do you wanna do it yourself?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

I'll get it. I need to clarify in the Vault entry that it's a fork of Lawrence's old Bladesinger design that eventually became the Eldritch Knight. Credit where credit is due and all.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Skimmed it last night, looks sweet. Inspiring me to get off my rear end and work on a custom class of my own.

Naturally, said custom class will be none other than the Seeker, because I do love an uphill battle, but I'll not hijack discussion of your custom class with mine before I even have anything posted.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Captain Walker posted:

Skimmed it last night, looks sweet. Inspiring me to get off my rear end and work on a custom class of my own.

Naturally, said custom class will be none other than the Seeker, because I do love an uphill battle, but I'll not hijack discussion of your custom class with mine before I even have anything posted.

Look at it this way. You can't do worse than WotC did.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

-Fish- posted:

Look at it this way. You can't do worse than WotC did.

Let's hope so!

I was thinking some sort of hybrid of the Green Arrow trick-shot archer (as seen in the 4e hunter) and the classic arcane archer, with a dose of primal flavor. Maybe a mix of flexible ranged attacks and primal spells, like a ranged Bard? Probably waiting until the Druid comes out so we know how primal casters work in 13th Age.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Working on a class myself, built around calling up spirits. The class can call ancient spirits into herself and use their experience and power to augment her battlefield skills, and some also augment her abilities outside of combat.
It's almost in a playable state, have everything except the progression table and about half the feats done.
There's about fifteen spirits, some of which function as Class Features, some of which are akin to Fighter Stances or Barbarian Rages from 4e.
Should have a playable version before Christmas. Really excited to show it to you guys!

Edit: Can't. Stop. Writing. First draft may be done by Sunday.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 20, 2013

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

-Fish- posted:

Working on a class myself, built around calling up spirits. The class can call ancient spirits into herself and use their experience and power to augment her battlefield skills, and some also augment her abilities outside of combat.
It's almost in a playable state, have everything except the progression table and about half the feats done.
There's about fifteen spirits, some of which function as Class Features, some of which are akin to Fighter Stances or Barbarian Rages from 4e.
Should have a playable version before Christmas. Really excited to show it to you guys!

Edit: Can't. Stop. Writing. First draft may be done by Sunday.

sounds pretty good! one bit of advice I have is to try to keep it elegant and unique. for example, one of my big problems with the Alchemist is that at tenth level you have thirteen formulas, which in a game as well organized as 13a just seems kinda messy.

in addition, most of the formulas act exactly the same as reskinned spells, which I understand for simplicity, but in practice makes the class a bit dull for me. so, I think it'd be a good idea to consider ways to make spirits play differently from spells, especially those of the Cleric and the power words and sigils of the Dilettante and Eldritch Knight which have a similar self-buffing purpose.

for example, a spirit is a sentient being, separate from the player character, so maybe some are more stubborn than others and demand the player do certain things or else banish themselves, like attack every turn. that could be based on the existing Quirks from magic items, too. or, maybe a spirit has its own "currency" of spiritual power that binds them to the player, and when it is consumed, they disappear; 1 spirit point to use this power, 2 spirit points to halve the power of an incoming attack, etc. there are a lot of ways to go about it, and for all I know I'm preaching to the choir and you already have a good system. maybe I'm just secretly thinking out loud for my own class idea. thing.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This is going really, really well. I have nine feats left to write and the first draft of the class is done. At this rate you guys will be able to check out the Eldcaller this very night!

Edit: Make that 3 feats.

Edit Frenzy: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ItTG9u9tNcct8L0LkDT7JA2peyQ4nygdkLXyJtSS0h8/edit?usp=sharing Here's the rough draft. Wording and formatting is still in rough draft modem, all mechanics are tentative. Still in the process of writing fluff.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 20, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

RyvenCedrylle posted:

More or less, yes.
Isn't the champion feat for Bonded Weapon kind of unspectacular?

Also, what's the problem with just straight-up giving them Ritual Magic as a class feature? This Amateur Ritualist option (as one of three possible talents) looks like absolute garbage.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 22, 2013

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Jackard posted:

Also, what's the problem with just straight-up giving them Ritual Magic as a class feature? This Amateur Ritualist option (as one of three possible talents) looks like absolute garbage.

I ran a game over the weekend and one of my players opted for the Amateur Ritualist talent; it seemed like they had fun with it, even when they succeeded with a problem (they used Fracture to break a demon mirror and rolled odd, resulting in a bit of the mirror to embed itself in them).

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Icecream Jane posted:

I ran a game over the weekend and one of my players opted for the Amateur Ritualist talent; it seemed like they had fun with it, even when they succeeded with a problem (they used Fracture to break a demon mirror and rolled odd, resulting in a bit of the mirror to embed itself in them).

As that player, some notes on the Dilettante:

Amateur ritualist was pretty neat, it gave me a bunch of flexibility in actions. Succeed with problems 50% of successes is pretty harsh, but so long as your GM has cool consequences for when that happens it's not too bad.

Been There, Done That looks really underpowered as a talent option. A +1 bonus is quite small and most skill checks (in my games, anyway) have some sort of background applicability. Evasive Focus also seemed subpar; most of the good rogue powers require sneak attack or momentum. I'd love to grab bleeding strike (third level rogue power), but you can't get that until fifth level with Evasive Focus which makes it much less attractive.

A lot of the first level Dilettante stuff needs the escalation die to be at least 2 or 3 to be really useful (spell diffusion, both 1st level invocations). If your GM runs lots of short fights those things are much less useful.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 22, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Rogue0071 posted:

Evasive Focus also seemed subpar; most of the good rogue powers require sneak attack or momentum. I'd love to grab bleeding strike (third level rogue power), but you can't get that until fifth level with Evasive Focus.
Looks like I misread this, I thought the Focus borrowed talents from other classes. How do you gain the staple Swordmage teleportation without something like Shadow Walk?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Jackard posted:

Looks like I misread this. How do you gain the staple Swordmage teleportation without something like Shadow Walk?

The Focus talents let you grab powers (or spells for the Mage one), Shadow Walk is a talent.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea, without talents how would you simulate the three different Swordmage gimmicks, Assault/Shielding/Ensnaring?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 22, 2013

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Thanks for all the feedback! So! Addressing things.

Jackard posted:

Bonded weapon feat - depends on the campaign. I've played in games where that would be both golden and absolute crap. It runs more on the useful side for my games since there's a lot of stunts and disarms. YMMV.

Amateur Ritualist isn't really that much different than Ritualist since the ritual rules themselves state that a failure should be treated as 'success with complications' for all rituals. If full Wizards can cast Rituals with effectiveness "x", people merely dabbling in magic should be at "<x" effectiveness. You won't break anything giving a Dilettant Ritualist but it feels wrong in the flavor to me.

Icecream Jane posted:

YES. THAT.

Rogue0071 posted:

Been There, Done That looks really underpowered as a talent option. A +1 bonus is quite small and most skill checks (in my games, anyway) have some sort of background applicability. Evasive Focus also seemed subpar; most of the good rogue powers require sneak attack or momentum. I'd love to grab bleeding strike (third level rogue power), but you can't get that until fifth level with Evasive Focus which makes it much less attractive.

A lot of the first level Dilettante stuff needs the escalation die to be at least 2 or 3 to be really useful (spell diffusion, both 1st level invocations). If your GM runs lots of short fights those things are much less useful.

Except that if I showed you a Background that said "Jack-of-all-trades +2" you can and should give me the sideye. +1 is about as far as one should go with an "I can do everything" background. I'll keep thinking about it since you're not wrong, but I'm not likely to change it anytime soon.

Having access to all the Rogue's best powers really steps on the Rogue's toes since that's what the Rogue has going for it. However, you still get access to Evasive Strike and Tumbling Strike (and Deadly Thrust) at Lv 1 which plays into the whole Evasive theme. The real meat of that talent is that now you hit off Dex which means you can jack your Dex and Con (or Wis) through the roof and be walking around with a 17 AC, +4 init (and up to 33 HP!) at level 1. Dex hit and damage rules supreme in 13th Age. The Rogue power is gravy.

As to the Invocations, yes.. sort of. I mean Song of Steel cast at the start of your second turn gives you +2 this go-round and +4 the next. That's nothing to sneeze at. I could see Heart of the Blade being a little unimpressive if your team is mopping up fights in one or two rounds - fair enough - but at that point clearly you have no further need of alpha-striking. The Dilettante is a controller with a side of striker to use the 4E parlance.

Spell Diffusion definitely plays the long game. There might be an Adventurer feat in there to help it a little but its intent is for dealing with second-wave threats or things that have boosts when staggered. You just have to be ok with that going in. edit: Adv Feat - roll the d6 at the start of combat and then negate one spell when the escalation die hits that value or higher?

Jackard posted:

Yea, without talents how would you simulate the three different Swordmage gimmicks, Assault/Shielding/Ensnaring?

You don't. I've yet to see an implementation of those gimmicks I liked and several iterations of my own attempts weren't satisfactory. I just pitched them. Teleportation in 13th Age is not the boon it was in 4E. The Stumble and Shove power words are the spiritual nod to the Swordmage marks in that they play with the positioning and stickiness of allies and enemies.

RyvenCedrylle fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 23, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So will we be getting any posts or comments on how the Monk and Commander playtest is shaping up or will we just have to wait til the next packet is released?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My Wizard player has the "Counter-Magic" ability from the High Arcana talent, but almost no monster descriptions indicate attacks as "spells". Am I missing something or is it a DM judgement call? I've gone with "rule of cool" and let him strangle a dragon's breath weapon in it's throat but maybe I'm understanding wrong.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Just got to try out the Martial Artist class that was posted by RyvenCedrylle and I had fun with it. Hidden Mysteries is a must because the big bad evil had the plot macguffin and is going to teleport away? Not on my watch. Just describe in a cool way how you jump over a table kick a chair across a room to make him lose that item then roll for it!

Yeah I was using my Qi points a lot during the one shot but it was fun and important since the Qi feat allows you to recharge after a recovery so you can execute the perfect use of your form. So you can have that dramatic kung fu movie moment of getting beaten up, but then it's time for you to do your counter attack.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

LongDarkNight posted:

My Wizard player has the "Counter-Magic" ability from the High Arcana talent, but almost no monster descriptions indicate attacks as "spells". Am I missing something or is it a DM judgement call? I've gone with "rule of cool" and let him strangle a dragon's breath weapon in it's throat but maybe I'm understanding wrong.

I'd imagine that most things a caster-type monster does could be seen as a spell, but yeah, go with the rule of cool too. If it seems like it's magic, it probably is.

Dragon's breath is an interesting case, as it's likely an innate thing, but I highly agree that the right call was letting the player counter-spell it, especially if he hasn't gotten much use out of it up until then.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Except that if I showed you a Background that said "Jack-of-all-trades +2" you can and should give me the sideye. +1 is about as far as one should go with an "I can do everything" background. I'll keep thinking about it since you're not wrong, but I'm not likely to change it anytime soon.

Maybe make it so once per day you can use a background for a skill check it normally would not apply to?

quote:

Having access to all the Rogue's best powers really steps on the Rogue's toes since that's what the Rogue has going for it. However, you still get access to Evasive Strike and Tumbling Strike (and Deadly Thrust) at Lv 1 which plays into the whole Evasive theme. The real meat of that talent is that now you hit off Dex which means you can jack your Dex and Con (or Wis) through the roof and be walking around with a 17 AC, +4 init (and up to 33 HP!) at level 1. Dex hit and damage rules supreme in 13th Age. The Rogue power is gravy.

Deadly thrust is kind of wasted because it requires you to put more points into strength, partially defeating the purpose. Fair enough with the other stuff.

quote:

As to the Invocations, yes.. sort of. I mean Song of Steel cast at the start of your second turn gives you +2 this go-round and +4 the next. That's nothing to sneeze at. I could see Heart of the Blade being a little unimpressive if your team is mopping up fights in one or two rounds - fair enough - but at that point clearly you have no further need of alpha-striking. The Dilettante is a controller with a side of striker to use the 4E parlance.

Spell Diffusion definitely plays the long game. There might be an Adventurer feat in there to help it a little but its intent is for dealing with second-wave threats or things that have boosts when staggered. You just have to be ok with that going in. edit: Adv Feat - roll the d6 at the start of combat and then negate one spell when the escalation die hits that value or higher?

I somehow missed that invocations were a quick action, I was treating them as standard actions which made them significantly less useful.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any character builders or fillable character sheets out there? I found one based off the sheet in the book that is saveable but all the other sheets I found can't be saved.

EDIT: Thought I'd share the OUTs that 4 of my PCs who have never played 13th Age (not like I have either) came up with, after a little prodding from me.

Human Cleric, who was imprisoned by a Lieutenant of the Lich King, tortured, and eventually turned into a Vampire. He eventually made his way back to his temple and continued his training under a High Priest that took pity on him. He is addicted to blood but is a good person at heart. For now.

Human Bard, who played a song for the Emperor and his guests at a banquet that brought everyone to tears, including the Emperor.

Human Wizard, who apprenticed as Necromancer. He has a vial of sand that can summon a mummy that he swore to keep safe from the Lich King. Except, unknown to anyone, the vial is part of the Lich King's phylactery, and he wants it back. Badly.

Drow Rogue, who can communicate with people that he has killed, who are quite likely to be upset with him. He has a magical music box he stole from a Wizard that can calm the spirits down. Except it's broken. When it works, it plays the first 15 seconds of the audio. When it doesn't work, it sounds like the rest of it, plays through the entire song, and something terrible is likely to happen when it ends.

Nevermind the Slenderman stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fUFmjqXZo

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Amateur Ritualist isn't really that much different than Ritualist since the ritual rules themselves state that a failure should be treated as 'success with complications' for all rituals. If full Wizards can cast Rituals with effectiveness "x", people merely dabbling in magic should be at "<x" effectiveness. You won't break anything giving a Dilettant Ritualist but it feels wrong in the flavor to me.
The issue is making it a talent, the player is trading mechanical proficiency for a weakened roleplaying tool.

This "dabbling mage" ability would be better suited as a class feature.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 23, 2013

• Locked thread