Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Your skeleton cleric was present in spirit.

I loved that character so much, and have pre-preemptively renamed the racial "Here's a fact about bones"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

The Cumburglar posted:

I loved that character so much, and have pre-preemptively renamed the racial "Here's a fact about bones"

The diplomatic force that is a tag-team between a freelance bureaucratic tiefling mercenary and a pacifist skeleton doctor is something to behold.

SourceRyan
Aug 4, 2011

Spelling error in the kobold racial:
Trapmaster
Encounter
Quick Action
Effect: eclare an enemy has moved...
Sounds painful, yet delicious.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

SourceRyan posted:

Spelling error in the kobold racial:
Trapmaster
Encounter
Quick Action
Effect: eclare an enemy has moved...
Sounds painful, yet delicious.

Fixed. Saving the eclaire power for the pastrymancer.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
How difficult would it be to adapt the Icon relationship system for this:

I am thinking of sequelizing my previous 4e campaign, but I want the old characters to move in to the background, allowing the players to reroll if they wanna play something new.

The last campaign ended with quite a few of the major factions being laid low or at least brought down a peg, so I was thinking some of the old PCs could have moved on to positions of prominence to fill the power vacuum. The new characters could have relationships to the old PCs (tied to corresponding players or not) so perhaps they could call on them for favours and such.

Would this sorta... fit with the 13th Age mechanics for icon relationships?

Dec 26, 2012

That'd probably be fine, it's not exactly a major departure. Just keep in mind that it's usually framed as a relationship with the icon's faction more so than the icon personally - therefore, it's useful to frame where those old PCs currently sit in terms of their position's particular ways to send aid.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The PCs in my campaign just stumbled on an abandoned phraint base from an earlier Age (when the Dragon Empire was greatly reduced and hu-mans lived in fear of the pitiless insectoid invaders) so this is handy. Thanks!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Wrote some monsters for a thing over in the Rogue Elements LP thread, wanted to get some thoughts on some specific mechanics, specifically these moves:

[Quick Action] GALAXY ZONE +16 vs. MD, The target is teleported to the Galaxy Zone (Hard Save
ends, Normal Save if the Sorceror is Staggered, ends automatically if the Sorceror or the target hits 0).
While in the Galaxy Zone, they cannot target anyone other than the Sorceror or be the target of any
abilities other than those originating from the Sorceror. The Sorceror's crit range is expanded by 4
against creatures in the Zone (normally 16+) and the Sorceror does not trigger OAs from creatures in
the Zone. Only one creature can be in the Zone at once, when a new creature is sent to the Zone the
current occupant is released.

Possess +16 vs. MD, target is Possessed (Hard save ends, normal save if either the Ghost or the
Possessed is Staggered). While Possessing a target, the Ghost takes half of any non-Holy damage and
gives the other half to the Possessed. While the target is Possessed, if they miss a target the Ghost can
decide they do half damage anyway and give the other half of the damage to a different nearby target
(enemy or ally).

Imperial Decree: The Executioner's crit range is expanded by 2 against targets who do not have a
Positive relationship with the Emperor (default 18+). The Executioner's crit range is expanded by 2
more against targets who have a Negative relationship with the Emperor (default 16+).

The World's Sharpest Knife +16 vs. AC, The target has a Knife counter on it. During its turn as a
free action, the Knave may remove all Knife counters from any target and inflict 70 damage per
counter. The target may remove its own Knife counters by spending a quick action and a Recovery.
Natural 20: Put 2 Knife counters on the target instead
Natural even miss: 35 damage

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PublicOpinion posted:

Wrote some monsters for a thing over in the Rogue Elements LP thread, wanted to get some thoughts on some specific mechanics, specifically these moves:

[Quick Action] GALAXY ZONE +16 vs. MD, The target is teleported to the Galaxy Zone (Hard Save
ends, Normal Save if the Sorceror is Staggered, ends automatically if the Sorceror or the target hits 0).
While in the Galaxy Zone, they cannot target anyone other than the Sorceror or be the target of any
abilities other than those originating from the Sorceror. The Sorceror's crit range is expanded by 4
against creatures in the Zone (normally 16+) and the Sorceror does not trigger OAs from creatures in
the Zone. Only one creature can be in the Zone at once, when a new creature is sent to the Zone the

Amazing. Specifically on Galaxy Zone, however, what happens if you have more than one Sorcerer? Do you consider there to be separate Galaxy zones, or would the second cast of galaxy zone override the first, ejecting the last person to cast the spell?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I figure each Sorceror would have its own Zone. For level 11 monsters I sort of figure they're allowed to bring the big guns, for a lower level version there should probably be a way for allies to grant off-turn saves to the Zoned PC or Zoned people to spend their standard to either auto-succeed or make their save of the next easier tier.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

No Cum Left Behind posted:

Amazing. Specifically on Galaxy Zone, however, what happens if you have more than one Sorcerer? Do you consider there to be separate Galaxy zones, or would the second cast of galaxy zone override the first, ejecting the last person to cast the spell?

I think the Roguer Elements are all meant to be Unique Enemies so they didn't write them with the idea of there being more than one Galactic Sorcerer.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think the Roguer Elements are all meant to be Unique Enemies so they didn't write them with the idea of there being more than one Galactic Sorcerer.

Sure, in some games (and indeed, the game that these monsters were written for) but whose to say that another campaign wouldn't be able to make use of a Galactic Sorcerer squad encounter?

Thanks for the answer, PublicOpinion. Your talent for encounter design is phenomenal.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
Thanks a ton for submitting these. Here's what I'm thinking about them:

PublicOpinion posted:

Expanding crit range is pretty strong. Is it intentional that only one of his moves can critically hit? Would the deconstructors be too strong if they did double damage (and possibly also healing) if the initial hit was a critical? Or is the idea that he's either grinding you out with hp drain, or stretching his crit range to 14+ with his directly damaging move, which is its own special kind of death sentence?

quote:

The World's Sharpest Knife +16 vs. AC, The target has a Knife counter on it. During its turn as a
free action, the Knave may remove all Knife counters from any target and inflict 70 damage per
counter. The target may remove its own Knife counters by spending a quick action and a Recovery.
Natural 20: Put 2 Knife counters on the target instead
Natural even miss: 35 damage

Maybe there's something subtle here that I'm not catching, but when is this power not simply "deal 70 damage, crit for double, miss for half"?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

medibot posted:

Thanks a ton for submitting these. Here's what I'm thinking about them:

Expanding crit range is pretty strong. Is it intentional that only one of his moves can critically hit? Would the deconstructors be too strong if they did double damage (and possibly also healing) if the initial hit was a critical? Or is the idea that he's either grinding you out with hp drain, or stretching his crit range to 14+ with his directly damaging move, which is
its own special kind of death sentence?

I figure you'd start up with the Deconstructors since you're going to be taking all the damage your Zoned target will be putting out so a little healing will help, and then the Relapse is a multi-attack to really take advantage of the expanded crit range. With three rolls critting on 16+, you've got like a 58% chance of at least one crit--but the multi-attack also makes this a little less cruel, as you'll probably only get one crit (so 90-100 damage per attack) rather than the whole 140. There could be room for a single more damaging strike if the GM feels like taking the all-or-nothing risk (or possibly triggering off of die rolls in some way), but I try to give unique monsters actually fewer moves than the guys who show up in packs several times. Always a shame when there's a neat trick you didn't get to show off, and it lets players get a handle on the monster's abilties quicker.

I'm eager to try something like the Zoning move in my game, because isolating one party member from the rest is an interesting choice from the GM side.

quote:

Maybe there's something subtle here that I'm not catching, but when is this power not simply "deal 70 damage, crit for double, miss for half"?

My intention was for this power to be about heavy burst damage where the GM plays a sort of "push your luck" minigame, trying to put more than one Knife token on a PC and instead of them taking 70 damage during a turn they'd take 140 (or maybe 210) all out once, probably putting them below 0 and potentially flat out murdering people. It's sort of trying to emulate the bleed mechanics from Dark Souls or that traditional anime move where they don't feel it until you sheathe your sword and then--blood explosion.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Can I get a rules clarification on the Burning Hands adventurer feat? Do you roll damage dice even if you miss?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You kind of have to, I'd think.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Lord Frisk posted:

Can I get a rules clarification on the Burning Hands adventurer feat? Do you roll damage dice even if you miss?

Yes. It's a little wonky, but an interesting way to gamble on maybe getting some decent miss damage.

unrelated note: I published a microgame about people facing the End of Everything.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

For paladins, is there a reason to choose a shield and one handed weapon instead of a two-handed weapon? It seems like +1 AC is a poor trade for effectively -1 to damage per level.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Some of the abilities on magic shields help with doing the Defender role, plus they all give bonus HP.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

There are no elementals in the core book, which I thought was kind of weird. Reskinning the elementally typed giants will cover some ground, but here are some I'm writing for high Champ tier: click

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Doing chargen and setting talk for a Zelda 13th Age campaign, here's the list of Icons we've come up with.

Princess of Hyrule
Twilight Princess
Deku Tree
Jabu Jabu
Valoo
Big Brother Goron
The Desert Prince
King Bulbin
The Fairy Queens
Twinrova
Mask Salesman
Poefather

We've also concocted the idea of an Eldcaller who swiches masks ala Majora's Mask instead of switching spirits.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Man someday I am going to take 13th Age and make a Final Fantasy VI campaign based on it.

The icons will be espers.

Matte Black
Sep 5, 2006
some guy
I think I made a mistake at the start of my campaign. I used the variant "Filthy Bribe" wealth system suggested last year in this post. No one likes a lot of bookkeeping in our group, and there's little need for keeping track of how many thousand GP you have in a game like 13th Age where magic items and armor aren't generally things you can buy. It's worked out pretty well so far.

Trouble is, I want to put the PCs in an auction scenario in our next session, and I'm not sure how to handle the wealth abstraction in that kind of situation. Seems stupid to have the participants bidding bribes and ransoms, but it'd also be a huge pain in the rear end to try and figure out what the actual numerical figure of their wealth is at this point. They're mid-Champion tier, haven't had to spend a lot of money, and I've probably been overly generous with rewards... so it's likely that they're grossly richer than a group of that level should be based on the level/treasure reward table in the book.

Any suggestions on how to work around this, or am I just boned?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Use a Percentage system? Assign their first bid a % of their wealth and work from there?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
For the Theurge I was wondering what does the Magic attack saying Melee, Close OR Ranged mean? Is that a choice at creation? Is it linked to the ability used? Or does it just mean each time you use it you can choose which range you are using it at? Melee is self explanatory but what exactly does Close or Ranged mean? Are they nearby and far? Does close mean it is a Close-Combat spell and thus does not provoke?

Was hoping to build a Theurge for the space game, though not the only one but the two of us sound like we will go completely different talents and play styles, and I would like to know what exactly all that meant before I get into combat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Matte Black posted:

Trouble is, I want to put the PCs in an auction scenario in our next session, and I'm not sure how to handle the wealth abstraction in that kind of situation. Seems stupid to have the participants bidding bribes and ransoms, but it'd also be a huge pain in the rear end to try and figure out what the actual numerical figure of their wealth is at this point. They're mid-Champion tier, haven't had to spend a lot of money, and I've probably been overly generous with rewards... so it's likely that they're grossly richer than a group of that level should be based on the level/treasure reward table in the book.
It seems like it'd be more important how they bet than how much. Are they confident and thinking quickly enough, do they impress other bidders with a particularly high bet, do they identify the bidders who will fold, are they getting outpaced, can they seed some rumours that will help keep people from bidding on one particular item, can an icon relationship help? I'd have them roll for that sort of thing and determine how much they're in for based on the results. Say you do it in three stages: stage 1, they bet against the general crowd. Stage 2, the section of the crowd who's serious about getting the item. Stage 3, the only ones left are the party, the rich rear end in a top hat who outbids everyone who is in every story's auction scene, and the guy who can't get the item under any circumstances. At the end of each stage tell them how much they're in for at the moment so they can decide to drop out or keep going.

Should work on different levels of wealth, too. More mundane items cost them only 1-X bribes, real rarities are measured in ransoms from the start, the plot item starts at bribes and works its way up based on their performance, etc.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Or does it just mean each time you use it you can choose which range you are using it at?

Yep. It's like carrying a bow and sword to attack things except that rather than calling it "a bow and a sword" it's "magic."

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Yep. It's like carrying a bow and sword to attack things except that rather than calling it "a bow and a sword" it's "magic."

Can you dual wield Magic?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

-Fish- posted:

Can you dual wield Magic?

Interesting.. I'm now picturing Skyrim style dual-casters. Yes and the reasoning is that weapon-users don't need any special talents or feats to dual-wield. My fighter is carrying two swords and rerolls on a 2. Yay. Given that MAGIC is just a more open-ended weapon type I see no need to place further restriction on it than you would a mace or axe. Also, Theurges can use shields, so the dual-wield casting has a downside.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
For anyone who doesn't check it otherwise, I finally put up a recruit thread for my space-opera adaptation 31st Age.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Is anyone going to be around on G+ at say.. 7:30 maybe 8:00 EST tonight? (Sunday) I'm trying to put together a different sort of combat encounter for Tales and I need to see if it works the way I think it does.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I'm down for that. Character level?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
From a designing-new-stuff standpoint, I am curious what folks think re: races when it comes to going bare-bones simple & straightforward (e.g. Humans +2 to any score, a bonus feat, roll initiative twice) and multiple-ability/power elaborate, such as with the Gearforged (very bottom of http://www.13thagesrd.com/character-rules the Kobold Press Gearforged have just gobs going on.) I'd be kind of keen to feel out a good middle ground between the two extremes--have a little bit more elaborate powers / tidbits for each given entry and/or have multiple possible powers to pick from rather than just one for each.

On a separate note, how might folks feel about something like Traits adapted for 13th Age? My inclination there would be streamlining down to minor power / flavor type traits and eschewing anything that just fiddles with math.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

GaistHeidegger posted:

On a separate note, how might folks feel about something like Traits adapted for 13th Age? My inclination there would be streamlining down to minor power / flavor type traits and eschewing anything that just fiddles with math.

I think you're square-on here.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Yeah, that's what I noticed when homebrewing monsters for 4e; you can have more and more powers, and action economy will take care of it (as long as you build the damage/effects within expected values.)
As long as you don't get into option bloat/analysis paralysis territory.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
So on further race-creation shenanigans, I am trying to grapple with the notion of a player-character accessible race with the inherent ability to fly--and how best to handle it. Plenty of monsters have the ability to fly, but places in the rules which mention flight are pretty barebones limited beyond the general understanding that you're moving in three dimensions when you fly. Flight via magic crops up as a seventh level wizard spell--so my question is basically what the best approach would be to work around a winged race.

Presumably, if a race has flight then that's their schtick as far as racial powers are concerned, but is it something that works best if it starts off limited and then gets expanded on through feats? Is that even a big deal? Does that then imply that members of the race who aren't heroic characters aren't actually very good at flying? I'd prefer to try and approach it from the stance of baseline -> Flight, if you're chasing a champion feat on it or the like you're picking up fun maneuvers or something of the like with it instead.

Potentially, as a baseline if the character was in flight, they might be needing to keep constantly moving to stay airborne which would trade off what all they could get up to in the air short of some hover-feat equivalent down the line. Would it be grossly unbalancing?

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 12, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GaistHeidegger posted:

Presumably, if a race has flight then that's their schtick as far as racial powers are concerned, but is it something that works best if it starts off limited and then gets expanded on through feats? Is that even a big deal? Does that then imply that members of the race who aren't heroic characters aren't actually very good at flying?

Well no because you're a smart person who can separate game mechanics and fluff, but I think this could be something interesting as lore for the Race. Only the strongest/bravest/most heroic gain flight. Maybe the race itself is favored by some diety or force and the flight is seen as them recognizing your power. 'Stand tall and fly. Spread your wings and cover the sky'. I might steal this for a thing.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

GaistHeidegger posted:

Potentially, as a baseline if the character was in flight, they might be needing to keep constantly moving to stay airborne which would trade off what all they could get up to in the air short of some hover-feat equivalent down the line. Would it be grossly unbalancing?

Not sure if this is something that would work for your group, but something that worked pretty well for games I've been in has been a defensive penalty when airborne. Presumably, it's not so easy to watch for attacks, dodge with a sudden change in direction, or brace yourself when you're hanging out ten feet in the air. If you're not keen on having that kind of penalty attached to this mechanic, then simply limiting flight time/uses could work: just because you're good at flying from point A to point B doesn't mean you can fly around indefinitely while carrying adventuring gear.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The problem with flight is that it removes a lot of the danger of exploring:

There are dangerous woods filled with deadly monsters? I fly over them.
There's a river that's too fast to cross? I fly over it.
I have to cross a war-torn battlefield? Time to fly.
The enemy has me surrounded? Away I go.

I think the way to balance this is that if there is an entire race in the world capable of flight, and if they're a common-enough race, then anti-flying measures would be relatively common. Everything from magical wards that knock characters out of the air to things as simple as nets and crossbows should be present. Heck maybe giant frogs have evolved with great long tongues to snatch flying humanoids out of the air. Flying should be presented as risky in these situations instead of a a get-out-of-jail free card.

Inverse World has characters capable of flight from the get-go if you want to see an example of it in action, but it's spelled out pretty clearly that their flight is never safe (I believe it's a defy danger roll in any type of non-ideal situation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rosalind posted:

The problem with flight is that it removes a lot of the danger of exploring:

There are dangerous woods filled with deadly monsters? I fly over them.
There's a river that's too fast to cross? I fly over it.
I have to cross a war-torn battlefield? Time to fly.
The enemy has me surrounded? Away I go.

I think the way to balance this is that if there is an entire race in the world capable of flight, and if they're a common-enough race, then anti-flying measures would be relatively common. Everything from magical wards that knock characters out of the air to things as simple as nets and crossbows should be present. Heck maybe giant frogs have evolved with great long tongues to snatch flying humanoids out of the air. Flying should be presented as risky in these situations instead of a a get-out-of-jail free card.

Also flying away from the party of course puts you in danger because you're both a big obvious target AND separating yourself from your friends.

• Locked thread