Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

waderockett posted:

Yep, pre-order customers get right of first refusal to a special leatherbound edition of the core rulebook when it becomes available. Again, the timing on that is TBD.

I think this is like the second time you have mentioned this to me and I just keep forgetting like a big dumb. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
I'm still sad it's not the chance to upgrade to the leatherbound edition of the core rulebook, as I doubt I can afford to buy another, more expensive version of what I've already pre-ordered, unless it happens in April or so.

Apart from that, I'm really stoked about 13th age, though I've yet to play it, Ironicus' podcasts really sold me on the game early on, and I'm hoping to run it for my regular group when I get back from my travels.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Ho! Ho! Ho! Fat RPG Santa has delivered episode 1 of us running through 13th Age with none other than Rob Heinsoo!

You can listen to the first episode here!

In this episode we introduce all of the players and Rob, and we get into Greg's 1 Unique Thing (which is so strange that I kept it as the main thing in this episode).

Parts 2 - 5 will be through the rest of the week, and I will edit this post as they go live, but you can check them all out at https://www.bjgeeknation.com

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Ho! Ho! Ho! Fat RPG Santa has delivered episode 1 of us running through 13th Age with none other than Rob Heinsoo!

You can listen to the first episode here!

In this episode we introduce all of the players and Rob, and we get into Greg's 1 Unique Thing (which is so strange that I kept it as the main thing in this episode).

Parts 2 - 5 will be through the rest of the week, and I will edit this post as they go live, but you can check them all out at https://www.bjgeeknation.com

"And you are playing a...neenja, which we'll get to later."

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Haha, yeah, if you want to see how Rob creates a ninja (by not using a rogue), we got you. Tomorrows podcast has it explained.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is it a Ranger that uses his own shadow as an animal companion? Because that's what I'd do.

Now I want to do that.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

moths posted:

Is it a Ranger that uses his own shadow as an animal companion? Because that's what I'd do.

Now I want to do that.

That DOES indeed sound awesome, and I may try to do something similar in the future. That or hand puppets for a Sorcerer's familiar (a la Banjo the Clown).

So here's a question for folks; How would you do a Spellsword/Duskblade/Havoc Mage type character? The obvious idea is the Spell Fist sorcerer, but that's just casting in melee, not casting as part of a melee attack. I wanted my character to be a shortsword-specialized spellcasting duelist, but during the session I found myself never using the shortsword (except as flavor/fluff when I cast spells). Does anyone think having extra feats (possibly at the Champion tier) that allow you to attack in melee, and (as an example) on an even roll, also cast a spell that round targeted at the initial enemy, would be too powerful? Unnecessary? Wrong? I feel like Spellswords are a really cool thing in fantasy, so I want a good way of doing that in 13th Age.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
Well there was a complaint a few post back that sorcerers should be a more offensive class than the wizards but don't feel like it. Maybe that is a method used to remedy it, not to mention allowing sorcerers with spell fist to abe able to actually hit monster with OA (since they are forced to used STR for basic melee still).

Though I have yet to actually play a game with a sorcerer, let alone one with both sorcerer and wizard in the game group so can't say if it needed or not.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

mepstein73 posted:

Does anyone think having extra feats (possibly at the Champion tier) that allow you to attack in melee, and (as an example) on an even roll, also cast a spell that round targeted at the initial enemy, would be too powerful? Unnecessary? Wrong?

Sounds like it's at least worth experimenting with. You could, with the GM's cooperation, stage some sort of magical accident that temporarily grants your character those abilities, and see how they work in the game.

moths posted:

Is [a ninja] a Ranger that uses his own shadow as an animal companion? Because that's what I'd do.

+1

If two ninjas fight, their shadows fight each other. If a ninja's shadow is reduced to zero hp, the ninja has to regrow it. You could run an adventure in which the ninja's shadow it stolen by a sorcerer, and the party has to regain it by entering the Octagon of Shadows and fighting the stolen shadows of monsters.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

waderockett posted:

the party has to regain it by entering the Octagon of Shadows and fighting the stolen shadows of monsters.

Dear Pelgrane Press,

Please stop using my names for my genitals for your PR person's campaign ideas. Thanks,

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Part 2 of the 13th Age Special is live!

We get into mine and Brandon's one unique, you find out how exactly a non-rogue ninja can be made, and we flesh out our characters and icon relationships.

Tomorrows will have a bit of roleplaying, with combat on Thursday and Friday.

[Edit] -- Episode 3 is up! We actually start roleplaying, and getting into the story via our Icon Relationships.

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 26, 2012

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Part 2 of the 13th Age Special is live!

We get into mine and Brandon's one unique, you find out how exactly a non-rogue ninja can be made, and we flesh out our characters and icon relationships.

Tomorrows will have a bit of roleplaying, with combat on Thursday and Friday.

[Edit] -- Episode 3 is up! We actually start roleplaying, and getting into the story via our Icon Relationships.

Listening to the game, I found myself wondering how I'd field those uniques as a GM. I'll be very interested to see how your "master gambler" OUT takes shape. My first thought was that he might be the earthbound avatar of a forgotten luck god.

"When I close my eyes I fly 100 feet in the air and come crashing down when I open them again" -- man. Um. That one's tough. But an autistic wood elf aerospace engineer ranger who's carving a spaceship out of wood so he can reach the Overworld is a pretty great outcome.

I love how the ninja came out, story-wise, and hope we get to hear him possessed by one of his victims at some point.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

waderockett posted:

Listening to the game, I found myself wondering how I'd field those uniques as a GM. I'll be very interested to see how your "master gambler" OUT takes shape. My first thought was that he might be the earthbound avatar of a forgotten luck god.

"When I close my eyes I fly 100 feet in the air and come crashing down when I open them again" -- man. Um. That one's tough. But an autistic wood elf aerospace engineer ranger who's carving a spaceship out of wood so he can reach the Overworld is a pretty great outcome.

I love how the ninja came out, story-wise, and hope we get to hear him possessed by one of his victims at some point.

Yeah, I have actually fleshed out my character a bit, and Rob was so enthralled by our stuff that this is potentially becoming a once a month recorded campaign.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

En Fuego posted:

Yeah, I have actually fleshed out my character a bit, and Rob was so enthralled by our stuff that this is potentially becoming a once a month recorded campaign.

Rob really loves his playtesters/players. He was going around from table to table at PAX with this huge boyish grin asking about everyone's OUTs

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Red_Mage posted:

Rob really loves his playtesters/players. He was going around from table to table at PAX with this huge boyish grin asking about everyone's OUTs

True. He also loves to throw players inexperienced with his style curve balls. He mentioned to me he liked running stuff with us, because (unlike his normal gaming group) we don't know what to expect.

Which should be fantastic. I love it.

Edit: And now episode 4 is up! Listen and regale as Centauro runs and hides!

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 27, 2012

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey for those who have done the playtesting and what not, how much work would take to port DnD 4e stuff/Eberron stuff to 13th age? I'm going to try and woe my gaming group to it now that WoTC is going to abandon 4e for Dungeons and Dragons Next.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 28, 2012

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Undead Unicorn posted:

Hey for those who have done the playtesting and what not, how much work would take to port DnD 4e stuff/Eberron stuff to 13th age? I'm going to try and woe my gaming group to it now that WoTC is going to abandon $e for Dungeons and Dragons Next.

Not much at all. Some monster math may need tweaking, but 4Eberron will work well right out of the box. (Pro-tip: Dragonmark Houses are Icons)

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Red_Mage posted:

Not much at all. Some monster math may need tweaking, but 4Eberron will work well right out of the box. (Pro-tip: Dragonmark Houses are Icons)

Sweet. Already pre-ordered, going to bring this up to my friends. Everything I heard about this edition outside the map thing seems just wonderful. I sincerely hope it enjoys similar success as Pathfinder.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Undead Unicorn posted:

Hey for those who have done the playtesting and what not, how much work would take to port DnD 4e stuff/Eberron stuff to 13th age? I'm going to try and woe my gaming group to it now that WoTC is going to abandon 4e for Dungeons and Dragons Next.

You might want to check out Persuasions of the 13th Kind: Converting D&D 4E to 13th Age.

...and this related thread on the Pelgrane Press forums.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Would anything bad come from scrapping all the different race ability score choices and just giving them all the same "+2 any ability score" that humans have?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Overemotional Robot posted:

Would anything bad come from scrapping all the different race ability score choices and just giving them all the same "+2 any ability score" that humans have?

No, but you get even more choices from your class to the point where it's unlikely you'll even need to ask for a houserule to get the choices you want. If you still do, it's not like it's increasing the bonus or anything.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
All right, if you were waiting until the 13th Age Special was completely loaded to listen, go for it!

Roughly 2 1/2 hours... Episodes 1 / 2 go over character generation, 3 is roleplaying and 4 / 5 go over combat.

Feedback is appreciated!

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

sentrygun posted:

No, but you get even more choices from your class to the point where it's unlikely you'll even need to ask for a houserule to get the choices you want. If you still do, it's not like it's increasing the bonus or anything.

Yeah, it's just that I am creating the races for a setting I'm working on and didn't want to go through the trouble of coming up with bonuses for them. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal, but I thought I'd check anyway. Thanks!

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

En Fuego posted:

All right, if you were waiting until the 13th Age Special was completely loaded to listen, go for it!

Roughly 2 1/2 hours... Episodes 1 / 2 go over character generation, 3 is roleplaying and 4 / 5 go over combat.

Feedback is appreciated!

I've only just started listening to this, but is that a she track in the intro? I love this already :allears:

Looking forward to listening to the rest, I love hearing different groups playing 13th Age.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

En Fuego posted:

Feedback is appreciated!

I've only listened to the character creation so far, but I'm really enjoying it, particularly hearing how Rob's DM style works in creation. His deal-making is excellent.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Civil Twilight posted:

I've only listened to the character creation so far, but I'm really enjoying it, particularly hearing how Rob's DM style works in creation. His deal-making is excellent.

There's an exchange between Rob and the ninja's player in episode four that is exactly the kind of thing that led me to call his GMing style "Mephistophelean."

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT.

It's been brought to my attention that some people are under the impression that 13th Age is meant to be a 4e clone -- perhaps a step forward in the evolution of the rules but still basically the same game.

With the release of Escalation Edition version 6 -- the final version of the rules -- it's clear to anyone playing the game that it is not a 4e clone. Yes, there are 4e-like elements in it (not surprising since one of the designers was the lead designer of 4e) but it's very much its own d20-rolling, orc-fighting elfgame. There won't be any last-minute major shifts in direction to make the game less like it is now, and more like some other game.

So if you're considering buying 13th Age expecting a full-on 4th Edition D&D experience, you will be disappointed. I've seen a lot of 4e fans play 13th Age and enjoy the hell out of it, and hope that many more of them give it a try, judging it on its own merits as a fantasy roleplaying game.

Pelgrane is very interested in creating supplements with new classes and variant options for the base classes, but whether those classes and variants will be 4e-like or not remains to be seen. I expect that it will depend on a number of factors including what will sell, and whether a given thing makes sense as a Pelgrane book. The game is being released under the OGL, so there are certainly opportunities for other publishers to create classes and variants. The new classes on the horizon at the moment for Pelgrane are the battle captain, occultist, necromancer, monk, druid and chaos shaman in 13 True Ways. (And the battle captain will not simply be a direct porting of the 4e warlord into 13th Age.)

Um...any questions? The suggestion that a lot of people still think 13th Age is D&D 4.5 took me by surprise, and its source tells me that a lot of people on this thread in particular are 4e fans who've felt blindsided by the direction the game's taken. I haven't gotten that impression at all -- you guys grok the game better than almost anyone, which is why I keep sending people here -- so I wanted to put this out there.

lessthanpleased
Sep 18, 2012

waderockett posted:

Pelgrane is very interested in creating supplements with new classes and variant options for the base classes, but whether those classes and variants will be 4e-like or not remains to be seen.

This bit should be posted everywhere.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
I think some people have sold it as "storytelling 4E" in other threads but that's been quickly corrected in my experience.

Some of us obviously are (slightly to very, depending on the person) disappointed that 13A eschews some of the progress in terms of mechanics and general approach to d20 gaming 4E brought to the table in favour of more traditional methods but I think most of us recognise that it was never a retro-clone.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I've always taken the 4E comparisons as less "Pathfinder for 4th Ed." than "this game's mechanics have an actual mathematical foundation like 4th Ed." People seem to make the comparison more in regards to 4E and 13A's shared affinity for reflavoring fluff for extra coolness without affecting the end result when dice start rolling.

It seems to be a game more focused on "that sounds fun, How Do We Do That?" instead of "the book says no, You Can't Do That." and that's why I'm excited.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
Yes, 13A's way of thinking evolves very naturally from the "reskin it" creed of 4E

lessthanpleased
Sep 18, 2012

waderockett posted:

Um...any questions? The suggestion that a lot of people still think 13th Age is D&D 4.5 took me by surprise, and its source tells me that a lot of people on this thread in particular are 4e fans who've felt blindsided by the direction the game's taken. I haven't gotten that impression at all -- you guys grok the game better than almost anyone, which is why I keep sending people here -- so I wanted to put this out there.

Since I'm the source for this, I'll clarify that this press release is predicated upon a miscommunication between Wade and I. The concern I expressed to Wade isn't that people think 13th Age = 4.5e, it's that it seems like one of 13th Age's design goal is to iterate upon 4e's emphasis on fantasy archetypes, narrative mechanics, and various other 4eisms, but in new ways (with new/different/daring mechanics than that on display in 4e), to facilitate new ways to play. It isn't 4.5e, but it could charitably be called D&D Next if 4e, Fate, and FORGE-like games were D&D Next's inspiration.

Based on various posts (such as on RPG.net), Pelgrane's position (communicated through Wade) is that the above impression is mistaken. Although the above might be part of Jonathan and Rob's vision for the game, assuming that the above is the design goal is mistaken since the design goal is largely "Rob and Jonathan's dream game" - which may or may not always cohere with the above in future supplements.

My concern, as expressed on RPG.net, is that posters (here and everywhere else) seem to be more enthusiastic about the whole "modern mechanics" that derive from the mishmash of 4e, Fate, and elements of FORGE-like games, and learning that the above is an accidental attribute of 13th Age's design philosophy rather than its essential attribute could lead to disappointment if it's not the guiding principle behind how 13th Age grows in future supplements. Certainly in all of the hype I've seen, the enthusiasm is over the ways that 13th Age improves upon or brings post-4e fantasy gaming forward by emphasizing player creativity and GM world-building through story-game mechanics; based on Pelgrane's recent statements regarding what 13th Age is, I worried that what was expressed was not consonant with the various things people seem to actually like about 13th Age.

How that turned into "everyone everywhere thinks 13th Age is 4.5e Dungeons and Dragons" is likely due to me failing at literacy. My position would be more like "people seem to think you guys are designing a game that's playing in the same sandbox as 4e, but going about things differently in terms of mechanics, and they really like that's what you're going for because grog=weird; if what you're actually doing is something different than this (such as, Jonathan and Rob are pretty much designing the game they want to design, and their taste is the game's design philosophy so there might be elements that don't cohere with the above), perhaps you should revisit what people like about the game - particularly on Something Awful - to make sure that Pelgrane understands where its most enthusiastic fans think the game should go next."

I would happily buy lots of supplements for the whole 4e + FORGE + Fate + Unknown Armies 13th Age, likely sight-unseen, because that vibe is my bag; but if the game's future release schedule is going to be predicated on "This and Rob and Jonathan's baby, so we're going to be sticking to whatever interests them rather than player demand" then that gives me pause. I'm far less interested in subsidizing Rob and Jonathan's dream project than I am in paying for a fantasy RPG that iterates on contemporary best practices in RPG design with an openness to changing course or accommodating users with different desires than the creators through supplements.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

lessthanpleased posted:

This bit should be posted everywhere.

Should it? I'm not sold on the idea of having the game description include a section where we basically say, "But if you don't like this game, you should know that at some point in the future there will be supplements that might include new and variant classes, the nature of which we haven't determined, but that may or may make the game more like something you'd enjoy." As opposed to waiting until the hypothetical supplement is actually on the schedule and announcing it then, so that people who decided to pass on 13th Age will then see a reason for them to invest in it.

lessthanpleased
Sep 18, 2012

waderockett posted:

Should it? I'm not sold on the idea of having the game description include a section where we basically say, "But if you don't like this game, you should know that at some point in the future there will be supplements that might include new and variant classes, the nature of which we haven't determined, but that may or may make the game more like something you'd enjoy." As opposed to waiting until the hypothetical supplement is actually on the schedule and announcing it then, so that people who decided to pass on 13th Age will then see a reason for them to invest in it.

I'm of the opinion that telling people there's more coming, including the shape of what future supplements might take, would be superior to saying "We have nothing to announce right now." If you give people a reason to get excited, or to go to Pelgrane's forums and give input, then you've done a lot more good than essentially saying "No comment." One is a conversation starter, the other is a conversation stopper; prior to this press release, I had no idea whether the sorts of alternative builds stuff people have talked about online was even under consideration by Pelgrane (I assumed it was too 4e). Now I have a reason to be hopeful, as opposed to thinking that I couldn't predict what sorts of thinking was going on at Pelgrane and assuming the worst.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

waderockett posted:

I though it was going to be 4.5 to be honest. But word of mouth from the people here and elsewhere who've played 13th Age has alleviated any disappointment I might have had that it isn't. It's seems you skipped 4.5 and went straight to 5E, taking cues from 4E but also games outside DnD's incestuous design family, while taking a new path.

I can't wait for my pre-order copy to come in as well as the supplement with a loving necromancer.

EDIT: Do you know your post is going to have the RPGPundit drop dead from a heart attack?

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 31, 2012

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Well I throw money at basically everything 13A at this point so keep doing what you're doing I guess!

I always thought (and still think it plays like) the perception I had of the old school D&D I heard stories about before I actually played old school D&D. That means I like it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Not so much a question related to this, but I think there was mention of a PDF only version of the rules with some mention of it being around December, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering incorrectly or what. Are we going to be looking at that soon? I've pretty much been sitting around waiting for that to come out.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The final survey was posted.

I hate this Town

3 choices this time:
- Axis, City of Swords, Bureaucrats, Gladiators and Emperors

- Concord, City of Demihumans, Strange Architecture, and Unconventional Politics

- Santa Cora, City of Temples, the Cathedral, Miracles, Monasteries and Cults

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/67P3LB2

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm not sure where the "Pathfinder for 4e" thing originated, but I think it had to do with the timing. And guessing what 4e players would do after burning their rulebooks according to the traditions and customs of their people.

It's definitely its own game though. You can sometimes see the seams, but it's definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Is there any early game playtest document for this like what came out when 4th edition (or hell even the Next Playtests) that me and my friends can try out before anyone actually drops 40 bucks or whatever?

Note: I do realize the playtest itself is over, I mean as in so my group can test it before buying or whatever. I know 4th edition had something like this.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 1, 2013

• Locked thread