Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the thread, fosorb! This is really peaking my interest so far. I'm amazed that they are attempting to fix the problems of 4th edition, while also tackling some of the goals of 5e (lighter rules, "modularity"). If I had a group to play with regularly, I'd sign up for play test in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Didn't 4e attempt a mechanic similar to this with action points? You got more the longer you had encounters without extended rests, and some higher level abilities required them to function. Not saying that it was very effective, just surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Oh, good. They realized AC and Ref was basically the same thing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I am enjoying reading the playtest doc, and looking forward to enjoying the playtest. :)

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ugh, I don't know if I'm going to have time to run the second round of the playtest. The cutoff date is next week, right?

I am not enjoying doing a terrible job in this playtest.

I only had time to do a single one-shot with my playtest. If all else fails, turn in feedback based on what you have. I'm sure it will still be useful to the designers.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

I don't mean to use this thread just to shill my game, but one of our players did portraits of the entire party and I really want to show them off: http://i.imgur.com/QqFoo.jpg

Haha! PlasmaMan did these, didn't he? If not, they look really similar to the ones he did for Christo's Gamma World game. Love his style.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Simon Rogers posted:

You’ve gotta love therpgsite, really. It’s a hoot. The mockery of my “love letter” marketing idea was very well done. There is nothing Brits like better than a bit of well-placed piss-take. I’m standing by the love letter, though.

It's refreshing seeing a game publishing company that so easily takes criticism in stride, whether said criticism is warranted or not.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Anyone know if the pre-order is available on Amazon.co.uk, and if so, where it is? I have a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket, but it's only good for the UK :britain:

I believe the pre-order is only available through Pelgrane's website.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

The last few times I've put it on the slate of games to try it's been 13th Age, Last Stand and Dungeon World. The latter two have now been played (in very fun one-shots!) and I'm looking forward to trying out 13th Age, but I think its greater complexity, larger amount of GM prep and similarity to D&D kinda puts my groups off.

What would people recommend for a one shot? Build a bunch of pregens with interesting relationships and One Unique Things, or have players build characters at the session?

Personally I think it would be a shame to not let the players create their own characters, since so much of 13th Age's strengths revolve around the relationship between the characters and the world they inhabit. I'd probably set aside one session to let everyone make characters, then prepare the adventure for the next session so you can properly customize the adventure. Then again, depending on your group and schedule, this may not be the most ideal for a one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think the problem with the priestess is that she's the representative of the good gods, which are purposefully left undescribed to allow the players and GM to create the worlds major religion. Which is cool, but it means there isn't really any default assumptions for her.

I still think there are some interesting places to take the character. I focused in on the seer aspect of her. She really does talk to the good gods, and from them learns the fate of the world or, at least, it's current direction. Unfortunately, that vision is increasingly horrific, yet she has no real power to change it. She may be capable of great miracles within her temple, but she's incapable of curing a plague in Axis, or fighting back a freshly opened hellhole. But each bit of pain and suffering is broadcast directly to her by the god's with little to no advice or how to stop them. She does what she can, and keeps up a brave face for the devout masses, but only an increasingly desperate faith keeps her from giving into despair, or even madness. The true danger is what will happen when her faith finally fails and the brightest flame of hope is snuffed out.

• Locked thread