Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I too was in that game (as a mix of a boastful Altair and Allie McBeal). I was (and still am) a Dungeon World man, but it was extremely interesting how diverse everyone's character was.

I mean, we literally reskinned one of the barbarians as a talking bear. Who talked to other bears (and was apparently in a huge honey-debt).

I didn't understand the minion rules at the time, so I focused on larger threats. My character slit a guard's throat with a steel-tipped business card (which she left for the other guards to find), as well as flicking blood into a sea witch's eyes and teleporting behind a flaming gnoll and stabbing him. (Unfortunately, the dead gnoll fell on her and nearly took her out of action).

What was really, really awesome, though, was my innate, once per-battle teleport mixed with my rogue powers. I opened up the final combat by tapping a merman champion on the back, then disappearing. My next turn, I appeared behind an evil sea witch, and slit her throat from ear to ear (covering my teammate in gore and nearly extinguishing his candle-face; 29 damage is a hell of a lot of at first level).

My next turn I took the same blade, which was engraved with my law firm's name, and made eye contact with the Merman's Champion. As the camera tracked past four of my teammates engaged in battle, it flew directly into his eye socket. I tapped him on the shoulder from behind, kicking the knife out of his face as he dropped to the ground dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'm happy I upgraded my comp; roll20 and skype were either/or before I upgraded my RAM.

And his coding means Public O is dedicated to running a mini-campaign.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The elven lawsmith also made sure the necromancer'll stand trial for what must be hundreds of unsolved murders. Also, a dwarven boat crashed, leaving mysterious luggage downriver.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In my game, our group of 6 (rogue/barb/barb/ranger/bard/paladin), an hour is roughly accurate. Everyone gets 3 or so turns, and actions are really easy; roll attack, and if you hit, roll damage. Not a lot of action paralysis, no fiddling with 5 foot steps.

The escalation die is helpful; I remember a lot of 3.X battles where you'd miss, and they'd miss, and you'd miss...with the bonuses you get with your good attacks at first level, your +s are at minimum going to add 35%-50% to your to hit. With the escalation die and a few bonuses, you will be hitting your enemies.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think it's section 1-2 (during the zombie fight) when we all bust out laughing for no reason. It's because in chat I typed
"If you're having Ghoul problems I feel bad for you son" to which Rhinoceraptor responded "I got 99 problems but a lich ain't one."

Knowing that we're on the record, I'll keep jokes in audio form.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Awesome design and concept. That's the smallest title belt I've ever seen though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It won't be Kordelia. As a 2nd level rogue with a 3rd level move due to pre-levelup, she has ultimate mobility.

She has:
*A once-per-battle teleport (since she's a high elf)
*Tumbling Strike (which gives her a 75% chance of getting out of being cornered)
*Roll With It (Take half damage from physical attacks) and
*Redirect (spend momentum and redirect an attack for half damage).
*Swashbuckling (which gives the player carte-blanche to pull something crazy out of their rear).

Of course, her HP and AC are both less-than-optimal, so she needs those tricks.

I don't mean any offense when I say that 13th Age is kind of "neutral" to non-combat sessions. The mechanic is better than just "Roll Diplomacy" (since people used Being a Bear, Running a Foodbank and Being a Lawyer to solve social problems), but there isn't a huge crunchy backbone there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Being a rogue is definitely high risk, high reward. Unlike other systems that reward rogues with Dex bonuses to AC, I'm low in the party and have to rely on combat tricks (redirect/roll with it) and mobility (teleport, swashbuckle, tumbling attack). It's much more dynamic.

I'm still not as squishy as the bard, though. His pumpkin-rump needs rescuing constantly!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Another awesome session. We played "Warball" (a game invented role-by-role by the players, with the GM making the map). Our team won 3-0. I celebrated by knocking the opposing goalie unconscious with a huge, record-damage slap.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Congratulations if you're looking for a weekly Skype 13th Age Game!

A few SAers having a weekly Tuesday game, and if you read this thread, you're qualified to join! We're level 3, looking for a wizard, a sorcerer, or a cleric. Being short is not a minus!

The game is lighthearted; the party is: bear, a hospitaler/undead hating Paladin, a guy with a pumpkin for his head who tell jokes so terrible you will die, a conspiracy theorist who lives in the woods, a lawyer, and YOU!

Gimmicks taken: Lawyer, Crazy, Awkward, Killingly-Bad Comedian, Bear.
Available: Straight man, Crone, Best Friend, Wealthy Dowager, Cool Guy Who Totally Doesn't Fit Any Mold. If you're interested PM the GM, PublicOpinion!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 16, 2013

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I've played a Rogue for 5-6 sessions and I gotta say, there are tradeoffs you're missing.

The Rogue has SUPREME mobility; between evasive strike, tumbling strike, shadow walk, and High-Born Teleport (which I have as a high-elf), I am barely ever locked down in combat. And with things like Roll With It and/or Deflecting Blow, you can avoid a lot of damage. (Half-HP doesn't matter as much when once per turn you can automatically avoid half the damage and keep momentum).

What talents and feats did your Rogue take? Kordelia is Murderous (with the adventuring feat attached), so whenever an opponent gets to half health, she gets to:
Take +2 to hit
Expand her Crit Range (to 18-20)
Use her Cruel magic dagger (if their HP is knocked to 20 or below; they receive 5 ongoing damage, save ends.)

If she has Momentum, she can sure-cut (ensuring at least an auto-hit and some sneak attack/cruel damage). If she doesn't, she can hit a bleeding strike to add 1d4*level persistent damage.
This is doubled for a crit and X3 for a crit after a shadow walk. If she's just shadow-walked that means the previous round, she simply could not be attacked.

That and the very-fair trap bonuses differentiate the Rogue from the Monk.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Has any one else dealt with relationship bloat? I gather they can be held in reserve in a long campaign, but this was a one shot.

Second question is about rogues. They look amazingly fun. I am sad none of my players tried one. What other sources have rogues like these, who have such a dynamic experience in combat? I am looking for other trpgs or video games or even a good lp of this game with a rogue player. Thanks.

Edit: clarity and grammar

Kordelia Poe is a really fun character (and I've posted about her often in this thread). If you're doing a one shot of any game ever, it's simply not possible to include everything from character generation in the final product. It doesn't matter if you're playing Fiasco or FATE Core, d20 modern or Nobilis. As long as everyone gets a bit in the spotlight, it doesn't matter if they didn't use their contract with the arch-librarian or their +3 sneak boots or even their attacking stunt, as long as they have fun and contribute to the story.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

So it turns out that even playing a man down, my group can chew through 100 HP in a round without even expending resources. Gotta start giving important monsters a triggered attack when they're staggered so they can hopefully actually hurt someone before they get stabbed to death.

You're underselling just how amazing an asswhupping we doled out.

OK, our group (fresh off arresting the organizers of a mage academy) washunting The Red Cyclone. He was somehow involved in illegal drugs and was known to run an illegal fighting ring where he punched people's heads off. My character shuddered every time she heard that; even after a few adventurers, punch-decapitation was very unsettling.

We sent three in-game days tracking him down; we shut down small town suppliers, investigated drug fiends, and infiltrated (and destroyed) the mob's main hideout. But still, no Red Cyclone. The police hadn't even heard of the guy.

So we hit the streets, trying to draw him out; he's hunting impure-bred orcs. We find a 1/8th orc guy and make a big spectacle of him trying to shut down illegal fight clubs.

We make a scene basically all day, but nothing's doing. We take the 1/8th orc back to his inn.

We find one of the mafiosi sneaking into the building through the chimney, and neutralize him. Without proof that he was committing a crime (besides burglary) we're about to let him go...

When THE RED CYCLONE bursts in through the bar, diving through the window!

Unfortunately, he whiffs.
The ENTIRE GROUP piles on him (perhaps angry that he kept us waiting).

The Red Cyclone, who we've been hunting for THREE DAYS, basically six hours of game time is taken down within six seconds. He does ~3 hitpoints of damage to us; we do 100+ to him.

We laughed so hard about it we had to end the session.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

djw175 posted:

He didn't do any damage. Rurik used his sword and hurt himself. The Mafiosi did more damage. For a total of 8. Then a half-orc hit you with an exploding bench dealing 9. Then Rurik did 9 to himself.
Had I known combat was over, I would've taken 4. For the record, my character is tied for lowest HP and has 42.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

These look pretty useful. I'll keep them in mind for when I finish Blood & Lightning, thanks!

In other news, I had an idea for a silly adventure full of backstabbing and intrigue that I might run as a one shot sometime. Everyone makes a character who is nominally part of the Imperial Legion (or what have you), but they all secretly have a positive relationship with one Emperor opposed Icon (The Three, The Prince of Shadows, etc). Paranoia-esque antics ensue?

Player vs. Player combat would be very, very awkward in 13th age. Paranoia you can kill someone repeatedly with easy actions ("I put a grenade in the grill") and they come back 5 times minimum. 13th age has an out and out combat system, and if you're a Barbarian and the Bard fucks with you, you're giving him the sharp end of a waraxe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Dwarf King could have anything to do with merchants, architecture, secret cults, or even just an Old Boys club.

I'm the reason encounter 1 short circuited. I saw the ambush, snuck off to the side, and told half the ambushers I'd kill them if they didn't run. Then the mage set the main ambush on fire. (The survivors told us they only robbed us since we had a big cart; they were EXTREMELY dismayed when we told them it was just a prisoner).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

My rogue player couldn't make it until late in the session...

I get most of my campaign information from this thread. Your mutant Bug-Dwarves were terrifying.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Zarick posted:

I am the DM in Ferrinus's game, and while at first I was just going to ignore the rules problems, this thread has convinced me I need to do something about it, with so many smug shits going "heh, you want your character that you intend to invest in to be good? Maybe this game just isn't for you".
Nobody has said this. Please argue in good faith.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If your players are smart, they won't need to use more than 1 or 2 recoveries per fight. We didn't have a healer from level 1-3 and did fine (we had a bard and a paladin).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Jackard posted:

Didn't realize there was a recruitment thread; the only offer I've seen here was the oneshot by PublicOpinion.
Which turned into a 4-month long, ongoing campaign!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The rogue isn't underpowered. If your DM is feeding you traps, she's BY FAR the most competent to deal with them. With base stats of Dex and (Cha or Int), she's useful outside of combat sneaking or speaking. Shadowwalk lets you miss a round of being attacked in exchange for damage, and at level 5 your standard attacks are doing 5d8+2d8+10 damage, plus effects.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, but your Grim Priest soaked 112 damage after death.

I agree about the momentum thing. My opening move at level 5 (since level 4 really) is Bleeding Strike, then "Sure Cut" to finish off weakened enemies, and "Roll With It" to avoid being hit. Momentum never [i[]builds[/i]when the rogue does really well, and Spiky Bastard is a really lame ability I found...because if more than 2 things are attacking me at once, I'm done.

(Then again, I'm playing a High Elf, and between Tumbling Attack, Harmless Misdirection, and Teleport, I can get where I need to. It used to be really bad...I had Swashbuckling AND Evasive strike, so I could move around the field basically unimpeded through the first four rounds of combat.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Doublehex posted:

Oh God. If these are not a reference to Ornstein and Smough (AKA "The CEO and Vice-CEO of 'We Will poo poo You Up Inc.'") from Dark Souls than I will eat my lunch.

Looks like you're skipping lunch then!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

djw175 posted:

You know, the two ongoing campaigns I know of, the one I'm in and Ironicus', both have a "Go collect all the [X]." This is more of an idle observation than anything substantial. I don't think we've ever been west of Glitterhaegan.

I'd argue that we spent levels 1-3 locally, then became globetrotting. And despite our goal of "Collect all the X" (in our case, "Stop multiple cults groups from reviving a dead God"), we have a lot of character backstory things. Sort of the "Gears of War" model, where it mixes procedural encounters ones based on personal lives.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Well, all classes do that in a way, because you're picking between more moves and feats. As a rogue, I'm still using some level 1 abilities (Roll with it pairs well with a sash of suppleness, for example, to let you soak 32 damage without losing momentum.)

The barb does seem simple on the ground but that's how design goes. There's no reason you can't port a character over to a fury, a savant or a fighter between sessions.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

The High Elf teleport already exists, so if flight was constrained to roughly the same utility it wouldn't change my DMing much.

To be fair, the elven teleport is one per combat. When you pair it with a rogue, you have someone who can't be constrained easily, but the rogue's level 1s (Evasive strike, Tumbling Strike, and chances of Swashbuckling) mean it's not an unreasonable advantage. And I've only really used it in 2D (in a way similar to being a very good jumper or tumbler).

Flying isn't a new tool in the toolbox; it's a new toolbox. If your campaign can bear it, or other players can get equivalency (for example, in superhero games, Jumping Hella High and having a Grapple Gun both allow similar things). I wouldn't say hard ban, but handle with care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The rogue is good at it if they use their evasive strike, or even "harmless misdirection" (on a miss, intercept something worse!).

• Locked thread