Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So, where do I/can I sign up for the next round of Playtesting? Been meaning to try introduce a new system before I unveil my new lovely homebrew Persona module/poo poo for "Monster and other Childish THings"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So, where do I/can I sign up for the next round of Playtesting? Been meaning to try introduce a new system before I unveil my new lovely homebrew Persona module/poo poo for "Monster and other Childish THings"

Repost from last page. Ended up on bottom right as a new one came around.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mikan posted:

It came up it earlier on the last page - they mentioned potential plans to open up playtesting to a few more people, but there's nothing concrete that I know.

Ah, alright. Oh well, guess I might try Robots and Rapiers then.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Simon Rogers posted:

But I'm sure you have ideas which I'd love to hear. However, having glanced at your terrifying forum rules, I'm loathe to post this request on another thread.

Welcome to SA. :getin:

My first game will be tomorrow afternoon, and it'll mostly be going over system rules and making Characters. I can guarantee I'll have more to share then.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So where is the best place to discuss the playtesting?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

EDIT: Nevermind, tried redownloading and everything worked fine.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Laphroaig posted:

From a quick glance yesterday after D&D Encounters, my group seems to like most of the changes - two of the monk players were a bit disappointed but are glad the class is getting special attention.

A certain other RPG publisher (its Paizo and Sean K. Reynolds) just nerfed their Monk class into unplayability by making Flurry == TWF in all of the worst ways. Its nice to see the concept and class is appreciated by at least some developers in the industry; my first 3.0 character was a Monk, motivated by a lifetime of Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest kung-fu movies, so it seems you guys really know what kind of flavor I like to evoke personally.

That said I'm looking forward to how some of the new changes play.

May I ask why they were disappointed? Cause from what I've read Monk owns bones.

Also, what is TWF?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So, I can now officially say it

I am enjoying this playtest.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Think it'd be alright to talk about my party's makeup and my plans for the campaign? Because they came up with some really cool character concepts and I really want to let everyone shine because it's just such a unique party.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

What, no! Mooooooooooonk!

Also Druid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

In light of reading the 5E playtest, I feel I must say, I am enjoying this playtest so much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Just got done with my first Session.

All my players had fun, and I really had fun. Out of combat It was rather slow paced, but I think it was because of me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^^He reminds me of Lord British circa Ultima 6, though that's probably just all the purple. Time to roll up Iolo the Bard.

Mikan posted:

Yes, the Bard is easily the best and most interesting class in 13th Age.

Sorry, Mikan, I can't hear you over my monk performing Two Dogs Leap Astride a Giant Mantis.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 29, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

I don't know what this is, but it just sold a copy of the game.

It's not an actual power, but Shouting Haiku at dudes while doing monk things is Basically What A Monk Does.

VVVVVV True, plus isn't there a class feature for some class that gets you a bonus for renaming things?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 29, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I don't see why you couldn't though, it's just not explicitly said in the rules like Renaming/Fluffing :v:.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

Weeaboo anime bullshit of game design.

Also get the public playtest out, so I can contrast it with 5E for my home group.

Man, forget the Public Playtest, someone make it the future so I can just buy a copy of this game already.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

waderockett posted:

The first PC that I got back after sending that out was a halfling tavern bouncer and loan collector who was an altar boy of the Great Gold Wyrm. I was so happy.

Wait, is it cool to talk about our Player's Characters? Cause holy poo poo this game makes it so sweet to make interesting characters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

-Fish- posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, I just broke something and broke it bad. Can't wait for NDA to lift so I can see if anybody else caught it.

How Broke? Like Extra die of damage broke or full scale "Infinite Oregano" bad?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mikan posted:

Yep, I'm gonna have an assortment of pregens for people to play with.

One of them better be a WarDwarf-Forged :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'll pre-order Friday once I get paid. Even though apparently this game was designed by people who hate D&D and maps.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

1Q84 posted:

So for the people who were in the playtest, did any of you run any sessions with only 2-3 party members? I'm really curious as to how the game would run with a small party. Is it built around having a 5 player party like 4E?

4E is built around 5 members?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

rantmo posted:

That's a funny way to spell "Eberron." Seriously, the dragonmarked houses, the monarchs, the Lord of Blades, the Trust, the Aurum, et al; all of these fit seamlessly into the icon spot. And the background/OUT system is likewise a perfect fit.

Don't forget the churches, the silver flame, the Blood of Vol, the Dragon Below, Those Dragons that want to watch over/study the 'lesser races' and their place in the Draconic Prophecy, The dragon below, and finally all the different factions in Sarlona.

Eberron is the land of a thousand Icons.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

13oners.

e: 13Abies?

13thYearOlds.

Obviously, only literal children would enjoy such a game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

If you are going to do that just roll with 13agers.

That is an actual pun. I vote for this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Simon Rogers posted:

There is a chance.

Oh man. Please, please, please let this happen. I want to see what you guys did with the Monk and the Druid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sighnoceros posted:

I don't know if they're actively focusing on the Druid right now because they already said it's not making it into the main book. Probably going through the 700+ pages of feedback and tweaking stuff.

Oh, I didn't know that they were dropping it. At least I can see how they're fixing the Monk.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RSIxidor posted:

Eh, you're right. But I still think it should feel different than the Bard feature.

It Does.
Bard=Sings a song, tells a heroic tale, gets his friends inspired back into the fight
Barbarian="YOU COWARDS, GET BACK ON YOUR FEET, YOU CALL THAT A HIT?" style shouting to rouse the anger in allies to get them back into the fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

Holy poo poo Monk is terrible now. Ignoring the fact that for some reason Flurry got nerfed so it does less damage and can be used less often, and Opening Fist got killed completely (I know it was really good, but it also defined the style of play, flying about the battlefield constantly engaging new targets and doing high damage at the cost of suffering many AoEs) but in return we got Temple Weapon Master, which... lets you play your monk like a terrible tank. But worst of all, the distinction between inner and outer forms is gone, and with it the ability to increase the damage of your inner and outer forms is gone too. So the monk's been knocked down from d10 weapon damage to d6 weapon damage, and in exchange... everything else is worse too.

To make up for the fact that all of the monk's class features are weaker, all of the monk's forms are weaker too. All the added effects are inferior to their previous forms. The monk now has the dubious distinction of being the only class that does no damage on a miss, at least on some attacks.

I remember the reason monk was deemed 'unplayable' was because it didn't scale properly and did inferior damage at higher levels. So why does the new, fixed version of monk do less damage? I'm gonna run the numbers now to see if the math supports my initial impressions of the new class, but honestly I don't see how it could not.

I'm about to get into combat in the PbP and this is not a good thing to have happen to me.

I've run a few numbers and I've gotta agree with you. They needed to make the monk scale better, not weaken to this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Anyone else download still have the 2nd badge? Or did I just not get the 3rd version?

EDIT: Also wade, I'm not sure how much you can do about this but I've emailed the pelgrane support twice now about changing the address on my order of 13th age and the Order recipt still shows the old address.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

What, no! The beta version was so close to playable!

Goddammit. :smith:

We'll get the monk eventually Mystic, eventually :smith:.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ouch...I honestly can't pay another $50 for the game. It's more than the base book, and I really like your game and don't want to do .pdf only. $50 for a hard copy is...kinda a disappointment.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

waderockett posted:

An important Kickstarter update: 13th Age pre-order customers will get the 13 True Ways monk, druid and multiclassing chapters free in PDF.

We're profoundly grateful to all of you who pre-ordered the game, and we want to do right by you. I hope this helps to make it so.

God I love you Pelgrane guys. I'm trying to scrounge up the coin to get the hardbook in the kickstarter. If I can't you bet I'll be getting my hands on it when it hits the shelves.

VVVVVV Thanks Wade!

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Quick Question about Kickstarter. How does it decide where to ship things? Does it just use the credit/debit card's billing address?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dekar posted:

Every Kickstarter I did sent out an email asking for information.

Ah, well, that answers that. thanks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Simon Rogers posted:

A few Kickstarter answers, starting with doom and gloom (coincidentally, the names of my wizard character's henchmen):

• I can't see that druid, monk and multiclass options will happen, unless someone other than Rob and Jonathan write them (which could happen eventually, I suppose). They won't be released free as a PDF with the Escalation Edition in any case unless it's funded.

What? Why? You had a good base in the 1st version of the monk, you just needed to tweak the math a little bit.

quote:

Happy shiney news:
  • If we hit funding we'll add more stuff for everyone to the book at no additional cost.
  • If we are funded, kittens will frolic, Rob will grin, and I will persuade Wade to do a to-camera video in which he says "I'm Wade Rockett, the Rockettster" in his best serious PR voice.

This is cool I guess but I'm really devastated about the monk. It was easily the coolest class in the first version of the game and, while it need some sprucing up here and there, work pretty alright. It was mainly why I wanted the expansion, and it's really disappointing now that not only is it gone but it might never come back.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I wish there was more I could do to help out the kickstarter more.

Also, how's the Core book coming along? Any ETA on delivery?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

corillon posted:

I would be a little less vehement but I agree with the overall statement. I am a little disappointed. I hope the Kickstarter is funded so I get the character classes, but I have shelled out enough on a book I haven't received to spend more on a book I won't receive for even more time.

I think that is a run on sentence, somewhere an English teacher cries.

Sefer posted:

That's only if the Kickstarter gets funded, though. If the Kickstarter isn't funded, then we don't get those things at all. It does feel like we're being held hostage- "fund this Kickstarter or don't get everything you thought you were getting when you preordered!"

This is basically how I'm feeling at the moment. I mean, I really really want the kickstarter to get funded not because I just want things I thought I'd already have, but because the new stuff seems really amazing and cool, but it just kinda feels a bit blugh overall.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gau posted:

No, all markers show it's totally going to make it, especially if the funding curve ends up being parabolic like a lot of these efforts. There's a chance it might scrape by just under, but I doubt it. I have faith they can push it over the top.

Let's all hope, pray, and throw money at it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm working on a character right now who's One Unique Thing is that he's an aeon, half of an emanation of one of the gods of light. So far down the line he's got no real contact with the gods he came from, and he's trying to find the other half of his syzygy while trying to learn what his purpose is.
The Priestess is not sure what to think about him, he could be telling the truth, he could be a mixed up a prophet, or a demon in disguise so she's playing it safe an begrudgingly helping me until she gets word from upper management (1 conflicted). The Crusader thinks he's either a demon or an actual being from the gods of light so either way he's a target (1 Negative). The Diabolist see's how much trouble and hubbub he causes for the priestess and crusader and decides he's too much fun to pass up, helping him out even when it might hurt (1 positive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So, is there any chance we'll get a bit more in depth preview of the Living dungeon stuff from the kickstarter or are they just in conceptual stages atm?

• Locked thread