Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

moths posted:

The problem with flight is that now the DM has to design every single encounter around your special snowflake typing /NOCLIP.

Oh no, a DM basing encounter design what the players in his party are capable of? What dark horrors this has unleashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

moths posted:

And at that point it's high/long jumping. Flying is a totally different deal, no?

Not really. Because in encounters all flight really does, especially if you don't let them do combat stuff mid flight, is separate you from your party and make you a big, fat, open target. And that's assuming every encounter is gonna be in a nice big open space. It doesn't at a whole 3rd Dimension that you must add things to at all times forever and always, it's not even that great of a bonus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Does anyone have any good Merman-type enemies? Thinking of something similar to Davy Jones and crew from those Later Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Looking here for ideas to start off monster creating.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

New 13TW update posted to kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireopalmedia/13th-age-expansion-book-13-true-ways-0/posts/781649

Art is finished, design is coming along, and I'm curious about what exactly those pixies do. And the part most relevant to discussions here:

This is basically the best thing. Hopefully they're really cool and not just DarkBadWizards, but at least they are their own class.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

waderockett posted:

Finished chapters are going into layout now, and Simon's asked me to write the back cover copy. Both the necromancer and chaos mage are close to public playtest. Simon's announced that backers will get an Escalation Edition type pre-layout PDF in about two weeks, so you can expect someone's home to burn down. No final word on what pre- order customers will get.

Chaos Mage? Where's my beautiful Chaos Shaman? Was he even real in the first place? No one knows.

Also super excited to see the Necro and Chaos Whatever up for playtesting, as well as what the Monk and Druid will look like in their finalized versions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't paid much attention, but is the Monk still disappointing/a mess of archaic mechanics, depending on how lenient you want to voice that particular opinion?

It got a little bit better but still has some issues at the very core of the class since someone on the design team's still hasn't been beaten down about their boner for MAD. Like the forms are interesting again, the talents are neat, Ki points actually do things but the basic math is still kind of hosed because you're still a Front line fighter (Need Con) who hits with Dex, does damage based on Str, where your attack's features are based on Ki (Which are Wis based), so the core math is really swingy and aggravating if you didn't happen to roll really good stats. They created a really dumb band-aid patch by giving the monk player another free +2 to a stat but even then that just ensures you can do 2-3 things out of 4 of the Core Features Of Your Class, aka The things this class is supposed to be specifically good at.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

waderockett posted:

I'll be interested to see whether you'd still describe it that way after you've seen the class.

Describe it as what, Interesting?

Wade's talkin some heated poo poo in this topic :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'll say again I've made a monk who has totally been able to put her lowest ability as Wisdom and I haven't suffered for it just by picking smart and getting the Ki Feats.

Wait, so you've not suffered for it from not being able to actively do your One of Class's Core Features by using your feats, which are supposed to be used to help you specialize you character and help you do better at the things you want to do, to shore up your weakness so you can use your class feature?

Look, if you have to spend feats to do a thing your class is meant to do well just to be able to do it at least adequately then the design is at least a little hosed.

• Locked thread