Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Unknown Quantity posted:

So after reading the big debacle that is the 13 true ways stuff and issues with melee classes, there's really only one thing to say about the current state of affairs.

"The 13th Age: Too Many Monte Cooks Spoil the Broth"

Some friends and I are looking at 13th age and hadn't seen anything on this, is there somewhere I can read up on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I was curious how feasible it might be to rig together a parallel system to magic items which represented, effectively, fantastic inventions / engineering marvels / ingenuity-based fare that was comparable to magic. I figure you could coincide similar limitations via notions of literal power limits or device maintenance and all that jazz. Has anyone tooled around with exploring that sort of thing?

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 26, 2014

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
From a designing-new-stuff standpoint, I am curious what folks think re: races when it comes to going bare-bones simple & straightforward (e.g. Humans +2 to any score, a bonus feat, roll initiative twice) and multiple-ability/power elaborate, such as with the Gearforged (very bottom of http://www.13thagesrd.com/character-rules the Kobold Press Gearforged have just gobs going on.) I'd be kind of keen to feel out a good middle ground between the two extremes--have a little bit more elaborate powers / tidbits for each given entry and/or have multiple possible powers to pick from rather than just one for each.

On a separate note, how might folks feel about something like Traits adapted for 13th Age? My inclination there would be streamlining down to minor power / flavor type traits and eschewing anything that just fiddles with math.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
So on further race-creation shenanigans, I am trying to grapple with the notion of a player-character accessible race with the inherent ability to fly--and how best to handle it. Plenty of monsters have the ability to fly, but places in the rules which mention flight are pretty barebones limited beyond the general understanding that you're moving in three dimensions when you fly. Flight via magic crops up as a seventh level wizard spell--so my question is basically what the best approach would be to work around a winged race.

Presumably, if a race has flight then that's their schtick as far as racial powers are concerned, but is it something that works best if it starts off limited and then gets expanded on through feats? Is that even a big deal? Does that then imply that members of the race who aren't heroic characters aren't actually very good at flying? I'd prefer to try and approach it from the stance of baseline -> Flight, if you're chasing a champion feat on it or the like you're picking up fun maneuvers or something of the like with it instead.

Potentially, as a baseline if the character was in flight, they might be needing to keep constantly moving to stay airborne which would trade off what all they could get up to in the air short of some hover-feat equivalent down the line. Would it be grossly unbalancing?

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 12, 2014

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

SirFozzie posted:

Good news everyone that ordered the 13th age Bestiary:

Just got an email:

The latest version of the Bestiary is available from your order page - fully laid out. It's off to the printers shortly.

Also, They mention a Midgard 13th Age Bestiary from Kobold Press, but that link is currently 404.

Thanks for the heads up, the 13th Age Bestiary is fantastic--they really went all-out with it and the layout looks solid. For what it's worth, I bought the Midgard 13th Age Bestiary previously as well after having used it originally with Pathfinder games and they added tons of stuff for the 13th Age release to cover PC races, Icons, etc--the Midgard book is really more of a Midgard 13th Age edition just short of the broader strokes of their setting books.

• Locked thread