Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Man, I wish my gaming group had any consistency with when we meet or I'd jump on this fast. Maybe I'll apply anyway and see what happens; no harm in it and you guys are making this sound incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ok, I'm almost at the point where I'm as excited for this game as I am for Guild Wars 2.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

hey if youre still in chicago and you or I get our hands on the pkaytest I already have a group ready and willing, a bit of a dnd romp separatw from our FATE fantasy game sounds like a blast.

I didn't end up signing up for this first round but I'm definitely signing up for next month's round. But yeah, you've got a deal :hfive:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have to say this: they're being a hell of a lot more professional than most of us would be under the circumstances.

They've likely not subjected themselves to 1,705 pages of grognards.txt like we have.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

This is now a no play testers sub forum. We'll allow one to remain but you must battle to the death for that privilege.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm honestly not sure how to react to that.

I'm glad there's Iron Heroes to serve as precedent for Cook liking something I like.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

As if I wasn't excited enough about this game, they have a G+ page! I love anything that uses G+ (I feel so alone there.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I've reviewed like a half-dozen good RPGs in there.

Many of which are considerably less obscure than before the thread.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Vanadium posted:

:sun:

I'm proud to be one of those +1s :smug: The few, the proud, the... few people who actually use G+ :smith:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I am enjoying doing the reading to enjoy this playtest.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I have now Enjoyed This Playtest.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I haven't started my proper playtest report yet, but I think that the abbreviated version I'm about to post here goes a damned long way to show how much we Enjoyed This Playtest. I was at rehearsal with three of the five friends I playtested with and they asked when we were going to play our next session of our 13th Age campaign. I didn't even run a particularly good session but the hooks are in.

Also, since halflings being awesome was mentioned I will relate my favorite character from the playtest; Bollo the wizard. And by "wizard" I mean, "arcane chef." Bollo's one unique thing is that he's "a frighteningly good chef-absolutely anything he cooks tastes great." Bolo trained at the School of Imperial Wizardry and channeled all of his magic through his ladle. He didn't cast spells; he mixed ingredients and hurled them with his ladle like it was a lacrosse stick.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Five pages of playtest feedback in and done with. I Enjoyed That Playtest, like, a whole bunch.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I haven't received any further playtest correspondence either. No love for goons? After all we've done for you?!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

rekenner posted:

okay.
Either you're bullshitting.
Or you've pulled off the :master: to end all :master:s.
I'm not entirely sure what to think.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of it either but it was a beautiful post. Also, who cares? Cover art!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Laphroaig posted:

I am not actually Rob Heinsoo. I am glad a lot of us will get playtesting credit though, it is looking to be a fun game. I am really looking forward to the finished version.

That's exactly the sort of thing Rob Heinsoo would say if he wanted us to think he wasn't him! Christ, that convoluted grammar made me dizzy...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lochness_Hamster posted:

This needs to be a Blurb on the book

"RPGsite hates it, you know it must be good"

"Pundits seal of Disapproval"

Really? Oh please post these.

Edit: never mind, saw it over on grogs.txt.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 13, 2012

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I think classic D&D realms like FR and Dark Sun would fit well into the icon system.

That's a funny way to spell "Eberron." Seriously, the dragonmarked houses, the monarchs, the Lord of Blades, the Trust, the Aurum, et al; all of these fit seamlessly into the icon spot. And the background/OUT system is likewise a perfect fit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow, I actually got that reference.

"Hey everybody, someone said 'matress' to Simon, twice!" :v:

Yeah, I would never have expected that one to be referenced, like, ever. Way to go for the deep cut Wade.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Why has no one started freaking out that Greg Stolze is going to write stuff for the 13th Age Facebook game? Because I hate Facebook games but I'm super excited to see what he'll do in the setting.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Combat takes a little getting used to, no doubt about it. The biggest hurdle my group found, and bear in mind we only got to play once, is that given how freeform the movement rules are, it wasn't always easy to figure out if we were using said rules correctly. As we got into the swing of things, we figured out that it really didn't matter too much. There are a few rules that I do hope they clean up some, but by and large a shrug and a "yeah, sure that works" keeps thing fast and fun. My group are big 4e fans, in large part because we love a good, tactical combat. 13th Age is really of a similar bent but is coming at it from a different angle.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

PublicOpinion posted:

I was wondering that too, but it could be like 4e where you're expected to retrain heroic feats to their paragon or epic version.

Some of the higher-tier feats sound like they build off the lower-level ones but that doesn't seem at all consistent.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

So taking on the Icons. It seems to me that as the Icons are not merely individuals, but are forces of nature, of the world itself and represent not merely the individual(s) but the organization surrounding them. That's how you attack an Icon. You want to overthrow the Emperor? Great. You don't do it by storming the throne room, you do it by causing the outlying lands to rebel. You start an insurrection, you scatter the army, destroy the Emperor's reputation with the populace, subvert his guards, lay siege to Nexus and only then do you head towards the throne room. And at that point, whether or not he puts up a fight may be irrelevant. You've destroyed the Emperor. Statting up the Icons, to my mind at least, misses the point of them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I know ASH LAW as this internet person I keep encountering on various social networks but I have no idea who he is.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well that is very exciting.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Skunked the last $30 hardcover :dance:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Oh man, my friend Steve is writing for 13 Age :monocle: That's a good choice all around.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Right the hell now. It was Horizon by a whole goddamned lot.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

waderockett posted:

Is there a major game convention there? When Ironicus asked I did some Googling but didn't see anything.

Wizard World Chicago, a big board game convention, and some anime convention are the closest things we get sadly. Chicago is really badly set up if you want to run a convention like that, the spaces that could accommodate it are either out of the city proper near O'Hare or at the one major convention center south of downtown. Either one would be prohibitively expensive. We've got a really great game store now at least.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

whydirt posted:

I think you know what this means - 2013 is the inaugural year of WinsonCon!

I bet you could get the second storefront at the Dice Dojo for it Winson! What neighborhood are you in anyway?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Depending on your setting, you could also cast your Joan d'Crusader analogue as a xenophobe who just wants [THEM] out of her land, if they would just go back to where they came from she wouldn't have to be at the head of this army leading them to reclaim the land that's rightfully her people's. You can, from there, tweak just how right or wrong you want her to be to fit the needs of the setting, and even strike her into a really uncomfortable balance between the two. One could even go so far as to cast her as the head of a Fascistic-like movement if you wanted to go really extreme, though I may have been reading way too much WWII stuff than can be healthy.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

waderockett posted:

And if it has, pre-orderers on this forum may want to look at the credits page.

That's loving great! Also, because the playtesters are listed alphabetically by first name, I'm after Mikan and that amuses me for some reason.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's a cool concept for a setting and Rich Baker does great work but man, the price points for that campaign are a non-starter for me, even if I was only a fan of one of the systems instead of two, it would be too pricey by half.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That Eldritch Knight looks like a ton of fun to play, I'm almost getting a warcaster from Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms feel from it. I'll need to bookmark that one or save it as a .pdf or something.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Has this shipped/arrived for US folks yet?

According to Page XX, "most" US shipments should be going out today from Nevada.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

Anyone in NA gotten their books yet?

There have been a few regular editions that have been posted on G+ from the states, including one in Indiana, which is unacceptable to me as a Chicagoan :colbert:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I got my copy in Chicago today! Mine even has One Unique Thing; I can't manage to get my phone to take a picture of it! It is protected through eldritch sorcery, thus making it immune to being posted on Twitter :smug:

Edit: The book feels just massive, in the best way possible; it's really well-constructed and just feels great in the hand. It's been so long since I've held a full-sized, hardcover game book in my hands, it's kind of strange but familiar.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 5, 2013

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The corners of the book are so precise and sharp that they wore a small hole in the bottom of my backpack. That is a mark of quality and also I need to put something in the bottom of my backpack so I can take the book with me to read.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Given the degree to which 13th Age's profile has increased since the 13 True Ways campaign, it seems really short-sighted to me to restrict access to pre-orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Besides fists as a weapon, what else do you imagine a pugilist doing? What makes it different from a Fighter or a Barbarian?

If you're talking pugilism as in British bare-knuckle boxing, which one ought to because that would be legit and badass, you're talking about a combatant that in many ways is more of a a grappler than a modern boxer. They're great at throwing punches, and given the old-timey stance and milling have a strong element of defense and even misdirection, plus a big focus on endurance given the length of matches, but the bread and butter of bareknuckle is grappling; throwing, countering, and not actually falling down whenever possible. Even if you expand it out to the related British martial arts of collar-and-elbow wrestling and purring you're still in many ways dealing with a grappler. All of that is without even leaving the UK for other European martial arts like la Savate or Fiore's armizare.

I could fight nerd derail this pretty badly, but I'll refrain and just distill it to a very tough and physical grappler.

lenoon posted:

Disabling would be the mechanic I'd go for. A good uppercut leaves the monster reeling, a hit to the solar plexus makes them double over in pain. A scientific, noble sport.

That would be a part of it too, but historically what a pugilist would do would be to get in close and toss their opponent to the ground (and hopefully land on them) to wear them out and/or disable them to prevent them from standing back up to toe the line, at least in the formalized version.

• Locked thread