Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Doctor Schnabel posted:

please dont post about jrpgs in the underrail thread tyvm
Please stop posting words in the rebus thread

nerdz posted:

Speaking about dungeon Crawlers, I just went back to Demise:Ascension, the sequel to 1994's Mordor: Depths of Dejenol. To this day I think there's no other game like it. Faster paced than most ARPGs, unforgiving but fair, impossibly huge, full of complex mechanics like multiclassing, pets and aging. It really feels like a labor of love. I keep coming back to it for years and I don't think I've even managed to get lower than floor 15 or so (of 30+).
I have never heard of this, which makes me sad given how much I was hunting for, like, ANYTHING in the mid-1990s that would be a big enough RPG to keep me occupied for a while. Truly those were dark times. Though looking at Mordor: Depths of Dejenol screenshots, I might have thought it looked too much like a business application at the time. Pretty interesting to see now in hindsight, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Demise was always a weird as hell purchase from what I recall. It was off the market for a long time, then I think I ended up getting it on Gamergate or something.

Anyway I preferred Mordor to it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Speaking of dungeon crawlers, what's the general consensus on the Ishar games? That's one old series I never tried. I really like the design of the UI, it's got that very early-90s art style that was common in a lot of Psygnosis games. I'm not about to drop money on something just because I like the graphics though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Demise was always a weird as hell purchase from what I recall. It was off the market for a long time, then I think I ended up getting it on Gamergate or something.

Anyway I preferred Mordor to it.

I feel like mordor 2 was the perfect balance between the 2. Going with 3d monsters really hasnt aged that well. Too bad it's very buggy, but it's free. They say it's a demo but it's at least as big as mordor. I believe there's even a patch to add more levels and there are lots of fan patches that fix most of the bugs that would break your progression, like missing guild items.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

nerdz posted:

Speaking about dungeon Crawlers, I just went back to Demise:Ascension, the sequel to 1994's Mordor: Depths of Dejenol. To this day I think there's no other game like it. Faster paced than most ARPGs, unforgiving but fair, impossibly huge, full of complex mechanics like multiclassing, pets and aging. It really feels like a labor of love. I keep coming back to it for years and I don't think I've even managed to get lower than floor 15 or so (of 30+).

I was surprised to discover it's still in active development, which is good. Has anyone else played this? It also has persistent servers so people can rescue you if you die in multiplayer.

I've always wanted to try Ascension, but it's very expensive and I'm not willing to risk $32.50 for a game still being worked on that could be shite. I've also wanted to play Devil Whiskey because I am a sucker for Bard's Tale-like games, but again not willing to risk the money on it. I've had it marked on Gamersgate for years, but it never goes on sale.

Edit: Demise: Rise of Ku'Tan (Mordor 2, essentially) looks pretty good for a tenner, though. I might splurge on that. Ascension, which I take to be the sequel to that, isn't done yet as far as I can tell.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Speaking of dungeon crawlers, what's the general consensus on the Ishar games?

I almost spit out my soda; there's an old PC RPG that Genpei hasn't played? :)

Just teasing. I'm curious too. Never played them and I have the trilogy on GOG. I know that that sounds stupid, but it's hard to say no to an interesting-looking collection of RPGs for $1.99 (on sale).

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 21, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Edit: Demise: Rise of Ku'Tan (Mordor 2, essentially) looks pretty good for a tenner, though. I might splurge on that. Ascension, which I take to be the sequel to that, isn't done yet as far as I can tell.

Demise Ascension is sort of an expansion to Demise: Rise of Ku'Tan, with some bug fixes and balancing. Most if not all of the new content is added as endgame after you go through the demise campaign, so I'm probably dumb as hell for buying ascension since I'll probably never reach that far (hundreds of hours to get there).

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
So earlier in the thread I posted about Grid Cartographer 4's "Game Link 2.0" feature where you can play games in a window within the mapping tool (rather than having to alt-tab). I recorded a quick first-look video to show it more clearly than my earlier screenshot did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMK8YQirTw

I've also been having a lot of support over on GOG.com where GC is currently No.5 on the 'most voted for games this week' list http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games (which is a nice morale boost if nothing else comes of it.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hidden Asbestos posted:

So earlier in the thread I posted about Grid Cartographer 4's "Game Link 2.0" feature where you can play games in a window within the mapping tool (rather than having to alt-tab). I recorded a quick first-look video to show it more clearly than my earlier screenshot did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMK8YQirTw

I've also been having a lot of support over on GOG.com where GC is currently No.5 on the 'most voted for games this week' list http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games (which is a nice morale boost if nothing else comes of it.)

this owns owns owns

I verified my v2 upgrade but never ended up buying v3, guess I'll jump on v4.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

nerdz posted:

Demise Ascension is sort of an expansion to Demise: Rise of Ku'Tan, with some bug fixes and balancing. Most if not all of the new content is added as endgame after you go through the demise campaign, so I'm probably dumb as hell for buying ascension since I'll probably never reach that far (hundreds of hours to get there).

Can you actually have a party in those games? I watched some gameplay and it sure looked like you could have up to 8 dudes, but every video I saw only seemed to have one PC. For $10 Demise 1 seems worth a try, but that seemed really odd to me. I much prefer party RPGs to single ones, except for ARPGS.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm not about to drop money on something just because I like the graphics though.
I would say I am not sure that is the right attitude to have for this thread, but actually...graphics are probably the least-likely thing to inspire a random purchase in this thread.

I have also always wondered about the Ishar games, particularly since you can import your characters between them and I do so love that.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I see you have introduced us all to your mascot Carto with this video

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Can you actually have a party in those games? I watched some gameplay and it sure looked like you could have up to 8 dudes, but every video I saw only seemed to have one PC. For $10 Demise 1 seems worth a try, but that seemed really odd to me. I much prefer party RPGs to single ones, except for ARPGS.

Yep, you can have 4 characters in your party, and each of them can have 4 companions(pets), amounting to a 20 person party. You'll hardly be able to manage 16 companions at once and they are rather disposable, since they don't level up, can leave your party or turn against you and you lose most of them on death and all of them when you die. You can use charm spells to control any enemy in the game, and other spells to keep them under control so they don't leave. Sometimes if your charisma is high enough some of the enemies will ask to join your party, which makes them less likely to leave on their own. They may leave or turn on you if you have monsters they don't like in your party as well.

I used to crawl with a single person party (XP is distributed by damage dealt, so single chars level faster), but that's a very quick way to die constantly. Each char can carry one body, so if two people die, you can carry 2 people back out of the dungeon. If three people die, you have to bring one back and then run back to the get rest of them. If everyone dies, you have to wait for npcs to find your body, which is a "wait for rescuers" button. Depending on how deep you are, it might take days, months or years, which will increase your age. As characters age, there's more chance of permanent stat losses on ressurection (stat losses arent a big deal since you also earn stats very often) and even permanent death if they're too old. Humans have the shortest lifespan, elves have almost four times as much.

Combat is very fast, which each turn taking around 1 to 2 seconds with no pause, so you'll only be able to control one char in combat, though most of the time you only want the default attack. So in a party with a fighter, a thief, an explorer and a mage you'll probably take control over the mage to cast AOE spells while the rest do their default autoattacks, and outside the battle you will use the thief to disarm traps and the explorer to avoid dungeon traps, map the dungeon and teleport you back to safety. You can also set a default combat action other than attack, such as defend or use an item.

If I sound extremely into the game mechanics, it's because I've never seen other non-roguelike dungeon crawling game with such deep mechanics in all aspects. Would anyone suggest other fun dungeon crawlers? Preferrably ones where you go back to a town to trade and the dungeon is not random.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 22, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Thank you for the information. I found that there is an apparently freeware expansion to the first Demise that was done with the permission of the creator called Demise - The Revelation that installs really easily and fixes a host of bugs and balance issues. I was willing to pay out a few bills for just Rise of the Ku'Tan and slap this on top of it, but as far as I can tell the original can't be bought alone. Correct me if I'm wrong, you can only buy it with Ascension, the more modern remake that still isn't quite finished (or at least hasn't been updated since Autumn 2014) for $32.50, and I don't want to commit that much. It's both a pity and a bit odd, since the Mordor games are still available even if they only run on 32-bit OSs and Devil Whiskey has dropped in price a bit, because it looks like it has potential. There seem to be a lot of mechanics and the dungeons are mind-blowingly massive.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you for the information. I found that there is an apparently freeware expansion to the first Demise that was done with the permission of the creator called Demise - The Revelation that installs really easily and fixes a host of bugs and balance issues. I was willing to pay out a few bills for just Rise of the Ku'Tan and slap this on top of it, but as far as I can tell the original can't be bought alone. Correct me if I'm wrong, you can only buy it with Ascension, the more modern remake that still isn't quite finished (or at least hasn't been updated since Autumn 2014) for $32.50, and I don't want to commit that much. It's both a pity and a bit odd, since the Mordor games are still available even if they only run on 32-bit OSs and Devil Whiskey has dropped in price a bit, because it looks like it has potential. There seem to be a lot of mechanics and the dungeons are mind-blowingly massive.

$32 is a hard sell for a game which definitely has an acquired taste, as most old RPGs do. But Ascension is definitely in a way better place than Vanilla Demise in regards to stability and content.

And the Demise: Ascension installer apparently has a full featured 30-day trial, which is a really, really long time for a game trial. Maybe even time enough for you to play the game and be done with it. Download it here:

http://www.decklinsdemise.com/patches.php

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Demise is cool but there are frustrating bits to it, such as the guild quests. You can effectively get brickwalled from leveling up until you manage to find the quest target. Which isn't always easy because even if you know which rooms they spawn in, those rooms have a bunch of other possible encounters too, so if the RNG doesn't favor you you can be waiting on the respawn over and over again while pinned and essentially wasting experience every time you get in combat.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a medical mystery posted:

Demise is cool but there are frustrating bits to it, such as the guild quests. You can effectively get brickwalled from leveling up until you manage to find the quest target. Which isn't always easy because even if you know which rooms they spawn in, those rooms have a bunch of other possible encounters too, so if the RNG doesn't favor you you can be waiting on the respawn over and over again while pinned and essentially wasting experience every time you get in combat.

The seer helps a lot, though. If you spend enough money on his monster search services you can have a guaranteed position for the monster you're looking for. Also ascension made all the random guild quests optional, which is a really, really good thing. The only advantage to doing them now is that it gives you a level up at no gold cost, which is ridiculous considering how cheap they are until very high levels. I basically decline all of them.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Demise is something very out there, but if Decklin can ever finally get Ascension fully sorted and out and about in a "normal" commercial situation on Steam and the like---it should have potential to find a bigger audience and actually get some traction. The man is almost as cursed with business woes in the overall strange history of it as DW Bradley when it came to everything...but thankfully he didn't hew in the direction of Dungeon Lords like the latter did as a result.

Devil Whiskey is definitely an apt peer from the dark ages/lost years of indie cRPG doings of this style---in a best world, they could all start anew in these much improved and more fertile grounds instead literally being stuck between time and damned to not be able to throw in with even the classics because they are just too far afield.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nerdz posted:

The seer helps a lot, though. If you spend enough money on his monster search services you can have a guaranteed position for the monster you're looking for. Also ascension made all the random guild quests optional, which is a really, really good thing. The only advantage to doing them now is that it gives you a level up at no gold cost, which is ridiculous considering how cheap they are until very high levels. I basically decline all of them.

Oh nice, I remember them being mandatory in Mordor/base Demise though you could take a hit on your level in order to "reroll" them IIRC.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Just a reminder that this still exists (kinda) - last update a couple months ago:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/grimoire-forever/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

The Joe Man posted:

Just a reminder that this still exists (kinda) - last update a couple months ago:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/grimoire-forever/

I was just thinking about this two days ago. All things considered, this might be the most famous vapourware in the history of gaming.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cleve is a very strange man and that has to be one of the weirdest sagas in game development.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jordan7hm posted:

Cleve is a very strange man and that has to be one of the weirdest sagas in game development.

Strange forsooth. Trust me, I'm not rooting for it to be a decades-long running joke that is naught but sound and fury signifying nothing, ever. I would like very much to see it be finished as a commercial product that I can purchase and enjoy. I tried the demo and it was promising, but at this point I think that Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar will never be anything more than a somewhat amusing, somewhat tragic story of gaming hubris and weirdness.

Fake Edit: Sorry for the goofy language; I was reading Shakespeare earlier.

Further Fake Edit: I'm actually not sorry at all - forsooth is a grand word.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Bah, it is a failure of reality that I can't even split the odds anymore between Grimoire, Ultimate Newcomer GOLD, and Darghul as far as which grandly long simmering cRPG will actually, finally make it out first. I mean, there was the Super Demo thing, so technically there's hope* but...

Madness, Obscurity, Wanderlust---pick your poison in roughly that order.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

grimoire's never coming out. the only game there is is relentlessly trolling cleve on the rpgcodex thread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleve goes in two-year cycles of productivity and temper tantrums/doomsaying. Seems to be the latter at the moment.

Also, back on topic in the Underrail thread please.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I just started my first character following weeks of character creation anxiety. Hoping to be a psi monk who shuts ppl down with crowd control then punches them to death, maybe with stealth and grenades for flexibility. I'm not sure about the dodge/evasion skills, the crafting skills or the persuasion skills so I figure a few points into them won't hurt to start out. Stealth just seems necessary given my low Constitution.

Stats:
Strength 3
Dexterity 10
Agility 6
Constitution 4
Perception 3
Will 10
Intelligence 4

Skills:
Throwing 10
Melee 15

Dodge 0
Evasion 10 (I don't really understand which of these to take. Maybe both?)

Stealth 10
Hacking 5 (I figured I needed one of these types of skill right??)

Mechanics 5
Electronics 5
Biology 5
Tailoring 5

Thought Control 10
Psychokinesis 10
Metathermics 10

Persuasion 10
Intimidate 10

Expertise
Opportunist

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Just finished Fighter - Black Belt - Black Belt - Red Wizard playthrough of Final Fantasy 1. I've done the 4 white and 4 black wizard playthroughs. Let's talk about games like Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Warrior 3, FFL2 and of course classic PC (Wizardry, M&M, Bard's Tale, SSI gold box etc) RPG party composition. What's your best party for minmax wrecking a game? Fighter - BB - BB - Red Mage is mine for FF1; The fighter tanks poo poo so well the two monks don't give any fucks and dish out tons of damage, meanwhile you have a omni spellcaster to handle utility poo poo like life1 etc.

I did a fun playthrough of the 4 forgotten realms goldbox games that let you transfer saves doing a Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Fighter-Mage-Thief Elf playthrough where obviously a lot of the fighters got dual-classed into mages later on. Ultimately in that one 2 fighters become fighter-mages, the cleric becomes a cleric-paladin, the other fighter a fighter-cleric, the mage becomes a mage-ranger, and the fighter-mage-thief elf chick hangs around the whole time getting increasingly irrelevant.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

chairface posted:

Just finished Fighter - Black Belt - Black Belt - Red Wizard playthrough of Final Fantasy 1. I've done the 4 white and 4 black wizard playthroughs. Let's talk about games like Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Warrior 3, FFL2 and of course classic PC (Wizardry, M&M, Bard's Tale, SSI gold box etc) RPG party composition. What's your best party for minmax wrecking a game? Fighter - BB - BB - Red Mage is mine for FF1; The fighter tanks poo poo so well the two monks don't give any fucks and dish out tons of damage, meanwhile you have a omni spellcaster to handle utility poo poo like life1 etc.

I did a fun playthrough of the 4 forgotten realms goldbox games that let you transfer saves doing a Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Fighter-Mage-Thief Elf playthrough where obviously a lot of the fighters got dual-classed into mages later on. Ultimately in that one 2 fighters become fighter-mages, the cleric becomes a cleric-paladin, the other fighter a fighter-cleric, the mage becomes a mage-ranger, and the fighter-mage-thief elf chick hangs around the whole time getting increasingly irrelevant.

Haven't played much of the goldbox games, but yeah, it seems like one Fighter/Mage/Thief is necessary (or at least highly preferable) to get you through the early game. Later on, everyone else is probably strong enough that you can live with having the one underleveled hybrid character taking up space.

Bard's Tale - I've played the first game a lot, main thing is surviving the early game long enough to get a couple of Lv5 mages (the AoE attack magic is a game-changer) and three well-armored meat shields. Monks do tons of damage, Hunters have the crit, and that's cool and all, but you never actually need any of that. You just want non-squishy front-liners to protect your super-mages. Warriors and Paladins are the best tanks, Rogues are absurdly useless, and you need exactly one Bard, so I suspect the best early-game party is something like Pa-Wa-Wa-Ba-Co-Ma, and then at Lv5 you ditch the second Warrior for another magic user, so you end up with Pa-Wa-Ba up front and three archmages in the back for the endgame. But I haven't tried that yet, and I don't know what the optimal party is for the second or third game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have a saved run of FF1 on the PSP that I did where I did a challenge that involves getting promoted at the lowest level possible. It's a good port of the game, just too easy apart from some of the super bosses and some really idiotic dungeon design. I will freely admit that Black Belts in FF1 are beasts*, but I don't like them because they have no spell capabilities and are boring. Definitely part of making the strongest team possible, but not fun for me personally. My FF1-PSP party had a Knight, Ninja (who are fantastic in that version), Red Mage, White Mage. Black Mages don't mean so much in that game because that version is all about doing tons of single-target damage, and Black Mages are all about hitting every enemy at once for moderate damage. White Mages still get tons of HP (balanced by shite defence) but are phenomenal healers with the new spell point system, and I honestly don't know how I would beat some of the super bosses without them. Red Mages are not as great as they were in the original, but they are solid in combat and get some of the best buffs (FAST, TMPR, INVS). Their heals and nukes are mediocre, though, because their INT score doesn't grow that fast. Knights are still the same high HP, high DEF tanks with a few spells that they were before, and Ninjas are superb. They get FAST and TMPR, have incredibly high evasion and hit rates which makes them the highest damage dealers in melee in the game apart from Black Belts, and have good HP and can use most gear, which makes them very well-rounded. Ninjas in the original were pretty good if you could live with having a shite thief for most of the game, but in the remakes they are excellent.

*I beat the original FF1 on the NES back in 80s at max level (50) with two moves: my Black Mage cast FAST on the Black Belt and he hit the final boss for over 2000 damage, which is his max HP.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Underrail is so good you guys

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Underrail is so good you guys

how's the deep caverns now. i beat it on the first release verson and it was hell.

age of decadence on the other hand is bad

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 2, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

rujasu posted:

Bard's Tale - I've played the first game a lot, main thing is surviving the early game long enough to get a couple of Lv5 mages (the AoE attack magic is a game-changer) and three well-armored meat shields. Monks do tons of damage, Hunters have the crit, and that's cool and all, but you never actually need any of that. You just want non-squishy front-liners to protect your super-mages. Warriors and Paladins are the best tanks, Rogues are absurdly useless, and you need exactly one Bard, so I suspect the best early-game party is something like Pa-Wa-Wa-Ba-Co-Ma, and then at Lv5 you ditch the second Warrior for another magic user, so you end up with Pa-Wa-Ba up front and three archmages in the back for the endgame. But I haven't tried that yet, and I don't know what the optimal party is for the second or third game.

The second is just more of the same and spellcasting gets yet more powerful to the point you might want 4 archmages instead of 3. The third bard's tale has the added problem of actually requiring a rogue and some added utility caster classes you need to travel across time and space. But BT3's kind of a trashfire in a lot of ways.

Gold box games were kinda similar in that the further you went up in levels, the better spellcasters got and the worse other options fared.

The Might and Magic games have a particularly fun transition going from 6 to 7 in that 6 was all about Magic and not so much Might, but the changes made in 7 create some actual motivations to use physical classes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

chairface posted:

What's your best party for minmax wrecking a game? Fighter - BB - BB - Red Mage is mine for FF1; The fighter tanks poo poo so well the two monks don't give any fucks and dish out tons of damage, meanwhile you have a omni spellcaster to handle utility poo poo like life1 etc.

Kind of depends on which version of FF1 you play. On the NES, there's no real reason to bring along anything other than Warrior and Red Mage (maybe one White Mage if you're feeling fancy) because Intelligence is bugged, Thieves are horrible until you turn them into Ninjas, and you're not going to reach the levels at which Black Belts become powerful unless you're willing to grind. The remakes were much better at balancing the various classes, though they also made the game so easy that it didn't really matter either way.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 2, 2016

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

rujasu posted:

That party setup works fine for BT1, but is suboptimal for 2 and especially 3. Midway through BT2 you hit a weird difficulty spike where average mooks have thousands of HPs, to the point where your Warriors, Monks, and Paladins will be unable to do enough damage to kill anything in a single round. It's not bad to have one as a meatshield, but at this point Hunters become really good, because at high levels they virtually always insta-kill everything they attack, every time. They'll still be second fiddle to your archmages but it's nice to have SOMETHING on your front line that's not completely worthless.

For 3 you have to have a rogue, as in it's basically impossible to complete the game without one. There are a handful of boss fights where only a rogue can get close enough to the boss to even attack. Melee classes with the exception of the hunter are even more useless than they were in BT2. If you've got any Paladins, Warriors, or Monks in your party they're prime fodder for being turned into Geomancers--losing their multiple-hit ability is no big deal since it doesn't do any good anyway. Also for 3 you pretty much have to have 3 Archmages--one of them has to be turned into a Chronomancer and lose ALL their Archmage spells in the process. Chronomancer spells are cool but they're no substitute for the huge range of things an Archmage can cast.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

how's the deep caverns now. i beat it on the first release verson and it was hell.

I had to spam the gently caress outta the cheat engine in DC but besides that section twas a good game for sure.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

nerdz posted:

Um, since this thread is alive and the AoD thread was pretty much DOA, how do I make a combat character that can survive the whole game? Like, what stats and what armor and what weapons, because I tried a bunch of combinations, and all of them failed to get past the mountain pass siege.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drkeiscool posted:

Um, since this thread is alive and the AoD thread was pretty much DOA, how do I make a combat character that can survive the whole game? Like, what stats and what armor and what weapons, because I tried a bunch of combinations, and all of them failed to get past the mountain pass siege.

I made a dagger dude that simply went for the throat stab with poison then got away while people bled to death. That was good enough to beat the arena, with lots of reloading though. The dagger you get for helping a dude being mugged in the arena city is great for almost the entire game.

And yeah, that part is bullshit, and not actually meant to be solved with combat unless you're completely focusing on blacksmithing to create ridiculously broken weapons and combat focus.

BTW, I sided with the invaders then killed everyone after we broke through. Good enough for a combat solution I guess.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I had to spam the gently caress outta the cheat engine in DC but besides that section twas a good game for sure.

I managed to get to the very end (boss fight) and only had to cheat because the boss was literally unbeatable with my build and the thing to make it easier was bugged and couldn't be done.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 3, 2016

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

That party setup works fine for BT1, but is suboptimal for 2 and especially 3. Midway through BT2 you hit a weird difficulty spike where average mooks have thousands of HPs, to the point where your Warriors, Monks, and Paladins will be unable to do enough damage to kill anything in a single round. It's not bad to have one as a meatshield, but at this point Hunters become really good, because at high levels they virtually always insta-kill everything they attack, every time. They'll still be second fiddle to your archmages but it's nice to have SOMETHING on your front line that's not completely worthless.

For 3 you have to have a rogue, as in it's basically impossible to complete the game without one. There are a handful of boss fights where only a rogue can get close enough to the boss to even attack. Melee classes with the exception of the hunter are even more useless than they were in BT2. If you've got any Paladins, Warriors, or Monks in your party they're prime fodder for being turned into Geomancers--losing their multiple-hit ability is no big deal since it doesn't do any good anyway. Also for 3 you pretty much have to have 3 Archmages--one of them has to be turned into a Chronomancer and lose ALL their Archmage spells in the process. Chronomancer spells are cool but they're no substitute for the huge range of things an Archmage can cast.

Interesting. Do you still need/want a Bard in those games?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed the deep caverns but a lot of people still don't so I dunno. I was too stupid to solve the mutagen puzzle so I just brute forced the final boss with my psi puncher, it did the job.

Also the ending was goddamn terrible. I wasn't playing for the plot but Christ. Still a great game overall.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

rujasu posted:

Interesting. Do you still need/want a Bard in those games?

Yeah, a bard is still a pretty good bet. I think there was a puzzle in 2 that actually required one. In 3 they're still pretty useful--they have a song which halves enemy damage, which is really useful against the ridiculous enemies that can punch through -50 AC. Also they can regenerate spell points (huge in 3) and prevent most enemies from casting summons.

I think the ideal party in 3 is Warrior/Paladin (to later be converted to Geomancer), Hunter, Bard, Rogue, Archmage, Archmage, Archmage (to be converted to Chronomancer). 2 you have a little more flexibility; you can ditch the Rogue for something else. In 2 of course there's the option to go with a 6-member party instead of a 7-member party, since some of the summons are actually kind of cool. But 3 you definitely want to ditch summons for a full 7-character party.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Hey, Devil Whiskey. I own it twice, having bought it digitally then later when they offered a physical copy that I still have laying around somewhere unopened. As a huge Bard's Tale fan I enjoyed it quite a bit. I recall it feeling very polished. The only complaints I remember having were that it was on the easy side and the random encounters were limited. Each dungeon level if you killed enough they'd get further and further apart until you didn't get them anymore. I think I murdered every last bad guy in that universe.

I'm currently working on the gold box games from GoG again for the first time in many years. Beat Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds and I'm well into Secret of the Silver Blades. I missed the Gold Box games so much. I might hit up the Buck Rogers series next. Too bad GoG doesn't have those. I've played them before but I don't recall if I ever played the PC version of the first one or just the lesser Genesis version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

crowbb posted:

Hey, Devil Whiskey. I own it twice, having bought it digitally then later when they offered a physical copy that I still have laying around somewhere unopened. As a huge Bard's Tale fan I enjoyed it quite a bit. I recall it feeling very polished. The only complaints I remember having were that it was on the easy side and the random encounters were limited. Each dungeon level if you killed enough they'd get further and further apart until you didn't get them anymore. I think I murdered every last bad guy in that universe.

I'm currently working on the gold box games from GoG again for the first time in many years. Beat Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds and I'm well into Secret of the Silver Blades. I missed the Gold Box games so much. I might hit up the Buck Rogers series next. Too bad GoG doesn't have those. I've played them before but I don't recall if I ever played the PC version of the first one or just the lesser Genesis version.

I think you're the first person I've seen mention having played Devil Whiskey. I was always interested in it, but I never saw it for sale anywhere. I vaguely recall seeing it on one digital distribution site somewhere, but it cost way more than I was willing to pay for a random indie game I'd heard nothing about, like $30 or something.

Has it been (re)released anywhere since? I'm a sucker for Wizardry-likes so would probably pick it up if it was any good. I think I could probably handle the limited random encounters--I'm running across that now that I've finally gotten around to playing Lords of Xulima and it doesn't detract that much. Though it is kind of an annoying mechanic.