Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Underrail is so good you guys
No, it isn't.

The quest log is crap, most of the characters don't even give you the opportunity to repeat information you could do with hearing again if you talk to them for a second time, and you never know if your character build is viable at all for doing anything other than running away in combat until you actually get to it, which can be an hour and a half of lovely fetch quests.

There's "oldschool" and then there's making a game in a very small team for too many years so you forget that people aren't as totally up to speed as you with the map layouts, exact mechanics and their implications, and quest objectives/triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

I think you're the first person I've seen mention having played Devil Whiskey. I was always interested in it, but I never saw it for sale anywhere. I vaguely recall seeing it on one digital distribution site somewhere, but it cost way more than I was willing to pay for a random indie game I'd heard nothing about, like $30 or something.

Has it been (re)released anywhere since? I'm a sucker for Wizardry-likes so would probably pick it up if it was any good. I think I could probably handle the limited random encounters--I'm running across that now that I've finally gotten around to playing Lords of Xulima and it doesn't detract that much. Though it is kind of an annoying mechanic.

I'm in the same boat as Genpei on this. I am a sucker for any game that reminds me of Bard's Tale (what ever happened to that port for modern systems that they said was coming?), and I immediately took an interest in this. The only places I have seen it for sale are Gamersgate (notice the 's' in the middle) and directly from the creator, where it's about $25 US. Years ago, literally two or three years ago, I put the game on my "Let me know when this goes on sale" list and it has never once been reduced. Just like Genpei, I am not paying that much for an indy game that could well be shite. I think that the author either doesn't care, is a pretentious auteur who won't sell his Incredible Opus for too little, or is like Jeff Vogel in that he thinks that there's no point selling for a lower price when the audience is limited and he can't really advertise. Jeff learned the error of his ways, to everyone's benefit, but I am not sure if that is the case here. The economics of gaming has changed, for good or for ill.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

given that his website still proudly exudes web 1.0 i'm inclined to believe he's a snobby auteur set in his ways

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have to give Devil Whiskey credit, it looks better than I remember and definitely appears to be of sufficient quality to actually buy. But yeah, when the number of games I have spent more than like $10 for in the last decade can be counted on one hand...$25 is rough. Maybe if I finish the 200+ Steam games I have accumulated by paying roughly the cost of 10 Devils Whiskey, I will give it a shot.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Unfortunately my experience with Devil Whiskey mostly involved finding it unplayable due to constant unpredictable crashes and support for it seems to have evaporated long ago (the official forums have only a handful of posts from later than 2012, and many of them are complaining about bugs and lack of support), so I can't really recommend it unless you're willing to risk a decent sum of money on a game that might not work for you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Devil whiskey was in a bundle years ago if I'm not mistaken. Pretty sure I own it on gamersgate because of that.

I haven't played it though so I have nothing of value to contribute!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jBrereton posted:

No, it isn't.
oh. sorry

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

No, it isn't.

The quest log is crap, most of the characters don't even give you the opportunity to repeat information you could do with hearing again if you talk to them for a second time, and you never know if your character build is viable at all for doing anything other than running away in combat until you actually get to it, which can be an hour and a half of lovely fetch quests.

There's "oldschool" and then there's making a game in a very small team for too many years so you forget that people aren't as totally up to speed as you with the map layouts, exact mechanics and their implications, and quest objectives/triggers.

ok now compare it to blade of destiny

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

Genpei Turtle posted:

I think you're the first person I've seen mention having played Devil Whiskey. I was always interested in it, but I never saw it for sale anywhere. I vaguely recall seeing it on one digital distribution site somewhere, but it cost way more than I was willing to pay for a random indie game I'd heard nothing about, like $30 or something.

Has it been (re)released anywhere since? I'm a sucker for Wizardry-likes so would probably pick it up if it was any good. I think I could probably handle the limited random encounters--I'm running across that now that I've finally gotten around to playing Lords of Xulima and it doesn't detract that much. Though it is kind of an annoying mechanic.

I didn't really keep up on it since I had it already so I don't know if it is still available or if it even runs on modern OS. It has been years since I played it. At the time I was super starved for a Bard's Tale like game and I came across it. I did enjoy it but I feel I blew through it fairly quickly. To me it was worth the money as I enjoyed it, but I didn't see a lot of replayability, while to this day I still go back and play BT1 occasionally. It did feel polished, something a lot of the other indie Bard's Tale-likes lacked. It scratched the nostalgia itch for me nicely while it lasted. I bought the physical copy when they did a limited run of them, thinking maybe they had added to the game as it was much later, but I never did get around to even opening the thing. I don't even know where it is now. Probably in my basement somewhere.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

No, it isn't.

I'm going out on a limb here guys

I enjoyed underrail

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
So just as a heads-up in case you missed it -- the Serpent in the Staglands devs are currently in the middle of a Kickstarter for their new cyberpunk RPG, Copper Dreams:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
There's no point to this post, I'm just venting my disappointment. I found a portable, self-executing port for Windows of all three Dungeon Master games from the Amiga, and I can't get it to run. I've spent hours trying to research the issue and it appears to be due to one of the security updates for Windows, but there are so many possibilities I can't figure out which one(s) is/are the culprit. I even tried it in the XP virtual machine, but it wouldn't even start. I put the .exe on my old single-core laptop that runs XP and it works fine, but I'm still disappointed. I was so excited to find this and then to be stymied by a technical issue is heartbreaking.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

CrookedB posted:

So just as a heads-up in case you missed it -- the Serpent in the Staglands devs are currently in the middle of a Kickstarter for their new cyberpunk RPG, Copper Dreams:

Matt Chat episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lt_pQ9gWnQ

Looking more positive after today

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

CrookedB posted:

What's the consensus on Serpent in the Staglands? I like the look of it and I'm currently eyeing it up on the GOG summer sale. Is it worth my £5.59?

For reference I love Infinity Engine games, the Gold Box games, and Wizardry-esque merciless dungeon crawlers -- I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to CRPGs. Basically if the game systems are solid and there's a good amount of depth/choice then I'm pretty willing to dive in.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

thorsilver posted:

What's the consensus on Serpent in the Staglands? I like the look of it and I'm currently eyeing it up on the GOG summer sale. Is it worth my £5.59?

For reference I love Infinity Engine games, the Gold Box games, and Wizardry-esque merciless dungeon crawlers -- I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to CRPGs. Basically if the game systems are solid and there's a good amount of depth/choice then I'm pretty willing to dive in.

I was eyeballing this one as well. I've heard a few times that it's the new Darklands, but I haven't played Darklands either.

This sale is the first in a while where there have been quite a few things that I want, but I'm hard up for cash right now and I want to save a bit for the incoming Steam sales.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

It's hard as gently caress and it has a lot of little "old-school" touches that are annoying, like a complete lack of a quest log and quests are just kind of mentioned offhand and I guess youre just supposed to make a note of it, and it has almost no combat feedback.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I hated it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I don't know why, but I'm gonna try to do Wizardry 6 through 8.

I started a W8 game a while back and made good progress, but I wanna attempt this crazy thing just so I can say I did. I also can't find the What You Should Know Before Playing thread for some reason, so I thought this was the 2nd best place to ask.

What should I know before going into 6? I pooted around in it for about 20mins and found it ultra sluggish, especially opening and closing doors oh my god just do it already. It runs via dosbox on Steam; is there a way to speed up that animation without increasing the clock speed or something?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

I started a W8 game a while back and made good progress, but I wanna attempt this crazy thing just so I can say I did. I also can't find the What You Should Know Before Playing thread for some reason, so I thought this was the 2nd best place to ask.

What should I know before going into 6? I pooted around in it for about 20mins and found it ultra sluggish, especially opening and closing doors oh my god just do it already. It runs via dosbox on Steam; is there a way to speed up that animation without increasing the clock speed or something?
I did a full W6-8 single party playthrough a few years ago and it was incredibly fun. I can't remember the specifics unfortunately :(

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

spider wisdom posted:

Wizardry 6 is a bit of a slow game in general so, sorry. The only advice I can give is that you get extreme diminishing returns once you hit level 9 or so in your class, so you should switch to a new class around then. Unfortunately, Wizardry 6's stat gains upon level up are random and they dictate which class you can change to so you will most likely need to do a bit of save scumming to get the results you want. Also, make a map in graph paper or using Grid Cartographer, you'll easily get lost and confused because the wall and floor textures never, ever change even though the description of the area says you're in a jungle or something. These are just the kind of things an old game like Wizardry 6 do.

You can import your party into 7 which is a lot more playable if a fair bit more complex and then import that party into 8 which you've already played and enjoyed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm working my way through a wiz 6 play through right now and I can't recommend grid cartographer enough. You can use the auto map hook and make the game significantly faster and more manageable.

It works like etrian odyssey so you still need to draw the walls and such.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Also, make a map in graph paper or using Grid Cartographer, you'll easily get lost and confused because the wall and floor textures never, ever change even though the description of the area says you're in a jungle or something. These are just the kind of things an old game like Wizardry 6 do.

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm working my way through a wiz 6 play through right now and I can't recommend grid cartographer enough. You can use the auto map hook and make the game significantly faster and more manageable.

It works like etrian odyssey so you still need to draw the walls and such.

I am not disparaging Grid Cartographer, but there are auto-mapping tools for Wiz 6 & 7 available on Mod DB. Luisfe has been doing an infrequently-updated playthrough of Wizardry 6 for years now, and he changed from GC to those automated tools partway through, with no regrets.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I am not disparaging Grid Cartographer, but there are auto-mapping tools for Wiz 6 & 7 available on Mod DB. Luisfe has been doing an infrequently-updated playthrough of Wizardry 6 for years now, and he changed from GC to those automated tools partway through, with no regrets.

Is it this one or are there others? The mapping thing is seriously one of the things that has been holding me back from playing wiz6 since it's pretty tedious to map it manually

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

JustJeff88 posted:

I was eyeballing this one as well. I've heard a few times that it's the new Darklands, but I haven't played Darklands either.
The art style is similar, but it has pretty much nothing to do with it mechanics or tone-wise. Combat is simpler, armour works equally well against anything, magic is pure magic instead of lobbing potions at the enemies, the theme it's pretty much high fantasy instead of Darklads' low fantasy...

I haven't advanced enough because there was a bug that "unexplored" the maps, painting Fog of War over them all over again. I think it's fixed in the last version, so I should pick it up again and pass more than three screens.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

netcat posted:

Is it this one or are there others? The mapping thing is seriously one of the things that has been holding me back from playing wiz6 since it's pretty tedious to map it manually

I am all but certain that that is what he is using - it looks very familiar and he's been very happy with it. The LP I mentioned is here if you want to have a look, but keep in mind that he started out with Grid Cartographer and only switched to auto-mapping about halfway through the thread.

I am with you, by the way. Drawing your own maps, even in a great tool like Grid Cartographer, is ridiculous in my view. I want to explore dungeons and slay monsters, not pretend that I'm Jacques Cartier.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want to relive my youth and get really mad at the Gold Box games again. Is there a good guide to Pool of Radiance out there? I am more or less familiar with the AD&D ruleset, but would love a walkthrough or something to help me along.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

bongwizzard posted:

I want to relive my youth and get really mad at the Gold Box games again. Is there a good guide to Pool of Radiance out there? I am more or less familiar with the AD&D ruleset, but would love a walkthrough or something to help me along.

You might want to try The Realm version of Pool of Radiance which is a remake of it in the AD&D Unlimited Adventures engine. So stuff like Paladins, Rangers, VGA graphics, and the FIX mode are in it. Sadly the guy who made all the Realm stuff is a grog so he removed automapping because reasons. http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/ this might help you to some degree maybe.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Spider Wisdom, I wish you luck on your quest, but a Wizardry 6 speedrun literally killed* Boldor so you must remain steadfast and true always, lest retro CRPGs consume you.

*I assume

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/ this might help you to some degree maybe.

:stare:

That's... amazing...

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I just bought Underrail from the Steam sale because I heard a lot of things about it that I think I'll like. I reckon this is the best thread to talk ask about it?

Mostly I'm looking for general advice and gotchas to avoid. I want to build a hacker/gun (later in the game assault rifles if the game has any)/sneaky character, does that sound viable? I tend to focus in a few skills in RPGs, how many should I pick as my "main" ones without spreading too thin? Should I use the "standard" XP progression (kill stuff, do quests) or the alternative (explore things, do quests) ?

Any advice welcome!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Use the oddity xp system, I think pistols suck, heavy armor and assault rifles is easy mode, you have room to dabble in a few skills, don't bother with intimidation /persuasion, hacking and lock picking are both worth maxing out on any character

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Use the oddity xp system, I think pistols suck, heavy armor and assault rifles is easy mode, you have room to dabble in a few skills, don't bother with intimidation /persuasion, hacking and lock picking are both worth maxing out on any character

Can I pick up rifles right at the beginning of the game or is there an intermediary weapon class?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to pick a single crafting skill to max, electronics is by far the best one. Craft crazy shields and electric weapons, stealth generators that give you more stealth and dodge than skill points can among other things.

Furism posted:

Can I pick up rifles right at the beginning of the game or is there an intermediary weapon class?

Unlike fallout, there's no gating in weapons. Though it's possible bullets might become scarce sometimes.

and by the way:

styg posted:

We're working on new content for Underrail, guys, don't worry. It'll probably take a while, but it will be worth the wait.

We will have official announcement soon(tm).

nerdz fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 5, 2016

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

nerdz posted:

If you're going to pick a single crafting skill to max, electronics is by far the best one. Craft crazy shields and electric weapons, stealth generators that give you more stealth and dodge than skill points can among other things.

Unlike fallout, there's no gating in weapons. Though it's possible bullets might become scarce sometimes.

and by the way:

DLC?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone know of any bugfix patches for Shattered Lands and/or Wake of the Ravager? They, especially the latter, were buggy as hell when they first came out and I wondered if anyone ever tightened them up since they were fairly popular. I have the GOG versions which presumably include any official patches and, while GOG is not averse to incorporating good unofficial patches into their releases, I wondered if there were any third-party works out there that fixed the problems in these otherwise good RPGs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

After 2 years, Wizardry Chronicle has been finished being translated.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2321/

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GreenNight posted:

After 2 years, Wizardry Chronicle has been finished being translated.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2321/

I thought I knew most of the Wizardry games, but I've never even heard of this one.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Prism posted:

I thought I knew most of the Wizardry games, but I've never even heard of this one.

Not just me then. Still, I'm happy whenever just about any Japanese game gets put into western languages. I'm always sad whenever I read that "********** was never released outside of Japan", even if it's a game that I don't know and/or in a genre that I don't normally frequent.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Well there's a million billion wizardry games in Japan so there's probably tons no one in the west has heard about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

netcat posted:

Well there's a million billion wizardry games in Japan so there's probably tons no one in the west has heard about

Except I know of most of them even if I haven't played them much since my Japanese isn't very good. I've seen the Gaiden, I've seen the Empire (and I wish I could play some of these), but this one was new.

I'll probably try to hunt down a copy later so I can patch it and try it.