Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BadAstronaut posted:

Sorry - I think I didn't express myself properly. I legally own all the games (bought them when I discovered ebay 15 years ago) so getting the games and running them in DOSBox is not an issue.

It was more a question about apps or programs or any other means of smoothing over the 25-ish year old games taking advantage of whatever might be out there right now. :)

EDIT: and I agree wholeheartedly with this, JustJeff
"games that nobody sells digitally or produce physical copies of are abandonware and fair game, but many will fight like demons to preserve the so-called right to keep people from playing games whose owners clearly no longer give a toss."

On second read I clearly didn't read your post very well initially. That said, I'm glad that you see my point of view on "abandonware"

seorin posted:

If you want to be careful you can PM a mod to ask again, but when I first made this thread I made sure to get the okay for posting links to abandonware. As long as it's actually abandonware it should be fine.

Also, first impressions on Xulima: people in this thread will probably like it. It's got some rough edges, but so does pretty much every other game we talk about here. Whereas Grimrock is more of a modern, polished version of an older style game, Xulima seems more like a 20 year old game updated with modern sound and graphics.

There's one mod on here that would probably ban me for using an Oxford comma, so I'm not keen to try my luck.

As for Xulima, I'm sure that I'd like it, but I'm holding out for the GOG version that is apparently in the works. Kind of fed up with Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm waiting for the first big patch for Xulima. Seems like every recent crpg is way better after six months.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

GreenNight posted:

I'm waiting for the first big patch for Xulima. Seems like every recent crpg is way better after six months.

You might be waiting indefinitely since it was polished to a shine by release. They've never done big patches during EA unless it was unlocked content. Just frequent tiny patches (mostly translation fixes). All actual content has been released; it's finished and they don't currently plan on any extra DLC.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

The Joe Man posted:

You might be waiting indefinitely since it was polished to a shine by release. They've never done big patches during EA unless it was unlocked content. Just frequent tiny patches (mostly translation fixes). All actual content has been released; it's finished and they don't currently plan on any extra DLC.

I haven't played so I can't say, but Joe himself speculated that they went out on Steam first to make it easier to patch, and my e-mail to them held up that supposition. If it's polished to a mirror shine, day one, you'd think that they would get it out on every platform possible as quickly as can be to maximize exposure and sales.

To clarify, they did submit it to GOG but they started on Steam for reasons sited above.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've been playing Xulima for a few days now, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. That being said, there are some things that could use a good tweaking. For example, the classes are not balanced very well - stay clear of paladins, bards and divine summoners. They're not bad classes, but they're just so completely underpowered in comparison to the other classes, and many of their features can be covered with consumable items.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

seorin posted:

Also, first impressions on Xulima: people in this thread will probably like it. It's got some rough edges, but so does pretty much every other game we talk about here. Whereas Grimrock is more of a modern, polished version of an older style game, Xulima seems more like a 20 year old game updated with modern sound and graphics.

By modern you mean "circa 1999 modern", right?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

By modern you mean "circa 1999 modern", right?

That's a funny definition of "circa 1999 modern," given that "high resolution" was 1024 x 768 back then. Honestly I'd say Xulima's got about as modern graphics and sound as you're ever going to get for a 2D game. We're kind of at the point that when it comes to 2D games, it's not a question of graphical quality any more, but instead on art direction--which in a lot of cases is pretty subjective.

ed: Actually is any part of Xulima 3D? I've mostly only seen stills of it so far. I guess given the trend of using 3D models for 2D games it might not be so great in parts if that's what it's doing...

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 21, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

inscrutable horse posted:

I've been playing Xulima for a few days now, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. That being said, there are some things that could use a good tweaking. For example, the classes are not balanced very well - stay clear of paladins, bards and divine summoners. They're not bad classes, but they're just so completely underpowered in comparison to the other classes, and many of their features can be covered with consumable items.

Perhaps patches would buff them up.

What would you recommend for, not the strongest party, but the most rounded one that lets you see the most of the games features/spells/etc? Preferably without repeating a class. I don't play RPGs more than once through, generally, so I try to see all that I can on one playthrough.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

inscrutable horse posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not far enough yet, but I'd actually say the classes are too balanced. Old RPGs usually aren't all that well balanced. :v:

I do find it strange that you'd single out Paladin and Bard, though. Paladins have the best defensive buff in the game by a fair margin, and Bard buffs are kind of incredible (+42% combat speed? yes please). Divine Summoner I can see going either way. +2 party members is awesome, but the delay in getting them out each combat is rough. I kind of want to see what a really high speed/initiative Divine Summoner can do. Those summons can get pretty beastly at high levels (offhand, I'd recommend Valvet, Kersket, Raznet, or maybe Taliet; Nalaet is not a bad choice either, but suffers from low stats and no mass heal). I also like when my summons soak hits instead of my party members because it means less resting.

In my opinion, soldiers and arcane soldiers are probably the most underpowered, followed by barbarians and clerics. Soldiers don't really have enough PP to get a lot of use out of their special attacks. An arcane soldier would be a better choice if you want to use specials, but their unique flame/frost strikes don't scale well enough to justify the extreme skill point cost, and their magic is always going to be behind a mage for obvious reasons. Clerics aren't bad at all, but I find the high level cleric spells to not be anywhere near as incredible as high level mage spells, so I'd rather use a Paladin.

In true classic RPG fashion, mage is probably indispensable. Thief is pretty safe to skip, but makes for a surprisingly good front-liner and frees up skill points for Gaulen to spend on more fighty things. I'm probably going to restart with Explorer, Paladin, Barbarian in front and Mage, Bard, Divine Summoner in back. I admit my main interest in Barbarian is that I imagine him having that voice set from Icewind Dale that was all grunts and snarls, and this amuses me more than it should. I may get massacred horribly.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
There is a very detailed and well-researched party creation guide for Xulima on Steam that I have found useful when planning out my party for a 2nd playthrough (I first played the game while it was still in early access): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343637903

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 21, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
That is a good, informative guide. Glad to see I wasn't too far off the mark with my evaluations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
How long is Xulima approximately?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Has anyone played the old Bladerunner game? It's more adventure game then RPG but I figure it kind of fits that thread. Never had myself and picked up a boxed copy off Amazon for $8 or so on a whim.

Cross-posting from the RPG thread:
"On a different note, I grabbed a few RPGs at GOG since they are running a decent sale. So Might and Magic VII, VIII and Wizardry 7&8 are all ready to go (can't see myself slogging through 6). Man, so many fond memories of playing most of these. For some strange reason though I never went through 8 but Might and Magic VII and Wizardry 7 were my favorite dungeon crawlers for a long time. I think I might even have a guide book for 7."

I am kind of intimidated of going through Wizardry 7 though. That game was tough as nails. Might start with VIII and see what happens.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 22, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A modern but old school game I was suprised to see get no mentions is Heroes of a Broken Land. It's a multiparty game that mixes hex based exploration, first person dungeon crawling, town building and turn based combat. Graphics are pretty basic, especially the monsters, but it's good fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314470/

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I bought that before it was on Steam and it is indeed awesome. I only played for about an hour but I was like, "I have to put this down now or I never will." One day I will go back... maybe when I retire.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

moot the hopple posted:

How long is Xulima approximately?

Pretty long; I haven't beaten the full (non-Early Access) version myself yet, but from what I've heard (and from what I've played) it's definitely upwards of 50 hours. The rest depends on your playstyle.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I know this is shallow of me but the inconsistent visuals in Heroes of a Broken Land really bother me. It goes from this really nice pixel art style in the overworld to using semi-photo based textures with higher res graphics in the crawling sections. If it maintained that pixel style using the sort of textures you'd see in Heretic/Hexen it'd be so much more cohesive.

Lots of nice ideas with that overworld though to elevate it above just a simple dungeon crawl. Plus it gets updated frequently. There's a lot to like about it and I'm probably just being too intolerant on the visual side.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Lots of nice ideas with that overworld though to elevate it above just a simple dungeon crawl. Plus it gets updated frequently. There's a lot to like about it and I'm probably just being too intolerant on the visual side.

The inconsistant visuals did make me hesitant to pick it up, but I'm glad I did.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

oblomov posted:

Has anyone played the old Bladerunner game? It's more adventure game then RPG but I figure it kind of fits that thread. Never had myself and picked up a boxed copy off Amazon for $8 or so on a whim.

This one? I was really impressed by the graphics and the overall presentation back then. I still have my copy of it, but I have no idea how well it plays on Windows 7/8 and such. I recall being told that the suspect you are hunting for is randomized at the beginning of every game, and that the game may not entirely take the same course. I don't even remember some of the screens in the link I provided.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

oblomov posted:

Cross-posting from the RPG thread:
"On a different note, I grabbed a few RPGs at GOG since they are running a decent sale. So Might and Magic VII, VIII and Wizardry 7&8 are all ready to go (can't see myself slogging through 6). Man, so many fond memories of playing most of these. For some strange reason though I never went through 8 but Might and Magic VII and Wizardry 7 were my favorite dungeon crawlers for a long time. I think I might even have a guide book for 7."

I am kind of intimidated of going through Wizardry 7 though. That game was tough as nails. Might start with VIII and see what happens.

Played Bladerunner when it was still newish. Found it a little frustrating, from memory.

Also, Wizardry 8 owns bones IMO and I recommend the playing of it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Chairchucker posted:

Played Bladerunner when it was still newish. Found it a little frustrating, from memory.

Also, Wizardry 8 owns bones IMO and I recommend the playing of it.

Any recommended mods for 8? Saw a few are out when looking around. Going to start that this weekend.

Daler Mehndi posted:

This one? I was really impressed by the graphics and the overall presentation back then. I still have my copy of it, but I have no idea how well it plays on Windows 7/8 and such. I recall being told that the suspect you are hunting for is randomized at the beginning of every game, and that the game may not entirely take the same course. I don't even remember some of the screens in the link I provided.

That's it. Actually the above sounds kind of cool.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

oblomov posted:

Any recommended mods for 8? Saw a few are out when looking around. Going to start that this weekend.

Honestly didn't know there were any mods, never used any.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Angrymog posted:

A modern but old school game I was suprised to see get no mentions is Heroes of a Broken Land. It's a multiparty game that mixes hex based exploration, first person dungeon crawling, town building and turn based combat. Graphics are pretty basic, especially the monsters, but it's good fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314470/

I picked this up on GamersGate when it was in very late beta and eventually got a Steam key. I really enjoyed this game and need to go back to it at some point. They seemed to tie together a lot of genres very capably, which isn't easy to do.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I know this is shallow of me but the inconsistent visuals in Heroes of a Broken Land really bother me. It goes from this really nice pixel art style in the overworld to using semi-photo based textures with higher res graphics in the crawling sections. If it maintained that pixel style using the sort of textures you'd see in Heretic/Hexen it'd be so much more cohesive.

I noticed the graphic odities myself, which is remarkable as I am generally pretty oblivious to graphics, but it doesn't stop it being a lot of fun with huge replayability.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oblomov posted:

From what I remember, you want one that speeds up enemy actions in combat.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just discovered this site when looking for single-character first person dungeon crawlers:

http://www.goodolddays.net/ - looks to be a pretty comprehensive list of old games, and the reviews are pretty indepth.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Angrymog posted:

Just discovered this site when looking for single-character first person dungeon crawlers:

http://www.goodolddays.net/ - looks to be a pretty comprehensive list of old games, and the reviews are pretty indepth.

Browsing through the RPGs reminded me of Albion. It seems like a game that should be up on GOG.com. They already have other Blue Bytes games.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

seorin posted:

I do find it strange that you'd single out Paladin and Bard, though. Paladins have the best defensive buff in the game by a fair margin, and Bard buffs are kind of incredible (+42% combat speed? yes please).

That's the thing with bards, their buffs are great, but they're also available in stores for a very reasonable price. And maybe it's because I play on the intermediate difficulty, but I never found the paladin's buff to be particularly useful. Either the party is able to handle the enemies without much trouble, or the enemies are just so far out of the party's league, that they'll get creamed in a matter of seconds regardless of buffs.

seorin posted:

In my opinion, soldiers and arcane soldiers are probably the most underpowered, followed by barbarians and clerics. Soldiers don't really have enough PP to get a lot of use out of their special attacks. An arcane soldier would be a better choice if you want to use specials, but their unique flame/frost strikes don't scale well enough to justify the extreme skill point cost, and their magic is always going to be behind a mage for obvious reasons. Clerics aren't bad at all, but I find the high level cleric spells to not be anywhere near as incredible as high level mage spells, so I'd rather use a Paladin.

I actually really quite heavily on both the soldier and the arcane soldier for slaughtering everything :) Yeah, the soldier seriously lacks the PP for extended fights, but the ability to stack bleed effects combined with the arcane's ability to freeze enemies is a lethal combo. And later on the arcane gets the same special attacks the soldier gets, so the bleed just stacks even faster. But yeah, the cost is rather more hefty than is justifiable, and I hope they intend to patch that. Also, clerics are nice, and are good at granting far more staying power to the party during tough fights, where the enemies start stacking on bleed or wounds. That, and they make surprisingly effective back-row fighters.

seorin posted:

In true classic RPG fashion, mage is probably indispensable. Thief is pretty safe to skip, but makes for a surprisingly good front-liner and frees up skill points for Gaulen to spend on more fighty things.

The barbarian was utter garbage :( Lackluster skills (come on rage, a pitiful percentage upgrade to criticals for THAT cost?!), little staying power, colossal disappointment. And thieves are great - like you said, surprisingly good front-liner, takes care of trapping and lockpicking, and they can use shurikens, which can be vital in some fights.

The party I use now (I'm at the part of the game where I've taken care of two temples) has an ArcSoldier, Soldier and Thief in the front row, and a Mage, Cleric and Gaulen in the back, and most fights are, if not exactly trivial, hardly much of a threat. But I also get ALL the blessings from the priestess, and re-apply them as soon as they run out. Seriously, those things are really cheap, and are the equivalent of having several more levels under your belt. Also, freezing touch is without a doubt one of the best spells available.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Angrymog posted:

That's a cool site, but their reviews are a little..uh, inconsistent? Like why would you give World of Xeen a lower rating than Clouds of Xeen? drat you, how dare you give me more content! :argh:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

oblomov posted:

The movement speed mod is all but necessary, unless you like waiting five minutes for enemies to take their turn. I like Flamestryke's Mod too, which adds a bunch of new monsters and items with a focus on underrepresented types such as throwing weapons. That said, the new monsters may be a bit overwhelming for a new player, and the new weapons err on the overpowered side, so you may want to make your first run vanilla plus speed mod.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Heroes of a Broken Land sounds like my dream RPG. I loved the town building parts of Neverwinter Nights 2, the only JRPG I've ever really liked is the Suikoden series, and the combination of RPG+town management really gets to me.

Can anyone who's played it give a detailed description? How indepth is the townbuilding? Can you actually see the town develop through interacting with characters or it just numbers? Is there anything in terms of plot or character interaction or is it just like a roguelike?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Genpei Turtle posted:

That's a cool site, but their reviews are a little..uh, inconsistent? Like why would you give World of Xeen a lower rating than Clouds of Xeen? drat you, how dare you give me more content! :argh:

The reviews are garbage.

Read the one for Battle of Westnoth.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

The reviews are garbage.

Read the one for Battle of Westnoth.

Aside from the review being a decade old, what's wrong with it? It looks like just a bog-standard description of the game. I haven't played Battle of Wesnoth so I can't say anything about it one way or another.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Genpei Turtle posted:

Aside from the review being a decade old, what's wrong with it? It looks like just a bog-standard description of the game. I haven't played Battle of Wesnoth so I can't say anything about it one way or another.

Actually that's totally on me. I couldn't figure out how to get the detailed review to show on my tablet, and outside of that one, the first paragraph for most of the games just reads like a little mini-review (AutoDuel isn't that great, Battletech crescent hawk is a blend of strategy, rpg and adventure, etc), so I figured that's what the reviews were. I only saw the full review because I went back on PC after you questioned me. His review is fine. His site design is less fine.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

Heroes of a Broken Land sounds like my dream RPG. I loved the town building parts of Neverwinter Nights 2, the only JRPG I've ever really liked is the Suikoden series, and the combination of RPG+town management really gets to me.

Can anyone who's played it give a detailed description? How indepth is the townbuilding? Can you actually see the town develop through interacting with characters or it just numbers? Is there anything in terms of plot or character interaction or is it just like a roguelike?
It's not as deep as you're hoping. The town building is just placing and upgrading shops, pretty much, and characters don't interact with the world as individuals. There is a main quest, but it's not really a plot so much as a series of goals to work towards.

It was enjoyable as a simple dungeon crawler, and you can rename your characters and give them custom portraits if that's your kind of thing, but it's probably not going to feel anything like NWN2 or Suikoden.

edit: There's an in-browser demo version you can play on the developer's website, so it's worth trying out regardless

gdsfjkl fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 24, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The movement speed mod is all but necessary, unless you like waiting five minutes for enemies to take their turn. I like Flamestryke's Mod too, which adds a bunch of new monsters and items with a focus on underrepresented types such as throwing weapons. That said, the new monsters may be a bit overwhelming for a new player, and the new weapons err on the overpowered side, so you may want to make your first run vanilla plus speed mod.

I wouldn't mind the new weapons but don't need a Wizardry game to be MORE difficult. I will go with vanilla plus speed mod it looks like... after I finish DAI as I have no self control and boght that thing.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

oblomov posted:

I wouldn't mind the new weapons but don't need a Wizardry game to be MORE difficult. I will go with vanilla plus speed mod it looks like... after I finish DAI as I have no self control and boght that thing.

FWIW Wizardry 8 is the easiest Wizardry by a long shot. Outside of one early wall (Arnika road) it's actually a pretty easy game. By the end of the game you'll probably want to turn the difficulty level to the top even.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Genpei Turtle posted:

FWIW Wizardry 8 is the easiest Wizardry by a long shot. Outside of one early wall (Arnika road) it's actually a pretty easy game. By the end of the game you'll probably want to turn the difficulty level to the top even.

Oh, well my last Wizardry game was Dark Savant years ago and that was tough. Also used to Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS and played MM X this year but none of those seemed as tough as Wizardry (even on hard).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

oblomov posted:

Oh, well my last Wizardry game was Dark Savant years ago and that was tough. Also used to Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS and played MM X this year but none of those seemed as tough as Wizardry (even on hard).

Yeah Wizardry 8 is way easier than Dark Savant. If you're familiar with Dark Savant you're probably going to find Wizardry 8 to be a cakewalk. Especially if you import your party.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I couldn't find the old BG2 thread, so I hope it's okay I post a question here.

My friend and I are playing through together, and while we made our own characters, we kind of just want the game NPCs now because of the quests and story bits. Unfortunately, we didn't take the Harper lady with us from the starting dungeon, since we already had a full party. We did free her, however.

Yoshimo said we could meet him at the tavern and we have, but we don't know where to find Jahelia. We looked online and it said she was outside a building in the docks, but we didn't find her there. So, did we lose her for good?

Also, what happens when you replace a custom character? I thought they would be standing around the tavern, but that didn't appear to be the case. I can't imagine they are just gone permanently.

V Thanks, I'll post it there!

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

A Strange Aeon posted:

I couldn't find the old BG2 thread, so I hope it's okay I post a question here.

My friend and I are playing through together, and while we made our own characters, we kind of just want the game NPCs now because of the quests and story bits. Unfortunately, we didn't take the Harper lady with us from the starting dungeon, since we already had a full party. We did free her, however.

Yoshimo said we could meet him at the tavern and we have, but we don't know where to find Jahelia. We looked online and it said she was outside a building in the docks, but we didn't find her there. So, did we lose her for good?

Also, what happens when you replace a custom character? I thought they would be standing around the tavern, but that didn't appear to be the case. I can't imagine they are just gone permanently.

They consolidated all of the Infinity Engine games (and ToEE) and they are being very actively discussed here.