Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I've made it to level 18 in the original Fallout once by grinding the random Super Mutant encounter in the desert around the Military Base. It doesn't take that long with a strong combat build, but it's still not even remotely worth it. Once you get Power Armour and a decent amount of Stimpaks, you're basically invincible not matter what. Just pick whatever gun corresponds to your skill choice and steamroll the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Zereth posted:

Have you tried the trunk of your car?

That's only in the second one, I'm afraid. That being said: Max Wilco, if you intend to continue into Fallout 2, getting the car should be one of your highest priorities. It's such a quality of life enhancer, I can't imagine the game without it.

dis astranagant posted:

He's probably planning on picking up sniper, which negates quite a bit of the want for called shots.

Sniper is, IIRC, only a guaranteed critical. Which is super loving nice, no question about it, but not all crits are equal. Depending on the targeted location, you can get anything from a (figurative) really stubbed toe, to an instant death. With called shots you can go for the eyes, which are pretty much a guaranteed kill. That, and sniper is so far up the perk ladder, you're not going to get much use out of it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

inscrutable horse posted:

That's only in the second one, I'm afraid.
... Huh, I would have sworn it wasn't. Although I can't remember where I thought you got it now.

I guess I haven't played fallout 1 in ages.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Sniper is, IIRC, only a guaranteed critical. Which is super loving nice, no question about it, but not all crits are equal. Depending on the targeted location, you can get anything from a (figurative) really stubbed toe, to an instant death. With called shots you can go for the eyes, which are pretty much a guaranteed kill. That, and sniper is so far up the perk ladder, you're not going to get much use out of it.

Unless I'm misremembering a 20 year old game whose mechanics I don't think I saw formally outlined, despite what the name would imply the Sniper perk was better suited for a build using either the minigun or gattling laser to get many of those individual shots in the bursts to hit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think bursts crit or didn't crit as a whole, but could ignore all armor when they crit. So a crit burst out of a strong wepaon would turn its target into hamburger.

(This included you.)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hahah wow this chat exploded with Fallout chat.

I personally loved playing with high Charisma and finishing the end of the game without violence. :smug:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's only in the second one, I'm afraid. That being said: Max Wilco, if you intend to continue into Fallout 2, getting the car should be one of your highest priorities. It's such a quality of life enhancer, I can't imagine the game without it.

They're equal enough with better crits putting an instakill on the torso of most things. Called shots crit all the time anyway, since the accuracy penalty is a crit chance bonus.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rappaport posted:

For all your Fallout 1 + 2 needs, I heartily recommend Per's Fallout guides, they more or less cover everything that there is to do in both games. Naturally this means :siren: SPOILERS AHOY :siren:, I wouldn't use these for your first run unless you really don't care about figuring stuff out yourself.

I have been using Per's guide, and it's been a big help.

So I gave the sniper rifle to Tycho, and got the .223 pistol and combat shotgun. I've still got the plasma rifle and alien blaster, but I'll drop those off in a container at the Brotherhood bunker until I can get some more points in Energy Weapons. I've got a couple of items stored in a bookcase at the Hub, too. I also gave some items to Tycho to carry, as I found out you can take items back from your companion's inventory if you steal from them.

I have Fallout 2 (along with Tactics), so I'll remember to get the car as soon as possible once I get to it.

I can't do called shots/VATS, however, since Fast Shot prevents me from doing that. I could take the Mutate perk and remove the trait, but I'm not sure if that a good idea.

I have enough cash to get some of the surgeries from the Brotherhood that would raise my stats. By the sounds of it, though, I could finish the game before I hit Level 18.

BadAstronaut posted:

I personally loved playing with high Charisma and finishing the end of the game without violence. :smug:
Is that actually possible? I originally started with the Good Natured trait, but it seems like you'd have to either skip a lot of quests or flee from all combat in order to finish the game.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 25, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I like doing the opposite in both fallouts. I finish what the apocalypse started and kill every living thing on every map.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I think you, sir, are really the bad astronaut around here.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Max Wilco posted:

Is that actually possible? I originally started with the Good Natured trait, but it seems like you'd have to either skip a lot of quests or flee from all combat in order to finish the game.

You can convince The Master to kill himself and it owns.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Almost every quest in the game is doable without killing anyone. The only exceptions I can think of are quests which specifically require you to assassinate someone, and even those can sometimes be completed in alternative ways. You'll have to run away from random encounters, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

You can convince The Master to kill himself and it owns.

Yeah, but I mean everything before that. Obviously, I haven't finished the game, but it seems like you still have to have some combat skills to get through places like Necropolis or the Military Base. I suppose stealth is an option, but I'm not really sure how sneaking works (do you still have to avoid line of sight, or can you just walk through areas in Sneak mode?)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The NPCs in the Military Base are friendly if you're wearing robes. For Necropolis, you can talk your way past the Super Mutants and sneak past the Ghouls in the vault.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, but I mean everything before that. Obviously, I haven't finished the game, but it seems like you still have to have some combat skills to get through places like Necropolis or the Military Base. I suppose stealth is an option, but I'm not really sure how sneaking works (do you still have to avoid line of sight, or can you just walk through areas in Sneak mode?)

Oh, I don't know then. I always felt combat was a major (and fun) part of FO 1 & 2 but I usually finish both games using only the .223, power armor and no companions (but resolving anything peacefully when the chance comes). High Intelligence was the major thing dictating non-confrontational dialogue solutions if I remember right.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you can definitely complete Fallout 1 without combat because I've seen too many brain-melting arguments about whether you technically can or not based on the important point that, while you can definitely win without killing anyone, sometimes you end up in the combat mode and have to run away

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

The NPCs in the Military Base are friendly if you're wearing robes. For Necropolis, you can talk your way past the Super Mutants and sneak past the Ghouls in the vault.

Regarding the robes and the Cathedral/Military Base, is there a preferred way of doing it? It looks like you can get robes from the Followers, but speaking to Nicole and getting the pass phrase to give to Laura also causes Follower fighters to attack the Cathedral, which counteracts the attempt to enter discreetly and avoid combat. Same with the Military Base; can you use the robes to just walk on through and complete everything without having to fight anybody?

EDIT: I looked, and there's also a set of robes in the Hub you can get, too.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

BadAstronaut posted:

Stuff like this is why I'm happy you've all kept this thread alive for so long. I love that there's a good place to talk about this stuff when the more specific threads die (or simply don't exist).

I played a lot more Fallout 2 than Fallout, but I only beat it once. The several other times I tried I forgot to patch and inevitably had my car glitch out, then gave up. Thankfully, most versions should come pre-patched these days.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

seorin posted:

Stuff like this is why I'm happy you've all kept this thread alive for so long. I love that there's a good place to talk about this stuff when the more specific threads die (or simply don't exist).

I played a lot more Fallout 2 than Fallout, but I only beat it once. The several other times I tried I forgot to patch and inevitably had my car glitch out, then gave up. Thankfully, most versions should come pre-patched these days.

There's also this: http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?202265-Fallout-2-Restoration-Project-2-3-3-(Unofficial-Expansion)

Same guy (killap) was working on one for FO1 but I can't find it at the moment.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you can definitely complete Fallout 1 without combat because I've seen too many brain-melting arguments about whether you technically can or not based on the important point that, while you can definitely win without killing anyone, sometimes you end up in the combat mode and have to run away

Yeah, I've done a pacifist run of Fallout 1 before: a combination of high Science, Speech, Sneak and Lockpick is enough to solve most quests in the game (including all of the main plot) without having to fight. You miss out on a lot of experience by not killing anything, but since you're not fighting you don't really need all those levels in the first place. Most of Fallout 2 is doable without fighting as well, but as far as I know there's no way to avoid fighting the end boss: the best you can do is use NPC companions and the turrets in the boss room to avoid personally having to fire a shot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I just finished Fallout 1.

I got the robes from the Followers and went to the Cathedral. It took me a couple of tries to get upstairs to find Morpheus. The problem was that I had my companions with me, which kept giving me away. I left Tycho and Katja outside the front door, but you can't tell Dogmeat to leave, so I had to kill him. :smith:

I convinced Morpheus to take me to the Master. I had to reload a couple of times I kept saying the wrong thing (I'm not sure, but it seems like he'll disregard Vree's report. It might've been that I didn't have the actual tape.) Regardless, he set the base to self-destruct, so I high-tailed it out of there, making sure to pick up Tycho and Katja on the way.

I dropped them off at the Hub, and went to the Military Base. I talked my way past the gate guard and made it into the base. I made it down to the control room (I know the trick about going through the force-fields; I had more than enough stimpacks to deal with the damage), decrypted the control codes, and set the base for silent self-destruct. I ran back out the way I came, and that was it.

Having now finished the game, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with it. When you break the game down, it seems pretty brief and uneven.

I don't know; I feel like I'll like Fallout 2 a lot better. It's a bigger game, and I've heard that it improves and fixes some of the little things from Fallout 1.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 25, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know; I feel like I'll like Fallout 2 a lot better. It's a bigger game, and I've heard that it improves and fixes some of the little things from Fallout 1.

I preferred number 2; some people didn't like its pop culture references.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I liked FO2 more also. It's one of those sequels that does enough better across the board than its predecessor that its hard to go back so I can see why its good to play 1 first. I enjoyed FO1 a lot but I wasn't such a fan that I was eagerly awaiting the sequel but I got absolutely hooked on 2 and played through it for ages. It was so drat broken at release but I'd just gamely restart when saves were trashed or quest states went sideways.

Too bad there wasn't something like Steam stats as I'm curious what old game I put the most hours into.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 25, 2015

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
FO2 is a great game but I think they did go way overboard with the pop culture stuff and I also think they had way too many combat encounters with... a lot of enemies in them. Even on full speed, cycling through all those opponents take too much time. There are some real good improvements though of course.

I liked Fallout because it wasy fairly straight post-apocalypse. And of course there's a huge wad of nostalgia in there because it really knocked me on my rear end when I first played it, But to me it always felt a bit more even than Fallout 2 did and I like that, plus I kinda like it when games are not too drawn out at any rate.

Obviously some areas could've used some fleshing out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fallout 1 is basically the best ever demo for a game or genre of games that never really came to pass. A lot of the love for it comes from what it was trying to do and how, while it’s been influential, it’s a path RPGs never really followed, possibly due to the comparatively much more successful Diablo and Baldur’s Gate.

Fallout 2 is good but there's a lot more filler and the flaws of the game and combat become a lot more apparent because it's like three times longer. There are a lot of areas where there’s really only one solution and it’s usually long and obnoxious. Klamath’s rat caves, anyone? I still really enjoy it, but every time I replay (or try to replay) it I find myself rolling my eyes a lot at reaching certain sections. Fallout 1, for all its uneven qualities, doesn’t really have that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I love FO2, but it so god damned buggy.

I've only ever finished it once, back in the day, as every time I've tried to play it since the game is basically falling apart by the time I get to San Francisco and nothing is triggering and it's constantly crashing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fallout 4 is honestly the least buggy Fallout I've played (all of them except Tactics)

I've almost got platinum on PS4 and so far I've had one crash (which happened right after an autosave, no big deal), two conversations where the dialogue wheel didn't appear (I just walked away and came back and it worked fine, no big deal), a settlement that keeps saying it has 0 defence until I visit it and it's all fine (annoying and probably going to prevent me from getting plat until it's fixed, but not the end of the world) and a whole shitload of minor texture/clipping issues (lol this is a bethesda gamebryo game). Nothing on the level of gamebreaking bugs and crashes I've had in the others - especially New Vegas, where an NPC required to advance the story was floating way up in the sky, and this being on 360 I couldn't do anything to talk to him so it was essentially game over.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I love Fallout 4. It is occupying a lot of my time. Looking forward to the inevitable DLC, and the inevitable Skyrim sequel being made in this engine. I'd love to explore a bright and pretty fantasy world in it.

Almost, almost makes me keen to play Fallout 2 for about the fifth time. I never finished it once. I just got overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to do without any kind of quest log. The game felt huge but unmanageably huge and I always get lost and drowned in events and locations...

The fact that Star Wars KOTOR 2 has been patched again is somewhat more appealing...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I love FO2, but it so god damned buggy.

I've only ever finished it once, back in the day, as every time I've tried to play it since the game is basically falling apart by the time I get to San Francisco and nothing is triggering and it's constantly crashing.

The Restoration Project that was linked earlier fixes a lot of issues with that game at least. The original unpatched Fallout 2 was really something else, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fallout 2 is probably better than Fallout 1 overall, but the first few hours of the game are garbage. It gets better once you hit The Den, but the Temple of Trials and Arroyo suck and Klamath is just kind of boring. Every time I want to replay Fallout 2, I remember what an absolute slog the beginning is. The other problem is the constant pop culture references, mostly in Broken Hills and New Reno. It got so bad that Chris Avellone afterwards said only the broadest strokes of what you actually do and see in those areas actually happened.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

What I like about Fallout 1 is how concise it feels. There's very little bloat compared to other RPGs, which means it's easy to run through the game in a couple of hours. That kind of incentivises you to try out some silly gimmick builds like a low-INT run or a character focused on throwing weapons. Plus, you get to listen to Tony Jay. :allears:

It's definitely not as expansive as Fallout 2, though, and most of its quests have a very simplistic design.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 25, 2015

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
As long as we're in Fallout chat, I'm waiting for Fallout 3 and New Vegas to go on sale for the holidays. I understand New Vegas is better regarded but is it worth getting both?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I played Fallout 3, then replayed it with all of the DLC, then a little over a year later went through New Vegas and almost all its DLC and am happy I did it in that order. I don't think you'll want to do FO3 after FO:NV, but if you're after plenty of Fallout you can go FO3+DLC -> NV easily enough.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
If you can get them cheap, you can get some enjoyment out of both. Most folks use the Tale of Two Wastelands mod to integrate Fallout 3 with New Vegas, and you can start in Fallout 3 and enjoy the improvements NV made, like ironsights. Fallout 3 doesn't play nice with modern operating systems, apparently.

I really love New Vegas, so if you only get one and enjoyed the original two Fallouts, New Vegas would be it.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Twobirds posted:

If you can get them cheap, you can get some enjoyment out of both. Most folks use the Tale of Two Wastelands mod to integrate Fallout 3 with New Vegas, and you can start in Fallout 3 and enjoy the improvements NV made, like ironsights. Fallout 3 doesn't play nice with modern operating systems, apparently.

I really love New Vegas, so if you only get one and enjoyed the original two Fallouts, New Vegas would be it.

Both games still require a fan patch in order to fix frame-rate stuttering issues. Your frame rate will say it is a stable 60fps, but it will look very choppy and not "right". After you patch it, it's really smooth, and you are left with the disappointment of a bad FPS because it uses terrible animations and AI. Hint: Don't play it as an FPS, play it as an RPG.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

New Vegas is basically the Mask of the Betrayer to Fallout 3’s Neverwinter Nights 2. Same rubbish gameplay but worth playing for the choices, writing and “feel” that the predecessor doesn’t do well. If you play 3 first there’s a pretty good chance you’ll get burned out on the crap shooting and give up before finishing New Vegas.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
New Vegas is just a more developed RPG and a more honest Fallout game in every way: faction specific reputation, traits, better perks. Also the survival difficulty changes the way you play the game quite a bit. You might like it or not. There's a mod called "A Tale of Two Wastelands" that combines Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Maybe check that out?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I really prefer fallout 1 because of how short it is, it ends at exactly the point it feels like it should. In fallout 2 they definitely set out in making a much larger game and they succeeded, but the result ended up giving the game alot of glitches and pacing problems, it also just overall felt less cohesive. That said i really love both games.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

New Vegas is basically the Mask of the Betrayer to Fallout 3’s Neverwinter Nights 2. Same rubbish gameplay but worth playing for the choices, writing and “feel” that the predecessor doesn’t do well. If you play 3 first there’s a pretty good chance you’ll get burned out on the crap shooting and give up before finishing New Vegas.

I actually had a ton of fun playing New Vegas with jsawyer and project nevada installed.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Eurogamer — Modders are remaking Fallout 1 in Fallout New Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

fToo bad FO3 and NV has terrible gameplay