Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Gothic is the worst game in the series, though. I say that having spent way too many hours on it and beaten all the ridiculous postgame content, but that's true for the previous games as well. Granted that the differences between the games are mostly pretty minor. Elminage 2 is probably the best of the lot, or at least that's my memory.

(It might be that the 3DS version is better; I vaguely recall the PC Gothic is based on the PSP version.)

Bonus content: One of the best offhands from I think E3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do these games have an English translation?

Elminage 1 also has an english translation on the PSP (as "Elminage Original").

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Genpei Turtle posted:

That part doesn't really bother me. Elminage is basically Wizardry Empire with the serial numbers filed off, and in those games the only way to look at your map was through a spell.

Well. Gothic is basically Empire 4 in the guise of Elminage. The original series, less so. (The limited use automap is one of the things Gothic changes.)

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

netcat posted:

I love the original lovely wizardrys but for some reason I've a hard time getting into elminage. I've only played elminage Gothic though, but I'm imaging it being basically the same game as original.

Gothic is a markedly worse game than the 'real' Elminages. Really it's Wizardry Empire IV in the Elminage engine.

Not so different that you'll like the core games if you hated Gothic or vice versa, but still.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Genpei Turtle posted:

Never played any of the other Elminages, what is it that makes them better? I loved the hell out of Gothic because it felt like a Wizardry Empire. I've seen some of the others floating around on the 3DS e-shop but I haven't picked any of them up.

All three Elminages essentially follow the same structure of being the wizclone equivalent of open-world games.

As soon as you clear the tutorial, all of the dungeons (except the final dungeon) open up and can (theoretically) be explored in any order and fashion you desire. In order to open up the final dungeon you need to find 7 (I think?) macguffins which are randomly scattered across the dungeons (and yes, literally randomly; there's even a way to rescatter them on the off chance that one should end up in an inaccessible spot). Doing quests earns "fame points" which are used to improve the precision of your macguffin radar; all quests (other than the tutorial and defeating the final boss) are thus optional.

They're also very different in feel to Gothic, with a more playful/absurdist tone. Elminage I-III aren't technically set in the same "world" and there's no continuity between the individual main plots, but they're in the same multiverse setting and the respective postgames gradually reveal more about the hows and whys and goings on this level. (No small part of my disappointment with Gothic probably just comes down to not getting to see where they were going with this now that the original creator left...)

(Somebody said Original was PSP-only above btw, it's been on Steam since some time last year.)

thark fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 17, 2018

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Genpei Turtle posted:

I dunno, somehow that sounds less appealing than Gothic. I like the more serious tone of Gothic,

Yeah, clearly when I'm down on Gothic, I'm speaking as a fan of the originals. To my view they essentially removed most of what makes it unique and different.

There's also the limited-use map but that's been covered already, and I seem to remember (could be mistaken) they no longer had images for the item gallery.

Genpei Turtle posted:

The only thing I really don't like about Gothic is the extreme ramp-up in post-game difficulty without commiserate EXP scaling. When I read online about characters with four-digit levels fighting the last boss of the final tower and after nearly 200 hours and 7 levels into the tower I have a party of level 150ish characters that seems like...bad balance.

The post-game bosses in the original Elminages makes, I dunno, mere Disgaea levels of inflation look tame in comparison but at least they also have ways of gaining commesurately inflated amounts of experience. :-)

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
5, no question. Really anything with real-time elements will be a "despite, not because of" enjoyment at best.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I think this is the big thing about RTwP that a lot of people don't like but can't really articulate - because the issue isn't the combat in a vacuum but rather how that combat system influences the encounter design and frequency. RTwP might make it easier to blow through trash but the thing is that developers know that and so every dungeon becomes like 30 encounters instead of 5.

I also feel like if trash takes too long to blow through in a turn-based game, it's a sign either the interface is too clumsy or animations too long. (The latter being a very common issue these days.)

Like, (extreme example) a trash fight in original Wizardry with text speed set to max is practically instant, there's no way rtwp would be faster.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So Jeff just posted a kickstarter update saying the Geneforge remasted is essentially complete and going out to testers (planned closed beta January, public release February).

E: I guess there's a dedicated Spiderweb thread but anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Thuryl posted:

It would save a little bit on savefile size, but I suspect it's more of a design decision than a technical one. (Even going back as far as the first Wizardry game, while you couldn't save inside the dungeon, if your party died in the dungeon, the game would helpfully save exactly where they died so you could go retrieve them with a different party.)

Technically original Wizardry (not necessarily the console adaptations and such) didn't have manual saving period, it would save basically every step so you could choose to leave the party where they were and rejoin them later (or have a different party head there to meet them) at any time

So essentially Dark Souls style saving.