Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Spincut posted:

The big thing I've heard about Temple of Elemental Evil (the newer one) is the Circle of Eight modpack. GoG linky here. It's mostly bug fixes, but it does add some content like new quests as well. Heavily recommended for the "complete" ToEE experience.

EDIT: Also, from experience I can tell you that vanilla ToEE is RIDDLED with bugs. So an experience without the drat thing crashing to desktop every half an hour would be fantastic.

Awwww, now I have to dig out ToEE again. I tried Co8 back in the day but ran into a game-breaking bug (basically, whenever a certain battle started the game crashed. Said battle was esstential :smith:). I really enjoyed ToEE the first time out but never completed it (got sick of running in and out of the Temple just to rest up) and would like to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Harlock posted:

Does anyone have any positive things to say about Lionheart? I've always been intrigued by the game ever since I saw it in a magazine many moons ago. I know it's supposed to be some sort of Diablo clone, but most reviews have poor impressions of it. Are there any fan made patches that improve the game, or can people chime in with their own personal experiences with it?

Ugh, this game. Such a dissapointment, since the premise was fantastic. Basically, Richard the Lionheart's massacre of Muslim prisoners is used by some evil wizard type to rip open a vortex which drops a shitload of mystical stuff onto Europe. Fast forward to the Renaissance and you've got great potential for a fantasy-Fallout game in a world both similar and completely hosed up. Then after the devs finished up the first act the publishers decided to release it as is, and the result was a great few hours followed by a lovely Diablo clone that made other lovely Diablo clones look like GOTYs by comparison :smith:

Basically, it's KOTOR2 if the good stuff ended at Peragus.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 22, 2012

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Can someone who has some experience with the game recommend which version of the Circle of Eight modpack to install for Temple of Elemental Evil? The forum presents this loving ridiculous chart explaining the differences in the most confusing way possible.

What I want - bugfixes, restored content, anything that makes the game better
What I don't want - terrible fan-made content

I've been trying it out and you may as well go with the 7.0.0 NC one. I've only tried the first two pieces of fan-made stuff and they seem pretty decent, plus all of it takes place in new areas so it's easy to avoid if you're not interested. Plus the first one (Welkwood Bog) is a MUCH better way to get to level 2 at the beginning instead of the lovely fed-ex quests in the village.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

precision posted:

Pool of Radiance

Didn't the more recent version of that wipe your hard drive if you uninstalled? That's incentives to keep playing right there!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

:siren: GOG has some pretty nifty games for 50% off this weekend :siren:

Master of Orion 3

There's something wrong with this picture :colbert:

Seriously, that game is awful.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Darklands 2 Kickstarter.

I'd chip in for that. The premise of Darklands sounds awesome, but ye olde control systems irritate me to no end. Maybe expand the area to include more of Europe?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

For marketability, you'd probably want to set Darklands II in medieval England. But I'd actually kind of like to see it move east into Russia. Huge dark forests, more creepy folklore, some form of winter weather system that forces you to hole up for a month or two now and then...

Or keep it in Germany and get one of those batshit insane German companies to make it. Germans love hard-as-gently caress RPGs, and opening up the map to the east would include groups like the Polish and Russians, who also prefer their RPGs ball-bustingly hard. Although Germans also love their control systems as obtuse as possible...:ohdear:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Gladi posted:

Incidentally I never finished the game, can somebody spoil the antagonists motivations for me?

IIRC, it's the same as Ash from Alien. Protect the company's interests no matter the cost. And since if the mission is scrubbed the company will go bankrupt, the AI will go ahead with the mining regardless of casualties (like the entire planet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

I tried Arcanum several times when it first came out and could never get into it, but for that price I'll give it another try.

Do not under any circumstances use real time combat. It's way too bloody fast to make sense of what's going on and by the time you do figure it out you're dead.