Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Great thread idea, I love old western cRPGs.

Darklands

Probably one of the first and best sandbox cRPGs. Action takes place in medieval Germany filled with european folklore, so it has some low fantasy elements like weird monsters from German legends or alchemy instead of magic spells. Darklands is basically a mix of Baldur's Gate, Ultima, Mount and Blade and Bethesda. First you create your party by going through life of each party member year by year - so if you want to make a team of old veterans that are already experienced in the start of the game but are near death then you're free to do so. After the creation process you start the game without any goals. You can work for various guilds, town mayors, shady organisations. There's a shitload of towns, quests, locations and cool random encounters. Combat works kinda like Baldur's Gate, which means that you can pause the game and give orders to every party member. You have to be very careful, cause Darklands is pretty realistic when it comes to injuries, stamina and wounds.

Also, if you like CYOA games then you're gonna love Darklands, because outside of combat and travelling on world map this game basically IS a CYOA game. Every random encounter gives you a list of things that you can do and skills that you can use.

The developers of Mount & Blade said that Darklands was a major inspiration for them, and you can definitely see and feel it when you play both games.

GOG Link: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/darklands

Other info: If you have any problems or questions about the game then go here: http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml. It's a cool fansite filled with FAQs, walkthroughs etc.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

seorin posted:

I've always felt somehow ashamed that I like Arcanum better than Fallout 2

You're definitely not alone in this. I adore Fallout 1 and 2, they are one of the best cRPGs of all time (if not the best)... but I think I love Arcanum more. I always thought that Arcanum had more options and was bigger than Fallouts. I don't even know if its true, but it certainly felt that way.

When I realized the horrible truth that I like Arcanum more that Fallout I felt like I cheated on a lover or something.

I'm also ashamed that I liked Fallout 3 more than New Vegas.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Harlock posted:

Does anyone have any positive things to say about Lionheart?

One time I participated in some cRPG video game knowledge contest and I won the second, "mystery" prize. When the package finally came I opened it and I started laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. It was Lionheart. This game was basically a running joke amongst my nerdier friends.

Don't play it, it's a terrible game.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

I never played Divine Divinity cause I always thought that it's a lovely, cheap Diablo 1 knockoff, but after reading this thread it turned out that I was very wrong. So I bought it today and so far it seems cool. One thing's annoying though - the light radius around your character is too small, even when I'm on the surface the fog of war is terrible and I see about 10 metres ahead. Also the camera perspective is very weird, it's not standard isometric perspective. It looks like camera is halfway between isometric and side view like in 2d platformers.

But like I said - it's ok so far. The graphics ain't so bad, looks good in modern resolutions.

Any advice for a DD newbie?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Bruteman posted:

Any of you who liked Adventure Construction Set would probably enjoy mucking around with Adventure Creation Kit. The guy who made this was a fan of ACS and programmed his version in the '90s; about two years ago he decided to update it somewhat for modern systems.

Oh my god this is amazing, I'm totally gonna download this, start making a game and never finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

precision posted:

Serious question, would anyone else be up for a goonproject with this kit? I'm good with dialogue, writing, plot and so forth but have never been great at the gears and bolts side.

I used to create games in GameMaker and RPG Maker so I can try to learn how to make games in ACK too. I have tons of free time so I'll check out the manual today or tomorrow.