Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Angrymog posted:

I've been trying Vaporum - it's not old, but it is a blobber style, and it has a feature I really like - a stop time mode - not true turn based, but time only moves when you do - makes working your way through timing based puzzles a lot easier - one of my big problems with those sorts of things is that I can work out what to do, but I can't always execute them quickly enough. Wish more games had that as an option - also makes it a lot more accessible for people who may have dexterity issues.

Also tried the Starcrawlers: Chimera EA as I'd backed it on kickstarter - if you like Star Crawlers, you'll like this. Not much in the way of visible plot, but guessing they're going to add that closer to release. It's totally turn based, but with a bit of FPS style aiming available.

Single player blobbers just get me bored real quick. It has sadly been this way since Dungeon Hack which otherwise would have been one of my favourite games ever. Anvil of Dawn, later, felt similarly flat without the combined party mix of skills/spells. So have never managed to pull the trigger on Vaporum, or SC:Chimera.

I liked the original Star Crawlers a lot though, thought it did a lot of things well, and didn't overstay its welcome. I would have preferred a SC 2 with improved random floor generation, and a good few more hand crafted ones (as well as a way to mitigate the constant requirement to freelook spin to collect loot...), but ah, fair play to them if they want to try something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quantumfoam posted:

Offtopic request incoming.

Does anyone have a working download link for the old Beamdog client listed here https://store.beamdog.com/about/client_legacy or be willing to put it up on dropbox or something for the weekend?
I bought a bunch of RPGs from Beamdog's old publisher storefront back before Beamdog tripled-down on Baldurs Gate, and want to see what I bought there before double or triple buying something anything.

Silly question but wouldn't the new client they point to on the right allow you to do the same?

edit: ah I guess the "Download the old Beamdog Client to access titles purchased through the old Beamdog publisher store" means that no, it doesn't. That's a bit mad that your purchases didn't get transferred over.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Lands of Lore, was there a trick to defeat the giant worm at the entrance of the mines? I remember having to cheese it by spending a couple in-game-time weeks entering the mines, spamming fireballs, exiting mines and resting. That thing hit like a truck and had what felt like a bazillion HP.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

inscrutable horse posted:

You could get an item called Lorkhan Vapours or somesuch for doing a quest in the swamp, I think. You retrieved a mask for the swampfolk, IIRC.

Doesn't ring a bell, it's been a while. But that would make sense. I always felt I had missed something obvious and my approach couldn't have been the intended strategy.

edit: eh, went to look at some playthrough videos around the mines, and there's nothing like the worm I seem to remember. Guess I'm mixing up games.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 21, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Chev posted:

There definitely is a very big, hard to kill worm called a Larkhon at the entrance of the Urbish mines, that in the normal flow of the game you will defeat using a green skull you get from upper Opinwood, that casts an acid mist spell the Larkhon is vulnerable to. Larkhon Vapors are the Lands of Lore 2way to defeat it.

Ah, so I'm not going senile just yet, and Inscrutable Horse had it right. Thanks!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There is currently a bug where buying this gives you Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager. It's not worth it

Yeah, it's a big letdown after how great Shattered Land was. Wish we could get a new Dark Sun game in some modern engine.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Anyone here played Serpent in the Staglands? I'm kind of tempted to pick it up on sale, as it seems to echo a lot of the stuff I enjoyed in some older games such as Dark Sun Shattered Lands or even Ultima 7: non-linear story, no level scaling, maps but without markers, a seemingly reasonably big place to explore... But the description emphasizing the number of skills as well as some reviews make it sound like busywork mechanically, and I'm not sure I feel like dealing too much with that (like, in Kingmaker, I just use online builds for companions because I really can't be bothered to deal with the minmaxing). I'd appreciate if anyone has thoughts about it.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 4, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Cheers. That monsters respawning on reload doesn't sound good. Was that long ago?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
That sounds so ludicrous that I can't imagine it wasn't a bug, but if it hasn't been fixed, well, that's pretty much a non-starter I guess.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dreamsicle posted:

Thanks everyone, I'll probably ditch Neera for Dynahir since whenever I've tried to manually cast with her, I seem to end up exploding although that may be coincidental. I'm also considering replacing Jaheira and Khalid with a cleric (Branwen or Viconia) cause Khalid is kind of annoying but I don't know who my 6th party member would be.

Just use the old reliable strategy of letting Khalid charge a black bear naked: you get your party slot and you can keep Jaheira. Same with Dynaheir should you decide you'd rather rehire Neera. Somehow, Minsc leaves if you don't keep her in the party, but he's totally chill with you getting her to strip down before wrestling wildlife.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Controller bindings are excellent too in Legends of Amberland, making it a cool pocket rpg for the steam deck.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Found out that Daggerfall Unity has hit 1.0 on new year's eve, so went back into it with a not-crazy-but-decent mod list and I have wasted my week's gaming on it. The travel mods in particular are a fantastic addition, allowing you to travel on foot or horseback in accelerated time with possible encounters on the way. That also includes events from other mods taking place near the roads such as bandit raids on farms. It's just a cool little addition and an optional one at that, so if you just want to instantly commute, the option is still there. But if you're just playing yet another dumb character and don't care about the main quest, it adds a lot of the feels to the sandbox and its bazillion procgen quests augmented further by the quests mod packs.

On quests by the way, the latest one I did was to help organise a "birthday party" with a kidnapping theme. Had to visit a guy in his home at night, throw a bag over his head and carry him to an undead-infested underground crypt 2 days travel away where his friends were (allegedly) going to just wish him a happy birthday, and don't-you-worry-the-guards-are-on-it-so-they-won't-arrest-you-and-there's-1000gold-for-you-on-delivery. Press X for doubt... But then, whatever, they had me at 1000 gold. Went in, kidnapped the guy, brought him to the crypt and as I enter the crypt... a bunch of people run in, shout SUPRIIIIIISE and it indeed was all a big joke for his birthday... :allears:

There's also a mod revamping language skills, allowing you to use them to pacify monsters a bit more easily if you invest enough, and eventually chat further, asking them where the dungeon objective is, or even getting them to join you as companions. They never last too long, but it's cool to walk around with a pet rat/skeleton/zombie/battlemage for a bit. Also, even if you fail the join request, pacified monsters are no longer on the monster side, so they start fighting other monsters and it's utter chaos, creating a lot of backstabbing opportunities for you.

Sure, it took 27 years, but we finally have the Daggerfall we always deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Not sure if you need the game to actually be old or if you're after the old design, so just in case it's the latter, Legends of Amberland is a cute mini MM3/Xeen which comes with full controller support.