Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For what it's worth, OP, IWD/IWD2 and ToEE are all available on GOG and run on modern systems. Also, for any mac users with nostalgia like me, infinity engine games run pretty well in wine although they can take some tweaking. I don't really have time to write up a guide but if anybody has questions about getting them to work on OS X post here or PM me and i will try to help you.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jefferoo posted:

I'm on a crummy 13" Macbook Pro and looking to pick some of these up - any ideas of how to get these running on OSX?

Which ones? If you're looking to play infinity engine games (baldur's gate, BG2, PST, IWD/IWD2) download wineskin. Anything that says it requires dosbox, try boxer.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

rt4 posted:

UQM is the real deal, not some halfass fan project.

There is no reason to play anything other than ur-quan masters, as far as i'm concerned it is the definitive version of star control 2. I personally thought it was kind of shameful that GOG put up the original SC2 for sale actually, and that's speaking as a huge fan of GOG in general.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Skeezy posted:

Speaking of Might and Magic 3, is there anything of note I should know before I start playing it? The talk about it has got me to buy the 6-pack from GOG.

Save a lot. There is very little direction and you will almost certainly blunder into something you can't handle at some point and wipe, it's nice to lose nothing. Otherwise have fun.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
In case anybody doesn't know this, star control 3 is a badgame and you shouldn't play it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Douche Bag posted:

Where would be a good place to start with these old RPGs? I bought Eschalon on Steam and am loving it so far. I want to see where it's roots are. Planescape caught my eye but people tell me that it's not great for people new to crpgs.

I would start with baldur's gate II, if you dig that then the other infinity engine games will be fine (Baldur's gate, icewind dale/icewind dale II, planescape). Fallout and fallout 2 are similar era and also very good, you would probably enjoy those as well. The interface is somewhat clunkier than that of the infinity engine games though so keep that in mind. If you want to go older-school than that I would pick up might and magic 3/4/5 (they're available as part of a bundle from GOG) as they're very approachable and a lot of fun if you like dungeon crawling.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

field balm posted:

This thread has me wanting to try some first person dungeon crawlers! Can anyone recommend some with smaller parties? Wizardry looks excellent, but managing six dudes sounds confusing, maybe 4 or something would be sweet.

Try M&M3 or 4/5. The way battles progress in those games is actually extremely slick, you won't get bogged down by having the two extra guys at all.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's been years since I tried to play any of them but i seem to remember geneforge being punishingly difficult. c/d?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is anybody willing to write up a primer for combat in darklands? Following rope kid's advice I went to jack up some thieves and found the combat interface to be totally baffling. Three of my party members got their asses kicked immediately while my beefiest fighter killed all of the thieves without me successfully giving him any orders. I really want to get into this game but there is a definite learning curve associated with the UI.

Edit: also one of the banking clans gave me a quest to kill a raubritter as soon as I walked in the door, before I had done anything. It was literally my first stop after character creation.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 28, 2012

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

School Bully posted:

(BG talk - started playing Tutu, doing the usual restart-5-times routine, and every single time I think -this time- Gorion will win :( )

Why would you restart 5 times, the first part of baldur's gate is the worst part of the entire series and downright painful to play

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of Baldur's Gate, how painful is it to play a caster? I remember AD&D2 being absolutely brutal as a low-level caster.

BG1 can be a little rough in the early sections if you're playing a single class caster solo but if you play with a party you'll be fine. a multiclass fighter/mage or fighter/mage/thief can absolutely wreck poo poo even by themselves in the early game though, just put everything to sleep and then kill them individually. You get stronger extremely quickly as well if you're soloing.

BG2 is another story, you can easily solo SoA and ToB as a wizard or sorcerer.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

WarLocke posted:

I was reading the Legend of Grimrock thread and kind of bummed that such a sweet looking game is real-time, but somebody brought up Wizardy 8 in terms of a similar dungeon-crawlish game that was turn-based. What's the opinion on that? Good game, bad? Should I look into it?

why is everybody so pissed about this, there are plenty of real time dungeon crawlers and many of them were awesome.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

GrandpaPants posted:

I love the hell out of 4-5 (they are essentially one giant game), but the UI is terrible and I wish it would get updated somehow. It's been a while since I gave it a go, but if I remember, it's incredibly hard to figure out your weapon/armor stats are and you can't pin notes on your minimap. I also forgot old games don't have things like autosave, so if you wander into the wrong zone and face a swarm of killer bees that poo poo lightning out their stingers (or whatever), hope you saved away from that area! It's still really good, though, and I think it's worth playing.

I disagree with this, I did not play M&M games back in their heyday and was introduced to them through GOG (heroes series is another story). I found the UI of 3-5 to be quite accessible. The hardest part to get used to is that you can't see friendly NPCs in the main view screen - i spent about ten minutes wandering around the first town in world of xeen wondering why all the buildings were empty before I figured out that if you interact with a square where you might expect somebody to be (bench, desk, bed, tent, etc) the game will tell you whether or not anyone is there. The same is not true of monsters, you can see them a ways off. I have no idea why they did it like this.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Which if I recall correctly is quite doable, unless they patched out thievery potions stacking.

you can also glitch a regular gem into overflow and sell 65535 of them for fat stacks if you want to get exploity.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Filthy Monkey posted:

Ultima has completely escaped me.

I never got into the main ultima series proper so I can't speak to them, but if you haven't played ultima underworld you really should. For a 20-year-old game and AFAIK the very earliest example of its type it holds up extremely well.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I don't really get the hate for the second edition rules in video games. They're clunkier to use on the table top, sure, but the game engine takes care of most of that stuff for you. AD&D is also way more fun to break than 3rd edition.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

WarLocke posted:

And now that I'm thinking about Arcanum again I'm upset it's not on Steam. :(

It's on GOG though so what difference does it make?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ulmont posted:

I thought I saw that in this thread? I mean, I bought it on May 10 and I'm pretty sure it was the result of this thread...

You are correct.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Well, that makes three kickstarters i've gone in for.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fintilgin posted:

Play an elven wizard and learn the harm spell. It's available in character creation.

That's it. You're good to go!

More specifically, you should also take the character background "sold your soul for magickal power"

it's about what it sounds like.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Quarex posted:

The Heroes of Might & Magic games were once good modern time-wasters for those of us who thought King's Bounty was the coolest RPG-inspired strategy game ever ... but the King's Bounty reboot series is much more in keeping with the original. So, in my mind, the Heroes of Might & Magic series is now obsolete. But surely plenty of other people disagree.

Who cares what they're in keeping with, the HoMM series kicks rear end.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Harm and teleport are basically all you need. Anything else is window dressing.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you just want general advice, pick mental abilities over physical as they are way more important and the first couple of party members you get are fighters and can handle a lot. If you want more specific info than that there are guides online that tell you what stats to take and when without being plot spoilers.

The game isn't difficult in terms of combat. You can't start as a mage but you can switch classes relatively soon, and you should because magic owns.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bouchacha posted:

I'd recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. That seems to fit this perfectly except it's quite difficult. Start off with a Minotaur Berserker and just press tab to get through the game.
crawl is good if you want really tactical gameplay and extreme difficulty. if you just try to autopilot through the game you will never get anywhere and will die repeatedly. Just play diablo 2, it's exactly what you want. Other similar possibilities are Titan quest and divine divinity.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jordan7hm posted:

Unless you're Lawman.

I'd agree with the Diablo 2 suggestion though.

I've registered multiple wins in crawl tournaments and watched lawman play, he is really good and crazy fast but I guarantee you he doesn't win on autopilot.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I don't see where his insane views should come into it unless you have reason to believe that paying for the game would directly fund/support acts you'd find objectionable; he doesn't do anything with his novel worldview except blog about it (and blog, and blog). He's no Brad Wardell that's using his position of power to harass female employees or Orson Scott Card putting the fruits of his success directly into spreading his views, just a shithead in a bunker that might have made a good game.

I mean, I get that he's a terrible person and you'd rather he didn't have any of your money, but buying it is really just expressing your support for more Wizardry-likes and desire to see them become a profitable style of game, so on the balance of things I'm happy to do it.

On the other hand, he once wrote a murder fanfic about me so I'm tempted not to buy it just to spite him. It was pretty good, though.

Now you have to link it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, Grimrock was Good Fun, but turn-based M&M? That's the Real Deal. :c00l:

Dungeon master and eye of the beholder are just as old school and that's what grimrock was hearkening back to. I understand preferring turn based but all the whining around grimrock's release and self-righteous gloating now about how grimrock isn't might and magic is stupid. It was never trying to be.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The Depths in Dark Souls are pretty cool, but they're more the exception.

I agree with you, but even then I thought they were one of the least interesting parts of the game. I think that just speaks to the fact that dark souls is an all around amazing loving game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Quarex posted:

also, CrookedB, thanks for the interview. It has helped me realize a mechanic in old-school CRPGs that I love that I never realized I loved--visiting a trainer to advance in experience. It is clearly some sort of arbitrary verisimilitudinous yearning that makes me like it (and is it really realistic that "some people down at the arena" are always going to be able to better train the greatest adventurers on the planet, anyway?). Too bad it is not being kept, but hopefully I can come to terms.

I always hated that mechanic. I'm glad it's getting shitcanned, no offense.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bovineicide posted:

I know this gets brought up a lot, but I haven't seen it in the last few pages. What's generally the best Ultima to start with? I played Bard's Tale and some Infinity Engine games, but I totally skipped it somehow as a kid :ohdear:

4 or 7.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Chairchucker posted:

I just bought them. Someone tell me which I should play first.

I would start with geneforge and go forward from there, the old interfaces are clunky and will be hard to go back to once you've played avadon.

Keep in kind that you've purchased like 500 hours of gameplay.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jordan7hm posted:

He's a one man show. If making an RTS keeps him making games, then that's great.

KOTC was well worth the 20$ or whatever that I spent for it a few years back.

I continue to be let down by the lack of a mac release for this game, but apparently a mac version of KoTC2 is "possible" so there's that i guess.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

BadAstronaut posted:

Unfortunately people just don't love old school RPGs as much as they should.

I'm frothing over the release of BG2:EE later this week. Maybe, maybe a reworking of the greatest game ever made well garner some more in interest.

I just finished the first Enhanced Edition on Sunday and will be taking my character through. It's going to be a lot of AD&D this month...

Is there any reason to buy the EEs if I'm already comfortable getting the originals running with mods?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I snagged wiz 8 in the GOG holiday sale, can anybody recommend a starting party? For better or worse I'm not ten anymore and am probably only going to bother to play through it once.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Nice. So Lord/Ranger/Ninja/Gadgeteer/Bishop/bard is viable? that sounds like it covers the stuff i want to see as widely as possible without leaving any glaring holes, except magic is weak and i don't have any psi.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Well, bouchacha's party is working out pretty well so far. My only fuckup was picking sleep on my bishop, didn't realize the bard started with a sleep item. Also this game sounds exactly like jagged alliance 2, you can tell sirtech was recycling a lot of their audio around the time these two games came out.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
With regard to wizardry 8, does anybody know where the keyboard mapping configuration info is stored? I can change key maps in-game (primarily to enable wasd movement) but they revert to the arrow key defaults when I close and re-open the game. No problems with save games aside from that. It wouldn't even really be a problem but my keyboard doesn't have a numpad.

Edit:if anyone cares it's wiz8.cfg. it's not human readable so you can't edit it easily but my problem was that it was set to read only.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 10, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's currently hosted on plenty of abandonware sites and runs fine in dosbox.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CountingWizard posted:

I love the gold box games. Outside of actually playing d&d 1st edition around a table with friends, it's the closest experience to real d&d. The manual and adventure log and rumor thing really added depth to the campaign. I really wish they would remake them with exact mechanics but better control interface.

Also a different setting. The city of Phlan is cool and all but most of the D&D world settings are stupid as hell except maybe Darksun and Greyhawk. They are missing too much of the weird/pulp fiction which inspired the game.

Dark sun rules, it was the only official setting i ever used (as opposed to just cooking up some half assed thing for my friends to roll around and kill stuff in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Man this game sounds awesome and has been chilling in my library for a while. Definitely on the list (i'm halfway through the original witcher and i hate leaving a playthrough cause i rarely actually go back to finish them)