Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

precision posted:

Well this thread makes me feel old as poo poo! I clicked on it expecting Wizardry, Ultima, Might and Magic, Starflight, The Magic Candle, Tunnels and Trolls, etc.

Same. :(

I could never get into Wizardry and I've always felt vaguely bad about that. I like modern Wizardry throwbacks like The Dark Spire, I like Wizardry's contemporaries like Might & Magic (one of my favorite series of all time, actually), but for some reason I just can't get into Wizardry itself, even 7 which is by many accounts the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

andrew smash posted:

why is everybody so pissed about this, there are plenty of real time dungeon crawlers and many of them were awesome.

Yeah, but even back then people still had preferences. I liked Dungeon Master but I can absolutely see why someone wouldn't and would prefer Wizardry or Might and Magic instead.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mr E posted:

I'd suggest starting with number 2 if you're going to play M&M, as it improves on the first tremendously.

In a sense I agree because it is the better game, but I kind of feel like anyone who has trouble with part 1 will have trouble with part 2, and anyone who can get into part 2 should be able to appreciate part 1 as well. I have trouble picturing someone who finds 1 hard to get into but 2 just right.

For most people I just recommend starting on 3, since that's a massive leap in general playability.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. A seriously fun game that absolutely destroys the entire timeline for the series, because it's the canonical end to the entire franchise, and it's also like, the second game they ever did in it. I'm pretty sure every Ubisoft Might and Magic has been a prequel to a prequel to a prequel because they literally cannot carry the plot forward, so they just...keep going backwards.

Going a while back for this, but I've seen this mentioned a couple times and I was wondering... why? I don't know much about the plot of nuM&M, but in a genre where gods are routinely killed and worlds are saved and destroyed with reckless abandon, what is it about Dark Messiah that's impossible to follow up?