Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Why am I such a criminal for wanting an action orientated series? From SG-1 to BSG, everyone rolls their eyes at me for being so shallow.

There's nothing inherently wrong with action!!! Aliens (Alien 2) showed that. You can have depth of character and gripping narrative even with jarheads!

The biggest appeal of SG-1 to me was the fact that these were straight out military people getting into the fight. I would kill for a "Saving Private Ryan" in space. I feel the same about BSG.

Basically, just bring Space: Above and Beyond back to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Langolas posted:

Alls I have to do is mention Alien 3.... What an AWFUL movie. Some people like it, to each their own but I personally HATED it. There can always be good and bad to a sequel/prequel.

Caprica was decent in its own way, they just had too much belly aching and crying with the robot girl being obnoxious. I wanted to see more killing by the gay mobster uncle of zit face future admiral. That guy was seriously a badass waiting to be un-caged.

Alien 3 owns. But it's unlike both previous movies. If you approach it wanting a horror movie or an action movie you won't like it, because it isn't either of those things.

Caprica was just handled really poorly. I don't know what went on behind the scenes but that show needed radically different pacing and far less emphasis on that whole virtual world MMOPRG bullshit. By the end it got legit good, but getting there was excruciating and it hemorrhaged viewers because of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Action movies are fine, the problem is that a TV show is several times longer than an action movie and it's almost impossible to keep the momentum going indefinitely. 24 may have come the closest to that but it had its own problems and eventually fell apart (not to mention it was working with a network budget, not basic cable). And Aliens works because it's only the length of a feature film; it's hard to imagine it being much longer than it already is (not to mention having a yet larger budget and being helmed by one of the best action directors in the business).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm glad people brought up the Terminator, Alien, and Predator movies because they are the perfect example of how sometimes too much can be explained. We need to see on-screen versions of the Cylon War/Kobol as much as we needed to see on-screen versions of the robot wars/Space Jockeys*/Alien vs. Predator. I can't remember who originally said it, but a favorite quote of mine is, "Nothing Lucas or any other director could have shown us would ever equal the wonderful things we saw in our imaginations the moment Princess Leia said 'Clone Wars'."

*I might need to eat my words Prometheus comes out

Can't disagree about Clone Wars...the Obi vs Obi vs Obi battle in my head and infiltration of trenches by evil clones was pretty goddamn cool. Much more so than "oh hai protoStorm Troopers" :effort:

But I did enjoy Caprica, and still want to see more of the BSG universe. As flawed as Caprica could be, it introduced us to some cool backstories and neat characters like Daniel Greystone. I never want to live in a world where Eric Stolz isn't part of BSG canon. His character and the origins of the Cylons were great, as was the parallels to our own developing technological society.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

marketingman posted:

Colonel McQueen and Commodore Ross were the best. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

marketingman posted:

Why am I such a criminal for wanting an action orientated series? From SG-1 to BSG, everyone rolls their eyes at me for being so shallow.

There's nothing inherently wrong with action!!! Aliens (Alien 2) showed that. You can have depth of character and gripping narrative even with jarheads!

The biggest appeal of SG-1 to me was the fact that these were straight out military people getting into the fight. I would kill for a "Saving Private Ryan" in space. I feel the same about BSG.

BSG had really interesting characters and a good plot. Can't comment on SG-1, never watched it. But BSG was a pretty good drama, where you cared about the characters, and the action was just icing on the cake.

Supposedly though Blood and Chrome is an entirely action focused 90 minute movie during the first Cylon war, with an almost intentional avoidance on characters and a good plot. Without good characters, and a good plot, there's just no reason to care about what is going on, and the whole thing becomes boring. The action sequences in BSG were great because we cared about the characters, and even the fleet of ships themselves. So the battles like with the Battlestar Galactica saving everyone on New Caprica, was one of the most exciting things; if the writers had made the characters paper thin, and wooden, that whole action sequence would have put me to sleep.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure that Blood and Chrome was not written "with an almost intentional avoidance on characters and a good plot" and that there's nothing that's been released about it to suggest that other than the "prequels and/or action = completely terrible" mindset.

Considering that the plot synopsis released last summer sounded like something that would logically fit into the BSG universe, as well as containing big tie-ins to both Caprica and the Razor Flashbacks webseries, I think I can say that they definitely didn't just decide, "let's create a pure action spectacle and literally ignore the writing entirely!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'd be perfectly happy with an action oriented show that they used to backdoor great characterization like in BSG and slipping in of some of the philosophical, social, technological and religious discussions of Caprica.

"It's Blood and Chrome, come for the pew pew, and if you're not careful, you might learn something new! Hey hey hey!"

WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.
Frakkin' Sy(Fy)lons!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
So now that this has been boxed can we have the old thread back?

I've tried watching old episodes while punching myself repeatedly in the balls, but it's just not the same.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I hope at the very least we can keep this thread, it was nice to have somewhere for people who were still discovering the series to come to.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

rolleyes posted:

I hope at the very least we can keep this thread, it was nice to have somewhere for people who were still discovering the series to come to.

I just need a place to explain to everyone that BSG is actually based on Peter Gabriel's So.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
This is sadder then my dog catching fire and burning down the house today.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grand Fromage posted:

loving poo poo goddamn die in a fire Syfy the gently caress is wrong with everybody at that channel. Why would we want to put science fiction on the science fiction channel that's just retarded, buy more wrestling! Wrestling!

:suicide:

Keep in mind, these are the people who decided that Sci-Fi was for "nerds in their parents basements" so they changed their name to the, far less geeky, SyFy (which I will forever pronounce siffy)

Mister Kingdom posted:

Now Syfy will have more money to make movies about mutant sea creatures.

Hoo-loving-ray.

10 year old wrestling clips don't grown on trees you know.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
"I'll tell you a secret to avoid hangovers: don't stop drinking."

-Saul Tigh

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mahoning posted:

"I'll tell you a secret to avoid hangovers: don't stop drinking."

-Saul Tigh

I've been rewatching the show over the past couple weeks and Tigh definitely has the best lines in the show.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've been rewatching the show over the past couple weeks and Tigh definitely has the best lines in the show.

yeah

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

drunkill posted:

Welp.

Someone call AMC/HBO!
Didn't AMC buy a bunch of SyFy's IPs after their name change?
I know they got Farscape.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Trailer looked awesome so at the very least we can look forward to watching the pilot.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The difference between Batman, Terminator, Aliens and those other shows is that they left interesting avenues to explore, and not just in prologue stuff.

Only way I could think Blood and Chrome might have been good if it completely abandons the hint hint wink wink nod future poo poo and presents it as a completely self-contained story. Having some random punk play young Adama isn't going to accomplish that. Do new characters and make us care about them and their particular stories, then we can ignore their connections to BSG because said connections really won't exist.

Because BSG didn't leave things open. It closed it definitely and finally and left me personally with a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care about young Adama because BSG ended with Bill Adama and only things that happened after that involved lot of loincloths, caveman sex and people dying in various terrible pre-historic ways.

So give us a new character story. If there is one thing BSG writers can pull well it's engaging characters and situations.

Even better though, have it nothing to do with BSG and make a new franchise...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That comment about the Cylons being the good guys in the first war makes me wish that we had seen that side of things addressed more in the show. Once they started into "kill all humans" territory they were clearly in the wrong, but the war started with the Cylons wanting their freedom from slavery. Would have been nice to see some indication that there were people in the first war who had issues with it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Senor Tron posted:

That comment about the Cylons being the good guys in the first war makes me wish that we had seen that side of things addressed more in the show. Once they started into "kill all humans" territory they were clearly in the wrong, but the war started with the Cylons wanting their freedom from slavery. Would have been nice to see some indication that there were people in the first war who had issues with it.

The second war isn't even the same Cylons or the same humans. 57 years later means that 99% of humans who were alive in the first war were too young to have any fault or stake in enslaving the Cylons in the first place. In the second war, Cylons were completely wrong. In the first one, they were completely right. Hell, Adama even tells how the humanoid Cylons enslaved the mechanical ones, so they weren't even completely wrong but hypocrites to boot.

Which is why it was so ridicolous how BSG tried to play around about "both sides are the same and need to make up" and how Helo wasn't quartered and drawn after he stopped humans from killing all of them. Seriously, that equivalency poo poo kind of falls flat when the other side can as best be described as an insurgent group who just survived a genocide, resorting into some desperate stuff and the other side is the equivalency of the Nazis having a baby with the Confederacy that is also religiously fundamentalist to boot.

Probably the worst failing in the show. Okay, right after the ending.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys, gently caress WWII movies cuz we know how it ends, AMIRITE?!

Sorry but I just don't see how that argument makes any sense. Good writing is good writing and if they are telling interesting stories, I don't give a poo poo how it ends. "Not about the destination, its about the journey, etc. etc."

Say what you will but "how did they get here" stories can be done very well. Hell, the most interesting part of the TV show Lost was seeing their backstories, how they came to be how they were at the time we first met them in the wreckage on the beach.

It's a solid argument on paper, but fails to take into account all the amazing backstories there are to tell.

Nobody is saying that its going to be done well, but to dismiss it on premise alone is naive and stupid and screams of "I'm a BSG nerd don't ruin it for meeeeeeee".

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I saw "Blood and Chrome" in the title and stopped reading. Then I saw the trailer and got really excited. Then I read the rest of the article.

It seems after Fringe inevitably gets cancelled I really will be without anything to look forward to on TV :(

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Wippersnapper posted:

I saw "Blood and Chrome" in the title and stopped reading. Then I saw the trailer and got really excited. Then I read the rest of the article.

It seems after Fringe inevitably gets cancelled I really will be without anything to look forward to on TV :(

Doctor Who?? Game of Thrones?? Uh, other HBO stuff?

For most of what I watch the best I can say is that at least it held my interest to tune in the next week, and that's not many shows. BSG was pretty good, but goddamn was it tough to get through that religious arc, I think it was the 2nd season, and other lulls in the show.

It could hit some high highs, and some low lows, but throughout it I enjoyed the plot enough to keep watching. I don't care if Blood and Chrome isn't as good as BSG, as long as it isnt bad, I'd keep watching it because I enjoy scifi shows and there are few (Doctor Who and Fringe?)on. I read people's posts and I get the feeling lots of people don't want it if it isn't as good as what came before, but I think that's a bit unrealistic. Quality in writing can go up and down, getting the right actors can be difficult(and BSG got pretty lucky on that part).

Maybe I'm just too casual a viewer. I think, hey, it's just a television show. Something to pass the time and/or entertain for awhile. I don't get pissed at Game of Thrones for cutting out a character/plotline/battle scene because I understand they have a budget of time and money; I didn't hate voyager because it wasnt TNG; and I can enjoy a comic book movie (except Green Lantern. blegh.)even when I hear about the source material from a friend and it sounds like a dragonball anime. Always being too critical can just suck all the enjoyment out of a piece of entertainment, ignoring what it does right and just focusing on what it does or can do wrong.

I'd want to see the show get made and have a chance, maybe grow into something really good with some time and effort. It's be better than waiting years and years for another star trek show to get made, and that was a mixed bag last time.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Maybe I'm really weird but I didn't think even the original remake BSG series was that good, so I don't get thew ailing and gnashing of teeth over this. I mean the remake of BSG was inconsistent at best. The miniseries was consistently good but every actual season of the show went up and down and it had Lost/X-Files syndrome really bad with the myth-arc.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've seen this reposted a lot outside of the BSG fandom and it seems weird that people care that much. Especially after Caprica was so mixed and that supernatural police procedural pilot was so terrible. I mean, I'm sorry, but I don't really see how this show could've been good. Especially since it was on SyFy.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

It was a loving miracle BSG was allowed to tell a complete story, especially considering the poo poo network it was on. Caprica showed that.

To be fair Caprica showed that by being a terribly lovely show that begged to be canceled.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Caprica really did get good. :(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DemonNick posted:

The miniseries was consistently good

All two episodes of it!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The miniseries was actually kind of boring compared to the rest of the show.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

IRQ posted:

Caprica really did get good. :(

Just in time for cancellation. :( I love that every single press release Siffy makes for B&C contains some form of "we love this show!!! REALLY!!! We plan on giving it every chance!!" Yeah, every chance you can to cancel it. Bleh, gently caress those guys.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Mahoning posted:

Hell, the most interesting part of the TV show Lost was seeing their backstories, how they came to be how they were at the time we first met them in the wreckage on the beach.
No it wasn't. Although the rest of your argument is valid and true. It's not like everyone avoided Titanic when it came out in cinemas.

Also, maybe I'm really weird, but I find it odd that someone would take the time to post in a thread about a show they didn't think was "that good" 8 years (wait, what, it's only been 3!? :cry: ) after it's finished. I know I haven't got the patience to locate a Studio 60 thread and tell them that their show stunk.

And here's some reminders of the show's greatness, RIGHT HERE:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

incredible bear posted:

So say we all!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SyFy is actually retarded and it's bleeding over to Space here in Canada. Can someone explain this please? I think it's called "network decay" but I don't get why a Cable channel would even care about that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Frosted Flake posted:

SyFy is actually retarded and it's bleeding over to Space here in Canada. Can someone explain this please? I think it's called "network decay" but I don't get why a Cable channel would even care about that.

All niche channels go through this. The problem? Money, or the lack of. Remember when TLC was The Learning Channel and you could actually learn something from it? And the Arts & Entertainment channel had art? All gone now. Sci-Fi is no different. It's all about profits with no substance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The camera will zoom in on the cock but this time the cock will be CGI instead of practical effect.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Frosted Flake posted:

A new exec comes on board the network, and decides that they are going to revitalize the brand and double subscribers and the only way to do that is to attract new viewers who have no interest in what you are currently showing. Our revenge as TV viewers has been that we have long ago stopped caring what channel shows are on, everything is DVR'd just by show name.

It's pretty suprising things haven't blown up yet, since the fundamental way TV works is pretty much broken now - content is "free" and supported by advertisers who target 18-35 year olds, but that market watches much fewer ads due to DVRs.

Back to BSG, has anyone ever read the 4 series Lords of Kobol (free) e-books? Its online at
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78823

I downloaded them onto my kindle but haven't had a chance to read more than a few pages of the first book, looks interesting and it must have taken some dedication to release 4 free novels but wondering if they are any good or weird fanfic? I think all the books take place during the Kobol era, which I guess is thousands of years before BSG.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

spronk posted:

Back to BSG, has anyone ever read the 4 series Lords of Kobol (free) e-books? Its online at
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78823

I downloaded them onto my kindle but haven't had a chance to read more than a few pages of the first book, looks interesting and it must have taken some dedication to release 4 free novels but wondering if they are any good or weird fanfic? I think all the books take place during the Kobol era, which I guess is thousands of years before BSG.

This is definitely fanfic. I know they released a few official tie-in novels, but that was back when BSG was in its first season. They definitely wouldn't do tie-ins years after the show's end, and looking the guy up it doesn't seem like he's written anything else beyond a few more self-published stuff.

That said if you still read them and say they're good I might check them out...why not? I subjected myself to the terrible BSG tie-in comics, this can't be worse.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
There was a comic series called "The Final Five" that dealt with Kobol and Earth and it was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?

Mister Kingdom posted:

All niche channels go through this. The problem? Money, or the lack of. Remember when TLC was The Learning Channel and you could actually learn something from it? And the Arts & Entertainment channel had art? All gone now. Sci-Fi is no different. It's all about profits with no substance.

TLC, History Channel, Tech TV before the fall. All of this has happened before. But the question remains, does all of this have to happen again?

• Locked thread