Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Zog
Apr 9, 2009
No matter how horrible the ending is, it still gave us one of the best lines of the entire series:
"You know, I know about farming.". :smith:

By the way, did Gaius Baltar's church of crazies arch ever go somewhere? It's been a long time since I watched the series, but I remember it suddenly being ignored as the ending happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For people who don't like the ending, would it have worked better had it not been our past? I mean, one problem people seem to have is that we know what happened afterwards. Ignoring that, would giving up technology without knowing what will happen in the future make it play better? Pretend it's some other Eden world they found.

To me, thematically giving everything up makes perfect sense in either scenario. It seems the past thing really clouds people's opinions. Because if it's not Earth, you have the colonists going their own way to start from scratch, hunting, gathering and farming in the case of Gaius. Without it being Earth, you're left to imagine what happens. And I don't think the immediate thought is "They all die!" like with it being Earth.

Frankly the whole mess could have been fixed had they all settled on an island in the Mediterranean named after Atlas. You give a hint they remained tech savy and succesful in some way until the island mysteriously disappeared.

What I mean is, I want a series with Greek mechanical Cylons rebelling against their masters, resulting in the destruction of Atlantis. :colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole everyone going off to die along aspect was really depressing, given how one of the compelling aspects of the show was watching both the functional and dysfunctional relationships developing over time.

And many characters not being able to make it to the end.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I loved the ending. BSG was always a show about characters, and I felt the characters' stories all come to a place of completion. I have the same opinion about the series finale of Lost.

Also, why are we using spoiler tags about a show that ended three years ago?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Sub Rosa posted:

I loved the ending. BSG was always a show about characters, and I felt the characters' stories all come to a place of completion. I have the same opinion about the series finale of Lost.

Also, why are we using spoiler tags about a show that ended three years ago?

Because one guy said he was watching it for the first time and we are nice people. :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

John Dough posted:

I like the ending and you people are all crazy :colbert: Admittedly, it could have been handled a bit better, but well, writer's strike.

The thing is, the ending they had planned before the writers' strike was much better than the ending they came up with during the strike, and also would have headed off most of the objections people have to the ending we got.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Teek posted:

For people who don't like the ending, would it have worked better had it not been our past? I mean, one problem people seem to have is that we know what happened afterwards. Ignoring that, would giving up technology without knowing what will happen in the future make it play better? Pretend it's some other Eden world they found.

To me, thematically giving everything up makes perfect sense in either scenario. It seems the past thing really clouds people's opinions. Because if it's not Earth, you have the colonists going their own way to start from scratch, hunting, gathering and farming in the case of Gaius. Without it being Earth, you're left to imagine what happens. And I don't think the immediate thought is "They all die!" like with it being Earth.

Frankly the whole mess could have been fixed had they all settled on an island in the Mediterranean named after Atlas. You give a hint they remained tech savy and succesful in some way until the island mysteriously disappeared.

What I mean is, I want a series with Greek mechanical Cylons rebelling against their masters, resulting in the destruction of Atlantis. :colbert:

See, the thing to me is that thematically giving things up didn't make much sense. The whole series to me was about the Cylons and humans learning to co-exist and understand the responsibilities they have in regards of eachother, technology, etc. Hera to me seemed to be beginning of their co-existence, proof that it can work, not the Alpha and Omega of it. The shape of things to come not THE thing. To me it seemed that the culmination would be that the remaining Cylons and humans build a society and a civilization together, whether in space or in a planet.

And the series WAS heading towards it. Another Cylon/human pairing. Cylon pilots in the fleet. Adama transfers his command in the basestar. Cylons earn a seat in the government. They rescue Hera, proof and beginning of their common future together.

Instead what we get?

- People separate into different tribes of few dozen people. I assume that everyone went off in their own familiar communities since the Galactica crew ended up together. So that means no Cylon/Human pairs other then Baltar/Caprica Six and Athena/Helo.

- Hera is the only Cylon human child. She dies young after crapping out some babies (baby?) in one part of Earth. If Hera was half-cylon-half-human, in a thousand generations Ugg, a random Neanderthal living in what will become Bulgaria will have more impact on the future of humanity then she did. And besides...

- Cavemen are by far the most populous group on the planet and it is THEIR experiences and culture that defines humanity, not the Colonials or Cylons. We know they didn't give us language. We know they didn't give us anything else except traces of a really awesome song.

That's it. That's where all the four seasons ended up. They were wiped out and nothing came out of their massive epic story through the stars.

And only people - only people who know the story are two sadistic demigods making jokes about their psychopathic omnipotent creator who probably doesn't even pay any attention to its experiment anymore.

It's the equivalent of a really loving awesome musical performance with a bitching guitar solo. But at the end the song starts dying out in a weird way and the artist makes strange noises and faces and then the song ends abruptly and he takes a big steaming dump on his guitar and uses it to fling the turd in your face.

The ending wasn't cheap and lovely just because it gave the characters unrealistic decisions that made no sense based on previous events, but it also seemed to gently caress over the theme as well. To me Battlestar Galactica was never about TECHNOLOGY BAAADD or at least it wasn't the main point it was trying to make.

The music and visuals of course rocked, as well as actor performances. Which I guess explains how it's still liked by some. But imagine reading that poo poo on a storyboard or a book.

So, I maintain that the real heroes of the series were the Cylon Centurions, who took to the stars to build something greater, not wipe out all of their culture and potential in the fear that it might lead into something terrible. The Humans and Humanoid Cylons are fundamentalist purists afraid of the sin, so bad that they remove every achievement humanity has ever made just try to prevent it. The Centurions are the sin itself and nonetheless try to make the best of it.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 11, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thwomp posted:

No it's not. Just look how quickly people decided to stay on New Caprica. Now that was a shithole planet and even with their technology, life was still hard. But the colonials wanted to settle somewhere because living in a ship sucked rear end.

Now they're presented with a perfect planet, a Galactica that's pretty completely broken, and the main Cylon threat gone. However, everything that drove them to this place was due in part to their failure with technology. So Lee's idea of laying down all their arms, technology, and worries to start a new existence by making a return to nature is a pretty powerful one.

I imagine the couple hundred people who likely won't live out the year without modern medicine would be slightly averse to going back to the days of eating spiders and trying to spear mammoths with sharpened sticks. Call it a hunch.

Nothing about that ending makes any sense. Nothing at all.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

etalian posted:

The whole everyone going off to die along aspect was really depressing, given how one of the compelling aspects of the show was watching both the functional and dysfunctional relationships developing over time.

I agree with all the anti-ending sentiments in this thread but this one the most.

I was able to stomach the dump all the tech scrap all the ships stuff, even if I felt it didn't make much sense, but when I heard "scatter everyone across the globe" it felt like a big slap in the face.
I mean, not everything has to be a happy ending and sometimes frustrating your expectations and hopes for the characters is the right call artistically, but it was the fact that this was being presented as a good thing which felt really unsatisfying.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

incredible bear posted:

The last ten episodes of BSG are amazing. Every episode is amazing. I love BSG. It's my favourite show. Everything is great. Every drat minute. I hate you all.

Me too, buddy, me too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dude, you missed the point. The whole series was about Hera and getting both societies, Human and Cylon, to the point where a child like her could be accepted and thrive. Because what happens on Earth? She's the progenitor of future humanity. She is the shape of things to come.

Also, I thought the remaining Cylons mixed with the Colonials so further Cylon/Human hybrids were possible, just not Mitochondrial Eve.

And I don't know what you're talking about with Cavemen. Lee's pep-talk explicitly implies the Colonials help provide language, agriculture, and learning. While it's not heavy farming equipment, it is the basics for a new civilization. And the indigenous population was essentially there to provide extra genetic diversity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Dude, you missed the point. The whole series was about Hera and getting both societies, Human and Cylon, to the point where a child like her could be accepted and thrive.

She doesn't really 'thrive', though, because it's explicitly stated she dies as a young woman.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Thwomp posted:

Dude, you missed the point. The whole series was about Hera and getting both societies, Human and Cylon, to the point where a child like her could be accepted and thrive. Because what happens on Earth? She's the progenitor of future humanity. She is the shape of things to come.

She is one of the many, many progenitors of future humanity, not really that significant in the larger scheme of things, Mitochondrial Eve doesn't mean what I think you think it means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve#Not_the_only_woman

Only a small, tiny, atom-sized part of our common ancestry comes from her. I like to think that it's the lyrics to All Along the Watchtower, but that's pretty much it. Not much of a shape of things to come.

And call me strange but I assumed that a Cylon/Human hybrid would precede a Cylon/Human society. Not a Cylon/Human/Shitload of "I guess we can gently caress them too so let's call them humans" society.

quote:

Also, I thought the remaining Cylons mixed with the Colonials so further Cylon/Human hybrids were possible, just not Mitochondrial Eve.

Why would they? They still had at best an uneasy relationship with the Cylons. Why would they have one or two of them hitch along?

quote:

And I don't know what you're talking about with Cavemen. Lee's pep-talk explicitly implies the Colonials help provide language, agriculture, and learning. While it's not heavy farming equipment, it is the basics for a new civilization. And the indigenous population was essentially there to provide extra genetic diversity.

Nope.

It's our world. First civilizations would emerge over a hundred thousand years later. First anywhere close to a sophisticated language around 50,000 years later. First written records alongside the first civilizations. Which means that they either created a civilization and something horrible happened to it and they were wiped out, or they were wiped out without ever managing to do anything. Either way not much of a happy ending.

And also, they are incapable of agriculture since they don't have enough population for that. Casting aside the fact that the ancestors of any cultivable plants they would possibly have familiarity with don't even exist yet with the possible exception of some distant relative of yam.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

She is one of the many, many progenitors of future humanity, not really that significant in the larger scheme of things, Mitochondrial Eve doesn't mean what I think you think it means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve#Not_the_only_woman

Only a small, tiny, atom-sized part of our common ancestry comes from her. I like to think that it's the lyrics to All Along the Watchtower, but that's pretty much it. Not much of a shape of things to come.

And call me strange but I assumed that a Cylon/Human hybrid would precede a Cylon/Human society. Not a Cylon/Human/Shitload of "I guess we can gently caress them too so let's call them humans" society.

I know what that term means. The fact that all of us have some part Cylon in us represents a possible break of the cycle. That's the point.

quote:

Why would they? They still had at best an uneasy relationship with the Cylons. Why would they have one or two of them hitch along?

Because they just helped destroy the "bad" Cylons and were flying with the Colonials for a while even before Daybreak. They proved themselves which is why they weren't banished along with the Centurions.

quote:

It's our world. First civilizations would emerge over a hundred thousand years later. First anywhere close to a sophisticated language around 50,000 years later. First written records alongside the first civilizations. Which means that they either created a civilization and something horrible happened to it and they were wiped out, or they were wiped out without ever managing to do anything. Either way not much of a happy ending.

And also, they are incapable of agriculture since they don't have enough population for that. Casting aside the fact that the ancestors of any cultivable plants they would possibly have familiarity with don't even exist yet with the possible exception of some distant relative of yam.

I think you're taking the whole idea too literally. The show doesn't explain exactly how we got from Cylon/Human/Hybrids to modern times, it just says here's a dot and here's another dot and they are connected. But it doesn't say exactly how many loops or detours it took to get there. Just that these two points are important and related.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

DarkCrawler posted:

The music and visuals of course rocked, as well as actor performances. Which I guess explains how it's still liked by some. But imagine reading that poo poo on a storyboard or a book.

:ssh: The medium is the message. It's not a storyboard or a book. It's an audio-visual narrative. Thus, it's a waste of effort to worry about what it looks like on paper.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Thwomp posted:

I know what that term means. The fact that all of us have some part Cylon in us represents a possible break of the cycle. That's the point.

It's kind of a lovely half-assed attempt at trying to break it which doesn't exactly make for a grand finale. And from what modern times have been like it's not looking very good. Hell, the head angels don't seem to hold it in a very high regard if we talk about the show too.

Thwomp posted:

Because they just helped destroy the "bad" Cylons and were flying with the Colonials for a while even before Daybreak. They proved themselves which is why they weren't banished along with the Centurions.

Doesn't mean they wanted to spend the rest of their (short) lives with them. And the Centurions weren't banished, they were given the basestar so they could make their own destiny.

Thwomp posted:

I think you're taking the whole idea too literally. The show doesn't explain exactly how we got from Cylon/Human/Hybrids to modern times, it just says here's a dot and here's another dot and they are connected. But it doesn't say exactly how many loops or detours it took to get there. Just that these two points are important and related.

But we know the beginning and the end and the setting (Earth, and ours). From those three things we can pretty safely infer that their experiment didn't end very well.

And I don't think I am being too literal in either case. There was definite religious and symbolic aspects of Battlestar Galactica. I don't deny that. Hell, there are angels and a God and the whole poo poo was carried on by prophecies and magic and so on. But underneath it all was a hard and ever-present realism - realism in politics, realism in human nature, realism in survival. I'm not going to toss it all in the trash for the last 30 minutes.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

:ssh: The medium is the message. It's not a storyboard or a book. It's an audio-visual narrative. Thus, it's a waste of effort to worry about what it looks like on paper.

Well that doesn't excuse a lovely plot. Writing factors in too.

CrazedEwok
Sep 14, 2011

Aaa, my face
How would you have liked it to end, then? I had figured from the beginning that they were in the past, and I liked it that way. How else could it have ended in order to preserve that connection to us? If they had kept all their technology on our present Earth, why did it take us 150,000 years to get anything close to it? It's not the best ending, no, but it was emotionally satisfying to me and fit within the context, the temporal restrictions, and theme.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CrazedEwok posted:

How would you have liked it to end, then? I had figured from the beginning that they were in the past, and I liked it that way. How else could it have ended in order to preserve that connection to us? If they had kept all their technology on our present Earth, why did it take us 150,000 years to get anything close to it? It's not the best ending, no, but it was emotionally satisfying to me and fit within the context, the temporal restrictions, and theme.

I had no thoughts about them being in past or no wishes for them to be there regardless. I thought the season 3 Earth reveal was million times more powerful then what we got in the finale. I would have been just fine if that was it for Earth and the show took a different direction. The Fleet's situation was not hopeless, they had already encountered at least three or more habitable planets on the way. Something like Adama transferring his command on the basestar, with an Cylon XO and half-human half Cylon crew would have been a nice end scene for me.

But if they absolutely have to be on Earth, make it somewhere where they don't have to become functionally suicidal to get rid of the technology problem. If they absolutely have to be in the past, make it so that they have some actual impact on the development of the planet and that the decision to abandon technology might actually make sense.

For example have them arrive on Earth, 500 AD or similar take or leave a thousand years, really doesn't matter. They see a society which is embarking on the cusp of technological development but already has modern concepts such as record-keeping, medicine, plumbing, etc and there is a basis for them to build on instead of having to start from scratch.

They see a chance for them to guide this young civilization(s) and it's development in a way that allows them to avoid the same mistakes. They don't want to become some sort of an overlord class and know that if they have the ships and technology and are the only ones with the skill to use them, that sort of a situation can't be avoided. They don't want to give nukes and guns to civilizations that still think that wiping out entire civilizations is a perfectly good way to conduct war, blah blah.

So they send the ship to the Sun, drop down to a secluded spot and start intermingling with the natives. Rome, China, Africa, etc. Over the years they and their descendants attempt guide the course of technology. Major problems on the way of course and the inventions being used for bad things but the efforts persist.

Show the same head-angel conversation at the end but this time they read a technology magazine or something with some sort of article about the dangers of artificial intelligence. Show shots of the Terminator or Blade Runner, I, Robot on a bookshelf, etc. Have them smugly comment about how the humans/Cylons have been able to keep the fear of robots in human memory and so on. Something more to spice it up.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 11, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Okay, it's been three years, can we drop the black bars please?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

IRQ posted:

I imagine the couple hundred people who likely won't live out the year without modern medicine

Lots of people today live their entire lives without modern medicine. Which the colonials didn't really have left anyway. So that's a pretty weak argument. I agree that it's pretty insane to think every colonial lived happily ever after, but that wasn't the point. It's that they survived as a species.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CrazedEwok posted:

How would you have liked it to end, then?

I know I sound like a broken record, but the original pre-writers-strike ending really was superior on every level, IMO. It's what makes the ending we got so frustrating for me. They had an excellent ending already, and had to go tinker with it.

LooseChanj posted:

I agree that it's pretty insane to think every colonial lived happily ever after, but that wasn't the point. It's that they survived as a species.

They don't, though. They survive as colonials mixed with Cylons mixed with alien cavemen (as pointed out by the Hera bit at the very end). And it's not like their society or culture survived at all, either. Nothing of the colonials remain.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I certainly would have prefered the Von Dannekin ending that the origonal series went for that rather than landing in hunder gather early homo sapian times, they arrive during the pre classical area and join the proto-civilizations that were appearing around the same time. Early Egypt, Greece, Meso-america and so on. That would explain how names like Apollo and Hera entered human culture, an show our civilization was in part a continuation of Colonial civilization.

But while I think things could have been better, I didn't hate the ending, except loving Starbuck. Oh look she just vanishes, with nothing else. Bam, gone! deleted like that porn clip you accidentally saved to desktop that you don't want your girlfriend to see. They couldn't do something cheesy like the power of Lee's love made her real, or show her ascending to heaven as an angel or something rather than poof, gone. gently caress that pisses me off to no end to this day

I was perfectly happy with the finale of Lost, no big complaints from me, but god drat that one thing in the BSG finale.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Chairman Capone posted:

They survive as colonials mixed with Cylons mixed with alien cavemen

Fine, they survive as a genus then. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Well I'm almost done with Season 2, just have the two season finale episodes left. The past few episodes have been a little lackluster but episode 18 was loving amazing. I loved seeing Baltar on the other side of the fence as he talked to #6 on Caprica. All those conversations were fantastic and having Anders back was a plus. Pegasus is still my favorite episode of the season but drat was the latest episode great too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

Well I'm almost done with Season 2, just have the two season finale episodes left. The past few episodes have been a little lackluster but episode 18 was loving amazing. I loved seeing Baltar on the other side of the fence as he talked to #6 on Caprica. All those conversations were fantastic and having Anders back was a plus. Pegasus is still my favorite episode of the season but drat was the latest episode great too.

The best half dozen episodes of the show are in front of you, enjoy them!

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
It's not so much that I think that the ultimate ending is terrific or satisfying, but found the finale to deliver enough amazing moments that I can overlook the "balloon slowly deflated" feeling the very ending delivered. The story may have not wrapped up very well but at least it didn't just get cut off mid-arc, I found it an entertaining send off for the show.

I had to laugh a few pages back when someone mentioned their total lack of interest in Boomer. Man I never gave a poo poo about Boomer, every other character, except maybe the priest lady that hung out with the President, I learned to enjoy seeing. Never Boomer.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

LooseChanj posted:

Lots of people today live their entire lives without modern medicine. Which the colonials didn't really have left anyway.

Uhh, in the last episode when the massive battle was going on they had a full on medical stations with triage and all that stuff. Beforehand there were several episodes where they show the hospital, complete with pre-childbirth stuff and a brain surgeon coming to fix Sam, so yeah, one can safely assume that they had modern medicine and medical equipment left.

Plus you know, they could have made more modern medicine had they not thrown their means to make them into the Sun.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
But if they DIDN'T throw everything into the sun, how would we have EVER had Goodbye Sam/The Heart Of The Sun!? I swear you guys don't even think about this poo poo.

CrazedEwok
Sep 14, 2011

Aaa, my face

Chairman Capone posted:

I know I sound like a broken record, but the original pre-writers-strike ending really was superior on every level, IMO. It's what makes the ending we got so frustrating for me. They had an excellent ending already, and had to go tinker with it.

Unless you posted it already, what was the original ending? I look stuff up on the BSG Wiki pretty often but I've never heard what exactly that ending was supposed to be... is it in an RDM interview or something?

Chairman Capone posted:

They don't, though. They survive as colonials mixed with Cylons mixed with alien cavemen (as pointed out by the Hera bit at the very end). And it's not like their society or culture survived at all, either. Nothing of the colonials remain.

Well, it was no secret that the human race--as in, the Colonial human race--was doomed, as numerous Leobens and Hybrids have pointed out. It died while uplifting the New Earth humans, and I would argue that Colonial ideas were embedded in the collective subconscious since then. It's not as direct a link between things as Kobol was to the Colonies, but even the Colonies forgot a lot about Kobol and mythologized it.

After reading stuff here, though, I do agree that maybe they should have arrived closer to the start of recorded history. There was really no reason to place it 150,000 years ago...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LooseChanj posted:

Lots of people today live their entire lives without modern medicine. Which the colonials didn't really have left anyway. So that's a pretty weak argument. I agree that it's pretty insane to think every colonial lived happily ever after, but that wasn't the point. It's that they survived as a species.

They had a ship for manufacturing every other drat thing, why do you think there wasn't an insulin ship?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
While they were on New Caprica they were running low on antibiotics and the military was hoarding them all, it's pretty reasonable to assume that they don't have the materials or ability to fabricate drugs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CrazedEwok posted:

Unless you posted it already, what was the original ending? I look stuff up on the BSG Wiki pretty often but I've never heard what exactly that ending was supposed to be... is it in an RDM interview or something?

It was from an RDM interview after the series ended, as I recall. From memory:

-When Ellen returns, it's because she's working with Cavill, and she is the one who kidnaps Hera and takes her to the colony.
-The mutiny is successful on every ship but Galactica. In order to escape the Galactica, Zarek and Gaeta jump the civilian ships away, where they get destroyed by Cavill's Cylon forces.
-As they're now the only human ship left, and no longer have the numbers of means to support the human race, Adama settles on the Hera rescue as a suicide mission/last hurrah for the humans
-Stuff on the colony, the failed peace, etc. go about largely like they do in the actual finale
-When Galactica jumps away from the colony, it's so damaged that it's unable to control itself, and it crashes onto the Earth because they have no choice
-The series would end not with the Mitochondrial Eve National Geographic revelation, but with modern-day archaeologists discovering the Galactica beneath a Mayan pyramid mound

I really like this, not only because it ties in with the ancient alien focus of the original series, but because it allows the same ending as we got but with a lot of the issues people always bring up solved. The destruction of the fleet and the crashing of the Galactica would eliminate any need for the colonials to willingly give up all their technology while still have them able to make some speeches about how this would be a fresh start and give space in the cycle or whatever, and them no longer having enough population to support the human race would also help explain why they decided to start loving cavemen. Also I think by making it that much bleaker it would make the ending on the new lush world that much more emotionally powerful.

CrazedEwok posted:

After reading stuff here, though, I do agree that maybe they should have arrived closer to the start of recorded history. There was really no reason to place it 150,000 years ago...

Up until the finale, I was still really hoping they would be the basis for the Atlantis myth. It seemed to work so perfectly: it would explain the psuedo-Greek religion they had, and the destruction of Atlantis could be explained as another turn in the cycle.

Even when it first showed them landing in Africa, I was semi-convinced they were going to be shown as the creators of Great Zimbabwe (which is another target of the Von Daniken ancient astronaut mythology crowd).

Ultimately though, I still believe the ending we got was inspired by Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :colbert:

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Remember how everything built up to the final five cylons and in the end who and what they were weren't important at all

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

And it's not like their society or culture survived at all, either. Nothing of the colonials remain.

Pssh...not unless you count Greco-Roman religion, ties, and Hendrix!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Don't mean to break up :argh:Ending Chat:argh:, but I'm about to hit "Woman King" in my rewatch and I can't remember if anything good happens in it. I'd prefer to skip it if there's nothing worth watching in it but all I remember is it's boring and that guy from x-men is in it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Well I just started Season 3 and what the hell is happening?! People married, have children, galactica gone to poo poo, Apollo being a pussy, baltar being president, holy gently caress. There's so much going on and it's hard to keep up with the sudden lightning-fast pace. Also, gently caress baltar.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

Don't mean to break up :argh:Ending Chat:argh:, but I'm about to hit "Woman King" in my rewatch and I can't remember if anything good happens in it. I'd prefer to skip it if there's nothing worth watching in it but all I remember is it's boring and that guy from x-men is in it.

As far as I can tell it's the only episode in the entire run that has no tangible effect on the rest of the show.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Woman King was just a mediocre episode with a weak racism angle out of nowhere, mostly because they wanted a "Helo is the good guy but everyone hates him anyway" episode. The one single episode I've always hated is Hero. Bulldog's back story has him breaking the armistice, he does something with a Raider that Starbuck already did long ago to much better effect, he's never seen nor mentioned outside of that episode, and it alters a bunch of continuity by loving with Adama's back story just so this out of nowhere character could have history with him on another ship.

They always presented the series as though Adama had been through all kinds of proud history with the Galactica and its crew, but it turns out he was on it for like a week, then assigned to a bunch of other ships, then recently got put back on it as a means of shoving him off gracefully. I just pretend nothing in that episode ever really happened.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Chairman Capone posted:

Nothing of the colonials remain.

Now I may be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure the African guys they saw when they landed had clothing and spears. Which means it's probably within the last 200,000 years or so. So I think it's safe to say that they landed at like 10,000-5000 BCE. Which makes sense, considering all of their gods are the Greek gods. Meaning they likely transmitted their religion to the ancient Greeks. Which, as someone who studies archaeology, I know can't be true because Greek is an Indo-European (Indo-Iranian, Latin, Greek, Germanic, Russian, etc.) language, which trace their roots to a single culture predating all of them. I believe the prevailing theory is that this culture existed in the Ukraine. What little we know of the Proto-Indo-Eurpeans includes their sky god, Dyeus (Duh-Yoos). Easy to see where the bastardization of that word became Zeus in Greek, Dyaus Pita in Hindu and Diespiter (later Jupiter or Iuppiter) in Latin, among others. It's super interesting because the different myths all have common themes, even across language boundaries. It's why numbers like 3, 7 and 12 are so prevalent in mythology.

I talked about that more than I probably should have. Uh, BSG is awesome and season 4 was great. Loved the ending.

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Friendly Factory posted:

So I think it's safe to say that they landed at like 10,000-5000 BCE.

Except for the text immediately prior to the New York scene in the finale, which says "150,000 years later".

• Locked thread