Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sanguinia posted:

Would we really have wanted Terminator 2, Aliens, Predator 2, Wrath of Khan or any of a dozen other classic films to have never been made because the original "said all that needed to be said"?

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I recently got the Alien (singular) blu-ray having not seen the film for at least a decade and watched it with a friend who hasn't seen any of the Alien films. Considering I wasn't born when it was released and it's now 33 years old it puts some modern CGI-fests to shame, especially as it's paced so well. Sure there are parts which look a little ropey but 33 years ago it must have been mindblowing and the effects beat the poo poo out of some other films from the same era like the first Terminator. Much of the model shots hold up really well too, particularly the landing, investigation and takeoff on the planet. For what it's worth my friend took some convincing that it was really 33 years old.

Where am I going with this? Well Alien was an excellent film, but if you look at review sites you'll often see Aliens rated higher and it departs from Alien quite significantly by being much more action-focussed. My point is that, although it's rare, sometimes you can improve on an original and stories don't have to be put in a glass case and never brought out again.

Having said that I completely understand the scepticism where SyFy involvement is concerned, and later Alien films rather undermine my point by making a complete hash of it. Meh. Either way, my next blu-ray purchase will be Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah as I alluded to above the Alien franchise ended up going way too far and AvP was certainly part of that. I'm just agreeing with Sanguinia that continuing an existing story is not always a bad thing.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I hope at the very least we can keep this thread, it was nice to have somewhere for people who were still discovering the series to come to.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I'm holding judgement on Promethius until I see reviews. I know it's not even really tied to the Alien storyline but the mess of most modern attempts to exploit the franchise has made me very wary.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

Would this be the right place to talk about the main series? I'm marathoning through it right now and I'm currently about halfway through Season 2, right after Admiral Cain(?) dies.

As no-one else has answered you yet, sure go for it - at least so far as I'm concerned.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

truth masseuse posted:

I saw Razor at least twice. Though I don't remember it being made explicitly, or even implicitly, clear. Just remember getting the feeling maybe she had a thing for Starbuck.

Cain was in a relationship with Gina Inviere, the #6 network engineer, aboard Pegasus. It's not something they played down or anything, Kendra and Gina even talk about it at one point. That's also a large part of the reason why Cain went properly off the deep end; it was made fairly clear that Cain (already known for being very authoritarian) became pretty much psychopathic after realising she'd had a sexual relationship with 'a machine', and that's why it went from "Get that thing off my bridge" to full on rape and torture.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 9, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

truth masseuse posted:

This has motivated me to halt my SG:A marathon to go back and see this. I have no recollection of this event.

They never quite say "hey yeah so about you and Cain gettin' it orrrn" but it's a lot more than just a "nudge nudge wink wink" type thing. Also Gina is at the captain's table with Cain and the other officers prior to the initial attack - watch their body language (also why the gently caress would a network engineer be at the captain's table otherwise).

Another bit of trivia - when Kendra first meets Gina she notes in passing that Inviere is Old Gemenese for either "insurrection" or "resurrection" (can't remember which off the top of my head), presumably to make it clear to anyone who had somehow missed it that hey this is Tricia Helfer so bad poo poo's gonna go down.

Also edited my post above to add a bit more background.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 9, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

So I think it's safe to say that they landed at like 10,000-5000 BCE.

Except for the text immediately prior to the New York scene in the finale, which says "150,000 years later".

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

What are you talking about it cuts to credits after Adama on the hill. :confused:

Oh how I wish it did.

I actually reached the end of my first re-watch last week with a friend who hadn't seen it before. Surprisingly (given the general reaction), he seemed to enjoy the finale on the whole.

Seeing it again also reminded me of one of the little funny moments near the end. Just before "you know, I know about farming" Gaius and Caprica are having their little chat with Head-Gaius and Head-Caprica, and Caprica says something along the lines of "So that's it? That's all God wanted of us?" to which Head-Caprica responds "God's plan is never complete." The look of complete :what: on Gaius' face as he then just says "Great." completely deadpan cracks me up for some reason.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

"No more Mr. Nice Gaius!"

Best quote of the show, with Lee's "Gaius Baltar?!" not far behind.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Crosscontaminant posted:

It started as soon as Cain shot her XO for disobeying orders. Being told in no uncertain terms that you cannot appeal to a superior officer if you find something morally repugnant creates a hush-up culture.

I don't think it was ever implied that things were hushed up. So far as I'm concerned Cain knew full well what was going on.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

It would steal the spotlight from Zarek, clearly the most important human who had ever lived.

More seriously, everyone's pretty traumatised from the whole New Caprica thing. Having a trial would drag all of those memories of pain and suffering back up again in intimate detail and broadcast them in public at a time when everyone would probably be better served by trying to move on. I'm not going to say much more as I don't want to risk spoiling stuff down the line for you.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I've said this before and I still stand by it: Lee's justice speech at the trial was one of the best bits of the show for me. It's one of the show's crowning moments in terms of character drama, and makes some important philosophical points and actually carries it off.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 21, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

incredible bear posted:

Apart from the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I assume you mean the midseason of S4, where you just see a planet.

S3 ends with Starbuck saying she's been to Earth. Then the director whips to showing us Our Earth and EVERY viewer stood on their chair shouting "OH gently caress YES".

The two are not mutually exclusive. They wanted to do a big "ahhhh but what they call Earth isn't what we call Earth" thing in the finale. So far as I'm concerned the final shot of Earth 2 was there purely to complete the fakeout. There's no question that Starbuck saw Earth 1 rather than Earth 2 considering she finds her own drat body on Earth 1.

incredible bear posted:

Cut to S4 E10, and the BSG stumbles along a planet that looks a bit like ours but isn't. We think it's ours, Adama says on the intercom that they have found Earth.
Earth is mythical planet to them. At this point there's nothing tying "Earth" to our Earth other than the name. And Adama's speech there remains true. They found Earth, it's just not what we call Earth (because they named our planet in it's honour, in the end).

incredible bear posted:

Basically:
S4 E10's Earth: Their Earth, the one from the books of Pithia that they've been searching for all this time.
S4 E20's Earth: Our Earth, the one Starbuck lead them too.

Not as such. S4 E10's Earth was indeed their Earth, but Starbuck led them directly to it via the rescue beacon of her crashed Viper which was only being picked up by the copy of her Viper. S4 E20's Earth was our Earth, which Starbuck also 'led' them to but by a much less obvious route (Hera's drawings, the song, assigning numbers to the notes, jump coordinates).

incredible bear posted:

S3 Finale's Earth: Our Earth, perhaps not the one Starbuck meant, but the one that she was eventually guided towards by Bob Dylan/Her Dad. First time I've heard the Starbuck's Dad Is God theory, I like it and will keep in mind for the next watch.
As stated above, I don't think this is the one she saw but one which was more or less just there to complete the fakeout in the finale.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

We really, really don't. History going back more than 1000 years is spotty at best. There are even vast problems with history outside the last 100. It's incredibly difficult to know what's reality in the past when you aren't there to experience it.

I have to agree with DarkCrawler, to a point. We have a historical record which goes waaaaaaaaaay beyond what the colonials seem to have had for certain narrow areas of our world history. Just to set the bar a bit higher, let's go back 3,000 years instead of 2,000.

Siberia 3,000 years ago? Pretty much sweet gently caress all because the culture of the people was nomadic and not prone to writing things down. South America 3,000 years ago? Picking a culture at random, not much better; the Inca weren't prize-winning novelists and as soon as Westerners turned up we wiped most of them out with diseases and warfare. India 3,000 years ago? We have some stuff, but it's all a bit fractured thanks to multiple conflicts and a tendency for the victors to burn the records of the vanquished - however this was the period when Hinduism and at least part of its sacred texts were developed (this just in: Hinduism is an ollllld religion). China 3,000 years ago? Actually, more than you might think as the Chinese have had a culture of documentation almost as long as they've had the tools to document things with. The Roman Empire (or even the Republic) wasn't around 3,000 years ago but the Kingdom of Rome was just getting started. Also, you know... Greece.

Point being our historical record was, until the modern era, highly dependant on the culture documenting it. Jump forward 1,000 years to 0AD and on the one hand historians can tell you the minutiae of Roman senate meetings and who was having an affair with which senator's wife, but would struggle to come up with any detail at all about Native Americans other than recounting artefacts.

However, we're supposed to believe that when the colonials left Kobol their society was more advanced than ours (they had interstellar travel). At our present stage of development we document the poo poo out of everything and everyone past and present and do our best to fill in the historical gaps - are we really to believe that the colonials either didn't do this or didn't take any of it with them?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I still find myself agreeing with DarkCrawler about this although it's not worth getting ridiculously wound up about it whichever view you take. The fact is it's a bit of an inconsistency with the show and, however much you love it (and I love it a lot), it doesn't take away from that to admit it.

More cases in point from our own history:
  • The Roman Empire imploded well over a thousand years ago to the point that, until modern times, it was utterly forgotten about in most of the territory it controlled. Yet we know intricate details of its operations even in some of its most remote territories (such as my country, the UK). Yes, languages change but they change in an evolutionary manner. With enough time and effort they can be decoded except in extremely rare cases where the culture attempting to decode them has literally no link to the culture which originated them (for example, Hieroglyphics - without the Rosetta Stone we wouldn't have stood a chance).
  • The Dead Sea Scrolls. Think of these as a recently discovered Scrolls of Pythia if you like. Discovered in 1946 having been lost for two thousand years (with some of them being nearly 2,500 years old) and yet, poo poo son, turns out they can be read even though a lot of them are fragmented and broken.

I still find it ridiculous to think that, out of all the people who fled Kobol, no-one brought any sort of documentation of their culture with them or if they did it perished. People (especially the religious, professionals and intellectuals) would bring important texts. Two thousand years is not long enough to lose all of that, and saying the culture regressed isn't enough. That's precisely what happened with Rome - it was a huge empire which imposed its culture on everyone it ruled, it collapsed, the culture regressed (in the UK we pretty much went back to hitting each other with rocks for the next 500 years) and then, as people and society advanced up to and past the levels seen during the Empire, the details were rediscovered.

Saying "yes but the Romans wrote an unusual amount down" is silly because when it comes to Kobol we're talking about a culture which was roughly equivalent to where we're at now. What we churn out makes the Roman documentation look like scribbles on the back cover of a notebook.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 7, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I don't think we ever saw much in the way of animal life on Kobol so the state it was portrayed in seems reasonable for 15,000 years based on what we know of theoretical nuclear winter decay. Additionally, looking at Chernobyl, wildlife (both plant and animal) has recovered beyond all expectations at the time in only 26 years.

Obviously there's a big difference between an individual reactor melting down and all out thermonuclear war, but there's also a big difference between 26 years and 15,000.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Razor seems to be another one which divides opinion, but I really liked it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

You guys are way off on Razor. It's really good precisely because it makes Cain the furthest thing from one-dimensionally evil. For one, she blames herself for the death of her sister in the First Cylon War by hesitating to save her; that's why she's so tough. And on top of that, instead of inexplicably unleashing the Torture Monster on that Six, her actions become far more interesting due to their intimate relationship. I think it vastly improves the Pegasus episodes from the second season.

LividLiquid posted:

The dramatic tension of the Pegasus trilogy rests in the fact that our leader is no longer our leader and a psychopath is in charge.

Milky Moor posted:

It's a pretty simple perspective, Fisk even directly states it: "You can't rape a machine."

These posts pretty much reflect my opinion of Razor. I would also argue that Cain's ruthlessness is shown to have been successful to a certain extent, in particular the looting of parts and personnel from the civilian fleet she finds.

What she does to the civilian fleet and what she does to Gina are both abhorrent to us as an audience, but that's the point and defines the questions which are being asked: just how far would you go to survive? What effect would those actions have on you (and those around you)? How would you cope going from a situation like that to one where those actions are no longer necessary*? And, as always with BSG, how do you define humanity and morality and how do you apply that to something which isn't strictly human but is sentient?

*In Cain's case, extremely badly.

I don't think any of that is undercut by showing the full extent of what she did, but I accept people are going to have different opinions about this so I'll leave it at that.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 26, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

I likely would too. But I find it interesting that BG seems to focus on the seedier side of the daily grind. None of the other space dramas I can remember seem to have had the same focus, but maybe they did and my brain has gone to mush.

That's probably because BSG is first and foremost a character drama which happens to be set in space, while the vast majority of other space-based scifi tends to be space drama which happens to involve characters.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sober posted:

Unless the movie happens to be like 75% awesome space battles. What exactly is some strange industrial facility on a cold mountain region supposed to be about (I didn't get through all of Caprica, sorry).

In Razor, Young-Adama finds a Cylon research facility / basestar parked up on an icy moon where they're attempting to create hybrids. So, at a guess, that.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

For what it's worth I'm waiting until it's released as a whole film rather than watching it piecemeal, but I'm happy to ignore the thread for a while if you guys don't want to use spoiler tags.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

So here's a weird thing. I'd left my media centre playing random tracks from my library and it landed on Boxcar Racer - Instrumental. Bear with me here. Just listen to the first 30 seconds and tell me if it sounds... familiar to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrAtTSQdQ2U

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

DrNutt posted:

It's in the FRAKKIN' SHIP!

All this has happened before...

...including the heated argument about whether Bear McCreary 'stole' it or not (please let's not have that argument).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I just knew when I saw new posts it'd be a God discussion :mad:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

My favourite two threads for reactions were exodus part 2 and the mutiny where Kara rescued Lee by shooting the guy right next to him.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Esroc posted:

So I kind of lost interest in this at the end of Season 3, but I've finally chugged through the first few episodes of Season 4 and come to the conclusion that Gaius Baltar is the only consistent character in the entire goddamn show.

He's also one of the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

Sell these please

I would totally buy one of those.

• Locked thread