Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

How can I convince a friend that just started watching to keep watching? She's at the point in season 1 where the 'God' in the show is starting to be apparent, at least as far as Baltar/Head Six are concerned. She's also a pretty diehard atheist, so now she just thinks it's all "stupid." She seemed to be enjoying the show up until now.

If she's ever watched Rome then she should realize that literally every prayer or curse throughout the series is answered. It's a conspiracy of the Gods. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Why is Netflix saying there's "New Episodes" of BSG?

They might have replaced the ones in Instant Watch with extended editions. I know there's a fairly large expansion to the Pegasus episode that has some gigantic changes in the plot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ApexAftermath posted:

AMC is totally idiotic right now though. Their whole network seems to be spiraling out of control and lost at sea. I think B&C has a lot better chance of seeing a score being released.

AMC has shitcanned most of the showrunners for their series, sometimes multiple times. Breaking Bad was in negotiations so toxic that the production company was shopping around the possibility of taking it to another network. Mad Men had the same problem. Walking Dead has had two or three showrunners and so has Hell on Wheels. Rubicon had two.

Ironically, the Killing has had the same horrendous showrunner (Veena Sud) for the entirety of its run.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

John Dough posted:

Guess what region-free blu-ray box set is only 35 pounds on Amazon UK?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Complete-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0027UY8B8

For some reason this says 35 pounds (around $56 USD) in the store but when you go to check out it's actually 29 pounds. Comes up to 32.33 with postage.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

incredible bear posted:

Isn't this the boxset that doesn't actually include all the extras it claims to (in fact, next to know of them)?

Amazon loves to just stick all the different versions of a given box/DVD set on the same page so YMMV on what the set actually contains. It's usually best to check the reviews since most of the time people write in what (if anything) is wrong with the set.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

Yeah I think the technobabble behind it was that longer jumps require increasingly complex calculations and are more error prone/will lead you to jumping into stuff you don't want to jump into.

Right from the series bible:

quote:

"Practically speaking the further one attempts to Jump, the more difficult the calculations and the more variables are introduces into the equations. For example, consider the difficulties inherent in Jumping to a relatively nearby star system "only" five light years away: any information Galactica can gather by looking through a telescope is, by definition, five years old. The star and all the planets surrounding it have been in motion for five years since the light we can see left that system. This means that Galactica must calculate the motion of all the celestial bodies in that system based on information that is five years old. The further away the Jump point, the greater the problem - try to jump 100 light years, and you have a century's worth of calculations to do.
Because of the limitations inherent in colonial technology, their ability to calculate all the variables involved in a Jump are also limited. Their margin of error increases exponentially the further out they go and as a result, there is a theoretical "Red Line" beyond which it is not considered safe to attempt to Jump."

The whole jumping issue isn't really touched upon much except for the evacuation of Anders' group from Caprica and the last season.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm listening to the soundtrack and I can't help but be struck by how the later seasons soundtracks harken back to the early show. 'Farewell Apollo' sounds nearly identical to "Wander My Friends" in parts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I Am A Robot posted:

When I show the pilot to someone who has never seen the series before I mention that the pilot is one of the worst episodes. Not because it's bad but because it gets that much better.

If you're talking about 33, it's probably the best episode of the whole series. If you're talking about the miniseries then yeah, I'd agree with you. The miniseries is a bit uneven.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'd say ending the series on the mid season break is one of the better ending suggestions but you do miss the mutiny arc that way.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm watching through the series again and it's funny catching all the continuity errors/changes from season to season. The cool "That Gun" pistol prop from the first season completely drops off the face of the earth to be replaced by a barely changed Five-Seven.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

Duala's headset at some point in season... when Kat dies. close up of her and the close of the the old man... it switches sides every 10 seconds. drives me to distraction.

The most obvious continuity error I've seen is where Starbuck kills one of the Leoben's on New Caprica and takes the knife off his corpse to cut her steak. The shot of her picking up the knife shows a clean hand, the shot of her slicing her food shows a hand literally dripping with blood.

The earlier seasons are sort of funny for picking up who will be more important later in the series. Seelix grows to be one of the better tertiary characters yet she and Tarn didn't even have a name until Aaron Douglas just kept calling them that take after take after take until it stuck.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 12, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

Aaron Douglas' wife died sometime in S1 or S2, so the rapid weight gain and grizzled look were probably part of his long spiral through depression.

She died during the production of Season 1 in 2004 on the date of the third episode broadcast (Bastille Day)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

A lot of the episodes in the latter half of season 4 are just uneven as hell and I'm not sure if I should blame the WGA strike or the fact that the writers had no loving clue what they were doing with the story.

The latter is definitely part of it. Once they started getting into explaining the Five backstory it was just two episodes of infodump (Anders in hospital/Ellen on Baseship) so you could hurry your butt to the ending.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The problem sorta is that you very, very rarely see any real characterization outside of the BSG crew or Roslin's group (to a lesser extent Cylons and Co). There might be interesting stories within the fleet that don't involve the privileged group of Viper jocks but outside of the Woman King (ha!) and the Anders group on Caprica you never see it. Defiance said it best a week ago: You're stuck in a universe of Han Solos, and you have no idea what's going on with everybody else other than the very basic stuff (Cylon hating people kill Billy, Black Market involves a big supply of sex and a limited supply of everything else fleetwide, the whole killing Saggitarions arc from the Woman King).

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Plan has the strike on the colonies in actual detail though, which is rad. MIRV nukes going off every which way.

• Locked thread