Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
This series always shows me something new, and I'm on my...fourth watch through now. I'd never really picked up on the nuance in Lambkin's character - The story he tells to Caprica Six in The Son also Rises isn't entirely fake, it reflects how he felt after he lost his wife during the attacks on the colonies as revealed in season four. Never picked up on that connection before.

That, and Admiral Adama talking to Kat on her deathbed at the end of The Passage. I'd forgotten that he tells her that him and his wife had always wanted a daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

monkeyharness posted:

I'm still hoping this somehow gets picked up. Amazing show.

I was in Seattle last year for a climbing trip, and only had one extra day in the city, but I went to the EMP museum, which was running the Battlestar Galactica exhibit. They had a couple of full sized prop ships in there, some cylons, lots of clothing and equipment props (Starbuck's flight suit from the new series, an old and new style pilot helmet, Six's red dress, etc).

As a kid who grew up watching the old series (and who's awesome parents even made my older brother get in a decorated refrigerator box with lights and dials to play a computer for a Battlestar-themed birthday), it was really cool to see some of that stuff in person.

I'll have to try and find some of the photos I took and post them up.

Saw that same exhibit. Absolutely loved it, but the no flash photography thing was tough. It was not very well lit, which made for a good experience but I have to seriously strain myself to see the pictures.

This show never stops being relevant. There's a different aspect of it that applies to my life every few months. This time, she and I thought we were Roslin and Adama. Turns out we're more like Starbuck and Apollo :(

Sometimes you just gotta roll a hard six, grab your gun and bring in the cat :colbert:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

That wrapped up things better than I thought it would. I feel like it managed to recapture some of the spirit of BSG while still being original. It would have been a good pilot, and it could be a solid jumping off point for another series of webisodes, but I doubt it'll make it as a series.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

One thing that does piss me off is all the Viper Mark IIIs. I was really hoping the commander would say "We've got a Viper with your name on it in the hangar, but it's a Mark II." BSG is pretty adamant that Husker flew a Mark II.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Tighclops posted:

It's really too bad this won't get the chance to improve some more as a TV series, I liked the characters. I really hope Bear releases the soundtrack because it loving ruled.

Agreed! I don't think it'll happen. They won't let him make a soundtrack album for The Walking Dead, even though it is the most popular show on TV.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

BSG's pilot is probably the best pilot I've ever watched. Sure, it's a little long for one sitting but...really?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Rewatching Galactica, I've decided it's best to stop right before Daybreak Parts 2 and 3 and make up your own ending. Literally anything would be better.

I completely disagree with you. There's two ways you can view the finale: as a mediocre resolution to the meta-plot or as a fantastic conclusion to the themes and characters that are what really drove the show. During seasons 1-3, the meta-plot of finding Earth and the mystical elements surrounding that served as the stage for many of the smaller, more well-done elements of the show. Season 4 found itself having to resolve that meta-plot more and more. I'll admit, they more or less wrote themselves into a corner on the plot. They decided, rightly I think, that it was far more important to make sure the resolution of the plot serviced the resolution of the characters and themes. A finale that had primarily focused on making a bang-up spectacular plot resolution would have been dramatically less satisfying that what aired. In the end, I cared about the characters a lot more than I cared about the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Scar rules :colbert:

:hf:

Scar was awesome. If you really hate Starbuck I guess it's a tough one.

The miniseries is really necessary as you go farther into the series. Having watched the series like...three times now, I'm only becoming more impressed with how well the miniseries sets up the themes of the show.

• Locked thread