Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ahahah...are you loving kidding me? Jesus, Syfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The people complaining that Blood and Chrome can't be good just because it focuses on military pilots in a war that's not post-apocalyptic have clearly never seen Space: Above and Beyond.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure that Blood and Chrome was not written "with an almost intentional avoidance on characters and a good plot" and that there's nothing that's been released about it to suggest that other than the "prequels and/or action = completely terrible" mindset.

Considering that the plot synopsis released last summer sounded like something that would logically fit into the BSG universe, as well as containing big tie-ins to both Caprica and the Razor Flashbacks webseries, I think I can say that they definitely didn't just decide, "let's create a pure action spectacle and literally ignore the writing entirely!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DemonNick posted:

The miniseries was consistently good

All two episodes of it!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

incredible bear posted:

So say we all!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

spronk posted:

Back to BSG, has anyone ever read the 4 series Lords of Kobol (free) e-books? Its online at
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78823

I downloaded them onto my kindle but haven't had a chance to read more than a few pages of the first book, looks interesting and it must have taken some dedication to release 4 free novels but wondering if they are any good or weird fanfic? I think all the books take place during the Kobol era, which I guess is thousands of years before BSG.

This is definitely fanfic. I know they released a few official tie-in novels, but that was back when BSG was in its first season. They definitely wouldn't do tie-ins years after the show's end, and looking the guy up it doesn't seem like he's written anything else beyond a few more self-published stuff.

That said if you still read them and say they're good I might check them out...why not? I subjected myself to the terrible BSG tie-in comics, this can't be worse.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Adama posted:

Just watched the trailer that was posted- I think it looks fantastic CGI and action-wise... but did anyone else notice what looks like an alien tentacle at 1:19-:20? I thought aliens were a big no-no in the BSG world.

In the concept art that was released last summer, there was what looked like a Cylon worm-shaped robot, which is what I assume that was.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm at a political theory conference at Cornell this weekend. By complete coincidence, I learned that the guy I'm staying with is teaching a course called "The Politics of Battlestar Galactica". I am hugely jealous of both him and his students.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

truth masseuse posted:

Did anyone else get a lesbian vibe from Admiral Cain? I think she liked Starbuck.

I'm unsure if this is a joke, or if you haven't seen Razor (in which case, yes, Cain is a lesbian). Although it does make me wonder if they decided that Cain should be a lesbian during the filming of the original episodes, or only during Razor's production.

Speaking of, I know this was discussed in the other thread, but I'm planning a rewatch of everything (show, movies, webisodes, Caprica, and Blood and Chrome if it ever comes out) and I was wondering if anyone could remember what the consensus was for when to watch Razor and The Plan. If I remember right, the best order was to watch Razor after "The Captain's Hand" and The Plan after "No Exit"?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Season 3 has a strong first five episodes (along with the last season 2 episodes, I think most people consider it the highlight of the series), and season 3 also has a good end, but a lot of weak points in the middle.

Season 4 similarly has a decent start, and some incredibly strong episodes in the middle, but is also uneven and the show's end is very divisive.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

If he skips the second half of season 4, he will miss out the mutiny arc. I thought those two episodes were pretty loving good, but part of that is because I didn't really know what to expect when they first aired.

I agree that that is one of the highlights of the last two seasons. But at the same time, I think the storyline would have been far more powerful if it had proceeded as originally intended before the writers strike the mutiny succeeds on every ship except the Galactica, they all jump away, and they all get destroyed by the Cylons, leaving the Galactica's crew alone as the last human survivors

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

I actually don't mind the ending, but I always liked Olmos's proposed ending.

The fleet jumps to modern Earth and then we nuke them out of orbit.

There was a comic book remake of Galactica 1980 a few years ago, and this was what happened.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

John Dough posted:

I like the ending and you people are all crazy :colbert: Admittedly, it could have been handled a bit better, but well, writer's strike.

The thing is, the ending they had planned before the writers' strike was much better than the ending they came up with during the strike, and also would have headed off most of the objections people have to the ending we got.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Dude, you missed the point. The whole series was about Hera and getting both societies, Human and Cylon, to the point where a child like her could be accepted and thrive.

She doesn't really 'thrive', though, because it's explicitly stated she dies as a young woman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CrazedEwok posted:

How would you have liked it to end, then?

I know I sound like a broken record, but the original pre-writers-strike ending really was superior on every level, IMO. It's what makes the ending we got so frustrating for me. They had an excellent ending already, and had to go tinker with it.

LooseChanj posted:

I agree that it's pretty insane to think every colonial lived happily ever after, but that wasn't the point. It's that they survived as a species.

They don't, though. They survive as colonials mixed with Cylons mixed with alien cavemen (as pointed out by the Hera bit at the very end). And it's not like their society or culture survived at all, either. Nothing of the colonials remain.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CrazedEwok posted:

Unless you posted it already, what was the original ending? I look stuff up on the BSG Wiki pretty often but I've never heard what exactly that ending was supposed to be... is it in an RDM interview or something?

It was from an RDM interview after the series ended, as I recall. From memory:

-When Ellen returns, it's because she's working with Cavill, and she is the one who kidnaps Hera and takes her to the colony.
-The mutiny is successful on every ship but Galactica. In order to escape the Galactica, Zarek and Gaeta jump the civilian ships away, where they get destroyed by Cavill's Cylon forces.
-As they're now the only human ship left, and no longer have the numbers of means to support the human race, Adama settles on the Hera rescue as a suicide mission/last hurrah for the humans
-Stuff on the colony, the failed peace, etc. go about largely like they do in the actual finale
-When Galactica jumps away from the colony, it's so damaged that it's unable to control itself, and it crashes onto the Earth because they have no choice
-The series would end not with the Mitochondrial Eve National Geographic revelation, but with modern-day archaeologists discovering the Galactica beneath a Mayan pyramid mound

I really like this, not only because it ties in with the ancient alien focus of the original series, but because it allows the same ending as we got but with a lot of the issues people always bring up solved. The destruction of the fleet and the crashing of the Galactica would eliminate any need for the colonials to willingly give up all their technology while still have them able to make some speeches about how this would be a fresh start and give space in the cycle or whatever, and them no longer having enough population to support the human race would also help explain why they decided to start loving cavemen. Also I think by making it that much bleaker it would make the ending on the new lush world that much more emotionally powerful.

CrazedEwok posted:

After reading stuff here, though, I do agree that maybe they should have arrived closer to the start of recorded history. There was really no reason to place it 150,000 years ago...

Up until the finale, I was still really hoping they would be the basis for the Atlantis myth. It seemed to work so perfectly: it would explain the psuedo-Greek religion they had, and the destruction of Atlantis could be explained as another turn in the cycle.

Even when it first showed them landing in Africa, I was semi-convinced they were going to be shown as the creators of Great Zimbabwe (which is another target of the Von Daniken ancient astronaut mythology crowd).

Ultimately though, I still believe the ending we got was inspired by Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DirtyRobot posted:

I like to say, "Sometimes you just gotta roll a hard six" and then stare whomever I'm talking to very sternly in the eye.

Same here.

I also use "No more Mr. Nice Gaius!" a lot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

IRQ posted:

Obama is pretty much already doing that. We should redesign Predator drones to look more like cylon fighters.

I guess Obama is "pretty much" doing that, if Predator strikes are "pretty much" like unleashing biological weapons to completely eradicate an entire race.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I honestly don't get all the Kat hate. If anything I thought that Starbuck was always a bigger rear end to her than she was to Starbuck.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On one of the season 4 features, I think one of the writers said they literally picked Tory out of a hat of characters to be a Final Five. And the actress admitted that it was a godsend that her character actually got to be important.

VaultAggie posted:

On another note, I just finished Razor and although I really liked it, I was a little confused by what was happening. Was that supposed to be a reference to the original series? I've never seen the original so I don't know what the old dude in the stasis tank was talking about or what the hell the cylons were trying to do. Were they trying to create the cylon-human models by experimenting with humans?

As for the guy in the stasis tank, it will make more sense after season 4. Also, a common theory at the time was that the people who were imprisoned were the basis for Leoben and Number Six as the actors for the prisoners kind of looked like them. Although if Caprica season 2 had come out, it probably would have introduced a lot of kinks into that theory (as I recall, it was intended that Zoe Graystone was the original Number Six)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

There's also some fun ties of #7 Daniel and his name connection to the Colonial Cylon's maker Daniel Graystone. Also Graystone to the old man in the tank in Razor. I also had a personal hope that the piano player/Starbuck's dad guy was actually #7 making Starbuck the first hybrid, but that's probably not the case having seen the whole series now.

In a podcast, RDM also hinted that Daniel #7 was connected somehow to Daniel Graystone, although that itself is ambiguous enough to not make it clear whether the two Daniels were actually the same person or the Cylon Daniel was somehow based on Daniel Graystone.

However, some additional evidence to back up the direct connection is that after Caprica ended, Kevin Murphy and Jane Espenson stated that Zoe Graystone was supposed to be the original Number 6, and Tamara Adama was supposed to be the original Number 8 (Sharon/Boomer). I think this gives some interesting new interpretations to the Adama/Sharon scenes in BSG.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alaemon posted:

Did we ever find out who left Adama the "There are twelve Cylon models" note?

Baltar, wasn't it? I want to say either The Plan or some late-season episode confirmed it, even though I thought it was pretty much implied from the start.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

duck monster posted:

I mean even if they where DIFFERENT cylons, surely the older cylons would not have adapted the newer cylons spazzy monotheist cult guff?

This actually would have been covered in Caprica season 2, where the Final Five Cylons make contact with the Colonial Cylons via the holo-matrix thing during their journey from Earth.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I skimmed through the last few pages and didn't see anything new about Blood and Chrome (did learn some new stuff about ancient languages though). So I assume NBC hasn't decided what to do with the movie?

Yeah, it doesn't seem like anything has been said about it since it was announced it wouldn't be picked up. Frankly at this point I'm skeptical even the movie pilot will ever be shown, even on DVD.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snak posted:

If I recall correctly, the Pegasus CIC set was made from leftover parts of a set built for John Woo's Lost in Space reboot.

drat. This is the first I've heard, both of that or of the Lost in Space reboot. Looking it up now, it sounded like it would have been awful anyway. Kind of funny to imagine a show like that winding up contributing its sets to the ultra-bleak Pegasus setting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Old Dirty Custard posted:

I like what I see so far. I thought it was nice touch that the ship Adama arrived in entered through the starboard flight pod since they could never use it in the main series.

I think the shuttle he was on was a ship from the original series. Which makes sense since in the RDM universe, it seems like original series designs are from the Cylon War.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

rocket_man38 posted:

So Galactica has a lot more guns? Awesome! Also if there were only 12 Battlestars during the first war, and Archeron went missing I think someone would loving know. I mean there are only TWELVE ships so it HAS to be a heavy cruiser or something. No Battlestar went into battle alone more than likely.

Galactica was one of the first twelve battlestars, but more were built later. Kara mentions a few dozen at least in the miniseries, as I recall. Plus the Pegasus and its class were built after the original Galactica-types.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dreylad posted:

There's definitely undertones of a weird urban/rural-religious/non-religious divide across planets that gets brought up in both Caprica and BSG.

Season 3 might have been a lot better if they had been given the time to develop that thread some more.

I don't know, maybe it was just because it was truncated, but even so the weird Sagitarron plotline in season 3 was really not that interesting for me. I know they were planning a story arc about Baltar having ordered a massacre of them on New Caprica or something and that doesn't really sound like it would have been a whole lot better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

I wonder if there is a difference in how the show was viewed between people who saw the show from the start with the standard theme music, and those who initially watched it in the US when the had the more military music for the first season.

I honestly preferred the US first season theme music more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

harlequin baby posted:

I've got nothing to do tonight. Is The Plan worth getting from iTunes? I hear mixed reviews.

I think Brother Cavil really benefits from it, if (like me) you're a fan of him. At the very least there's a lot of good lines from him. Also the opening sequence with the attack on the Colonies is pretty great.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also liked Caprica even if I thought the Matrix stuff was overdone also.

I will say that even with that, my biggest issue with the series was the Willy Adama switcheroo but I think with a second season, to help develop him more in turn, I wouldn't be so irritated at it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Cylons here seem to be a cross between the Caprica-type Cylons and the Cylons from the cancelled Bryan Singer attempt to relaunch the show:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/File:DeSanto_Singer_Project_Cylon.jpg

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Also, what's the take on the BSG(RDM, of course) comics? I seem to recall them being university reviled, but I can't remember if I made that up or not.

The Zarek mini-series was extremely good, the rest not at all worth trying to read. Although I did find it funny that one storyline of the RDM-BSG comics basically presaged the Final Five concept a few years before it was actually used in the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's not BSG related, but it looks like Moore may finally be getting another series at Syfy:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/ron-moore-thriller-helix-nears-series-order-at-syfy/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that's what I thought of, too.

Speaking of which, how exactly did RDM's script for The Thing remake differ from the actual movie? Did anyone outside the studio ever get a chance to read or review it?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Why do so many people hate Kat so much? I never got the fan hatred of that character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just in case anyone you know wants to watch it but doesn't like YouTube, the full Blood and Chrome is airing tonight on Syfy at 8.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The guy who was commander of the Galactica in B&C also had a recurring role on Caprica as a police investigator (basically the same role he plays in Continuum...another sci-fi Vancouver show). And Caprica itself also featured a number of BSG actors.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked B&C too, and I'm not afraid to say so. :colbert: Was it as amazing as BSG? No. But I thought given the constraints they had to work with, and the fact they were aiming for a different kind of show than BSG (or Caprica), it was absolutely suitable and something I would have watched weekly, and not merely because of BSG loyalty.

Astroman posted:

Reading this thread though, and thinking about how divisive the BSG finale was, as well as how many people just hated Caprica, I just now realize we will never have another BSG universe series. People either like the religious stuff and cultural stuff or hate it.

See, ideally this is why I think Caprica and Blood and Chrome should have been coordinate better in development to come out at the same time. Caprica then could have ideally focused more on the philosophical and "big issues" stuff, and B&C could have done the space combat stuff, rather than people angry that the one didn't include the other (or, conversely, angry at one including both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Unfortunately, I don't think B&C is flopping around so much as it is dead as can be, by this point.

skooma512 posted:

The funny thing is the show has a built in explanation for having BSG actors in prequels. "All this has happened before".

From the little hints Bryan Singer has dropped I'm pretty sure the cycle is going to be a part of his BSG movie (assuming it ever gets made). He's said it's going to be its own independent storyline, but still tie in with both the original BSG and RDM versions. Which seems to me like each BSG version is going to just be a different part of the cycle. Which is actually fine by me. BSG Multiverse ahoy.

• Locked thread