Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grand Fromage posted:

loving poo poo goddamn die in a fire Syfy the gently caress is wrong with everybody at that channel. Why would we want to put science fiction on the science fiction channel that's just retarded, buy more wrestling! Wrestling!

:suicide:

Keep in mind, these are the people who decided that Sci-Fi was for "nerds in their parents basements" so they changed their name to the, far less geeky, SyFy (which I will forever pronounce siffy)

Mister Kingdom posted:

Now Syfy will have more money to make movies about mutant sea creatures.

Hoo-loving-ray.

10 year old wrestling clips don't grown on trees you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't dislike prequels not necessarily because I know how the story will end. That can make interesting storytelling more difficult, but not impossible. I generally dislike prequels because they often mess up the original story. Either some characters/entities actions don't make any sense now based on their past events, or you find out something the significantly lessens the impact of a major event in the original story. At worst, prequels just retcon a ton of poo poo.

Blood and Chrome could be good, but odds are eventually they will do something like introduce Tigh and some doctor will discover he's not human and either get killed or the government will cover it up or something. Or maybe we learn the government knew about the final five arriving and why the war ended all along, but never told anyone, and were in secret communication with Ellen the whole time.

You're right, of course, that all of this can be sidestepped by good writing, but there are just so many more mistakes to be made.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What are you people talking about? O'Brien was just a lowly non commissioned crewman when he, his squad, (maybe some civilians), and a jammed transporter were surrounded by quickly advancing Cardassians. That is the day he 'discovered' how good he was at fixing things. Namely jammed transporters. He's the 'Hero of Setlik III' because he was able to transport all those people to safety.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Astroman posted:

I didn't really "hate" either ending, though I was more satisfied with how they left the characters in :lost:.

With that one, even as a continuity and exposition hungry sci-fi nerd, I realized that the show was about the characters and their journey, not about the macguffins or technobabble. That stuff was neat, but that wasn't the point. And we got to see a "50 years later" (or 1000 or whatever for Hurley and Ben) where they meetup in Purgatory and everyone is happy and actualized and going to Heaven or whatever. We got to see how the events of the Island affected them, whether they died there or years later and how they affected each other and the world. So that was cool. I didn't need more.

I could not possibly disagree more about Lost. Think back to the first few season, and how it was presented and marketed. The show was always about the mystery. What's the deal with the island, who are the others, whats in the vault, what is the smoke monster, etc. No one watched the first season and then stuck around for 5 more seasons just cause they wanted to see if Kate would pick Jack or Sawyer, or if the Korean couple would be able to fix their marriage, or if Charlie could kick his drug habit. The writers trying to change the entire premise of the show at the end to cover up their incredibly lazy writing, and acting like whoever doesn't like it just "didn't get Lost" is ridiculous.

There were certainly things I didn't like about the end of BSG, but since the rest of the show isn't built around this huge mystery you're waiting for at the end, it's still great to rewatch.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DarkCrawler posted:

Unlike LOST the good parts of the show are not at all reliant to those mysteries, so there is that.

This is mostly what I was trying (and failing) to say. Most of BSG stands on it's own.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Simiain posted:

snivelling wanker

I admit that Balter was one of the most interesting characters, but I'm certain if you looked up the phrase "snivelling wanker" in the colonial dictionary his face would be right there, certainly not Gaeta's. The only reason to not be in favor of his execution is the colonials decided to charge him with literally the only thing he's done that wasn't treasonous.

For a long time I felt that Gaeta was the most tragic character on the show, and I still think that way when I forget about that webisode thing they did.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

General Battuta posted:

I'm pretty sure they actually said exactly the opposite on numerous occasions - they had no five year plan and never outlined except in the broadest strokes. The last half-season, for example, changed considerably during the writer's strike (Ellen teamed up with Cavil, the civilian fleet was destroyed, Galactica crashed on Earth); the Final Five were invented in the writer's room when they broke the season 3 finale.

The original ending they came up with always sounded so much better than what they did. Originally the mutiny caused the civilian fleet to jump away, where they all get killed when Cavil finds them. The Galactica figures the human race is over no matter what, and their ship is about to break anyways, why not make a suicide run to try and save a little girl from a lovely fate? When they jump out, it's into (new) Earth's gravity well and they crash, leaving them with no choice but to live on the planet. Also it's ancient Greece, not caveman times.

I have no idea how they could have made Starbuck less stupid though, except to leave her dead. Why did they bring her back anyways, was she really just that popular?

And since it comes up every time this thread talks about the ending; Yes, as early as the first half of season 1 it became very apparent that god/religion/divine intervention was going to be a major part in this show. That does not change fact that tying up plots with "Welp, god did it I guess" is lazy and bad. It's possible to have religious themes without resorting to deus ex machina.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm pretty sure Billy would have been if he hadn't left the show, considering that not-Billy ended up being a final five. The problem with that setup is that 3 out of the 5 were already dead. Also, Cavil was the Priest cylon already. :catholic:

Anything that would have given Doc Cottle more screen time I would have been very much in favor of. Best space doctor in the history of space. And doctors.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Thwomp posted:

Since they landed in Africa and the Neanderthals were mostly located in northern climes, perhaps the colonials helped Homo sapiens conquer them?

Tyrol killed or chased all the Neanderthals off of England Tyrol Scotia.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Friendly Factory posted:

The real reason the Neanderthals are gone (interbreeding with humans) syncs pretty well with the gaius baltar "gently caress everything with two legs" policy.

That's better.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I could extol the virtues of the show's cinematography all drat day, but upon my nth rewatch with a new roommate I can't get over how perfect the scenes in Adama's quarters always look. There is this gorgeous hearth fire kind of warmth to it, complemented beautifully by the set and the antique furniture. The way the lighting plays with the contours of Adama's pock-marked face is beautiful. Olmos's face is a loving masterpiece.

I always loved the way they put those quarters together. It's full of all this stuff that makes it really look like a person lives there, but you can still see the stark metal bulkheads and deck underneath it warm furniture and rugs and stuff.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

satan!!! posted:

And why did Gaius give the nuke to that 6?

The real answer is because he is an terrible, unredeemable person who does incredibly selfish things to progress the plot.

Other than that, I think it was either because Head Six told him to, or he wanted to sleep with her. Or both.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It is absolutely worth it.

The parts of the ending that suck really suck, but the things the ending does right are just as amazing. Plus the second half of the s4 has one of my favorite arcs in it, in addition to the ending.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Overdrift posted:

I actually liked the ending. It didn't exactly answer all the burning questions everyone had, but I felt like the story ended to my satisfaction. But then again I also liked the Lost finale, so maybe I'm sadistic. :gibs:

Starbuck's conclusion was really satisfying and it made sense becau-

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

-se the point was that it didn't matter what she had become or what it meant about who she was before, just like the show asserts that it doesn't matter if you're a Cylon or if you're a human. She is a conscious being, flawed, and just along for the ride like everyone else. She is not a what; she is a who.

Is she a conscious being? What's that based on? She's not mortal, mortals don't poof into being and then disappear when someone turns their head. She's a plot device, a second Arrow of Apollo, there to do a thing and literally wink out of existence afterwards. She's not really flawed, and she is certainly not along for the ride like anyone else either.

I'm talking specifically about whatever came back at the end of season 3, Starbuck before that was pretty great. She started out a little Mary Sue but ended up a fun, hosed up mess of a character. Boxing incidents not withstanding.

What happens on the screen is that in "Islanded on a Stream of Stars" Lee tells Kara "I don't care you who are. You're just Kara," and in the finale, Adama takes her by the arm and in one of their best moments together in the entire show, he says "I know what you are. You're my daughter." That's who Kara Thrace is. Science fiction has a long tradition of rethinking and complicating the notion of self, and of course in America it is historically entwined with the Civil Rights movement. If using family and love as motifs to evoke emotional responses and challenge society's affliction of intolerance is somehow offensive to your taste, I won't get in your way, but don't pretend like the message isn't there.

Yes. That's it, you've figured it out. Starbuck definitely represents family and love to challenge society's affliction of intolerance, and not the writers painting themselves into a corner. Also, good call implying anyone who doesn't agree with you as being racist.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Deus ex machina and "god did it" are excellent story conclusions because ~*~Themes~*~

If you don't think so, you must be a euphoric, fedora wearing internet atheist. You also probably live in your parents basement.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This comes up all the time in TV IV and it never makes any sense to me. I guess if you don't care enough about a TV to watch the entire thing, that's your prerogative.

What makes the whole thing absolutely stupid is you immediately take time out of your (apparently busy) day to get on the internet and tell everyone how you didn't watch the show, and all about your opinion about the thing you didn't watch.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I think young Adama skydiving and battling a centurion mid-air was the stupidest thing that ever happened anywhere in BSG.

Wait what?

I didn't watch BSG until the entire thing was over, but I don't remember this happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

vyelkin posted:

I think the biggest difference was the lack of unanimity, and the reciprocal aspect of it. There were humans who were close to if not as bad as the cylons, but we only really see their actions after the cylons have already committed genocide on a massive scale. Adama and Roslin wanting to kill the cylons with that virus is pretty understandable when the cylons already wiped out 99% of humanity with nuclear weapons (and had been following them trying to kill them for several years by that point), and the 'oh, a human fighter crossed our border once' argument doesn't justify that in any way. However, even when they had the motive and means to do so, another human acting on his own was able to stop their plan because he thought it was morally wrong. The cylons, on the other hand, only have moral qualms about their actions long after they've already committed genocide, and even then their response is not to stop the pursuit and leave humanity alone, but rather to try and 'live peacefully' with them by occupying, enslaving, and murdering them on New Caprica. There's a unanimity to the cylons' bad actions that the humans simply don't have, and humanity undertaking a lot of their actions is a lot more understandable given the revenge and survival aspect of it all.

I'm glad to finally see someone say this. I avoid this thread because people constantly poo poo on the humans for "attempting genocide" while defending the cylons, who started the show out with genocide and spend the entire rest of the series trying to finish the job.

• Locked thread